Official records reveal that Powellsville was incorporated 6 March 1919; however, it is thought that this community (shown as Powell's Cross Roads on the April, 1863 Gilmer Map) was probably established in 1879. This latter date is noteworthy, for on 15 September 1880, Joseph B. Ruffin and his wife, Mary E. Ruffin, and Frank Askew, deeded for ten dollars to Edward P. Simons, W.B. Claiton, W.H. Tayloe, J.J. Perry, Joseph Leary, William Miers (of Bertie County) and D.V. Sessoms, J.L. Jenkins and J.J. Scull (of Hertford County), Trustees In Trust, 1 2/7 acres "for the use and benefit of the Methodist Episcopal Church South".
The deed recorded in Bertie County Deed Book VV, Pages 518-520, further states, "...the said trustees shall erect or cause to be erected on said land" ( "on the publick road from Powellsville to Pitch Landing", now Bethelem Church Road) "a house of Religious worship, in which, at all times, such ministers and preachers as shall from time to time be duly authorized to preach the Gospel and administer the Sacraments of the church, shall have the privalage to officiate, according to the rules and regulations of said Methodist Episcopal Church South as may be adopted or enacted by the General and Annual conferences of such church."
It is thought that the church was built in the 1881-1882 era, making it 117-118 years old. This modest, simple building (constructed of wood) has a shingled steeple and roof, the latter having been covered with a tin roof for preservation purposes. A small room, used for Sunday School purposes was added to the rear of the building a number of years after the original structure was constructed. Oil, then kerosene lamps were used to illuminate the interior. A pot-bellied stove was used to heat the sanctuary in earlier years. A cemetery, no longer in use, is located on the church grounds.
The small, lovely stained glass windows which grace the chancel, were dedicated in memory of William H. Tayloe (died September 14, 1884) and Frances Tayloe (died July 3, 18--8); William B. Cleaton (died July 30, 1896); John W. Britton (born June 24, 1886 - died April 27, 1894) and Lunis Cyrus Britton (born May 24, 1894 - died October 1, 1894).
J.O. Moss was one of the earliest ministers associated with the Powellsville Methodist Episcopal Church South. Charter members were Lucy A. Britton, Bettie Bryan, Sallie Casper, L.E. Cleaton, William B. Cleaton, J.B. Freeman, Lettie S. Gilliam, Sarah H. Myers, Wright Powell, Frances S. Tayloe, Kate Tayloe, William H. Tayloe, Eliza Sessoms, D.V. Sessoms and Martha P. Sessoms.
The earliest Sunday School records that survive are from the 1909-1910 era.
Members listed included:
D.C. Miller A.S. Wynns John C. Britton (Superintendent) Hattie Tayloe Fannie Tayloe (Teacher) Hattie Brown W.S. Tayloe Mary Wynns James Hill Lee Price Thomas Dildy Bessie Arrington L.S. Stoke Sadie L. Britton Talmadge Wynns Willie Tayloe Addie Wynns Lucie Tayloe Leon Alston Rusville Overton Rue Holloman Lucie A. Britton Mary Overton Nannie Dildy Fannie Dildy Joseph Ruffin Sidney Taylor Mary Hill Leslie Casper Irene Overton Ella Mary Holly Paul Tayloe Braxton Wynns Winston Ruffin Elizabeth Ruffin Rexwill Brown Joseph Dildy Rosie Hill Minnie Hill L.R. Sessions Tinie Sessions Sarah E. Holly Spurgeon Powell (name marked through) A. Lee Powell (name marked through)
The Powellsville Methodist Church continues in operation and is served by a
circuit minister. Services are held once monthly.
Prepared by Lynn McCarthy
Prologue taken from the Seventy-Fifth Anniversary Booklet of The Powellsville Baptist Church, September 30, 1984:
"Baptists began to appear in North Carolina as early as the year 1695, but it was not until thirty years later that the people began to construct church buildings. As early settlers in this new world, they were busy establishing themselves as farmers and constructing rude huts for homes. They chose the groves that nature provided along the river banks as suitable places to gather for worship and fellowship. It was in these lovely settings that the strong-willed Baptist followers would read the Bible, offer prayers, preach and sing songs of redeeming grace.
The establishment became discontented with these gatherings and sought ways to prevent them. As a direct action to halt these gatherings, laws were passed in 1715 which required that meetings of 'dissenters' should be public. The strong will of these early Baptist leaders prevailed and the authorities were unsuccessful in stopping the gatherings. Baptists continued to preach the Gospel and, with these firm foundations established, the first Baptist Church was organized in 1727 in the area of Perquimans County. From these early beginnings, the Baptist faith has spread throughout the state and has resulted in the founding of many more churches."
Dedicated citizens in the community of Powellsville "with their spiritual needs in mind and the belief that a church can be the greatest transforming power in any community", banded together to form a Missionary Baptist Church.
