Back to Index

Surrey Township
T155N R81W Latitude = 48-14-11 N
Longitude = 101-07-59 W
History
 

Towns / Cities
All Information from the Book "North Dakota Place Names" by Douglas A Wick

Surrey

This Great Northern Railroad townsite was promoted by Max Bass, the railroad's immigration agent, in 1894 in Section 19-155-81, Surrey Township and named for Surrey, England by railroad officials. Settlement began in 1900, and the post office was established June 18, 1900 with George W. Burke Postmaster. The town became a household word in ND in 1911 when it was made the terminus of the GNRR's new Surrey cutoff line from Fargo. The elevation is 1473, and the Zip Code is 58785. The village did not incorporate until 1951, when the population was about 150. Since that time it has become a favorite location for people who work in Minot, but wish to live in a smaller town, and its 1980 population reached a peak of 998.

 

Business History

 
 

Schools

School #1  Section 30

 
   

Cemeteries

Surrey Brethren Church Cemetery
SW 1/4 Section 18

Fairview Mennonite Church Cemetery
NE 1/4 Section 31
 

Churches

   

 

 

Historical / Genealogy Society
 

 

Historical, Genealogical and Ethnic Events

 
 

Photographs

 
 

Personal and Community Stories about this Area

 
 

Back to Index