Sites of Interest
Historic Haw River, North Carolina
Plans are to add a Locator Map to this page, so please visit again. Until
then, Locator Maps are available through the
Haw River Historical Association Museum
The Freelands owned and farmed a large tract of land that included
sites of Andrews, Cummings and Broadview schools.
Pearl Smith House ca. 1883
Miss Pearl ran a millinery shop on Main St. The house, which was recently
is now owned by a niece.
Dan Montgomery House ca. 1890
James Montgomery House ca. 1885
Mr. Montgomery and John Trollinger were partners in a Mebane brickyard.
Montgomery walked more than ten miles each way to lay brick on the
buildings at Elon College.
Rudy Montgomery House
Located on a Trollinger home site, this home was recently remodeled
McCracken's School and Store ca. 1885
In the early 1900s, the school became the home of the McCracken family
and was handed down through the Wood family.
Temple Baptist Church
Murray House ca. 1749
Farmer Tom Murray's original two rooms have been remodeled through
the succeeding generations to the present ten-room home.
Bullard House ca. 1892
Tom Bullard and three of his children worked at Puritan Mills. Of his
children, Bus was a barber, Espa was postmistress, and Clara became
Haw River Cemetery
Hope Baptist Church
Former Holt's Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church
Haw River United Methodist Church
Trollinger Family Cemetery ca. 1745
Established by Adam Trollinger, this private cemetery contains the
many of the Trollingers and Montgomerys. Also buried here is Artrelia
Duke, wife of Washington Duke and mother of Benjamin and Buck Duke
had the granite wall erected.
A.L. Thompson Home ca. 1898
A typical two-story mill home, this "over the river" house was bought
mill by the Thompson family in the1950s. "Rusty" grew up in the house
a well-known fiddler.
Hunter Jones House
Mr. Jones, a pharmacist, ran a drug store on Main St. for approximately
Laird House ca. 1890
Built for Gov. Holt's daughter and son-in-law, this home served as
during a flu epidemic in the early 1900s. Converted to apartments by
it is now restored and privately owned.
Woodsdale School ca. 1885
This was the first school in the area. Later it was used by Mrs. Ida
taught black children here until the 1920s. The building has been expanded
is now a church.
Thompson House ca. 1887
This property was sold by Thomas Holt to Alfred Thompson who came from
Snow Camp to be the master mechanic at the mill. A great-grandson has
remodeled the home.
Mr. Hayes ran the coal yard and was the last Haw River stationmaster.
Gov. Holt's Gardener's House ca. 1870
Kidd Home ca. 1948
Mr. Kidd was a manager with the mills and mayor of Haw River 1982-83.
His home was built by Cone Mills.
Site of Gov. Holt Mansion and Dixon Dale
Mitchell House ca. 1941
In the 1860s, Thomas Holt built a magnificent mansion with extensive
which included 200 species of native North Carolina trees on the hill
his mills. In the early 1900s, a real estate broker from Graham purchased
it for his
family and its grounds became a well-known gathering place. Bought
by Cone Mills
in 1928, it was used for management but torn down becasue of the cost
The present house was built for managers by the mill and purchased
in 1969 by the
Mitchells who had lived there since 1953. Several original outbuildings
Holt-Long-Teague House ca.
1897, National Historic Landmark
Cicero Spoon House ca 1885
Originally a dairy farm house, the home has recently been renovated.
Dr. Stratford House
This property, Hide-Away Farm, was tenant farmed for a New York physician
who spent summers here.
John Trollinger House ca. 1808
The original part of this home was built about thirty years after Adam's
North Carolina R.R. Bridge
The bridge completed by Ben Trollinger and Dan Montgomery in 1855 induced
the N.C. Railroad to choose the route through Trollinger's Ford. It
is 260 feet long.
Site of Swepson's Barge Dock
For at least thirty years; barges, powered by mules, poles and later
carried goods up and down the river to the mills in Swepsonville.
Indigo Dyehouse ca. 1850
These buildings were necessary in the process used to make "Alamance
Tabardrey Mills ca. 1881
Originally the Cora Mills of the T.M. Holt Manufacturing Company, they
renamed for the three children of plant manager Sidney Paine by the
Now Kingstree Manufacturing Company.
Site of Haw River House Hotel ca. 1856
Trollinger built the first hotel near the center of the railroad line.
When the railroad
later put a hotel near its shops several miles west, Trollinger's hotel
hiim into bankruptcy. The building continued as a hotel, boarding house,
room and dance hall. It was used as a hosiery mill before being torn
down in the
Site of Haw River Depot
The second depot at this location was destroyed in a train derailent
Site of No. 2 Trollinger Grist Mill ca. 1840
A four-story brick structure stood where the eastern end of the auto
bridge is now.
It was razed in the 1950s but remains a favorite landmark in memory.