On December 29, 1909 M.A. Adams, S.B. Barnes, A.T. Howell and J.R. Matthews met in the Powellsville school building to organize the church. Bethlehem, Holly Grove and Mars Hill churches furnished members and deacons to this new church, which had 35 charter members. Accepted as deacons from other churches were Josiah Brown and J.E. Matthews. Elected and ordained as new deacons were D.C. Miller, Dr. J.B. Ruffin, Sr. and A.S. Wynns. J.E. Matthews was elected first Sunday School superintendent.
On January 10, 1910, just 17 days after the church was organized, J.O. Askew and his wife, Mary D. Askew and W.P. Shaw and his wife, Mary R. Shaw of Hertford County deeded to J.B. Ruffin and A.S. Wynns, Church Trustees, for $50, 15/16 acre of land for the Powellsville Missionary Baptist Church (Bertie County Deed Book 212, Page 227).
A building program was established and in the fall of 1910, the new church had been constructed. Serving as the initial pastor was J.R. Matthews, followed by the Reverend C.P. Jones who arrived in April, 1910. Services were held the first Sunday of each month. The first revival service began September 5, 1910.
The financial burdens of the church were heavy at this point. A.T.Howell worked diligently to strengthen the church's treasury. It was through donations of neighboring churches and the support of the membership that the church was debt free in December, 1912. It was said of two trustees, in James Earl Cowan's paper on "Powellsville Baptist Church, 1909 - 1995", "trustees Ruffin and Wynns deserve special mention...because their influence continues in the church to this day. Dr. Ruffin, aside from his work as trustee and deacon, was an old-time country doctor who made house calls as far away as Askewville and chose to work with country people who sometimes paid his fees with eggs and chickens. He never got rich. Augustus S. 'Gus' Wynns, the other trustee, was head of a family which contributed several charter members to the church whose descendants are active deacons and leaders in the church today."
In March, 1913 the Reverend Scott, considered the Founding Father of the church, delivered his final sermon. Reverend H.F. Brinson followed as second pastor in May, 1913. Under his leadership, the first Women's Missionary Society was formed. In October, 1913 Mrs. J.B. Ruffin, Sr. was elected President. Since that time and for 86 years, the WMS of Powellsville Baptist Church has made a significant contribution to the church throught its mission programs.
During the pastorship of the Reverend H.H. Honeycutt (1914-1917), the church initiated an "Every Member Canvass". Conducted by members, these canvasses were designed to "establish a basis for the spiritual needs of the membership". Significantly, under the guidance of the Reverend N.H. Shepperd (1918-1920), the first Baptist Young People's Union was formed to serve the young people of the community.
Serving the church for nine years (1920-1929) was the Reverend L.E. Dailey. In May, 1924 a building committee (W.L. Early, J.E. Jordan, H.O. Raynor, P.L. Raynor, and W.A. Wynns) was formed after the membership voted to build a new parsonage.
By 1930 with the new parsonage constructed (and trustees, the Reverend L.E. Dailey, T.W. Hollomon and J.E.R. Perry, named), the need for Sunday School rooms became a priority. A building program was initiated for a Sunday School extension and Mrs. J.J. Alston, G.W. Belch, Sr., Mrs. H.O. Raynor and J.J. Tayloe were engaged to seek notes and monies for the construction. "By March, 1931, the committee had solicited $1,889.91 in cash, 6,560 feet of lumber, and 30 days of labor." Through the leadership of the Reverend K.E. Byrant and the efforts of the membership, this building program too was brought to a point of fruition.
Reverend Bryant served for 12 years (1929-1941). It was said that "he carefully ministered to the congregation and his influence was long recognized in later activites of the church." In 1938 a porch and bell tower were added to the front of the sanctuary, giving the church its present-day appearance. In April, 1945 the Askew heirs deeded additional land to the church. In 1948 new pews and a new heating system were installed.
During the 1940's, Powellsville Baptist Church had been in a field with Bethany, Bethlehem and Center Grove Baptist churches. Bethany withdrew and Holly Grove joined the field. In 1954, Center Grove Baptist Church and Powellsville Baptist Church formed a two-church field with Powellsville furnishing the parsonage. The Reverend D.M. Spell was the first minister to serve this two-church field.
The 1950's saw the addition to the church of a nursery and restrooms; the establishment of a Brotherhood organization for male members of the church; and the development of a church library under the direction of Mrs. W.A. Wynns. New carpet was installed; a new piano, new choir robes and new hymnals were purchased. It was the teachings and inspiration of Reverend Spell and his wife, that had a far-reaching impact on the youth of the church in the 1950's. Their loving devotion to the spiritual needs of the youth was perhaps made greater through the untimely loss of twin daughters on October 14, 1955. Crossing the road after a youth choir rehearsal, their daughters were accidently killed by a passing log truck. No event before or after so galvinized the church family.
The Reverend A.C. Sanders followed Reverend Spell, who resigned in April, 1960. In 1963, the procurement of a better parsonage was realized. The old one was sold to members, Ray Tayloe and his wife, Elizabeth, and the new one, belonging to Mamie Hoggard, was purchased for $17,500. Reverend R.O. Brown first occupied the new parsonage. In 1964, the note was paid in full, a new roof was placed on the sanctuary, and the church was painted.
