Search billions of records on


Back to Index

Torning Township
T153N R84W
Township Map
Latitude = 48-04-06 N
Longitude = 101-27-49 W
Township Information and map are from the book "People of the Prairie"
By the people of the South Prairie area.

   In order for a township to be organized it had to have a taxable evaluation of at least $40,000 and there must be at least 25 people of voting age, and a majority of the voters must sign a petition.
(The history then lists all 25 people)
   The name Torning was brought by the Norwegian settlers from their old home in Torning township near Benson, Minnesota, and was given to their new township in the western hills of Ward County. They kept a bit of the old home in the name of their township, but the treeless hills and draws must have been very different from Minnesota
   The township officers in 1905 were Andrew Eidahl - chairman, Iver Brandvold and L.T. Larson, supervisors, Jacob Dynig - Clerk, John Stakston - Treasurer, G.P. Russell - Assessor, Elbert Peterson - Justice of the peace, John Peterson - Constable.

Towns / Cities
All Information from the Book "North Dakota Place Names" by Douglas A Wick


This was a farm post office established April 4, 1908 with William A. Pitts Postmaster. It was located in SE1/4 Section 7-153-84, Torning Township, fifteen miles SW of Minot and closed January 31, 1914 with mail to Grelland.


Business History



School #1  Section 11

School #3  Section 20
School #4  Section 23  


Zion Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Cemetery
SW Corner SE1/4 Section 19-153-84       11/4/1931

Fron Lutheran Cemetery
NW Corner NE1/4 Section 24-153-84      12/22/1931


Zion Norwegian Evangelical Church

   The Zion Lutheran Church stood beside Highway 18 in the western edge of torning township for many years. the congregation was organized in 1905. The church was built in 1911-1912. The congregation was a part of the Douglas parish

Fron Lutheran church

   The Fron Congregation was organized by Rev. N. Astrup Larson of Minot on May 23, 1904, at the home of Amund Stakston.
   The first church was built in 1914, but was destroyed by fire due to lightening on July 19, 1934. The church was rebuilt in 1935.

Historical / Genealogy Society


Historical, Genealogical and Ethnic Events




Personal and Community Stories about this Area


Back to Index