Kenesaw, like many other towns in Nebraska, was laid out by
the railroad, in this case the Burlington. Harvard, Inland, and Juniata were part of the
Burlington alphabetical naming system. The next town on the line was Kenesaw, named after
the Civil War battle of Kennesaw Mountain, Georgia. The town site was located June 9, 1871
by S. P. Howland, Milton F Brown, Charles Colt and J. D . Butler, Jr. who preempted the
four quarters of section 34, and later sold their claims to the South Platte Land Company
a subsidiary of the railroad.
Mr. Howland later reminisced "I sent teams to Grand Island
for lumber to build a shack and it was built that month, June. The first five nights I
spent upon the site of Kenesaw, it rained every night and I slept under an inverted wagon
box. Our drinking water at first had to be hauled from Lowell, ten miles to the west, but
a well was bored about the third day after we arrived. Antelopes and coyotes used to come
close to our cabins and we could shoot them from our doors. That fall, two families came
to live near our houses,"
In June, 1872 when the Burlington railroad built through town,
Kenesaw was surveyed. The avenues were named for members of the South Platte Land Company.
The streets were named for trees.
A.D. Williams, the first permanent settler, arrived in August,
1872 in a covered wagon. For the first three weeks his family lived in the wagon box on
the prairie, setting their cook stove outside. Their first visitors were Pawnee Indians
returning from a hunt on the Republican.
Mr. Williams was a preacher, teacher, and newspaper
editor. His wife was also educated and the two filled a large place in the life
of Kenesaw for the first two decades. He became Kenesaws first postmaster
in December, 1872 with his sister, Mrs. Norton, a woman homesteader, as deputy.
He started the Kenesaw Times in 1875 and helped establish the Freewill
Baptist church. AD Williams died in Kenesaw in 1894.
Josiah Hodges opened the first general merchandise store in
August, 1873. That winter his child, Jessie died, the first known death in Kenesaw. He
soon left Kenesaw but others followed and soon a grocery, hardware, blacksmith and general
store were in operation.
Kenesaw was incorporated in 1884. By that time the businesses
included the Metropolitan Hotel, Kenesaw Times newspaper, Kenesaw Exchange Bank, as
well as grain dealers, lumber yard, drug store, general merchandise stores, hardware and
implement dealers, livery, furniture store, grocery store, meat market, barber shop,
millinery, blacksmith, laundry, restaurant, and billiard hall. J. Williams was the
The first bank in town, the Bank of Kenesaw, was established by
E.P. Gillette about 1883 and closed by 1894, a casualty of the 1893 depression. The
Exchange Bank was established by 1884 and First State Bank was incorporated in 1908. The
banks merged in 1929 and First State Bank closed in 1933. Adams County Bank opened in 1934
after the merger of the Juniata and Prosser banks and has been a major factor in the
growth of Kenesaw.
The Cottage Hotel was erected in 1887 on North Depot Street
across from the Burlington depot. It was razed in the 1971 and the site is now Kenesaw
Motor Companys parking lot.
The first brick building was erected in Kenesaw in 1902 by F.S.
Cary at the corner of Smith Avenue and North Railroad Street. The building was demolished
in 1992 to make way for the Kenesaw Korner Convenience Store. Bricks from this building
were used in the Kenesaw Welcome signs.
Kenesaw Telephone Company was organized in 1904. In 1916 the
monthly rate was $1.25 with free service to Juniata, Prosser, Heartwell and Holstein. Dial
equipment was installed in 1957. After the modernization party line customers heard only
their own ring. The company was sold to the Lincoln Telephone and Telegraph Company in
Kenesaw Opera House was erected in 1910 and destroyed by fire
in 1912. It was not rebuilt. An electric light plant was erected in 1910 and a municipal
waterworks in 1911.
J.M. Sewell built an elevator south of the depot along the
railroad tracks in 1884. That elevator was purchased by the newly incorporated Kenesaw
Mill and Elevator Company in 1916. Turner Grain later operated an elevator at the site
which was torn down in 1993. F.S. Cary operated a grain elevator west of Sewells
elevator on the south side of the tracks. It was later owned by Frank Real and burned in
1928. Kermit Huyck moved an elevator from Prosser to this site about 1950. It was torn
down in 1973 and a steel one which still stands built on the spot. Whitely Milling Company
was incorporated in 1916 and erected a large flour mill south of the tracks at the corner
of Forbes and South Depot street. The mill was gutted by fire in 1919. Kenesaw Elevator
marketed flour under the name Primrose. Whitely mill milled and sold Meadow Gold flour.
