This GNRR townsite was founded in 1905 in Alec Twp, and was first called
RAGGED BUTTES, but
within a short time it was renamed for Alexander McKenzie, the political
boss from Bismarck, who is also the namesake of the county. Some say
it was named for Alexander F. Bell, the towns first barber, for whom nearby
Bell's Butte is named. The post office was established August 14, 1905 with
Herbert W. Moore pm. The elevation is 2154, the zip code is 58831 and a peak
population of 415 was reached in 1940.
This rural post office, approximately twenty two miles SSE of Alexander on the north bank of the Little Missouri River, was authorized June 11, 1904 with Almira Sandercock pm. That order was rescinded Dec. 6, 1904, but the office was reestablished Jan 4, 1905 with Percy S. Sanford pm at his home on the SW bank of Redwing Creek. It closed Sept 30,1907 with mail to Alexander. Alnura is an erroneous spelling.