Back to Index

 Burlington Township
T155N X R84W Latitude = 48-13-44 N
Longitude = 101-30-51 W
History
 

Towns / Cities
All Information from the Book "North Dakota Place Names" by Douglas A Wick

 

Burlington

First known as COLTON, the first post office in Ward County was established here February 26, 1884 as BURLINGTON with James Johnson (1850-1932), the son-in-law of town site founder Joseph L. Colton, as Post Master. It is located in E1/2 Section 2-155-84, Burlington Township, and was named for Burlington, Iowa, hometown of Frank Hatton, the Assistant Postmaster General at the time. The Iowa city was named for Burlington, Vermont, which was named for either Richard Boyle (1695-1753) or John Boyle (1707-1763), the 3rd and 4th Earls of Burlington, by their relative, Governor Benning Wentworth of New Hampshire.

As the only town in Ward County, BURLINGTON was named county seat in 1885, but lost that honor to Minot in 1888.The elevation is 1590, the Zip Code is 58722, and the village, which did not incorporate until 1957, maintained a population of about 200 for decades, but recent outgrowth from Minot has swelled the count to a peak of 761 in 1980

Davis

This was a Soo Line Railroad Loading station in SW1/4 Section 12-155-84, Burlington Township, one mile south of Burlington, serving the Davis Coal Company, which later became the Northern Briquetting Company. L.M. Davis established the first coal mine in the area in 1893. The station appeared on maps circa 1910-1920.

Business History

 
 

Schools

School #2          Section 27  
   

Cemeteries

Burlington Cemetery        Section 2

Burlington Township Cemetery
(Roach Cemetery) SE 1/4 Section 14

Unnamed Burlington Township Cemetery        Section 18

Unnamed Burlington Township Cemetery
SE 1/4 Section 18 - T155N - 84W

Churches

   

 

 

Historical / Genealogy Society
 

 

Historical, Genealogical and Ethnic Events

 
 

Photographs

Burlington House 1884 First house 1883
 

Personal and Community Stories about this Area

Jim & Carolyn Johnson's Memories of Burlington
 
 

Back to Index