In 1928 the two story Burlington railroad depot which dated
from 1884 was replaced by a one story depot building which was demolished in 1982.
The years 1915 to 1930 were probably Kenesaws most
prosperous. All necessities and many luxuries could be purchased in Kenesaw. Two banks,
two drugstores, two doctors, a small hospital, two hotels, weekly newspaper, and numerous
businesses of every kind were in operation. Four passenger trains daily, plus several
freight trains stopped at the depot.
Kenesaw, along with the rest of the country struggled through
the drought, dust storms and depression of the 1930s. Federal relief projects built the
city auditorium and the sewer system. As with all small towns it was the automobile that
contributed to Kenesaws decline as a commercial center. But ironically it is an auto
dealership, Kenesaw Motor Company, which is the oldest business in town having been
established in 1921 by Walter Denkert.
The 1940s were the years of the war effort. Rationing, and much
of the workforce in the service resulted in few changes. Kenesaw streets were graded in
the late 1940s.
Main street was paved in 1955 and 1956. Kenesaw Oil company
rebuilt its service station following a fire in 1955 and Turner grain built steel grain
bins in the 1950s. In 1959 the American Legion established a youth center in their
The two biggest news items of the 1960s were the construction
of Haven Home in 1965 and the big flood of 1967. About 1960 Dr. Mastin, the last resident
doctor, moved to Hastings. A clinic was operated for a few years by doctors from Hastings.
Jackson Funeral Home moved into the clinic building in 1966. Cuprem Inc. was established
in 1965 and Turner Grain built a fertilizer plant in 1968.
Kenesaw enjoyed a building boom during the 1970s. The swimming
pool was built in 1971 and Kenesaw Motors new building in 1973. A dike at the north edge
of town to hold back future floods and many new homes were built during the decade.
The towns population remained about 800 during the 1980s
and 1990s. The lumber yard closed in 1987. Numark which produces control systems opened in
1991. Kenesaw Senior Center and Kenesaw Korner were constructed in 1992. Heartland Co-op
began operating the fertilizer facility and Scoular elevator was demolished in 1993.
Renewed Resources which makes pallets and wood chips opened in 1993. Kenesaw welcome signs
and a new water tower were erected in 1995. H&N Mobil the only full service gas
station closed in January, 1997.
School District 3, Kenesaw, was formed in January, 1872. In
early 1873 there were 27 children, but no school due to controversy about the site, north
or south of the railroad. The north won and the first school opened in December, 1873 with
V.W. Miller as teacher. A two story frame building was erected in 1874 which, with a north
extension added in 1887, served until 1912 when a brick building was erected. These
buildings both stood where the Haven Home is currently located. The first high school
class, composed of three members, graduated in 1892 from the tenth grade.
From 1912 until 1950 a course of normal training was taught in
the Kenesaw High School. A third grade elementary certificate could be obtained by
completing the course and passing the state exam. The certificate allowed a high school
graduate to teach in a one room single teacher school. Over the years approximately 200
Kenesaw High School students completed the course.
During the 1950s several rural districts consolidated with
Kenesaw forming district 3R. In November, 1960 Kenesaw voters approved a $405,000 bond
issue and the current building was constructed at the east edge of town. Three additions
have been made to the building, the most recent in 1996.
Over the last 125 years eight religious congregations have been
organized in Kenesaw. Four of them, the United Methodist, Sacred Heart Catholic, St.
Pauls Lutheran and First Presbyterian are still active.
Until 1883 all religious denominations worshipped in the school
house. The Methodists, first to organize a congregation, were served by Juniatas
pastor until 1884 when J.G. Walker became their first resident pastor. In 1892 a Methodist
church was erected, it burned in 1894 and was rebuilt immediately. The building was
extensively remodeled in 1951 and a new parsonage built in 1962. In 1969 the church became
one of a three charge parish with Heartwell and Holstein.
An Evangelical congregation was organized in Kenesaw in 1878
but built the Shiloh Evangelical Church south of Kenesaw in 1884. The church closed and in
1923 the building was sold to the Holstein Lutheran congregation A small cemetery is
located at the site. All records of the church are lost.
First Presbyterian Church of Kenesaw was organized in 1879 and
built a church late in 1884. A basement was added in 1927 and the building remodeled in
The first church building in Kenesaw was built in 1884
by the Freewill Baptists who had organized in 1883. AD Williams was the first
St. Pauls Lutheran Church was organized in 1904 and a
frame building was erected that same year west of Forbes Avenue. In 1906 Rev. Niermann
became the first resident pastor. A parochial school was opened in 1906 and continued
until 1968. The current brick church was constructed in 1917.
