The area that is Eddy County was first a part of Pembina County. Following the later establishment of counties in 1873 it became part of Foster County and its history is politically mixed with that of Griggs and Wells counties. On April 27, 1885 after a protest election, Foster was divided to form Eddy County, with each county consisting of eighteen townships. New Rockford, population 1604, continues to be the county seat. The present courthouse was built in 1899. "North Dakota Place Names" shows that Eddy County was named for E. B. Eddy, founder of the First National Bank of Fargo.