Search billions of records on Ancestry.com


Historic Woodville

Preserving Woodville's Heritage



Hill-Pugh-Mizell House

Hill-Pugh-Mizell House


Hill-Pugh-Mizell House. Built in 1801 for John Pugh Hill, this ornate Federal tripartite house is the oldest house that survives in Woodville. Hill's widow, Mary Whitmel Bryan, married her cousin Dr. Whitmel Hill Pugh in 1806, and Pugh, a physician and state legislator in the 1810s, named the house Woodville after an estate in an English novel. In 1818 Pugh moved to Lafourche Parish, LA. and later deeded the property to his son, William Whitmel Pugh. He also moved to Louisiana and sold it to Dr. James Walton, whose son sold it to W. Dorsey Mizell in 1889. His daughter Emily, who married Burges Urquhart, inherited the house and lived there until her death in 1974. Her grandson is the present owner.