The Christian Church was organized in 1909 and worshipped in
the First State Bank building until a church was erected in 1912. Services were
discontinued in 1916 and resumed briefly in the late 1920s. Later the building was used
for school banquets and Baccalaureate services. In 1945 the building was razed and the
site sold to the Nazarene congregation. Bricks from the building were used in the
construction of the Christian Church in Minden.
The Nazarene Church was organized in May, 1911 with 31 members.
By November a church had been built on South Doane Avenue. In 1946 the building was moved
to the Christian Church site and a basement added. A new parsonage was built in 1949. The
church closed in 1984.
Sacred Heart Catholic Church was dedicated in June, 1909. The
congregation is still active with about 15 families, but has never had a resident priest.
As soon as the settlers had homes built and land broken they
began to organize social activities. The earliest gatherings were in homes, store
buildings, school houses and churches. The first women suffrage group in Adams County was
organized in Kenesaw in 1882 by Mrs. M.A. Brass. It was active until 1920. A Grand Army of
the Republic (GAR) lodge was organized in 1883. Known as Mathias Post, its members were
union veterans of the Civil War. Masonic Lodge No 144 was organized in 1885. In 1942,
Juniata Lodge No 42 merged with it. After the flood of 1967 which ruined the lodge hall it
merged with Hastings Masonic Lodge. Other early lodges included A.O.U.W., Degree of Honor,
Womens Christian Temperance Union, Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias, M.W.A., and
Kenesaw Federated Womens Club was organized in 1954. One
of their major projects was the purchase of the Susan Hail grave site, along the Oregon
Trail, and the erection of a historical marker near the site.
The American Legion Post was organized in 1946 with 32 members.
J.O. Budd was the first commander. The post sponsors Boy Scouts and baseball programs.
The Lions Club disbanded in 1968 and its members formed the
Kenesaw Community Club. The community club recently sponsored the erection of Welcome
signs at Kenesaws entrances.
Kenesaw has had its share of disasters. Fires in 1907, 1911,
and 1916 destroyed many business buildings. But the most devastating disasters have been
floods. 1873, 1901, and 1912 were flood years, but the biggest flood was June 13, 1967. 23
inches of rain in two weeks resulted in three feet of water over most of the town. The
city water supply was contaminated and many residents were forced from their homes. The
National Guard and the Red Cross set up emergency operations in the high school. People
from all the surrounding communities helped in the clean up. Many community records
were lost when the bank basement where they were stored filled with water.
From the four pre-emptors dwellings built in 1871,
Kenesaw has grown to 335 residences in 1997. Unlike many small towns Kenesaw
has enjoyed a stable population which is about 820 today. Kenesaw is the only
village in Adams County with its own high school. It also boasts a nursing home,
swimming pool, senior center, auto dealership, bank, and many other shops and
services not available in small towns.
Erdmann & Hamen's
Hastings City and Adams County Directory,
Alphabetical list of Kenesaw residents
Kenesaw is in the north-west corner of Adams County, fourteen miles west from
Hastings on the B & M RR. The town has a population of about 600. It has
one bank, two elevators, an excellant shcool, three churches, Presbyterian,
Methodist and Freewill Baptist, and a newspaper the Kenesaw Citizen, one hotel,
one public hall.
Adams Express Company, J. G. Gessling agt.
Armitage A. A. insurance, Mrs. Orfie, Mrs. Chloe, Herbert P., Fred, Bert E., Miss
Armitage Benjamin F. real;estate, Mrs. Dora S.
Baker Charles U, carpenter, Mrs. Jessie
Benninger A. W. jeweler, Mrs. I. V. milliner
Boley Luther A, Mrs. Kate J.
Boyd Robt J principal high school
Branson Thos C, hardware, Mrs. Florence.
Brookley & Co. Drugs
Bunton Geo W., Mrs. Alice, Charles, Reuben, Chester
Burlington & Missouri RR, Frank Stephens, agt.
Cain Sarah, Katherine
Cary F. S., general merchandise,Mrs. Tena
Collins E. G. , Mrs. Mary V.
Colony Frank A, pastor Methodist Church,Mrs. E.E.
Commercial Hotel, D. F. Nicholas, prop.
Cook John B. Mrs Eva, Mrs. Sarah
Cooley Mrs. H. D.
Coplin H. R.