Five pastors served Powellsville Baptist Church in the 1960's. Renovations to the church continued; additions to the parsonage were made; a new organ was purchased totally through the donations and memorial gifts of church members and friends; the tradition of presenting new Bibles to all high school graduates was begun. Most memorable was the presentation in December, 1967 of a Christmas cantata presented by the combined choirs of Center Grove and Powellsville Baptist churches.
The past three decades have been marked by numerous building programs (including the brick veneer added to the structure in the 1970's), but none more significant than the one that saw the completion of the fellowship hall and baptistry in 1997. This fulfilled a 35 year old dream of the pastors and congregation. (Baptisms had formerly been held at Stoney Creek.)
Land adjoining the church property was deeded to the church in 1977 by the family of Bessie H. Mitchell, which allowed for expansion of the church building.
The church celebrated its seventy-fifth anniversary on September 30, 1984 with a special homecoming celebration, attended by 250 present and former members as well as descendants of former members. The Reverend D.M. Spell spoke at the morning service. Former pastors and members spoke in the afternoon session. Oldest members present were Mrs. Sue Wynns and Mrs. Alice Dilday, both now deceased.
In November, 1984, the long-time association with Center Grove in the church field was severed. The last pastor to serve the two-church field was the Reverend J.H. Mace.
B.A. Mitchell, son of Mr. and Mrs. W.T. Mitchell and J.B. Wynns, son of Mr. and Mrs. Braxton Wynns, both entered the ministry from Powellsville Baptist Church. Mitchell was ordained by the Reverend K.E. Bryant in 1933 and Wynns was licensed to preach in 1972.
Church membership in 1936 totalled 329. In 1995, the membership stood at 233. Suinday School enrollment in 1934 was 230. In 1995, the enrollment was 125.
The advancement of Powellsville Baptist Church has come through many materialistic accomplishments, but these accomplishments were and remain today, directed toward the spiritual needs of the members and the community and "the advancing the Kingdom of God...."
"Powellsville Baptist Church has every reason to take pride in its past accomplishments; to rejoice in its blessings and in its many saintly members who have given generously of their talents and resources in building and maintaining this House of Worship...." "The church should not, nor does it take this backward look for the purpose of congratulating itself or resting upon its labors, but only with the hope and the prayer that it may be inspired to greater things in the future. Just as it did in its early years when its members were few and its problems great",... the church "calls for men and women of ability, courage and wisdom, of patience in service, and of faith in God who will labor unsparingly and unselfishly to maintain the high standards set by those who served so faithfully and so well...."
Pastors of Powellsville Baptist Church C.P. Scott 1910-1913 H.F. Brinson 1913 H.H. Honeycutt 1914-1917 N.H. Shepperd 1918-1920 L.E. Dailey 1920-1929 K.E. Bryant 1929-1941 J.U. Teague 1942-1948 T.H. Williams 1948-1954 D.M. Spell 1954-1960 A.C. Sanders 1960-1963 R.O. Brown 1963-1965 H.R. Orr 1965-1969 C.C. Wells 1969-1970 J.H. Mace 1972-1991 C.T. Edmondson 1991-present Clerks D.C. Miller M.L. Rayner J.E.R. Perry J.J. Tayloe Ella A. Raynor J.C. Hoggard Oma D. Askew Sunday School Superintendents J.E. Matthews W.E. Matthews J.W. Raynor L.H. Freeman W.L. Early H.O. Raynor J.C. Early C.B. Harrell C.L. Askew J.D. Hoggard J.M. Askew C.D. Hoggard T.E. Bass C.B. Jones, Jr. J.E. Cowan E.L. Swain, Jr. R.D. Smith S.M. Freeman T.T. Tayloe
On July 25, 1944 an Honor Day was held to pay tribute to the young men of Powellsville Baptist Church who served their country in World War II. Listed in the Church Minutes were:
Cecil Barnes Johnnie Barnes Savage Barnes John Bass Thomas E. Bass Johnnie Burch Fred Carter Sidney Castello James A. Cowan James E. Cowan Raymond Cowan Rupert Cowan Thomas H. Dilday Carlton Early Vernon Early Garland Harmon Jack Harrell George A. Harrell Edgar Herring Milton Hester Joseph C. Hoggard Elmo Holloman J.C. Holloman Raymond Holloman J.C. Jones Marshall Jones Dr. W.P. Jordan Rudolph McKeel Wallace McKeel Eugene Mizelle Charlie Oakey Lewis Overton Charlie Raynor Merrill Raynor Vernon Raynor Howard Robertson Jesse Robertson Guy Ruffin Dr. J.B. Ruffin, Jr. Dr. Winston Ruffin Wilson Saunders William Sessoms Clyde Ward
Prepared by Lynn McCarthy
The original Holly Grove Baptist Church Minutes date to September 7, 1822 and read as follows:
"Minutes and proceedings of the Church at Holly Grove formaley the Church at Outlaws Chappel - met according to appointment Sermon by Elder Hilrey Morriss a door opened for members, on motion it was ordered that a Reccord be made of the death of our beloved Brother John Mitchell who departed this life the 6th day of August A.D. 1822 on motion it was ordered that absenttees should render an excuse for their non attendance and if they miss two conferences that they be cited to attend Agreed we adjourn prayer By Elder Morriss---"It was apparently in 1825 that Outlaw's Chapel officially became Holly Grove Baptist Church for the Minutes for September 10 reflected, "...on motion brethren J.P. Freeman J.J. Hoggard W. Spivey and D. Pruden were appointed a cammity to rase a church fund & report to our next con. Agreed that Brother Pruden take the Deede for the meeting house Land & get it Registered."
