This town site was founded in 1905 in Alec Twp, and was first called RAGGED BUTTES, but
within a short time it was
renamed for Alexander McKenzie, the political boss from Bismarck, who is also the namesake
of the county. Some say it
was named for Alexander F. Bell, the towns first barber, for whom nearby Bell's Butte is
named. The post office was
established August 14, 1905 with Herbert W. Moore pm. The elevation is 2154, the zip code
is 58831 and a peak population of
415 was reached in 1940.
This rural post office, approximately twenty two miles SSE of Alexander on the north bank
of the Little Missouri River, was
authorized June 11, 1904 with Almira Sandercock pm. That order was rescinded Dec. 6,
1904, but the office was
reestablished Jan 4, 1905 with Percy S. Sanford pm at his home on the SW bank of Redwing
Creek. It closed Sept 30,1907
with mail rerouted to Alexander. Alnura is an erroneous
This was a rural post office established in July 14, 1906 with Gerhard A. Stenehjem
post master. The name honors pioneer
settler Oscar Arnegard. It was platted a town site in Arnegard Twp, on June 14, 1913.
The elevation is 2245, the zip code is
58835, and the villiage, which unincoporated in 1920, reached a peak population 0f 254 in
This town site in Schafer twp, was founded in 1913. The name noted the coal banks in the
area, but had to be changed
because the name was already used by a rural post office in the county established in
1900. In 1914 Dr. Vaughan C Morris,
the towns first physician, suggested naming it for his hometown of Watford, Ontario, Can.
This was done, but because of
confusion with Wolford, in Pierce County, the name was changed to Watford City in 1916.
A ranch post office established
Dec 7, 1900 with Frank Banks as postmaster. Located 26 miles NE of Watford City near
the south bank of the Missouri
River. In 1904 the post office moved 10 miles SW in Twin Valley twp 19 miles NNE of
Watford City where a rural settlement
had started to develop. A population peak of 25 was reported in 1920.
The post office, ran for many years by the Sax family,
it closed Sept 15,1955 with mail to Watford City. Mr Banks, one of the counties
first pioneers, came here in 1884 with W.L.
Richards, forming the Birdhead Cattle Ranch. Banks reported a population of 10 in 1960,
but disappeared from maps a few
This was a ranch post office established June, 2, 1902 with Fred Hoerauf as postmaster. It
was located in Rhoades Twp, five
miles SW of Grassy Butte, and closed Septmber 5, 1906 with mail to Fayette Dunn Co. It was
named for nearby Beicegl
Creek, which was named for George and August Beisigl, area pioneers who came here in 1884,
with an Anglicization of the
spelling. Another post office operated here in 1916-1935, and was likewise named for the
Beisigl brothers, but this time the
name was wildly corrupted in Bicycle.
Rural post office established November 22, 1916 with Mrs. (Anna) Fane as postmaster. It
was located in Rhoades Twp, six
miles WNW of Grassy Butte until 1920, when it was moved 6 miles west to the new home of
Reuben A Lyon post master.
Louis K Elstrand and Mrs Frances Cook then held this position at their homes just to the
north, with the post office closing
October 31, 1935 with mail to Grassy Butte
Ranch post office just inside the Montana border, about 34 miles WSW of Watford City. It
had been established about 3 miles
NE in 1910 as RUBY, but when it moved to the new home of post master Silas R Bryant
2-17-12 the name was changed to
note nearby Benne Peer Creek, which had been named for a Ft Buford soldier who had settled
in the area. The one-word
spelling was apparently done to satisfy postal officials. The community served by this
post office was sometimes called
Bryants Farm. It closed October 15, 1910 with mail being rerouted to EARL. Bennie
Pierre is an erroneous spelling.
