Back to Index


Des Lacs Township
T155N X R85W Latitude = 48-13-40 N
Longitude = 101-35-00 W
History

A Post Office was established here in 1888 and discontinued in 1898 and mail sent to Minot. In 1900 the railroad reached this town and the Post Office was reinstated. Named for both the Des Lacs River and Lake nearby which the French explorers called Lac Aux Mort (The Lake of the Dead)

Towns / Cities
All Information from the Book "North Dakota Place Names" by Douglas A Wick

Des Lacs / Deslacs

This was a rural community along the Great Northern Rail Road tracks in SE1/4 Section 11-155-85, Des Lacs Township. A post office was established March 15, 1888 with Tobias Welo postmaster, who named it for the nearby lakes and river. The name is literally translated from the French as the lakes. The post office closed July 6, 1898 with mail to Minot. A township was platted in 1900, and the post office reopened July 27, 1900 as DESLACS to comply with government spelling regulations, changing back to the two-word spelling on February 15, 1948. Fred B Becker (1865-1934) is considered to be the first resident of the new townsite, which incorporated as a village in 1911, and reached a peak population of 211 in 1980. The elevation is 1931, and the Zip Code is 58733.

Lonetree

Business History

 
 

Schools

 

 

Cemeteries

Des Lacs Cemetery
Burlington Twp SW 1/4 Section 11

 
 

Churches

Des Lacs United Methodist
RR Des lacs
701-725-4982
 

 

 

Historical / Genealogy Society
 

 

Historical, Genealogical and Ethnic Events

 
 

Photographs

 
 

Personal and Community Stories about this Area

 
 

Back to Index