The name of the church was apparently taken from the numerous holly trees which covered the property, for in the January 12, 1828 Minutes, a resolution was made "that we meet at this place next friday for the purpose of cleaning up the Grove".
While other pastors have been mentioned as associated with Outlaw's Chapel, the first recording in the Minutes of a pastor for Holly Grove was April 26, 1826. Brother W.H. Jordan was chosen. Noteworthy to mention is the fact that no membership lists survive prior to 1893 for a church which reached its 195th year of continuous operation in 1999.
The original Church Covenant reads as follows:
"Forasmuch as almighty God by Grace has been pleased to call us whose names are underneath assigned out of darkness into his marvelous light & all of us have been Regularley Baptised under a profession of our faith in Christ Jesus & have given up our selves to the Lord & to one another in a Gospel Church way To be governed and guided by a proper deciplen agreable to the word of God We do therefore in the name of our Lord Jesus & by his assistance Covenant & agree to keep up the deciplen of the church we are members of In the most brotherley affection towards each other while we endever punctualey to observe the following Rules (Viz)----1st In Brotherley love to pray for each other, to watch over one another & if need be in the most tender & affectionate manner to Reprove each other That is if we discover aneything amiss in a brother to go & tell him his fault according to the direction given in the eighteenth chapter of Saint Matthews gospel, & not to be whispering & backbiteing, we also agree with Gods assistance to pray in our famileys, attend our church meetings, observe the Lords day & keep it holey, & not abcent our selves from the communion of the Lords supper without a lawful excuse To be reddy to communicate to the defraying of the church Expenses & for the support of the ministrey not erregularley to depart from the fellowship of the church without a Regular dismission, these things we do covenant & agree to observe & keep sackred in the name of & by the assistance of the holey trinity Amen-----Signed by the mutual concent of the members whose names are underneath assigned."
This Covenant was read at every conference. The Church roll was called at every meeting. Those who had been absent were required to cite excuses for non-attendance. Grievances were brought before the church membership. If the brothers and sisters failed to confess their "misconduct" and ask for the forgiveness of the brethen, they were merely excluded from the membership.
The Minutes that exist begin in 1822. George Williams was first mentioned 13 December 1828 as Brother George Williams. In January 1829, he was referred to as Elder. He was unanimously chosen to pastor the church for one year on 09 March 1833. On 29 March 1833, he accepted the call of the church to serve them as pastor for the one year provided that the church would change their meeting times from the second to the 1st Sunday in each month.
In the 12 April 1834 Minutes, $24 for his services during the previous year was mentioned. On 03 May of the same year, he agreed to serve "as long as convenient". In May 1835, he and Henry White agreed to serve the church together. In March 1836, the church wanted Mr. Williams and Mr. White to serve again. Henry White served.
On March 31, 1860 during the pastorship of John Delk, a committee was appointed to discuss the subject of repairing the existing meeting house or building a new one. On May 5 of the same year, the committee (consisting of J.P. Freeman, James S. Mitchell and J.W. Cowin) recommended that a new structure be built. Such recommendation was adopted and the same committee was charged with carrying out said recommendation.
The indebtedness for this structure was $896.15. The amount raised by subscriptions was $803.63. Following is a description of the building to be constructed (and which stands today) from the May 5, 1860 Minutes: "...we reckomend the building of a new house 32 by 40 feet long 16 feet from sill to plate with the End fronting the Road with 2 doors in the front End Pulpit & 2 windows in the Back end & 3 windows in each Side with a Galory all Round except the Pulpit end which is to be entered by a door outside of the house Said house to be built of good Sound Substantial timber plastored Sealed painted & whitewashed inside and out & to be underpined with open Brick work all round the whole to be made of good material & Executed in a neat & workmanlike manner the House to stand where the oald one Stands & that to be worked up in the new one where it will answer the purpose...."
Not long after the completion of the new church and during the conference held on June 6, 1863, the Minutes reveal the motion, ..."all the members of this church that have left & gone to the yankees are excluded & the clerk appointed to ascertain the no. & names of those gone & report to our next meeting". Subsequent Minutes through 1865 disclosed that those who were excommunicated were black members.
Through the 1800's, Holly Grove supported local and foreign missions and faithfully met its financial obligations. The first Sunday School was organized November 8, 1891 with 17 members. In 1894 a reed organ was place in the sanctuary.