Rural post office establised June 23, 1905 with Julius I Berg (1863-1945) post master, who
came here in 1904 from Solor,
Hedmark, Norway. Others say it was named for local pioneer Hans Berg. It was located in a
large sod building in Blue Butte
Twp, 18 miles ENE of Watford City. A population of 10 was reported in 1920. It moved two
miles SW in 1936 to the home of
post master Florence Ellen Rice, and closed October 31,1944 with mail being rerouted to
Farm post office established February 8, 1911 with Helen G Raze as postmaster, who
named it to note the many blue
flowers native to the area. It was located 12 miles NE of Watford City, and closed
December 15, 1912 with mail being
rerouted to Tobacco Garden.
Rural post office established August 4,1916 wit Mrs John(Mary R) Barnett as post master.
It was located 26 miles WSW of
Grassy Butte, until October 29,1918 when it moved 3 miles SW to the home of new pm Emma My
Scott. The post office
closed August 30,1919 with mail rerouted to Trotters, in Golden Valley county. The
post office application was submitted
with the name Poker Jim, which was rejected in favor of Blueshale, the origin of which is
unknown, although it would seem
to be descriptive.
This was a military camp of the Second Yellowstone Expedition, established August 17, 1825
using the abandoned remains
of Fort Henry in Sec 27-152-104, Yellowstone Twp, on the Yellowstone River just above is
confluence with the Missouri. Gen
Henry Atkinson and major Benjamin O'Fallon, an Indian agent, named it for their Secretary
of War, James Barbour (1775-
1842), who earlier had served as Governor of VA and as a US Senator. After a few
days, the expedition continued up the
Yellowstone, but met with little, if any success in locating renegade Indians.
This was a farm post office established June 28, 1901 with Samuel George Cartwright pm.
Mr. Cartwright came to Dakota
Territory in 1882, and with his sons became well known as a rancher and trailblazer in the
Souris Valley. he came here in
1900, settling in NW 1/4 Sec 31-151-103, Sioux Twp. In 1913 the post office moved to
the town site in Sec 13-151-103 and
Sec 36-151-104, Sioux Twp. The elevation is 1904, the Zip Code was 58838, and a peak
population of 200 was claimed in
1920, but the 1930 count of 50 is probably more realistic. Grace Johnson, later the
wife of Governor Arthur A. Link, was born
This was a rural post office established May 12,1914 with William Grant Heisler as
post master. He coined the name by
using part of his wife's given name, CATHerine, and "MERE", meaning meadow,
after postal officials had rejected Catherine.
Others claim the name was chosen by Mrs. Charlotte Winter Walton, the area's
first school teacher, without explaining its
origin. It was located in NE 1/4 Sec 19-149-103, thirteen miles south of Cartwright,
and moved two miles south in 1917 to
SE1/4 Sec 32-149-103. Mr. Heisler moved to CA in 1920, and Henry Derudder, a Belgium
immigrant, became post master.
The post office closed October 31, 1930 with mail rerouted to Cartwright.
This was a ranch post office established November 25, 1908 with Sarah J Catin as
postmaster. The Catlin Ranch was
established in 1906 in SW 1/4 Sec 26-150-96, Pershing Twp, seventeen miles east of Watford
City. Some claim it was
named for the noted western artist, George Catlin. On March 23, 1915 William B Croff
became post master, moving the post
office two miles south to his home in SW 1/4 SEc 2-149-96, Bear Den Twp, where he also ran
a small store. Mr. Croff, and
many local residents, thought that the store and post office should have the same name, so
on October 29, 1915 the name of
the post office was changed to Croff.
Charbonneau was founded in 1913 in SE1/4 Sec 32-151-102, Charbon Twp, seven miles west of
Alexander, and named for
nearby Charbonneau Creek, which was named for Touisant Charbonneau, the interpreter for
the Lewis and Clark Expedition,
and the husband of Sacagawea. The post office was established March 21,1914 with Ira
E Wolcott post master, and a
village of 125 was reported here in 1920. A decline began shortly after that, and by
1960 the population was down to just 15.
The post office closed September 22, 1967 with mail rerouted to Alexander.