Coulter Robert, Mrs. Louisa,
Courtright Charles D, livery, Mrs. Jennie
Crane Ely N., Mrs. Ella V.
Currier Lewis, Mrs. Annie
Daily H. B. carpenter, Mrs. Annie, John, Joseph, Miss Alice, teacher, Miss Emma,
Danielson Axel, section foreman B&M RR, Mrs. Mary
Dean Charles, Mrs. Katie
Donaldson Wm, Mrs. Eva
Einspahr Herman D, post master,
Elliott Miss Laura, teacher
Felzien Ernest A, Mrs. Anna
Findley M. R. Mrs, carpet weaver
Finley Jane Mrs.
Fox Wm, section foreman, B&M RR, Mrs Mary
Garrett Samuel, Mrs. Priscilla
Garske Martin, Mrs. Tillie
Gressling G. J., Mrs. Lucy T.
Gibson Mrs. Jessie
Graham John, night operator
Harpham Bert, blacksmith, Joseph, Mrs. Emma
Hartwell John, Mrs. Mary A.
Hensley Mordecai W., Mrs. Madison N., M. W. Jr.
Hill George, Mrs. Sarah, Miss Maud
Hines W. B. photographer
Hisom W. C. veteinary surgeon
Hoffman Henry, carpenter, Mrs Ella
Hodges Luther P, Mrs Mary Isabel, Carlton W, paper hanger, Mrs Abbie L, George
Hotchkiss Spencer, Mrs. Margaret
Howard & Co. Mrs. Cora D Howard, general merchandise
Howard A. S., mgr. Howard & Co.
Huckfeldt Mrs. Henrietta
Jaco Nelson, clk Howard & Co., Mrs Sarah M, Miss Donna
Kane Miss Sarah
Kenesaw Citizen, S. H. Smith prop
Kenesaw Exchange Bank, Norton & Hatch prop
Kenesaw Lumber Co. Norton & Rose prop
Kent James M, drayman, Mrs Henrietta, Miss Estella, Miss Hazel
Kidd C. A., Mrs Alberta
Kriebel Samiel, Mrs Anna
Latta W. E. general merchandise, Mrs. Sarah
Lininger & Metcalf agricultural implements
McDonald D.D. clk M. F. White
McFerren Charles, Mrs Belle, Wm, drayman, Mrs Emma
McKinney Barnard, Mrs Margaret
Martin H.L. pump man, Mrs Emma, Charles, Miss Lulu,
Matlick Isaac A, Mrs Mary E, Miss Ollie
Mavis Julius, hay and feed, Mrs Bertha
Mecham A. T., Mrs Lucy
Miller Fred, shoemaker, Mrs Caroline
Moore E B & Co. furniture
Moore Eugene B., Mrs Martha, Frank D, Fred E, Mrs Lucille, Miss Pearl M.
Nelson John, well digger and pump repair, Mrs Emma
Nicholas Daniel F prop Commercial Hotel, Mrs Fannie J, David W, Mrs Elizabeth
Norton Henry E, Kenesaw Exchange Bank, Mrs Laura G,
Norton Delmer D, Kenesaw Lumber Co., Mrs Margaret
Oliver Chas, Mrs Ella
Parmenter Lancaster W, John,
Partridge Luther B, Mrs Lucy
Picard Fred, clk brookley & Co
Plummer John, Rev minister Ev. Association
Poore Miss Cora A
Powell Clarence A, stock buyer, Mrs Jennie, Miss Ethel, Earl M
Ragsdale J S & Son drugs
Ragsdale Elmer E, Mrs Alice E
Redman Herman A, mgr Linninger & Metcalf, Mrs. Bertha
Roberts B. L., Mrs Jeanette, H. O., Mrs Lucinda, Dewey J, Mrs Elizabeth, Orville,
Miss Ida, Mrs. Fannie J, C. B., Miss Azalia E
Rose Wallace E, Mrs Hulda B, Miss Jessie E
Rose H. E. Kenesaw Lumber Co.
Ruby Grant, section foreman, B & M RR, Mrs. Elizabeth
Russell H M, clk, Mrs May
Schertinger G. H., Mrs Augusta, Henry, Otto
Schlegel B. F. Hardware, Mrs Rose
Schlegel Charles G, Miss Sadie
Schultz Stephen, blacksmith, Mrs. Johanna, Ezra,
Schunk Nicholas, bakery & restaurant, Mrs Mary, Miss Lizzie, Miss Lena
Schwab Conrad, Rev, Mrs Sarah
Scott Winfield, Allen, Leo, James, Hugh G
Sewell J. M. Grain Co.
