Back to Index

Saint Marys Township
T157N R84W Latitude = 48-22-20 N
Longitude = 101-28-00 W
 History
 

Towns / Cities
All Information from the Book "North Dakota Place Names" by Douglas A Wick

Stammen

This was a farm post office established January 7, 1896 with Hubert Heinen Postmaster, who had entered the name Saint Mary on his application. This name was rejected, and the post office was then was rejected, and the post office was then was rejected, and the post office was then named for prominent local cattleman John Stammen, a native of Germany who came to America in 1868. Many members of his family lived in the area. The post office was located in NE1/4 Section 28-157-84, Saint Mary's Township, nine miles NW of Burlington on the west bank of the Souris River, and closed December 30, 1899 with mail to Burlington.

 

Business History

 
 

Schools

Stamen School #1  Section 19

Stamen School #2  Section 11
   

Cemeteries

Saint Marys Cemetery   Section 32

 
 

Churches

   

 

 

Historical / Genealogy Society
 

 

Historical, Genealogical and Ethnic Events

 
 

Photographs

 
 

Personal and Community Stories about this Area

 
 

Back to Index