Back to Index

Baden Township
T159N X R88W Latitude = 48-36-00 N
Longitude = 102-03-00 W
History
 

Towns / Cities
All Information from the Book "North Dakota Place Names" by Douglas A Wick

Galva

This was a Soo Line Rail Road loading station in SW1/4 Section 13-159-88, Baden Township, three miles north of Coulee, between Kenmare and Donnybrook. It was named for Galva, IL, which was named for Gelfe, Switzerland with an Anglicized spelling. The post office was established July 13, 1899 with Josie Clipper post mistress. She was succeeded by Minnie Price in 1901. The post office closed January 15, 1904 when it was relocated one-half mile west to the new townsite of Baden in S1/2 Section 14-159-88.

Baden

This Soo Line RR loading station in S1/2 Section 14-159-88, Baden Township, replaced the Galva station just top the east in 1904. The Galva post office moved here January 15, 1904, taking the name BADE? to honor settlers from that province of Germany. Olof Rudolph was the Post Master and the township clerk. A population of 25 was reported in 1920, but the post office closed November 15, 1920 with mail to Kenmare, and PADEN disappeared from maps in the late 1930s.

 

Business History

 
 

Schools

School # 2  Section 16 School #3  Section 30
School #4  Section 14  

Cemeteries

Spring Valley Mennonite Cemetery
SW Corner SW1/4 of Section 17-159-88
1/23/1932

Baden Cemetery (AKA Faulk Cemetery)
SW 1/4 Section 29

 

Churches

Our Savior Church Section 26


 
 

Historical / Genealogy Society
 

 

Historical, Genealogical and Ethnic Events

 
 

Photographs

 
 

Personal and Community Stories about this Area

 
 

Back to Index