Shick Henry, Mrs Martha, Miss Mamie, Miss Lottie, Sidney
Smith S. H. attorney, editor Citizen, Mrs Edna, Miss Margaret
Stephens Frank, agt at B&M depot
Stirley George, blacksmith, Mrs Isabel
Tibbals Mrs M. R.
Thompson E. T. printer
Trueman Fred, clk Cook's Fair Store
Weaver Mrs. Catherine
Wenner Michael, harness maker, Mrs Nora, Miss Minta, Fred, Edwin
White R. J. mgr White's general merchandise, Mrs. M. F.
Whitesell Nellie E, Mrs, Mrs Susan, Geo. F, barber
Williams Josephus, physician, Mrs Melcena
Willismson Ernest A, Emma C
Willis John, clk Schunk's bakery
Wolcott Arthur, barber, Mrs Elizabeth
Wolcott George W, butcher, Mrs Celestia E
Wood Russell O, blacksmith, Mrs Jennie, L.V. retired farmer, Mrs Pluma, Claude
Wright Orlando H, Mrs Pauline
ADAMS COUNTY DIRECTORY 1925-26
Adamson, George, laborer; wife Rachel; Marie 2, Harold 8, George 4.
Allison, Mrs. Sarah M, widow.
Almquist, Joseph, single, laborer.
Alshouse, E. L., station agent; wife, Grace.
Anderson, C. J., manager Cottage Hotel; wife Anna; Elsie 17, Helen 14,
Andrews, Newt, laborer.
Armitage,& Fred, postmaster; wife Nellie; Claudia 15, Marjorie 13,
Deloris 1, Fred Jr. 8, Gerald 4, Pauline, housework, Dorothy assistant in postoffice.
Aufdenkamp, Carl, farmer; wife Christine; Arthur 7, Victor 1.
Augustine, Henry Sr. retired farmer; widower, Emma, housekeeper.
Bamberg, retired farmer; wife, Hilda.
Barnes, M. G. carpenter, widower.
Bate, William, superintendent of school; wife Vera, teacher; Jeanne 5.
Baugh, W. J. retired farmer; wife Martha; Eldora, dressmaker.
Beal, Richard, plumber; wife Ella; Opal 18, Vera 11, Fern 6, Vernon 17,
Beck, Mrs. Addie M., resides with Rev. N E Wood.
Bennett, R. G. traveling salesman; wife Maud manager Kenesaw Mercantile.
Berg, L. J., real estate and insurance; wife Olga; Edward 11, Ervin 7.
Bittfield, Christ, retired farmer; wife Minnie.
Bittfield, Fred, realestate and insurance, single.
Block, Alice, widow; Margaret 13, Bernadine 9, Berdena 9, Harvey 17, Bruce
farmer, Thomas laborer.
Bockstadter, E. H., carpenter, wife Mina.
Bockstadter, J. H., carpenter, manufacturer Diamond Hoe.
Bohlke, Henry laborer; wife Phillipina.
Branson, Mrs. T. C., widow; Florence at home.
Brower, C. H., laborer; wife Sophia; Lydia domestic, Louise domestic, Edwin
Brown, O. T., rural mail carrier, wife Margaret; Gerald 8, Uretta 7.
Buffington, William, section hand, wife Mary.
Cain, John, farmer, single.
Cain, Miss Julia, Miss Kate.
Cain, T. F., owner pool hall, wife Lillie.
Cameron, Charles, painter; wife Amy; Marguerite, school teacher at
Cauffman, Mrs. Laura, widow.
Chapman, Mrs. Myrtle, boarding house; Elizabeth 17, Fern 11.
Clark, J. L., retired farmer; wife Caroline.
Cox, J. L. carpenter; wife Mary; Iota 14, Iva student, Clyde college student,
Carl college student, Harold carpenter.
Cruse, Joseph, manager Kenesaw Motor Company; wife Ida; Garnet 8, Lois
Cullen, R. A., laborer; wife Mary operates cream station; Velma 15, Robert
Cullip, C. W., retired; wife Nellie, Mable 16, Beulah 11, Lyle section
Cullip, W. A. clerk Davis & Daughter; wife Lulu; Clarence 3.
Cunningham, Glen, farmer; wife Mayme, Rhean, 5, Byron 2.
Daily, Miss Emma.
Davis, W. F., furniture dealer; wife Jessie; Lorena, partner with father.
Denkert, Walter, auto mechanic, single.
