Meherrin River forms the Northampton-Hertford County Line and then flows across Hertford County into the Chowan River.
Bertie Courthouse. This was the original County Seat which had to be relocated when Northampton County was created in 1741.
Harry Thompson has written a book about "The Lost Town of Cashie"
Cashie River visible as main artery through the county
Meherrin Indian Tribe Housing....3 hut symbols.
Tuscarora Indian Tribe and Tuscarora Town on the Roanoke River Chapel is St. John's Chapel were the first courthouse was located.
History of This Map
From: William P. Cumming The Southeast in Early Maps and North Carolina in Maps
The actual work on the map was completed in 1767 by William Churton of Edenton, surveyor for the Granville District, who had presented his draft to Gov. Tryon, but died in December of that year before the final draft was made.
Capt John A. Collet, a Swiss by birth, was assigned by Goeorge III to Fort Johnson. He had become Gov. Tryon's aide-de-camp and was given the maps which he revised. The map provided a network of roads and settlement, though most of the roads were little more than "wide bridle paths".
"The Indian Trading Path still continued to be the chief route north to the James River and south to Charlestown. Lack of communication and trasnportation within the provice was a serious problem".