The Caswell County Historical Association (CCHA) was organized in 1956 to promote the study of local history, to collect and interpret historical artifacts, and to preserve local historical structures. The CCHA owns and operates the Richmond-Miles History Museum in Yanceyville, North Carolina. To become a member go to Join the CCHA.
Navigating this site begins with the menu that runs across the top of each page. These menu items link to the principal content areas. Note the More selection at the right of the menu. Clicking it will reveal an expanded menu with additional selections. Each page will have a "Home" icon to bring the user back to this home page. Also note the Search tool at the bottom of this page.
Born of Orange County in 1777 during the American Revolutionary War, Caswell County was named in honor of Richard Caswell (1729-1789), delegate to the first Continental Congress, first governor of North Carolina after the Declaration of Independence, and Major General in the Revolutionary Army. The county lies in the north central section of North Carolina and is bounded by Person, Orange, Alamance, and Rockingham counties, and to the north by the Commonwealth of Virginia. The first permanent county seat was established at Leasburg in 1783. After 1792, when Person County was carved from Caswell County, the county seat was moved to a location nearer the center of the county. This site, first simply called Caswell Court House, later was
named Yanceyville in honor of Bartlett Yancey (1785-1828). Go to Caswell County History for a more comprehensive historical overview.