Diehl, M., retired, widower.
Donaly, H. M., barber; wife Della, seamstress.
Dorsey, Mrs. Milton, retired nurse.
Drake, Mrs. W. C., cook cafe, widow; Goldie 19, student.
Duncan, C. S., hardware store; wife Nora, Charles 14, John R Duncan, father.
Dykeman, O. L., painter; wife Alma, Arthur 5, Norval 3, Clifford 1.
Edmondson, Mrs. Elizabeth, widow.
Eigbrett, John, retired farmer, widower.
Einspahr, Ed, section hand; wife Annie; Pauline 4, Melvin 17, Alfred 14,
Everett 9, Dorothy, housework.
Enevoldsen, Anders, blacksmith; wife Eva, Fern 6, Gilbert 16.
Ellis, John, retired farmer, widower.
Equall, Charles D., horse dealer, wife Lavada.
Erickson, Pete, section laborer; Petrine, telephone operator.
Ernst, Charles, retired; wife Emma.
Ernst, Otto, miller; Margaret, housekeeper.
Ernst, Wilfred, Asst. cashier First State Bank; wife Eleanor.
Ernst, Will, manager elevator; wife Minnie; Alberta Blue, niece 13, Viola,
Essinger, L. D., auto salesman; wife Cynthia.
Fischer, Dan, farmer; wife Anna; Viola 12, Laura 4, Emil 17, Leonard 14,
Fischer, Scott, manager blacksmith shop; wife Anna; Edwin 12.
Fletcher, L. B. section foreman, widower; Pearl 13, Agnes 11, Earl 10,
Clifford 7, Howard 5.
Flohr, Ernest, undetaker; wife Elizabeth.
Fricke, Godfrey, retired farmer; wife Auguste.
Fulmer, R. A., assist. depot agent; wife Myrtle.
Gangwish, Carl, assistant Kenesaw Mill; single.
Garrett, Mrs. Bessie, seamstress, widow.
Gasaway, Mrs. Rebecca, housekeeper, widow.
Gearhart, Charles, iceman, wife Ethel, teacher.
Gearhart, John, iceman; wife Almeda, Nadine 16.
Golle, Henry laborer, single.
Graham, E. D., retired farmer; wife Mary; Carrie 18, Mary 16, Coge 9, Albert.
Groff, John, blacksmith; wife Alma; Dorothy 7, Ruth 4.
Groff, P. S., blacksmith; wife Anna; Fracis housework, Bernice telephone
Guilkey, E. E., telephone lineman, wife Garnet; Margaretta 3.
Harpham, Bert, blacksmith; wife Jessie.
Harpham, Joe, laborer, widower; Joe Jr laborer, Francis laborer.
Harpham, Samuel E., farmer and broom mfgr; wife Maud; Clynn 16, Virgil
13, Wesley 4.
Hartwig, Dr C. H., dentist; wife Lulu; Jeanette 4, Doris 3, Maurice 1.
Haws, W. G., garage owner; wife Maud; Clifford partner with father.
Hazelbarth, Herman, retired farmer; wife Mary.
Hengstenberg, F. W., operates truck; wife Anna; Alma 12.
Hetzler, Marion, laborer.
Hilsabeck, B. J. lumber man; wife Lydia; Robert 9.
Hines, Harry, section laborer; wife Mary; Pearl 3.
Hines, Pearl clerk Larsen's Store, Doris 9.
Hines, Mrs. Siotha.
Published by Wolfe and Pickering, Kenesaw, Nebraska
Alphabetical List of Kenesaw Residents
Hines, Dr. W. C. veterinarian, wife Una, Billy Jr. 5
Holl, Henry, retired; wife Anna, Alma.
Holl, Julius, retired farmer, wife Anna, Julius Jr 13.
Holl, William, plumber; wife Grace, milliner; Jennie 4, Howard 13, Harley
11, Helen, housework.
Hollenbeck, Harry auto mechanic; wife Leta; Ida 3, Harry Jr 4.
Hollenbeck, Lyle auto mechanic.
Hunter, W. N. tank painter, single.
Hupt, Carl auto salesman; single.
Hutchinson, Frank manager Kenesaw Implement; wife Ina; Violetta 13, Harriet
7, George 10.
Jackson, Mrs Fanny widow; Hazel 1.
Jaco, J. D. cashier First State Bank; wife Lenora, teacher.
Jakobitz, R. H. clerk Kelly's Store; wife Gertrude; Allen 3, Quentin 18
Jenkins, E. M. Schlueter Lumber Co.
