Back to Index

Ryder Township
T151N R86W Latitude = 47-54-00 N
Longitude = 101-40-38 W
History
 

Towns / Cities
All Information from the Book "North Dakota Place Names" by Douglas A Wick

Centerville / DeKalb

This was an inland town in SE 1/4 Sec. 24-151-86, Ryder Township, founded in 1902. It had a bank, general store, hotel and a newspaper, "The Centerville News", edited by Guy F. Humphries. The name is thought to be indicative of the settlers' hopes for the importance of their community. This name was rejected by postal authorities because of duplication in SD and the name was changed to DeKalb, which likewise was rejected. Finally the name RYDER was accepted and it became a thriving city on the newly-built Soo Line RR.

Ryder

This farm post office was established June 26, 1903 with Austin Gray post master. It was located in SE1/4 Sec. 24-151-86, Ryder Twp., and named for Arthur F. Ryder of Minot, who had loaned his sheeplined coat to a postal inspector who was traveling to this site during cold weather.

In 1906 the post office was moved to the new Soo Line RR townsite in Sec. 10-151-86, two miles NW of the original site. Pm OleJ. Bye of the nearby Bye post office took over the Ryder post office after it moved to the townsite. The village incorporated in 1907, and it became a city in 1968 with Donald L. Morris mayor.

The Zip Code is 58779, and a peak population of 483 was reached in 1920

 

Business History

Olness Mercantile - Creamery - Soo Line Railroad - Osborne McMillan Elevator Co. - Theatre - Ryder Exchange - Hotel - Pool Hall - Blacksmith - Implement Dealers - Hardware Store -
If you know anything about any early Business in Ryder, The township or Ward County Please let me know
Queen City Telephone Company  

Schools

Ryder Public School Centerville School   Section 28
 

Cemeteries
Rose hill Cemetery
SW1/4 Section 3-151-86
This Cemetery is compiled of 4 equal sized blocks

Block One
City of Ryder

Block Two
Ryder Presbyterian Church
Block Three
Saint John's Lutheran Church of Ryder
Block Four
Saint Charles Catholic Church of Ryder
Holy Cross Cemetery
Church of the Holy Cross / Douglas
Section 36-151-86     10/20/31
 

Churches

Calvary Presbyterian Church
PO Box 58
Ryder, ND 58778

Since 1903

Saint Johns Lutheran Church
PO Box 57
Ryder, ND 58778

Since 1904

Saint Charles Catholic Church

1903-?

Immanuel Lutheran Church

1919-1966

Ryder Church of God

abt 1928-?

 

Historical / Genealogy Society
Ryder Historical Society
c/o Faye Karna
20510 184th St. S.W.
Ryder, ND 58779
701-758-2527
 

 

Historical, Genealogical and Ethnic Events

 
 

Photographs

 
 

Personal and Community Stories about this Area

Milton Edward Bowen  
 

Back to Index