In 1906, the first Women's Missionary Society was formed. Sallie Barnes Hardison was the first President; Fannie Harmon Byrd was Secretary-Treasurer. Sallie Vaughan Garrett was leader of the first Sunbeam Band, organized in 1910. Also in 1910, the membership of Holly Grove raised $500 to assist the Powellsville Baptist Church in its organizational efforts. Church membership during these early years of the twentieth century, exceeded 200.
Remodeling of the building occurred in 1911 and 1912. A handmade pulpit, installed in 1913, remains in use today. New pews were installed in 1915. Interestingly, a baptismal pool was constructed outside of the church in 1917, used once, and later removed due to the cold winters. Baptisms in the 1921-1926 era were held at Stoney Creek. A cemetery on the grounds, is no longer used for burials.
Financial difficulties were experienced during the 1930's and membership
decreased. In 1935, Holly Grove joined Republican as a field. Since that
time, the church has been in a number of fields with other churches, has used
interim pastors, and is now served by a supply pastor. Membership has
continued to decline but the faithfulness of the current membership is truly
The transcription of the 1883 "Holly Grove Church roll as taken from the record and corrected saturday before 1st Lord's day in April/83"; the "List of Sisters Names at Holly Grove Oct 1893"; the "List of Male Members at Holly Grove Baptist Church" for 1901; and the "List of Female Members of Holly Grove Baptist Church" for 1902 have been typed as written by the church recorders. No attempts have been made to make corrections.
These lists provide a record of some of the persons who lived within close proximity to the church during the approximate time period that the lists were made and updated. In some instances, previously unknown death dates are given. Those dismissed or expelled are named. On occasion, the newest members were listed.
These lists should be read in concert with the actual Minutes which, in most cases, will provide additional data. For instance, the Minutes may include the name of the church an individual was transferring to, thus giving their new location. Also they will provide information on persons joining Holly Grove. The reason for expelling a member is contained in the Minutes.
As is noted, all lists were updated beyond the 1883, 1893 and 1901/1902 dates. No list has been found prior to 1883 nor for the 1893 male members of Holly Grove.
Any church records beyond 1910 are thought to be in the possession of Thomas Eugene Ruffin, II of Bertie County.
Source for membership lists: Call No: 133-01-3 Microfilm entitled Holly Grove Baptist Church Minutes 1822 - 1910 (2 vols.) - Duke University, Durham, NC.
"Holly Grove church roll as taken from the record and corrected
saturday before 1st Lord's day in April/83"
I. P. Freeman W J Freeman Died 84 July John D. Todd Died 85 Moses Todd M J Rayner A C Todd Benj. Tayloe J. R. Jernigan J. W. Mitchell John A. Rayner George Tayloe Joseph J. Mitchell W Preston Askew John W Barnes W. P. Todd Gustavo B. Rayner (line drawn through name) Dismissed W. L. Todd Leander J. Tayloe (line drawn through name) Dismed 83 Letter Ralph O Myers Henry C. Myers R J Cowand John G Myers Jr W. S. Cowand Starky Jernigan Ervin Pritchard Willie Howard (line drawn through name) expelled July 83 Joseph O Cowand F J Todd G W. Outlaw Expelled 1883 Calvin F Casper Jas R Casper Nathan Myers W R Harmon R H Harmon George W Casper Frank E. Myers J. M. Todd W. J. Mitchell expeled June 82 Thos. R Ward expelled 82 Charles M. Phelps Dismissed William E. Mathews (line drawn thorugh name) dismissed W J Freeman jr Dismissed D W Cowand A O Askew Dr John Mitchell Colored members Apr. 1882 Henry Cherry 1891 Judy Cherry Harriet Cherry Dis by letter 1898 Caroline Willoughby Dismissed 82 Penelope Outlaw Died "List of females belonging to Holly Grove Church as corrected Saturday before the 1st Lord's day in Sept 1883 Elizabeth Tayloe Martha Phelps Levina Todd Dead Frusy Todd Levina W Todd Sarah F. Todd Mary L Cobb (line drawn through name) Dead 1882 Celia Rice