History of Wells County
In 1870 two counties, Pembina and Buffalo were created by the Territorial
Legislature. Pembina extended west of the Red River of the North to the 9th Guide
Meridian, and Buffalo from there to the Missouri River. In 1873 Wells county was
created from part of Buffalo County and named Gingras (Jennegra) county in
honor of Antoine Blane Gingras of St. Joseph, now Walhalla. In 1881 the county
name was changed to Wells, in honor of E. P. Wells, of Jamestown. Wells County
contains 36 townships. The two largest cities are Harvey, population 2263, and
Fesenden, the county seat, population 655.
County Seat: Beach
Area 1008 square miles.
2000 population -- 1,924
Search the Wells County website