This rural post office was established December 23, 1904 with Thorsten E Charlson post
master in his home in NE1/4 Sec 22-
153-95, Elm Tree Twp. In 1907 he laid out a town site in SW1/4 Sec 23-153-95 and a
population of 125 was reported in 1920,
although the village never incorporated. The almost inevitable decline began in
later years, and the 1960 population was just
20. Rose C Boots retired as pm November 14, 1980 after more than 30 years on
the job, and the post office closed with mail
rerouted to New Town, although government records did not record this fact until may 19,
This was a rural post office established October 26, 1908 with Olof P Transtrom
as post master, who named it for nearby
Cherry Creek, which was named for his daughter, Cherry, although others say the creek was
named to note the many
chokecherry trees along its banks. It was first located in SE1/4 Sec 17-149-99,
Ellsworth Twp, seven miles SW of Watford
City, and made several moves, ending up in NW1/4 Sec 29-148-98, thirteen miles SSE of
Watford City when it closed May 31,
1929 with mail rerouted to Watford City. A population of 4 was reported in 1930.
William B "Bert" Croff (1869-1954) became post master of Catlin on March 23,
1915, moving it to his country store in SW1/4
Sec 2-149-96, Bear Den Twp, sixteen miles east of Watford City. On October 29, 1915
he changed the name to Croff. Mr
Croff, who came here from Alexandria, Minnesota in 1907, ranched about 8000 acres, and
held the post master position until
retiring in 1940. Although Croff was never really a settlement, a population of 10
was reported in 1920, and a count of 9 was
made in 1930. Paul L Gruetzner and Ole Mathistad served as post masters before
the post office closed July 31, 1945 with
mail rerouted to Watford City.
This was a farm post office established 8-13-1910 with Ida Empie, post master who named it
for her son, Earl Empie, Earl is
an Anglo-Saxon name meaning nobleman or chief. It was located in SE 1/4 Sec 26-147-104, 24
miles south of Cartwright, and
moved four times within this general area before closing August 15,1925 with mail to
Located in the E 1/2 Sec 31-151-104, and is the portion of Fairview, Montana that lies on
the ND side of the border. Fairview
was named in 1904 by post master L.E. Newton to note the beautiful view of the Yellowstone
River valley from his home.
About 175 people live in EAST FAIRVIEW, which is almost universally considered to be part
of the Montana city.
Used for residents of western Mckenzie County with the telephone prefix of 481, affiliated
with the exchange in Sidney,
Montana, which was named for Sidney Walters, the son of a prominent pioneer.
Rural post office established January 20,1908 with Roland T Muzzy post master, who named
it for his wife. Both Roland and
Elidah Muzzy were natives of Maine, and Mrs. Muzzy carried the mail from Charlson to their
home in NE 1/4 Sec 12-152-97, 18
miles NE of Watford City, until Maxwell Ove, a neighbor, was hired as the mail carrier.
The post office closed December
15,1919 with mail rerouted to Keene.
Rural post office established September 14,1915 with Raymond Robinson as postmaster,
who also had a store and
lumberyard at this site in NW 1/4 Sec 31-154-94, West Hope Twp, on the south bank of the
Missouri River, opposite the
Williams-Mountrail border. The name noted that the site was a place where herds of
elk forded a creek. The post office
closed September 15, 1917 with mail rerouted to Charlson. Elk's Landing is an
Rural post office was established May 22, 1907 with John Gerard as post master from
his home in Sec 33-149-100,
Elsworth Twp, near the source of Cherry Creek. After the name Geraed had been
rejected by postal officials, it was named
for it's twp, which was named for pioneer settler, Elsworth E Earley, who served as the
mail carrier, bringing it here from
Schafer. The town site's name is now spelled Ellsworth. The post office
closed June 15, 1915 with mail rerouted to
Rural post office established June 3,1907 with Fred Roche Estes as post master
(1869-1949). It was located in NE 1/4 Sec 6-
149-104, eight miles SW of Cartwright, near the East bank of the Yellowstone River, and
closed 9-15-1916 with mail to
Town site founded in NE 1/4 Sec7-151-104, Yellowstone Twp, five miles north of East
Fairview. the post office was
established April 18, 1901 with George Dore, one of the area's first settlers, as
post master. The town never experienced
any major development, and population figures of 50 reported in both 1920 and 1960 were
probably somewhat exaggerated.
