Search billions of records on


Back to Index

Rice Lake Township
T152N R85W Latitude = 47-58-23 N
Longitude = 101-33-02 W

Towns / Cities
All Information from the Book "North Dakota Place Names" by Douglas A Wick


This was a farm post office established May 19, 1906 with Herbert Jerome Young as the first and only post master. Jerome is a Greek name meaning of sacred name. It was located in NE1/4 Section 13-152-85, Rice Lake Township, ten miles north of Douglas, and closed January 31, 1914 with mail to Grelland.


This was a farm post office established December 15, 1898 with John R. Rice (1864-1944) as the first and only postmaster. Mr. Rice came to America in 1882 from his native Norway, and arrived in this area as a laborer with a Great Northern Railroad Construction crew. The post office was located in SE1/4 Section 3-152-85, Rice Lake Township, nine miles SW of Minot, and named for Rice Lake, which was also named for Mr. Rice. It closed June 30, 1899 with mail to Minot when Mr. Rice decided to try his luck at ranching in Montana. During the 1920's this site was a popular resort.

Business History






Early Settlers Cemetery 
NE 1/4 Section 2






Historical / Genealogy Society


Historical, Genealogical and Ethnic Events




Personal and Community Stories about this Area

The Rolfnes Family With Photo  

Back to Index