by Catherine Renschler
The village of Holstein, located in Cottonwood Township, was platted in 1887 when the Kansas City and Omaha Railroad came through the area. Most of the land in Cottonwood Township had been settled in the 1870's and a settlement may have begun before the arrival of the railroad in 1887. The town was incorporated in June, 1889 with boundaries which embraced a tract of land six miles long and three miles wide, one-half of Cottonwood Township. Holstein became known as the "Six by Three Town." Why such a large area? Some said they expected the town to grow, but others explained that it was necessary to include that large an area to get enough citizens to sign a petition for a liquor license; the population was sparse. The new village was named Holstein in honor of Schleswig-Holstein in northern Germany, former home of many early settlers. In 1915 the village boundaries were amended to contain only portions of section 22, 23, 26 and 27, Cottonwood Township.
Reports for School District #11, later known as Holstein School, were first filed for the 1876-77 school year. John C. Hargleroad was the first reported teacher at a salary of $12 per month. A one room school house may have existed as early as 1872. Some time later a two story frame building was erected. The brick structure was erected in 1908 at a cost of $8,000.
In 1889 because of the large area of the town, the eighteen square miles, an additional school, known as West Ward, was built on Section 21. This school closed in 1936.
The Class of 1909 was the first high school graduating class. It consisted of one student, W. B. Hargleroad, Jr. Because of low enrollment, the junior and senior high school grades were discontinued in 1970.
When the brick schoolhouse was built in 1908, the old two story frame building was moved south of the railroad tracks on Depot Street and used as an opera house for several years. It was torn down in 1914 and in 1915 W. G. Hargleroad built a large brick two story building on the west side of Depot Street. The lower floor of the building was known as the "Opera House" because plays were given here in the early years and later movies were shown in the theatre. The second floor was divided into two small offices which were used by the various doctors and a large room used as a public meeting place and dance hall. During the 1920's the upstairs hall was used as a gymnasium since the school did not have one. In later years the building was used as a tavern.
Holstein post office was established in 1888 with A. S. Thompson as first postmaster. The post office was located in his combination drug and grocery story on the corner of Depot and Fillmore Streets and served a population of about 150 area residents.
Several businesses were opened in 1888 including a drug store operated by Mr. McPeak; general merchandise store operated by J.H. Freeman of Juniata and the Hope Brothers Hardware Store. Elijah Minnix opened the first hotel in 1889.
William Westering and G.H. VanAntwerp erected the first brick store building in 1900. The Holstein Mercantile Company occupied the building which cost about $4,000. The building was destroyed by fire in December, 1927. A brick building was rebuilt on the site about 1929. Miller Grocery and Locker were located in the building form 1945 until 1971.
The first grain elevator was built in 1888 by C.J. Furer. During the 1890's there were as many as three grain elevators in Holstein. Farmers Union Cooperative Association of Holstein was organized in 1919. A concrete elevator was erected in 1958 and in 1967 Juniata Farmers Cooperative Association purchased the assets of the Holstein Co-op.
A flour mill was established about 1890 by Schelhemer and Clark but it did not operate long. A second mill, which stood about 200 yards west of the railroad station, was begun about the same time by Nicholas Metzer. It was a steam roller mill with a capacity of forty bushels of flour per day. The mill closed in 1894 and the plant was moved to Alma, Nebraska.
Several weekly newspapers have been printed for Holstein area subscribes. The HOLSTEIN RECORD was founded in 1889 by W. S. McCauley and discounted in 1890. The HOLSTEIN NONPAREIL was founded in 1890 and discontinued in 1893. The ADAMS COUNTY INDEPENDENT was printed in Holstein during 1897. The HOLSTEIN WEEKLY EXPOSITOR was issued briefly in 1900. The HOLSTEIN HERALD was begun in May, 1916. The HOLSTEIN REPORTER was printed in 1924 and 1925.
The date the Holstein State Bank first opened is not known. It was in operation in 1890 with A. G. and J. F. McAuley as proprietors. In 1895 the bank's capital was listed as $10,000. The bank closed in 1897. The Farmers and Merchants Bank with M. A. Hargleroad as president, was in operation in 1890, but operated only a short time. William Madget opened a bank at Holstein in 1899 which lasted only a few months.
The First State Bank of Holstein was established in 1902 with A. L. Clarke was president and W. B. Hargleroad as cashier. A brick bank building was erected in 1914. The bank continued operation until 1931 then the Depression caused its failure. No bank has operated in Holstein since 1931. Fred Hageman used the brick bank building as a hardware store for a time. The building remains in almost original condition.
Holstein realized its largest population--323--in 1910. In 1967 the Farmer's Union elevator merged with the Juniata Co-op. The railraod abandoned Holstein's track in 1985, but it has the largest surviving village lumberyard in Adams County, Square Deal Lumber and Hardware.