The post office closed December 27,1968 with mail to East Fairview.
This was a rural post office established in November 2,1907 with Jens G. Walla (1871-1925)
as postmaster. Peter Vidmo
opened a store here that same year, and in 1909 the Farland Lutheran Church was built.
The location was NW1/4 Sec. 29-
151-99, Farland Twp., six miles NNE of Arnegard. The name was coined to note that
this place was very far from everywhere
else. The post office moved one mile NE to SE1/4 Sec. 20-151-99 just before it
closed November 30, 1916 with mail rerouted
This was a little known fur trading post established in 1871 at or near the site of the
long abandoned Fort Henry. To avoid
military control, founders Alvin and James Leighton, and Walter B. Jordan, purposely built
it just out of the military reach of
Ft. Buford, although they namred it for Col. Charles C. Gilbert of that post. It
proved to be of little merit, and no mention of the
fort is found after September 1874.
This was an early trading post established the by the Rocky Mountain Fur Company of St.
Louis, Missouri in 1822. It was
located in Sec. 27-152-104, Yellowstone Twp., on the south bank of the Yellowstone River,
just above its confluence with the
Missouri River. William H. Ashley (1778-1838), later a congressman from Missouri,
was the money behind this venture, but
active management was the responsibility of its namesake, Andrew Henry (1775-1833), a
native of PA. The venture was
unsuccessful, and it was abandoned in 1823.
This was a rural post office authorized, and rescinded, on three different occasions.
It was first authorized July 14, 1906
with Lenora K. Glasser as post master, and rescinded November 6, 1906. She was
reappointed post master January 6,
1907, and on February 6, 1907 a new order appeared, but listing John K. Glasser as post
master. Both of these orders were
rescinded May 24, 1907. The reasons for these actions and the location of the post
office remains unknown.
This was a rural post office established October 6, 1902 with Carrie E. Goodall as post
master. It was located on the W. J.
Goodall ranch in NW1/4 Sec. 10-152-93, River View Twp., opposite Sanish, moved two miles
west to NW1/4 Sec. 8-152-93 in
1909, and closed September 15, 1916 with mail rerouted to Sanish.
This was a rural post office was established December 4, 1911 with Charles. W. Dean as
post master. It was located in
SE1/4 Sec 34-150-104, Yellowstone Twp., seven miles SSW of Cartwright, and closed November
30, 1912 with mail rerouted
to Fairview, Montana. After the name Horse Creek was rejected, it was named for D.W.
Grant, a Northern Pacific Rail Road
official involved with the construction of the mainline westward from Mandan in 1879.
This rural community was founded about 1910 in NW1/4 Sec. 12-145-99, Rhoades Twp, thirty
five miles south of Watford
City, and named to note the nearby butte which was named to note the fact that is was the
only butte in the area that was not
bare of vegetation. The post office was established in a sod house on September 10,
1913 with Donald McKenzie as post
master. He and James Warren operated it from this building until 1964. The Zip
Code is 58634, and the population has been
quoted as about 100 since its founding, although that figure includes some outlying areas.
This was a farm post office established March 26, 1907 with Charles Green as post master.
It was located in SE1/4 Sec 1-
151-102, Charbon Twp., six miles NNW of Alexander on the bank of Timber Creek. The
post office was discontinued
November 15, 1907 with mail rerouted to Alexander.
A rural post office established Aug 15, 1913 with Fred Horstman as postmaster at his home
sixteen miles SW of Alexander.
Mr. Horstman had submitted the names Frederick, Ida, Joe, Gunder, Center, and Horse Creek,
and postal officials chose Joe,
which honors Joe Stroud who came here from Texas in 1891 with his brother Robert.
The post office closed June 30, 1916
with mail rerouted to Moline.
Located sixteen miles east of Watford City. There have been several Johnson families in
this area over the years, but the
name is thought to honor L.L. Johnson, who lived just west of the rural area, as early as
1916. Johnson Corner and Johnson
Corners are alternate spellings.