Johnson, F.S. section laborer, single.
Jones, J. G. retired; wife Elva.
Jones, Mrs Mary widow; Lucy 17, Raymond 15.
Kammerlohr, Ralph R manager Kammerlohr Drug Co.
Kelley, E.L. merchant; wife Esther, Vera 9.
Kent, Mrs. J. M. widow.
Kidd, Chas F retired farmer; wife Cora; Thomas 15, Eva, teacher; Gladys
teacher; John A druggist; Charles H, assistant cashier Kenesaw State Bank.
Kluseman, Ernest laborer; wife Emelie, Ernstine 11.
Kluseman, William laborer, single.
Kueck, Lawrence laborer; wife Mae; Nioma 3, Ardis 2.
LaBaron, George retired, widower.
Lange, Fred, retired farmer; wife Barbara; Ida housework.
Larsen, H. G. merchant; wife Nellie; Pansy 12, Von 4, Paul, clerk.
Latta, W. E., retired farmer; wife Sarah.
Leopold, B. E. electrician; wife Pearl; Eldora 16, Violet 14, Marilyn 3,
Lloyd 11, Glen 8, LaVaughn 5.
Lockhart, C. B. village light plant; wife Selma.
Loomis, P. E., jeweler, wife Nellie.
Loomis, O. F. tailor; wife Mary.
McCue, Harry laborer; wife Mattie; Genevieve 8, Fay 10, Bernard 3.
McFerren, W. J. school janitor; wife Emma; Edna, housework, Chrystal, housework.
McKay, J. L., retired farmer; wife Ann M.
McNair, Mrs. Robert; Earl 17, Edna, teaching,
Mack, Bob clerk, Kammerlohr Drug; wife Esta; Robert 4, Howard 3.
Mack, Earl, transfer line, widower.
Mack, Mrs. Grace, widow; Mildred 10, Evelyn 7, Irene 4.
Mack, W. L. cream station; wife Mattie; William 10.
Mainey, Francis J., mason and plasterer; wife Lulu; Fracis 8.
Martin, John retired farmer; Walter, farmer.
Meddles, Dora; Nellie 18 mos, Virgil DeBord 10, William DeBord 9, Hershel
Mikesell, D. R. barber and clothier; wife Jessie; Dorraine 14, Thelma 13.
Mikesell, Mrs Martha, widow; Cleo.
Mikkelsen, Niels, pharmacist; wife Elvira; Maxe E., pharmacist.
Miller, Mrs C. W. widow; Fred 18, Alois 16.
Miller, Mrs Sarah Jane, widow.
Mills, Fred E; wife Ethel; Maxine7, Wesley 10.
Mills, James L drayman; wife Hazel; Neva 7, Frances 6, Bernard 5.
Mills, T. J.street commissioner; wife Martha; Albert, laborer.
Mills, Willard drayman; wife Iola; Dale 3, Cletus 18 mos.
Morris, J. W. tank painter & laborer; wife Flora; Bleva 12.
Munk, Julia telephone operator.
Munk, Ernest, barber.
Myers, W. E. section laborer; wife Mattie; Opal 17, Pauline 10, Eylin 4.
Norton, H. E. farmer; wife Laura; Virginia 4, Phillip 6, David l.
Nowers, Mrs. M. J. widow.
Nowers, Dr. Walter E. physician; wife Susie; Grace 12, Walter Jr 5.
Oliver, Charles retired; wife Belle.
Ouderkirk, J. W. pres. First State Bank; wife Rose; Naomi 5, Nolan 2.
Parker, Mrs. George W widow.
Peck, Claud clerk Kenesaw Mercantile.
Peck, Clairmont, student Hastings College.
Peterman, Henry retired; wife Theresa.
Pflughoeft, E. J. teacher parochial school; wife Alma; Judith 2.
Pflughoeft, John undertaker, single.
Phillips, Asa, engineer water plant; wife, Laura.
Phillips, Mrs Jane, widow; J. E.
Phillips, Paul laborer, Theodore, laborer.
Pickering, Howard B editor Kenesaw Prgoress; wife Clara, Bessie 16, Howard
Polenske, Wm Sr. retired farmer; wife Carolina.
Powell, C. A.employee Haws Garage; wife Jennie G.
Pritchard, C. R. section laborer; wife Vlema; Florence 8 mos. Wayne, brother,
Pritchard, Vernon mechanic; wife Beulah; Inez 4, Dorothy 1.