Sarah M Freeman Wineford Pritchard Sarah A Bachas Mary Todd Pheby Myers Sarah F Bowen Martha Tayloe Frusy Todd jr Hannah S Cowand Winnie Ann Cowand Expelled Jan 1901 Mary Jernigan Jane O Askew Pheby W Thompson Betty Tayloe Morris (line drawn through Tayloe) Emmie Eason Tempie Swain Narcisa J Cowand Arrie M. Rayner Lenow (line drawn through Rayner) Amanda F. Hughes Julia A Tayloe Ann E Tayloe Belinda A Tayloe Jarsy Ann Mitchell Martha A. H. Tayloe Pernecia A. Askew Margaret L Cowand Expelled Jan 1901 Martha Harrell Emily F Lowther Nancy J Phelps Wineford E Backus Betty Evans Bettie Harmon Emmie Barnes Mollie W Rayner Sallie A M Backus Celia Tayloe Emmie Coggin Vantilla Cowand Balzora Ann Jernigan Tennetta Cowand Amanda A Casper Sallie F Todd Mary W Ray Dis by letter Leonora K Mizell Sarah E Cowand Expelled Jan 1901 Pattie C Bullock Victoria Alexander Laura S Freeman Mollie C Myers Laura E Mitchell Sarah E Myers Josephine B Tayloe Sallie R Mitchell Dis June Martha A Harrell Jannie F Rayner Mary L Todd Georgie A Cowand Amanda Askew Gabrial A Cowand (line drawn through name) Exp Jan 1901 Florence A Cowand (line drawn through name) Exp Jan 1901 Margaret E Rayner List of the Sisters Names at Holly Grove Oct 1893 1. Frusey Todd Died 1898 (line drawn through name) 2. Levina M. Todd Died 1896 (line drawn through name) 3. Celie Rice Died 1900 4. Sallie M. Freeman Died July 1897 (line drawn through name) 5. Sarah A. Backus 6. Mary Todd died July 1901 7. Sarah F. Boween 8. Martha Tayloe 9. Frusey Todd 10. Winnie A. Cowand Expelled Jan 1901 11. Martha Jernigan 12. Emmie Eason 13. Tempie Swain dead 14, Julie A. Tayloe Dead (line drawn through name) 15. Ann E. Tayloe Dismissed by letter 1899 16. Belinda A. Tayloe 17. Jersey A. Mitchell Expelled 1898 18. Martha A. H. Tayloe Dead 19. Margaret A. Cowand Expelled Jan 1901 20. Pernicia A. Askew 21. Emely F. Louther 22. Mollie C. Myers Dismissed by letter 23. Nancy J. Phelps 24. Wineford E. Backus Dead (line drawn through name) 25. Bettie Evans Dismissed by letter June 1902 26. Bettie Harmon 27. Emmie Barnes 28. Sallie A. M. Backus dead 29. Celie Tayloe 30. Vantiller Cowand 31. Balzora A. Jernigan Cowand 32. Tinettie Cowand Dis by letter Jan 1896 (line drawn through name) 33. Sallie F. Todd (Line drawn through Todd and Pierce inserted) 34. Lenora K. Mizell 35. Sarah E. Cowand Expelled Jan 1901 (line drawn through name) 36. Pattie C. Bullock Dis by letter May 1894 (line drawn through name) 37. Victora Alexander 38. Laura E. Mitchell 39. Sarah E. Myers Dismissed by letter 40. Josephine B. Tayloe 41. Martha A. Harrell Dismissed by letter 42. Mary L. Todd 43. Georgia A. Cowand Expelled Jan 1901 Not numbered: Amanda Askew 44. Margret E. Smallwood 45. Loudenie Pritchard 46. Ader Todd 47. Annie E. Freeman By letter May 1908 48. Rose Askew Dis by letter Jan 1897 (line drawn through name) 49. Annie M. Freeman Dis by letter 1896 (line drawn through name) 50. Georgia W. Outlaw Numbering jumps to: 61. Maggie White 62. Maggie G. A. Tayloe 63. M. A. Tayloe 64. Claud Todd Dis by letter Aprl 1898 (line drawn through name) 65. Annie G. Jernigan Dis by letter May 1896 66. Laura Jernigan 67. Laura Tayloe 68. Florence A. Cowand Expelled Jan 1901 (line drawn through name) 69. Lizzie Mitchell (line drawn through Mitchell & Williams inserted) 70. C. M. Cowand (line drawn through Cowand & Tayloe inserted) 71. Ader Askew (line drawn through Askew & Dilda inserted) 72. Luler E. Harman by letter Jan 1910 (line drawn through Harman & Freeman inserted) 73. Sallie Pritchard 74. Mittie Mitchell Expel March 1898 (line drawn through name) 75. Ider Tayloe 76. Lourena J. Pritchard 77. Maggie Todd 78. Mary Wilder (line drawn through Wilder & Askew inserted) 79. Lillie Myers Dismissed by letter 80. Dasey Myers (line drawn through Myers & Lasiter inserted) 81. Maggie Casper 82. Elen Myers-L.E. Holomon 83. Lula Bazemore Myers Not numbered: Lettie C. Jernigan Dis by letter March 1899 84. Lucy Tayloe (line drawn through Tayloe & Holoman inserted) 85. Bessie Rice 86. Mary Casper 87. Hattie R. Parker (line drawn through Parker & Rayner inserted) 88. Hattie Casper (line