The town site was founded about 1915 in SW 1/4 Sec. 25-149-97, thirteen miles SE of
Watford City. It owed its existence to
a planned extension of the Great Northern Rail Road from Watford City to New Rockford, but
Juniper failed to develop when
these plans were abandoned. The name notes the native evergreen trees in the area.
Several families, mostly Scandinavians, came here in 1905 from Ulen, Keene Twp., Clay
County Minnesota, which had been
named for a Civil War veteran who homesteaded there. The post office was established
May 13, 1911 with Swend A.
Martinson, as postmaster acting from his home in SE 1/4 Sec. 11-152-96, Keene Twp. The
name Keene was adopted only
after Mr. Martinson's suggested name of Pioneer had been rejected. By 1915 a small town
site had begun to develop, and
the post office was moved to the drugstore run by new postmaster Olof T. Kjorlaug.
A population of 26 was reported in
1920. In October 1934 pm Catherine Schuman moved the facility five miles SSW to NW
1/4 Sec. 2-151-96, Blue Butte Twp,
which was the site of a new community called UNION CENTER. There is evidence that
the actual move had taken place as
early as October 15, 1932. Within a short time, KEENE was almost universally
accepted as the name of the new location.
This small settlement about 20 miles NE of WATFORD CITY still exists, although its
population has never exceeded 50. The
Zip Code is 58847.
This was a rural post office established March 6, 1908 with Fred Kramer as postmaster. It
was located in NW 1/4 Sec. 8-152-
95, Hawkeye Twp, seven miles NE of Keene, and closed February 15, 1910 with mail rerouted
to Charlson. The origin of the
name is unknown. Kingsley is an erroneous spelling.
This was a rural post office established April 5, 1930 with John Leakey as postmaster from
his home in NE 1/4 Sec. 2-145-
102, eighteen miles west of Grassy Butte. It was discontinued September 15, 1931
with mail rerouted to Bicycle. Leskey is
an erroneous spelling.
This was a rural post office established May 22, 1914 with Claude M. Murray as postmaster,
who named it for his hometown
of Loyal, Wisconsin, which was named during the Civil War when it was claimed that every
eligible male in town had enlisted
in the military. It was located in SE 1/4 Sec. 18-146-104, Loyal Twp, about 40 miles
SW of Watford City, and closed April 15,
1916 with mail rerouted to Trotters.
This is a community founded in 1954 in Sec. 14-149-94, thirty miles ESE of Watford City,
as the Western Sub-Agency for the
Fort Berthold Indian Reservation, and was intended to be a home for those people displaced
by the rising backwaters of the
Garrison Dam. The name was suggested by Father Reinhard Kauffman, a longtime
Roman Catholic missionary on the
reservation, using parts of the names of the three affiliated tribes here--MANdan,
HIDatsa, and REE, or Arikara. The post
office was established May 20, 1955 with Mrs. Beatrice E. Balliet as acting postmaster.
Her appointment became official
July 1, 1955. The Zip Code is 58757, and a population of 115 was reported in 1960.
This was a farm post office established August 16,1906 with William E. Crist as
postmaster, who named the post office for
his wife. It was located in SW 1/1 Sec. 25-147-99 in Rhodes Twp., nine miles north
of Grassy Butte, moved to Sec. 34-147-99
in 1914, and SE 1/4 Sec. 33-147-99 before closing January 26, 1932 with mail rerouted to
Christofer J. Graue, a native of Iowa, became postmaster of the Sanford post office on
March 9, 1910, moving that facility to
his home in SE 1/4 Sec. 35-153-94, River View Twp., twenty-eight miles NE of Watford City.
Because of the confusion with
Lansford, he changed the name to Maynard on August 25, 1910 to honor his son who farmed
two miles to the NW in NW 1/4
Sec. 22-153-94. Maynard Graue had been named for the family's ancestral home of
Maynard, Massachusetts, which was
named for Amory Maynard (1804- 1890), a prominent textile manufacturer. Maynard is a
Teutonic name meaning mighty
brave. The post office closed March 31, 1913 with mail rerouted to Charlson.
