Search billions of records on Ancestry.com


Historic Woodville

Preserving Woodville's Heritage



Averitt-Pugh-Thompson House

Averitt-Pugh-Thompson House


Averitt-Pugh-Thompson House. This 1860 antebellum house has a classic Greek Revival-Italianate form: two-story, three-bay double pile frame house with hipped roof, two interior brick chimneys, and large windows with Italianate hood molds. However, it underwent a heavy remodeling in the Craftsman Tudor style about 1917. The house was built by Colonel Jesse Averitt in 1830, but Joseph James Pugh (son of William Alston Pugh)constructed the present house about 1860 to replace the earlier house, and lived here with his family until his death in 1880. William Clark Thompson, a son of Lewis Thompson, purchased it, and his son, Lewis Whitmel Thompson remodeled it in 1917 and lived here until his death in the 1950s. In the late 1950s Lewis Thompson's widow, his son and his wife were still living there. The house is now out of the family.