Washington County North Carolina Genealogy


Named in honor of George Washington, Washington County was created in 1799 from Tyrrell County.  It lies in the eastern part of North Carolina and is bounded by Bertie, Beaufort, Hyde, Martin and Tyrrell counties, and the Albemarle Sound.  The courts were ordered to be held at Lee's Mill until a courthouse could be erected.   

The town of Plymouth was established in 1787. It started out as a private enterprise much like one of today's subdivisions. An area of 100 acres was set aside and divided into streets and lots.  

Being on the Roanoke River and near the Albemarle Sound, Plymouth's prime importance was as a port. During the early 1800's Plymouth was one of 6 main ports in North Carolina and ranked 9th in population among towns. 

Plymouth was incorporated in 1807.  In 1823 the Washington County court house was moved from Lee's Mill to Plymouth.

Genealogy Resources:

Washington County NCGenWeb Project

Washington County Email List

Washington County NCGenWeb Archives

Washington County query board at Rootsweb.com

County Information:

Washington County Government Page

Register of Deeds
120 Adam's Street
PO Box 1007
Plymouth NC 27962
Phone (252) 793-2325
website: www.washconc.org/register_of_deeds/register_of_deeds.htm

Washington County Travel and Tourism
phone: 252-793-3248
website: www.visitwashingtoncountync.com

Washington County Chamber of Commerce
701 Washington Street
Plymouth NC 27962
phone: 252-793-4804
website: www.washconc.org/chamber/chamber_of_commerce.htm


Visit RootsWeb