This place appears only on a 1930 roadmap published by the General Drafting Co., on old ND
Highway 16, about fifteen miles
SSW of Alexander. Like other similar places on this map, it borrows its name from
its county, and is a copyright town.
This was a rural post office established March 10, 1910 with Earl G Rose as
postmaster. It was located in NE 1/4 Sec. 28-
149-102 Moline Twp, 11 miles SW of Alexander, and named by Mrs. Rose for her uncle, John
Moline, who lived in Sweden.
The post office closed November 15, 1919 with mail rerouted to Alexander.
This was a rural post office established June 21, 1909 with Dora Isabelle Olive Stroud,
the wife of legendary rancher, Robert
Stroud (1816-1931), as postmaster. It was located in NW1/4 Sec. 26-151-103, Sioux Twp.,
five miles east of Cartwright. Mr.
Stroud named it for his former home of Nameless, Texas, which had been given this rather
humorous name after postal
officials had rejected six other suggested names. Nameless, Texas had a post office
1880-1890. The Nameless, North
Dakota post office closed August 31,1916 with mail rerouted to Cartwright, but the
Nameless Cemetery still exists in SW 1/4
This was to be a Great Northern Railroad station built in 1913 in Sec. 25-150-98, Schafer
Twp., just south of Schafer. A local
rancher named it for his hometown of Pembroke, Maine, which was named for Pembroke, Wales.
Pembroke is a Welsh
name meaning from the headland. Railroad construction stopped at Watford City, and
Pembroke failed to develop.
Since about 1953 the rural community in Wilbur Twp. (153-101) fifteen miles north of
Alexander, has been known by this
descriptive name, although many still use the original name of Rosseland.
This was a transient workers camp at the Bird Head Cattle Co. in Sec. 5-150-101, Alex
Twp., named for the nearby Ragged
Buttes, so named because of their profile against the horizon. The town site of
Alexander was founded at this site in 1905.
This Great Northern Railroad station was founded in 1910 in SW 1/4 Sec. 7-150-100,
Arnegard Twp., between Alexander and
Arnegard. It was named for Willis C. Rawson, a hardware and implement dealer from
Williston, who owned the town site.
The post office was established March 24, 1914 with Henry E. Baumann as postmaster.
The elevation is 2257, and the post
office, Zip Code 58848, closed December 30, 1972 with mail rerouted to Alexander.
This was a rural post office established November 2, 1906 with Edward M Roth as
postmaster, who then decided to decline
the appointment. Mr. Roth's home was in SE 1/4 Sec. 25-152-102, Elk Twp, eight miles
NNW of Alexander. Edward L. Penson
was appointed post master when the post office was again authorized on March 12, 1907,
with the facility located in SE 1/4
Sec. 19-152-101, Poe Twp., three miles NE of the Roth home, and nine miles north of
Alexander. It closed January 31,1910
with mail rerouted to Wilbur.
This name has been associated for many years with the rural community around the country
church in Sec. 22-153-101,
Wilbur Twp., fifteen miles north of Alexander, and named for the maiden name of Mrs. Anton
Nelson, an area pioneer. About
1953 the community began using the name Prairie Valley, although the original name is
still in use as well.
This was a rural post office established November 10, 1910 with Ben L Green as postmaster
working from his home in SW
1/4 Sec.33-149-104, thirteen miles SSW of Cartwright. Postal officials rejected the
name Cheney, after which it was named
for Ruby Lowe Anderson, a local ranchers wife. On February 17, 1912 the post office
moved two miles SW to the home of
Silas R Bryant, who changed the name to Benniepier.
