Alleghany County Family Genealogies
HACKLER - HALSEY - LANDRETH - WYATT
THE NEW RIVER FRONTIER SETTLEMENT
Published in the Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, V86: pgs. 413-431 (1978). This electronic version prepared by Paul B. Anderson FCCS (USN, Retired), Norfolk, Virginia [Used With Permission]
THE NEW RIVER FRONTIER
John Hackler had acres on Middle Fox Creek prior to 1795 (Survey Book, 1,298). Also Peter H., p.292. John H. is found in census, 1820 50, where states he was b. in PA (Grayson Co. VA census, U.S.) See Peter in census also. Note: A Rudolph H. was in Phil. Co. Pa. in 1734, same as Hash family. Also note: John H. m. Catherine Delp. 1815 tax list shows Geo. G. and Coonrad H. with land on Elk Creek. Hackler is of German origin according to F. B. Kegley (Sayers, 213).
Halsey is originally an English name, then found in records in New England and Long Island. Also found on the Eliz. Town, NJ Petition. James Halsey was in Mont. Co. VA records in 1786; in 1815 Moses H. had land on Wilson Creek. Many Halseys lived along the VA-NC border near Mouth of Wilson in Grayson, Ashe, and Alleghany counties. For further records, see Rufus Clinton Halsey, Halsey, 3 vols. Also refer to Guy and Jane Halsey, Independence, VA.
Nathaniel Landreth served in Osborne's militia, Mont. Co., VA, 1781, as did a William Landerith. They were both on the list in 1785 also. In 1813 John Landreth bought 50 acres on Saddle Creek from Daniel and Eleanor Jones. (Grayson Hist. Soc.)
William Wyatt is on the Mont. Co. militia list. On the 1815 tax list John Wyatt (also spelled Wiatte) is shown with land on Saddle Creek. Many Wyatts were on the NC side of the line.
This page was last updated August