Search billions of records on


Back to Index

Elmdale Township
T160N X R89W Latitude = 48-41-00 N
Longitude = 102-07-00 W


Towns / Cities
All Information from the Book "North Dakota Place Names" by Douglas A Wick


This Great Northern Railroad townsite was founded in 1907 in Section 18-160-89, Elmdale Township, seven miles WNW of Kenmare and named by the Dakota and Great Northern Townsite Company for the wife of Amphion, King of Thebes, in Greek mythology. The post office was established March 24, 1908 with Andrew Nelson Postmaster, a position held by Lillian S. Larson (1942-1972). The elevation is 2028, and a peak population of 250 was claimed in 1920, with a rapid decline to just 95 in 1930. The post office, Zip Code 58764, closed May 1, 1974 with mail to Kenmare.


Business History



Ellendale School  Section 3

Elmdale School  Section 29
Spencer School  Section 23 Big Spring School  Section 3


Elmdale Lutheran Cemetery
Section 7-160-89   10/2/31

Niobe Cemetery    Section 7
Elmdale Cemetery      NE 1/4 Section 7  


Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church Swedish Baptist Church



Historical / Genealogy Society


Historical, Genealogical and Ethnic Events




Personal and Community Stories about this Area


Back to Index