Lehr lies on the county line of McIntosh and Logan counties, but it is counted as belonging to McIntosh. Johann Lehr donated forty acres of land for the founding of the twon. The town got its start with the coming of the Soo Line in 1898. It was named after Andreas Lehr, Sr. and Johann Lehr, the donor of the land. The palce was organized as a town in 1907 and as a city in 1909.