This was a rural post office established April 13, 1907 with Silas Morton, a native of
Pennsylvania who was nearly seventy
years of age, as postmaster. It was located in SW 1/4 Sec. 26-153-95, Elm Tree Twp.,
one mile to the south of Charlson, and
named for the many Sanford families in the area, particularly Paul and William .Sanford,
neighbors of Mr Morton. Christifer J
Graue became postmaster on March 9,1910, and moved the post office seven miles ESE to his
home in SE 2/4 Sec. 35-153-
94, River View Twp. Because of confusion with Lansford, the name was changed to
Maynard on August 25,1910
The place began as a rural post office established November 28, 1899 with Charles F Shafer
as postmaster. It was named
for the postmaster, with the addition of the "c" credited to G B Metzger
(1851-1930), said to be the first settler in the area,
who had seen Mr. Shafer's name misspelled so many times that he thought the post office
should reflect the incorrect form
of the name. It was located in NE 1/4 Sec. 23-150-98, Schafer Twp., five miles east
of Watford City, and was involved with the
battles for the county seat in 1905-1906, capturing the honor in 1906 from Alexander.
This resulted in a boom period, with
the town reporting a population of 225 in 1920. The Great Northern Railroad planned
to extend its line from Watford City to
New Rockford, but high land acquisition costs caused the railroad to drop these plans,
resulting in a rapid decline for
Schafer, now destined to be without a railroad. On June 1, 1941 the county seat was
moved to Watford City, and Schafer
soon became a ghost town, John K Diehm became postmaster in 1909, and held that position
until the post office closed
September 30, 1941 with mail rerouted to Watford City. The founder's son, George F Shafer
(1888-1948), was governor of ND
This was a farm post office established July 25, 1916 with Thomas C. Taylor as postmaster.
It was located in NW 1/4 Sec.10-
147-103, Thirty-three miles SW of Watford City, and named for the site owner, Julius
Searing Taylor, after Taylor had been
rejected because of duplication in Stark County. The post office closed March 15,
1921 with mail rerouted to Alexander. It
reopened February 7, 1922 in SE 1/4 Sec. 28-147-103, and seven miles SSE of the original
site as Searing, but only after a
name change to Dean had been rejected. In 1928 it moved one mile NW to SE 1/4 Sec.
28-147-103, and operated until
postmaster Annie Kemna closed the facility September 30, 1952 with mail rerouted to
Sidney, Montana. A population of 3
was reported in 1940.
This was a rural post office established May 12, 1911 with Charles H. Holiday as
postmaster. It was located in SE 1/4 Sec.28-
154-97, Twin Valley Twp., twenty-four miles NNE of Watford City on the south bank of the
Missouri River, near the trading
post and ferry run by Capt. Edw. Seneschal, for whom it was named after Mr. Holiday's
suggested name of White City was
rejected by postal officials. Capt. Seneschal's ferry was sunk during the spring
1917 icebreaking of the Missouri River. The
post office was taken over by Ovid C. Parks in 1915, and by Guy R. Renbarger, a native of
Indiana, in 1916, when it moved four
miles ENE to Sec. 23-154-97. The post office closed October 31, 1918 with mail
rerouted to Banks.
Many early 1900's sources and maps show Shafer in NE 1/4 Sec. 23-150-98, Schafer Twp.,
named for Charles E. Shafer
(1851-1930), the founder of this settlement who was the head of a prominent family that
included a son, George, who would
later serve as Governor of ND. Although this spelling is technically correct, it is
said that another pioneer, G B Metzger,
suggested using Schafer to coincide with the frequently seen erroneous spelling, and the
incorrect version became the
official name of the town site.
This was a rural community founded in 1912 in Sec.22-145-105, Loyal Twp. Thirty-eight
miles west of Grassy Butte in
extreme SW corner of the county, and named for local rancher Edward Skarr. K P
Hetzler started a country store here in
1912, and the post office was established June 5, 1915 with Nancy Clements as postmaster.
A population of 30 was
reported in 1920. The post office closed February 28, 1955 with mail rerouted to
Sidney, Montana, and the store and its
contents were sold at auction June 23 ,1955. Skarr still appears on some maps.