drawn through Casper & Wilson inserted) 89. Lizzie Rice 90. Fannie M. Harmon (line drawn through Harmon & Bird inserted) 91. Bessie Myzell and Nellie Rayner Dis by letter June 1899 92. Bettie Harman 93. Oakie L. Holloman Died Feb. 1899 94. Lillie Cowand (line drawn through Cowand & Stallings inserted) The remaining names are not numbered Janie Tayloe Katie L. Phelps Dismissed by letter Suzan C. Todd Recd by letter Oct 1900 Nettie Casper Carrie Askew (line drawn through Askew and Hughs inserted) Icy Miers Dismissed by letter Nonie Cowand Ider Phelps Dismissed by letter Lizzie Cowand (line drawn through Cowand & Mizell inserted) Hallie Tayloe Minnie Phelps Dismissed by letter C. M. Dukes Received by letter Oct 1900 Dismissed by letter Dora Miers Bettie Lu Raynor Dismissed by letter Feb 1908 Lizzie D. Holloman Rosa M. Holloman Bettie Hewitt (line drawn through Hewitt & Bazemore inserted) received by letter Apl 1902 Lizzie Phelps December 1st 1901 List of Male Members at Holly Grove Baptist Church 1. J W. Mitchell 2. A C. Todd died May 16 1907 3. Ervin Pritchard died June 26 1906 4. J R. Jernigan died Nov 1906 5. J W Barnes Died Nov 28 1902 6. W P. Todd 7. J G. Myers (line drawn through name) Dismissed by letter Feby 1904 8. Nathan Myers 9. F E. Myers Dismisd by letter Aug 1903 10. J M. Todd 11. W L. Todd 12. Jos J. Taylor 13. S S. Cowand 14. B. F. Myers dismissed by letter 1907 15. P A. Harmon Dismissed by letter 1907 16. J H. Bowen 17. J J. Taylor 18. R A. Myers 19. J C. Bowen Died Feby 8 1903 20. M R Barnes 21. J T. Pritchard (line drawn through name) Dismissed by letter March 1902 22. J L. White Dismissed by letter 1907 23. J H. Myers (line drawn through name) Dismissed Fby 1904 24. J H. Lassiter 25. H K. Taylor 26. J A. Rayner Dismissed by letter Fby 1908 27. J M. Bazemore (line drawn through name) dismissed by letter May 1903 28. J T. Mitchell (line drawn through name) dismissed by letterr Nov 1908 29. R B. Myers (line drawn through name) Dismisd by letter Aug 1903 30. J L. Barnes 31. W H. Myers (line drawn through name) Dismissed by letter Fby 1904 32. Latham Myers (line drawn through name) " " 33. John W. Myers (line drawn through name) " " 34. L. W. Todd (line drawn through name) dismised by letter 1905 35. S D. Myers (line drawn through name) Dismis by lett Aug 1903 36. Pedro Mizell Dis by let Dec 1909 37. Alonza O. Holloman 38. Aubry R. Mizell Expelled Apl 1908 39. E R. Holloman 40. R L. Holloman 41. W S. Cowand 42. Rufus Mitchell Dead 43. Miles T. Phelps 44. Jesse R. Phelps (line drawn through name) Dismissed by letter Fby 1904 45. Thomas E. Ward " " " Jay 1906 46. Robert Tayloe 47. Clide Britton Expelled Apl 1909 48. Leander Harmon 49. Frank Phelps (line drawn through name) Dismissed by letter Fby 1904 50. Henry Williams expelled Dec, 1908 51. L R. Duke dismissed by letter 1906 52. Cleveland Mitchell (line drawn through name) Dismissed Nov 1908 53. Jos W. Duke dismissed by letter 1906 54. Herbert Harmon 55. W. T. Hewitt Dismissed by letter 1903 56. Thomas E. Holloman 57. Dr. John Mitchell Died Mch 1903 Recd by letter Nov 1901 58. William J. Holloman by letter Jay 1902 59. J R Leggett recivd by letter Apl 1902 60. Miles Mizell recivd May 1902 61. Henry A. Mizell " " 62. Lemuel Mizell " " 63. Joseph Burress 64. Joseph J. Cowand 65. W H Tayloe 66. William J Askew Expelled Aug 1909 67. Solomon Askew Expelled Oct 1908 68. J L. Tayloe 69. J H Harmon Expelled 70. Russell A Myers (line drawn through name) Dismis by let Aug 1903 71. A E. Cowand 72. George D. Mizell 73. Jacob E. Holloman 74. Charles F. Pearce Dismissed by letter April 1906 75. J P. Sessoms Died 1907 76. J. J. Mizell Died Feb 1909 77. Solomon Mitchell Dismissed by letter Nov 1908 78. J J. Mitchell 79. W L. Vaughn 80. H C Myers Dismissed by letter Feb 1910 81. B W. Taylor 82. Thomas C. Phelps expelled Dec 1908 83. B B. Taylor 84. Moses Todd 85. John Todd 86. J P. Phelps 87. James Myers 88. Clide Vaughn 89. John W. Mitchell Expelled Aug 1909 90. K S Mitchell 91. Thomas A. Williams 92. John C. Williams 93. Estus M. Williams 94. George H. White 95. Johnie Casper Expelled Sept 1908 96 James Cowand 