ERDMANN & HAMEN'S
Hastings City and Adams County Directory, 1895
Alphabetical list of Holstein residents
A thrifty little village located in the south-west part of the county, twenty-two miles south-west of Hastings on the Kansas City and Omaha branch of the St. Joe and Grand Island Railroad. Two schools, one bank, two grain elevators, a Modern Woodmen lodge and money order post office. W. T. Carson postmaster. Population 250.
Bradshaw, Thomas M dray
Bradshaw, Elizabeth Mrs
Brass band leader, Jos Vetter
Brown, Darius flour and feed, justice of the peace
Brown, Elizabeth Mrs
Brown, Rosa Miss
Brown, Sarah I Miss
Brown, Wm S
Carson, Wm T postmaster, physician and druggist
Cooley, J. H. & Co. lumber and coal
Denton, E. C. & Mrs. teacher
Ellsworth, L. S. drugs
Ellsworth, L. J. Mrs
Fisher, John carpenter
Fisher, Mary Mrs
Gentert, Maggie Mrs
Gentert, Katie Mrs
Gentert, Elizabeth Mrs
Halsey, Bryon painter
Hargleroad Bros stock and grain
Hargleroad, C. P.
Hargleroad, Mary Mrs
Hargleroad, W. B.
Hargleroad, Maggie Mrs
Hargleroad, M. A. hardware and harness
Hargleroad, Sadie Mrs
Harms, John agricultural implements
Harms, Sophia Mrs
Helms, Lizzie Mrs
Hershey, S. S. blacksmith
Hershey, Clara Mrs
Holdeman, J. pastor, United Brethren
Holstein State Bank capital $10,000
Johnson, Carolina Mrs
Kitts, Andy boarding
Kitts, Arlee, Mrs
King, C. L. blacksmith
Klein, Matt saloon
Klein, Katie Mrs
Larson, Virginia C teacher
Latta, E. L. physician
McAuley, Wm S casher, Holstein bank
McAuley, Maud Mrs
Maxwell, Geo W insurance
Metzer, Paulina Mrs
Metzer, Hattie Miss
Mills, L. L.
Mills, Hannah Mrs
Mills, Jennie Miss
Minnix, Hugh C
Minnix, Cathaine Mrs
Minnix, W. H. stock dealer
Minnix, Mary Mrs
Monroe, Alex barber and confectioner
Monroe, A. L. Mrs
Mullady, Thos general merchandise
Mullady, Carrie F Mrs
Schellenberger, Louis general merchandise
Schellenberger, Maggie Mrs
Sell, Henry section hand (railroad)
Sell, Catherine Mrs
Sell, Mary Miss
Sutherland, C. O.
Trier, Henry livery
Trier, Elizabeth Mrs
Trier, Emma L. Miss
VanVeghton, F. C. furniture
VanVeghton, Jennie A Mrs
VanVeghton, Carrie A Miss
Welsh, L. M. asst. P M
Welsh, Wm station agent
Welsh, Nellie Mrs
Welsh, W. E. asst. cashier, Holstein Bank
ADAMS COUNTY DIRECTORY 1925-26
Published by Wolfe and Pickering, Kenesaw, Nebraska
Alphabetical List of Holstein Residents
Agee, Austin, Salesman, wife Cleo, Arlene Dell 8, Erma Lucile 5, Lee 10.
Blauch, E. W. Oil Truck Driver, wife Anna.
Bohlke, H F, Farmer, wife Mollie, Mildred 13.
Christensen, Christ, Mgr Opera House, wife Minnie, Leona, Lila 14, Clarence, Leonard 16, Julius 14.
Christensen, Vinita, School Teacher.
Churchill, George, Laborer, wife Maggie, Earl 17
Clark, J A Implement Dealer, wife Della, Margie 16, Glen 10.
Clark, L E Farmer, wife Della R.
Collins, W D, Cafe and Soft Drinks, wife Mary, John 15, Vasta 16, Mary, niece 18.
Dickersen, F E, Druggist, wife Gertrude, Roberta 5, Dorothy 4, Earl 3, Richard 1.
Dutton, Mrs. Sylvia, widow, Housekeeper.
Eich, John, Laborer, wife Lily, Minnie 17, Wilma, 16, Anna 14, Norma 10.
Eigenberg, H T, Stock Buyer, wife Sylvia, Faye 13, Thelma 5, Vern 9, Dale 6, Russel 2.
Essinger, J W, President, Essinger Garage & Oil Company, single.
Fernow, A B Retired, wife Josafena, Hazel 17.
Fisher, John, Retired, wife Mary.