Site of No. 1 Trollinger Grist Mill ca. 1747
Granite Finishing Plant ca. 1844, National Historic Landmark
Begun by Ben Trollinger, purchased at auction and enlarged by the Holts,
part of Proximity Manufacturing and finally acquired as part of Cone
Mills in 1928,
Granite is the oldest mill still in use in the county. It is named
for the rock on which
Stores and Offices
In this row along Main St. in the 1930s, '40s and '50s were a grocery
a drug store, Dr. Wilkins' office, a millinery shop, an appliance and
the bank, a 5 and 10 cents store, a clothes store, the bus depot, a
an ice cream shop and a cafe. Also along here were four hosiery mills.
of the buildings date to the last century and were part of the company
the Holt mills. The building closest to the river has been the community
the YMCA, the library, the firehouse, the town maintenance office and
the Haw River Historical Association Museum.
Best House and Hosiery Mill
Stores and Movies
Two theatres, a variety store, a cafe, a hot dog stand, a bowling alley,
room and several groceries occupied the buildings in this row.
Childrey House and Hosiery Mill
McClure House ca. 1897
Another example of a mill house.
Vest House ca. 1900
Captain Sam Vest ran the depot.
Dr. Wilkins House ca. 1890
Built for Mr. Robertson, a Holt in-law who ran the company store, this
the home of Dr. Java C. Wilkins who began his general medical practice
He delivered more than 2500 babies before he retired in 1956. His sister,
was a local teacher who helped to raise his daughter, Beatrice, after
the death of
his wife in 1918.
Haw River Town Hall and Civic Center
The Town Hall was dedicated during the nation's Bicentennial in 1976.
houses the fire department. The Community Building was erected in the
Mr. Guy Crutchfield was the town postmaster.
Freshwater House and School
Until the Haw River School included all grades in 1918, some primary
were held here.
Haw River Baptist Church
Barger House ca. 1902
Built by John Trollinger, the house was to be the home of the principal
new school. However, Mr. Birchett and his wife stayed only three years
returning to Massachusetts. Later, in turn, it was home to teacher
Murray Russell, to mill owner Earl Wilson and family, and to Mr. and
Barger. The Bargers owned the home and farm store on Main Street and
to start the town's fire department. Mrs. Barger was the unofficial
John William Smith Home ca. 1978
Mr. Bill Smith was Haw River mayor for sixteen years.
Haywood Simpson House ca. 1894
Mr. Simpson and Mr. Anderson, whose home stood where the Civic Center
ran the company store for the Holts.
Haw River School
The original building was completed in 1904 and housed grades 4 through
It was the first graded school in the county. In 1918, primary grades
Additions and changes were made in '23, '36, '41, '63-64, '70, '77,
'94 and '95.
In 1953, the Wilkins' gym was built. The high school closed in 1963
as an elementary school in 1964.
Ray Home ca. 1890
Crawford Ray was head of the work crew for the railroad
This house belonged to the railroad's section manager.
Major W.T. Brooks House ca. 1894
Major Brooks was an accountant and bookkeeper for Puritan and Cone
and a celebrated Sunday school teacher. His wife, Ruby, was a school
The home has been restored by the present owners.
Wilson Home ca. 1940
Paul Wilson invented the Haw River True Rib, a sock knitting machine.
Riley Home and Gardens
James Anderson Homeplace ca. 1860
Rippy House ca. 1920
Built by John Trollinger for the Rippys, who moved here from another
on nearby Basil Holt Rd.
John and Mary Roney Homeplace ca. 1850
This was the childhood home of Artelia Roney Duke. It is about two
west of the house on Sandy Cross Road.
Newlin Home ca. 1942
Mr. Newlin bought land from John Trollinger for a dairy farm. He started
Newlin Hardware in Burlington.
Captain John Trollinger House ca. 1845
Descendant of Adam Trollinger, John was a true entrepreneur: builder,
landlord, brickyard owner, brick mason, farmer and trader.
Haw River Christian Church
Wrightenberry Home and Gardens ca. 1963
Piney Grove School ca. 1880
This district school was purchased by the Sharp family in 1907 and
into a home.
Land for the church was given to a black freeman by John Trollinger
in the 1880s.
Henry Bason House ca. 1835
The Basons settled in the area about the same time as the Trollingers.
Bason farmed and ran a brickyard.
Griffis House ca. 1835, National Historic Landmark
Dr. Griffis ran a store on this "Old Hillsborough Road." His house
is also thought
to have been a stagecoach stop. The home has been extensively renovated
restored by the present owners.
A.K. Roney House ca. 1903
This home was originally built as a wedding present for a nephew by
Ben Duke. The Dukes were frequent visitors. Lost to the family in the
it changed owners many times. It was used by the school board to house
in the 30's and 40s and was known as The Teachery. It is being restored
Baker Home ca. 1915
Mr. Baker was a farmer and storekeeper. The house has been remodeled
added to by its present owners, Mr. Baker's daughter and her husband.
St. Andrews Episcopal Church
Trollingwood Mill ca. 1904
The mill was built by John Trollinger and later became Travora Mill
of Cannon Mills.
Seventh Day Adventist Church
A.J. Best House
Mr. Best owned a hosiery mill.
Pleasant Dixon House ca. 1850
Among other pursuits, Mr. Dixon briefly operated a gold mine on this
Kerr Scott was governor of N.C. 1949-54. His son, Bob, was governor
Both claim Haw River as home. Their homes were about three miles south.
Go Back to Welcome
Copyright 1997 - 2005 Haw River Historical Association -
All Rights Reserved