Back to Index

Willis Township
T153N R82W
Township Map
Latitude = 48-04-05 N
Longitude = 101-15-43 W
History
Township Information and map are from the book "People of the Prairie"
By the people of the South Prairie area.

   Willis township was named for C.C. Willis, a pioneer of he Sawyer area who came here around 1880 as a brick layer. He settled west of Sawyer on what is known as the Hayes place. He was one of the first officers of the Pleasant school district of Sawyer in the early 1900's. Mr. Willis was elected county commissioner of the fifth Ward. district in 1906. In 1908 he notarized the papers that officially made Willis a township. The first township meeting was held in the living room at the home of F.B. Pitkin. The members that served on the first township board were Fred Tullar, Cad. Beighle and Guy Putney. The board also had a constable and Justice of the peace.

Towns / Cities

 
 

Business History

 
 

Schools

School #1  Section 29

School #2  Section 2
School #3  Section 7 School #4  Section 16
School #5  Section 33  

Cemeteries

Center Cemetery  Section 16

Willis Township Cemetery
NW 1/4 Section 15

 

Churches

Highland Church   Section 33  

 

 

Historical / Genealogy Society
 

 

Historical, Genealogical and Ethnic Events

 
 

Photographs

 
 

Personal and Community Stories about this Area

 
 

Back to Index