Gentert, Casper, Retired Farmer, wife Florence
Gentert, Conrad, Retired, wife Katherine, Lovina, Addie, Viola Wagner 10, Hebert Wagner 11.
Giese, Jacob, Retired, wife Margaret
Golgart, Mrs Caroline, widow.
Granstrom, Gus, Farmer, wife Edith, Bernard 7.
Grueber, Rev, L C C, Pastor Lutheran Church, wife Martha, LaVern 3, Rhoda l.
Hagemann, F C, Contractor and Builder, wife Adah.
Halbmaier, John, Laborer, wife Pauline.
Hansen, George, Salesman, wife Essie, June 3.
Hansen, Henry, Retired, wife Orgenia.
Hansen, Peter, Retired, wife Mary.
Hardin, H L, single, Manager Silvey Lumber Company
Hargleroad, Mrs. Phoebe, widow, Beulah 13, Ted l7.
Hargleroad, W B, Jr. Cashier First State Bank, wife Anna, William 11, Beverly A 8.
Hargleroad, W B Sr, County Commissioner, wife Maggie, Grace 16, Ralph 14
Harrington, Cecil, Laborer, wife Neola.
Hendricksen, Robert, Barber Shop, wife Cecelia Gerene 3, Eilene 3 weeks.
Hershey, S S, Machine Shop and Garage, wife Mary.
Huckfeldt, Joseph Sr, Retired Farmer, wife Mary.
Hupf, Henry, Carpenter, wife Elsie, Paul 3, Ritta Ann 7 mos.
Hupf, John Jr, Carpenter, wife Elizabeth, Lucile 3.
Johnson, Harry, Principal of Schools, single.
Johnson, Peter, Janitor, Holstein Schools, wife Sena.
Joynt, C B .
Joynt, F S. Retired Farmer, wife Laura.
Joynt, L F.
Kennedy, Henry, Hotel, wife Jane.
Kennedy, James, Salesman, wife Vivian.
Kitts, A J, Laborer, wife Arrelee.
Kramer, O N Section Foreman, wife Catherine, Norma 1, Asa 15, Walter, Ira 6, Lyle 3.
Kunselman, E H Salesman, wife, Ruth.
Kunselman, J L, C B & Q Agent, wife Marvel, James 8.
Laird, L D, General Merchandise, wife Telena, Don 7, Lola 4.
Lukow, Frank, Rural Mail Carrier, Bertha, Laura, daughters, Hulda Einspahr 13, Magdalena Einspahr 7, nieces, Amandus Einspahr 6, nephew.
McCoy, W A Hardware Dealer, wife Ethel, Ruby 8, Claude 6, Dale 2.
Mains, John, Engineer, wife Clara, Marvin 3 mos.
Manske, Miss Bertha.
Maxwell, John, Decorator, wife Anna, grand children, Yetive 10, Loraine Whipple 7.
Monroe, J A. Dairy Farmer, wife Betty, Harold Giese 18.
Neal, G O Meat Market, wife Reba, Alta 12, Alvin 11, Alfred 10, Alma 8, Genevieve 5, Selma 4.
Nelson, Arthur, Superintendent, of Schools, single.
Nelson, Romain, Salesman, wife Nora.
Nelson, Walt, Manager, Farmers Union Co-Op Association, wife Cora, Lee 7, Walt Jr. 3.
Oelschlager, A R, Asst-Cashier First State Bank, wife Alma, Lois 4.
Offer, Miss Hilda, Saleslady.
Osgood, R G , Soft Drink Parlor, wife Dora, Pauline 13, Evelyn 11, Lawrence 8, Betty 3.
Petersen, A P Farmer, wife Emma.
Petersen, Harry, Barber, Single.
Peterson, Clara, Housekeeper.
Peterson, Lars, Thresherman.
Peterson, S W Retired Farmer.
Reichert, Karl, Retired Farmer, wife Mary, Lena, Bernice 13, Karl, William 17, Walter 15.
Rumbaugh, Rev C H, Pastor Evangelical Church, wife Alta, Paul 2, Jean Lucile 1.
Sahling, Jacob, Clerk.
Saunders, L E, Manager Nebr-Iowa Grain Company, wife Nettie
Saunders, Miss Myrtle
Sipke, Leon, Truck Driver.
Van Veghten, Furniture and Undertaking, wife Carrie
Wagner, D. W. Painter and Decorator.
Wagner, Fred, Secretary Essinger Garage, wife Rose, Irene 7, Harold 4.
Wagner, Mrs. Minnie, George 14.
Wagner, Miss Emly, School Teacher.
Wolcott, Blanche, School Teacher.
Wolcott, Mrs. Eliza, widow.
Zubrod, Jake, Drayman, wife Rosa, Leona 11, Leonard 9, Billy 7.