This was a rural post office established February 24,1908 with William P Spearin as
postmaster. It was located in SE 1/4
Sec. 20-151-102, Charbon Twp, ten miles WNW of Alexander until 1910, when it moved five
miles north to SE 1/4 Sec. 29-
152-102, Elk Twp. The post office closed October 31, 1912 with mail rerouted to
This is the name of a rural community in SW McKenzie County, centered in one of the most
sparsely settled regions in the
state. The name notes a local rock formation said to resemble an Indian squaw
carrying a papoose, and its location in a gap
in the hills. Squaw Gap achieved national attention in 1971 when it became one of the last
regions in the country to receive
This was a rural post office, the first in McKenzie County, established October 3, 1895
with Jeffrey Edward Hanley (1864-
1945) as postmaster. It was located in NE 1/4 Sec. 1-152-101, ten miles NNE of
Alexander near what was called Baker's
Ferry. The name honored Joseph G Stroud, who had come to this area from Texas with
his brother, Robert W Stroud. The
post office moved several times within this general area as six additional postmasters
serving the patrons of the region, and
closed July 15, 1913 with mail rerouted to Williston.
This was a rural post office established December 22, 1906 with Rev. Peder G. Arnstad
(1871)-1948) as postmaster. Rev.
Arnstad, a Lutheran minister, was born in Norway and came here from Minnestoa in 1905.
The post office was located in N
1/2 Sec.10-151-98, Garden Twp., eight miles NNE of Watford City, and named for a nearby
creek and boat landing at the
creeks mouth. Preliminary application forms show this post office as Garden, but postal
officials apparently ignored the one-
word tradition and allowed the two-word historic place name to be used. The post
office closed October 31, 1916 with mail
rerouted to Schafer.
In 1931 Peter Hanson opened a garage and repair shop in NW 1/4 Sec 2-151-96, Blue Butte
Twp, about twenty miles NE of
Watford City. By the following year the site had become somewhat of a community
center, and that fall leaders of the local
Farmers Union gave it its name. In October 1934 postmaster Catherine Schumann moved
the Keene post office, five miles
to the north, to Union Center, and within a short time the Keene name had come into
general usage here.
This Great Northern Railroad terminus founded in 1913 as Banks, but was soon thereafter
renamed Watford. Because of
confusion with Wolford in Pierce County, it was renamed Watford City on May 13, 1916. John
C. Zeller as postmaster (1881-
1960). The village became a city in 1934 with Dr Harry U Winner as the first mayor, and in
1941 it defeated Alexander for
county seat honors, taking the courthouse away from Shafer. The elevation is 2084, the Zip
Code is 58854, and a peak
population of 2114 was reached in 1980. Historian and author Erling Nicolai Rolfsrud and
former Lt. Governor and Labor
Commissioner Orville West "Ike" Hagan are natives of Watford City.
Capt. Ed Seneschal came to McKenzie County in 1910 from Fort Pierre, SD and founded this
town site in NW 1/4 Sec. 28-154-
97, Twin Valley Twp., twenty four miles NNE of Watford City, naming it White City because
all of its buildings were painted
this color. In 1911 the Seneschal post office was established just to the SE, taking
this name only after postal officials had
rejected White City, which continued to use local usage.
This name is found in early accounts to denote a building in Sec. 6-152-100, adjacent to
the Stroud post office, that served
for a short time in 1905 as the first McKenzie County courthouse. The county seat
status was never officially recognized,
and within a few weeks Alexander received the honor. Some sources call this place
Stone House, thought to be erroneous.
This was a rural post office established February 27, 1905 with Wilbur H Rogers, as
postmaster. It was located in NE 1/4 Sec.
9-153-101, Wilbur Twp., three miles SW of Williston on the south bank of the Missouri
River. It moved two miles south in
1910 to NW 1/4 Sec. 14-153-101, and closed November 30, 1912 with mail rerouted to
This was a rural post office established March 19, 1906 with John E "Jack"
Williams (1861-1937), who came here in 1898,
as postmaster. It was located in SE 1/4 Sec. 13-149--96, Bear Den Twp., nineteen miles ESE
of Watford City, and closed May
31,1907, with mail rerouted to Schafer.