Back

 Agnes Township
   T153N, R55W Latitude =  48.0569 N
Longitude =  97.6976W
History

    

Towns / Cities
All Information from the Book "North Dakota Place Names" by Douglas A Wick

Thomson's Grove / Bachelor's Grove

This was a stage stop on the Grand Forks-Fort Totten trail, sometimes called Thompson's Grove, honoring pioneer settlers, Thomas and Gulick Thompson, in Section 30-153-55, Agnes Township, about two miles NW of McCanna. The name Bachelor's Grove was coined by James H. Mathews and W. N. Roach while establishing the mail route, noting that most settlers in the area were Norwegians, and only one had a family. He was Hans Hanson, and the township was named for his daughter, the first white baby born here. The later part of the name noted the many trees along the nearby Turtle River. The site was abandoned after the building of the Great Northern RR in the late 1880s.

Orr

This Great Northern Rail Road station was built in 1882 in SE 1/2 Section 1-153-55, Agnes Township, four miles south of Inkster. The post office was established February 10, 1885 with John C. Orr Postmaster, a bachelor from Illinois who homesteaded on what became the townsite. A small village began, reporting a population of 75 in 1890, and reaching a peak population of 150 in 1920. By 1960 the count had declined to just 65, and the post office, Zip Code 58268, closed November 15, 1972 with mail to Inkster.

Pilot

This was a pioneer settlement in SW 1/4 Section 29-153-55, Agnes Township, seven miles Northeast of Niagara. It was named by settlers from Pilot Grove Township, Faribault County, MN, which was named in 1864 for a grove of native timber that was used by pioneers as a navigational landmark before roads were built. A post office was established December 23, 1880 with James Christensen Post Master, serving the nearby stage stop known as Bachelor's Grove. It also operated June 20, 1881 to January 12, 1882 with mail to Hegton, April 13, 1882 to December 3, 1884 with mail to Larimore, and January 1, 1899 to June 30, 1939 when it closed for good with mail to McCanna.

Agnes Town Hall  Section 08

Business History

 
 

Schools

School #122  Section 29

 

   

Cemeteries

Elk Valley Lutheran

 
 

Churches

   
 

Historical / Genealogy Society
 

 

Historical, Genealogical and Ethnic Events

 
 

Photographs

 
 

Personal and Community Stories about this Area

 
 

Back