Prynne, Rev. Foster Methodist minister; wife Lucy; Margaret, Lucy 18,
Pulver, C. Orr, stock dealer; wife Genevieve, Maurice 14, Gale 8.
Pulver, Mrs Mary widow; Wash, Janet 13, Clive 12, grandchildren.
Ramelow, Rev. H. F. Lutheran pastor; wife Nellie; Ruth 10, Dolores 6.
Ramsey, Mrs. Alwilda, widow.
Ramsey, M. H., garageman; wife Ethel; Gladys 16, Myrtle 14, Ralph 12.
Redman, Otto, farmer; wife Mary; Amelia Redman, widow.
Redman, W. E., clerk Kenesaw Mercantile; wife Eda; Richard 18 mos.
Reif, Andrew, widower, Ella assists Cottage Hotel.
Robinson, L. M. manager Kenesaw Grain Co., widower.
Russell, H. M. retired, wife May.
Samsel, M. F. retired farmer; wife Etta.
C. F. retired mechanic; wife Louisa, Julius mechanic.
Scherbacher, Fred auto salesman; wife Doli.
Schlegel, Charles hardware merchant, wife Zona.
Schlueter, Raymond manager Schlueter Lumber; wife Kathryn; Margaret 3,
Caroline 2, Richard 8.
Schmidt, Mrs Minnie, widow.
Schmidt, Walter, Deep Rock Oil Co.
Schmidt, Reinold, owner Deep Rock Oil; wife Freda; Harold 4, Arthur 6 weeks.
Schultz, Walter, harness dealer; wife Myrtle
Schulz, Mrs. Augusta, widow.
Schick, Henry, retired farmer; wife Martha; Charlotte, teacher.
Stanley, Thomas, milkman; wife Alice.
Struss, Simon, retired farmer; wife Augusta.
Taylor, Miss Mable music teacher.
Templeton, J. L., real estate and insurance; wife Lettie; Ferne 15.
Thomas, Deder, section laborer; wife Lois; Richard 1.
Thomas, J. L., shoe repair shop; wife Anna; Marie 5, Elbert 12, Mrs. G.
W. Thomas, widow.
Thompson, J. W., laborer; wife Deborah; Florence 16, Vera, clerk.
Townley, Dr. F. N., physician; wife Lulu E; Robert 11, Frank 5.
Valkenaar, C. A., cafe owner; wife Edith; Edward C 16, Roland H 10,
Vollmer, Mrs. Ernestine, widow.
Weeks, E. D., manager telephone exchange; wife Ida Mae; Idaline 11, Collene
8, Craig 4, Samuel 2.
Wendt, Fred, farmer; wife Mary; Lora 13, Florence 8, Ernst 11.
Wendt, Louis, manager Service Garage; wife Edith; Ralph 6.
Wendling, John, retired farmer; wife Lena.
Wertz, Dr S. S., veterinarian, single.
Westing, S. A. pres. Kenesaw State Bank; wife Ida F; Alice student.
Westhal, Fred, laborer, widower.
Whitmore, Ella, housekeeper for Niels Mikkelsen.
Widener, Jess, carpenter, single.
Widener, John, carpenter; wife Marie; Rollard Partridge 16, Virgil Partridge
14, Curtis Partridge 12.
Wilson, T. L., pop corn stand; wife Jennie.
Winslow, Mrs Myrtle, widow.
Wolcott, Arthur M., carpenter; wife Elizabeth.
Wolcott, Mrs. Celestia, widow George.
Wolf, Otto W., printer; wife Dora; Maxine 4, Arthur 15
Wood, Rev N. E., Nazarene minister; wife Bessie.
Woodworth, M. E., carpenter; wife Hattie; Vera, student.
Wright, A. J., section foreman; wife Pearl; Junior 4, Donald 18 mos.
Wyne, N. J., teacher; wife Lucie, clerk drug store; Laberta 16, John 13.
Young, Mrs Abbie, widow, keeps rooming house.
Young, F. L., Kenesaw Implement; wife Betty; Jane 4, Ruth 8, Gertrude 14,
Howard 6, Ralph 11, Clifford 10,
Young, Mrs. Emma, widow of H. S.; Florence 12, Marie 10, Jeanette 8, Josephine
8, Thelma 4.
Young, John B., farmer; wife Lannie; Blanche teacher.
Ziebarth, Wilhelmina, widow.
Zinsmaster, Garrett, laborer, single.
Return to History Page
Return to the Adams County Main Page
Copyright © 2014 Adams County Historical Society. All rights reserved.