Warren's Store 1940
(Click Photograph for Another View)
- Located Prospect Hill
- Built c. 1858 by Franklin Link Warren
- On the Hillsborough-Milton Stage Road
- National Register of Historic Places
Here is the description provided by Ruth Little-Stokes in her An Inventory of Historic Architecture--Caswell County, North Carolina (1979) at 57:
. . . . Warren's Store. At Prospect Hill, ca. 1858. Well-preserved mid-19th century rural crossroads . . . brick temple-form store with a two-story pedimented Greek Revival style porch. Built by Franklin Link Warren at this stop on the Hillsborough-Milton stage road. One of the few antebellum rural commercial buildings in this area of the state.
Warren's Store and the facing Warren House (not pictured) were both added to the National Register of Historic Places 19 June 1973.
This is just an overview of one of the many interesting community stores that have played an important part in the history of Caswell County. If you have stories, photographs, anecdotes, or any other materials relating to this community store or others in Caswell County, please send them to the CCHA or the CCHA Webmaster.
Copyright © Caswell County Historical Association, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Last Revised: 18 January 2006