97. Abbie Barnes Dismissed by letter Mar 1910 98. W H Hoard Dismissed by letter Oct 1906 99. Docton Williams 100. P S. Cherry 101. W H Bryant Dismissed by letter Jany 1908 102. Arthur J. Furrell 103. David R. Tayloe 104. J L Willoughby 105. W P Askew Dismissed by letter Jny 1908 106. J A Peirce 107. Rufus A. Williams 108. C S Ruffin 109. Jno Casper Dismissed by letter Feb. 1909 110. Sol. C. Askew 111. Dewey Harmon 112. Jno. R. Todd 113. J. P. Todd Not numbered: Edward Askew rec by L Feb 1910 October 1902 List of Female Members of Holly Grove Baptist Church 1. Sarah F. Bowen 2. Martha A. Taylor 3. Frusey Todd 4. Emmie Eason 5. Belinda A. Taylor 6. Pernecie A. Askew 7. Mollie C. Myers (line drawn through name) Dismissed by letter Aug 1903 8. Bettie Harmon 9. Emily Barnes 10. Celia Taylor 11. Vantilla Cowand 12. Balzora A. Jernigan 13. Sallie F. Pearce 14. Lenora K. Mizell 15. Victora Alexander 16. Laura E. Mitchell 17. Sarah E. Myers (line drawn through name) Dismissed by leter Feby 1904 18. Josephine B. Taylor 19. Mary L. Todd (line drawn through Todd and White inserted) 20. Georgia A. Cowand 21. Amanda Askew 22. Margaret E. Smallwood 23. Loudenia Pritchard 24. Ada Todd 25. Annie E. Freeman (line drawn through name) Dismissed by letter May 1908 26. Georgia W. Outlaw 27. Maggie White 28. Janie J. Taylor 29. Laura Jernigun 30. Maggie E. Taylor 31. Luallie(?) Taylor 32. Lizzie Mitchell (line drawn through Mitchell and Williams inserted) 33. C M. Cowand (line drawn through Cowand and Taylor inserted) 34. Ada Dilda 35. Lula E. Freeman dismissed by letter Jan 1910 36. Sallie Pritchard 37. Ida Tayloe 38. Laurena J. Prichard 39. Maggie Todd 40. Mary Savage 41. Lillie Myers (line drawn through name) Dis by let aug 1903 42, Daisy Lassiter 43. Maggie Casper (line drawn through name) droped 44. Ella Holloman Dismissed by letter 1906 45. Lue Myers 46. Lucy Holloman 47. Bessie Rice 48. Mary Casper 49. Hattie R. Rayner 50. Hattie Wilson 51. Lizzie Rice 52. Fannie M. Harmon (line drawn through Harmon and Byrd inserted) 53. Bessie Mizell By letter Nov 1909 54. Bettie Harmon, Jr 55. Lillie Cowand (line drawn through Cowand and Stallings inserted) 56. Janie Taylor 57. Katie L. Phelps (line drawn through name) Dismissed by letter Fby 1904 58. Susan C. Todd 59. Nettie Casper 60. Carrie Askew (line drawn through Askew and Hughs inserted 61. Icy Myers (line drawn through name) Dismissd by letter Fby 1904 62. Nonie Cowand 63. Ida Phelps (line drawn through name) Dismiss by letter Fby 1904 64. Lizzie Cowand (line drawn through Cowand and Mizell inserted) 65. Hallie Taylor 66. Minnie Phelps (line drawn through name) Dismiss by letter Fby 1904 67. C M. Duke 68. Dana Myers (line drawn through name) Dismiss by letter Feby 1904 69. Bettie Lee Rayner (line drawn through Bettie Lee; Rayner inserted) Dismised by letter Feb 1908 70. Lizzie D. Holloman 71. Rosa M. Holloman 72. Bettie Bazemore 73. Lizzie Phelps 74. Novie S. Legget 75. Rosa E. Freeman (line drawn through name) Dismissed by Letter May 1908 76. Lizzie Myers (line drawn through name) Dismissed by letter Fby 1904 77. Lillie D. Holloman 78. Ella R. Holloman 79. Annie L. Duke Dismissed by letter Apl 1906 80. Lula Mitchell Dismissed by letter Nov 1908 81. Sadie Williams 82. Winnie E. Mizell 83. Sallie D. Mizell (line drawn through Mizell and Barnes inserted) 84. Bettie J. Williams 85. Zerutha C. Holloman 86. Ada Peirce 87. Rosa C. Sessoms 88. Mary A. Mizell 89. Josey A. Mitchell 90. Penny E. Mitchell Dismissed by letter Nov 1908 91. Armillie Mitchell 92. Nancy J. Vaughn 93. Beulah M. Vaughn 94. Sallie Vaughn 95. Sarah E. Todd 96. Pattie M. Myers 97. Sallie F. Hollamon 98. Annie Vaughn (line drawn through Vaughn and Hill inserted) 99. Rachel Cowand 100. Mamie Lee (line drawn through Lee and Harmon inserted) 101. Martha A. Williams 102. Lillie H. Cherry Not numbered: Susie Myrtle Myers Lethia B. Hollomon Lidie E. Willoughby Edward W. Phelps died aprl 27 1908 Stella Myers Bertie M. Mizell Nora Willoughby Cornelia Hollomon Mary Hill Isabel Todd Willie LeggettAbbreviated History prepared and membership lists transcribed by Lynn C. McCarthy