Alleghany County Family Genealogies
GAMBILL - DAVENPORT Research Findings
GAMBRELLA - Vol. 1, No. 2, Summer, 1997
Henry GAMBILL and Mary DAVENPORT
It is believed that Henry Gambill's parents were Thomas and Ann Gambill; however, this has not been proven. Henry, b. early 1700's, d. 1775, married Mary Davenport, daughter of Martin Davenport and Dorothy Harralson. Various legal records continue to be available for this family in Hanover, Louise, Spotsylvania, and Culpeper Counties, Virginia. Henry and Mary had seven known children - John, William, Benjamin, Henry Jr., Thomas, Martin, and Sarah.
1. John - See article in this issue.
2. William, b. Ca 1740, in Virginia and died in 1779 in Wilkes County, North Carolina. He married ca 1758-60, Mary Johnson Wash, the daughter of Thomas and Sarah Wash, in Virginia. He moved to Wilkes County around 1777 (then Surry County), and died in 1779, where he left a will that named all of his children.
3. Benjamin was born in 1747, probably in Louisa County, Virginia. He was young enough to have moved with his parents to Culpeper County, Virginia around 1753.
4. Henry, Jr. probably was born in Hanover County, Virginia, and went with his parents to Culpeper County, Virginia around 1753. Various theories pertain to the activities of Henry, Jr. These include moving to Albemarle County, Virginia, being in Davidson County, North Carolina during the Revolution War Period and then moving to SC/TN, etc.
5. Thomas was born in 1752 in Virginia. He served in the Revolutionary War and applied for a pension in Giles County, Tennessee in 1818. His wife may have been Regina.
6. Martin Cleveland was born 5/29/1750 in Culpeper County, Virginia, and died on 2/20/1812 in Ashe County, NC. He married Nancy Nall, and had a family. He served in the Revolutionary War, was Sheriff of Ashe County, North Carolina, and was a member of the North Carolina Legislative Body.
7. Sarah was born around 1745 in Virginia, and she died on 2/20/1828 in Lafayette, Louisiana. She married John White (Whyte) around 1765, who was the son of James Taylor White and Elizabeth Sparks.
Submitted by Hazel Roche', 6324 Brushy Mountain Rd., Moravian Falls, NC 28654, or RRoche@InfoAve. Net.
This page was last updated
October 4, 2008.