Adams County, Nebraska Schools

On December 16, 1871, just four days after Adams County was organized, School District 1, in Juniata, was formed. Thirty-eight districts had been organized by October, 1873. The last one-room district schoolhouse closed its doors in 1971. The Adams County Superintendent of Schools position was eliminated in 2000. The records of that office are now held by the County Clerk's office. A census of all school age children has been taken annually since 1876.  Microfilm of the years 1876 to 1926 is available at the Adams County Historical Society. If you wish to have the census searched, you must provide the school district number or the exact location of the family home. There is a fee for this service.  The Adams County Historical Society also has copies of the original school records for some districts, and photographs of all district school buildings.  Contact the society for record availability and search fees. 


District No. 1,  Juniata

Located in Juniata Village.  The first school district in Adams County was organized in December, 1871.  Juniata High School graduated its first class in 1891 and the last in 1967.  This district is still in operation with K-6th grades.    ACHS has some school records for the years 1908 to 1963 and a list of all high school graduates.


District No. 2,  Shumway School

Was located just west of Hastings in Section 10, Denver Township.   Discontinued in 1964.  


District No. 3, Kenesaw

Located in Kenesaw village; organized in 1872.  Still maintains a grade and high school. 


District No. 4, Kingston School

Was located Section 32, Hanover Township; organized in 1872, discontinued in 1954.  


District No. 5, Science Ridge School

Was located east of Roseland in Section 29, Ayr township, discontinued in 1956.  


District No. 6, Busch School

Was located west of Assumption in Section 8, Roseland Township.  Organized in 1873 named for John Busch, local settler. Discontinued in 1956. 


District No. 7, Union School

Was located south of Pauline in Section 20, Little Blue Township.  Organized in 1874, discontinued in 1959.


District No. 8, Pauline

Was located in the village of Pauline.  High School discontinued in 1947, school closed in 1983.  ACHS has teachers registers for 1914-1929. 


District No. 9

Was lcated southeast of Ayr in Section 11, Zero Township.  Discontinued in 1955. 


District No. 10, Silver Lake

Was located southeast of Roseland in Section 10, Silver Lake Township.   Discontinued in 1948.  ACHS has attendance records for 1884 - 1939. 


District No. 11, Holstein

Located in Holstein viallage, organized in 1876.  High School closed in 1970, elementary school still in operation.. 


District No. 12, Oregon Trail School

Was located south of Juniata in Section 23, Juniata Township.  Organized in 1872, discontinued in 1948.  A 1930 fire destroyed the building and all previous records.  ACHS has attendance records 1930 - 1940.  


District No. 13

Was located southwest of Hastings in Section 27, Denver Township.   Discontinued in 1948.    ACHS has teachers registers 1885-1888. 


District No. 14, Roselma School

Was located northwest of Hastings in Section 29 of Highland Township.   Discontinued in 1955.


District No. 15

Located east of Hastings in Section 9, Blaine Township.  Organized in 1877, still in operation as a K-6 school. 


District No. 16, Pleasant Hill

Was located west of Juniata in Section 9, Juniata Township.  Discontinued in 1948.  


District No. 17, Old Inland or Halloran School

Was located in the original village of Inland.  Later located in Section 12, Blaine Township.  Discontinued in 1960. 


District No. 18, Hastings

Located in Hastings.  It is a large K-12 school system.  ACHS has teachers register 1874-1876,  grade reports 1885-1892, attendance records 1893-1907.  


District No. 19, Daily School

Was located southwest of Ayr in Section 8 Zero Township.  Named for E. B. Daily, local settler. Organized in 1872, discontinued in 1960. 


District No. 20, Antioch School

Was located in Section 25, Little Blue Township.  Building which is the only one room school in Adams County still on its original site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  School district disontinued in 1970.  ACHS has attendance records 1935-1963.  


District No. 21, Grand Prairie School

Was located south of Roseland in Section 29, Silver Lake Township.   Discontinued in 1944. 


District No. 22, Leroy School

Was located at former site of the village of Leroy in Section 25, Ayr Township.   Organized in 1872, discontinued in 1955. 


District No. 23

Was located five miles south of Hastings in Section 2, Ayr Township.   Organized in 1872, discontinued in 1952.  


District No. 24

Was located five miles west of Hansen in Section 8, Highland Township in an Irish community.  Discontinued in 1943. ACHS has teachers register 1884.  


District No. 25

Was located  three miles southeast of Juniata in Section 20, Denver Township.  Discontinued in 1945.  ACHS has attendance records 1913-1943. 


District No. 26

Was located east of Pauline in Section 11, Little Blue Township.  Discontinued in 1971.  ACHS has teachers registers 1965-1969. 


District No. 27

Was located in northwest corner of the county in Section 8, Kenesaw Township.   Discontinued in 1952.


District No. 28, Prairie Union

Was located northeast of Roseland in Section 11, Roseland Township.   Organized in 1872, discontinued in 1960.  ACHS has teachers registers 1884-1897 and attendance registers 1947-1960. 


District No. 29, Rising Star

Located northwest of Juniata.  Discontinued in 2005.  


District No. 30, Fairview School

Was located southeast of Roseland in Section Section 26, Silver Lake Township.   Discontinued in 1959. 


District No. 31, Carkins School

Was located north of Hastings in Section 11, Highland township.  Discontinued in 1967.  ACHS has teachers registers 1906-1967. 


District No. 32, Crystal Fount School

Was located north of Juniata in Section 11, Verona Township.  Discontinued in 1949. 


District No. 33, Fisher School or Triview School

Located northeast of Hastings in Section 20, West Blue Township.  Still operating as a K-6 school. 


District No. 34

Was located north of Kenesaw in Section 2, Kenesaw Township.  Discontinued in 1957. 


District No. 35, Mount Pleasant or Kelley School

Was located southeast of Juniata in Section 8, Ayr Township.  Discontinued in 1970.   ACHS has attendance records 1913-1966. 


District No. 36, Liberty School

Was located southeast of Kenesaw in Section 12, Wanda Township.  Formed in 1878, discontinued in 1938.  


District No. 37, Sunnyside School

Was located northeast of Kenesaw in Section 19, Verona Township.  Discontinued in 1943. 


District No. 38, Shiloh School

Was located southwest of Kenesaw in Section Section 20, Wanda Township.   Organized in 1880, discontinued in 1949.  ACHS has teachers register 1923-1948.  


District No. 39, Cloverdale School

Was located southwest of Roseland.  Discontinued in 1956. 


District No. 40, Olive Branch School

Was located south of Hastings in Section 28, Blaine Township.  Discontinued in 1943. 


District No. 41, Hazel Dell School

Was located southwest of Juniata in Section 32, Juniata Township.   Discontinued in 1943. 


District No. 42, Carter School or Roseland School

Originally located in Section 22, Roseland Township.  Moved to the village of Roseland in 1888.  Discontinued in 1986 when Silver Lake District was formed.   


District No. 43

Was located southeast of Hastings in Section 4, Hanover Township.   Discontinued in 1954. 


District No. 44, Fredonia School

Was located south of Kenesaw in Section 10, Wanda Township.  Discontinued in 1943.  ACHS has attendance records 1930-1936. 


District No. 45, Hedgerow School

Was located south of Prosser in Section 8, Verona Township.  Discontinued in 1943.  ACHS has attendance records 1874-1890. 


District No. 46

Was located southeast of Kenesaw in Section 25, Wanda Township.  Discontinued in 1920s. 


District No. 47

Was located northeast of Holstein in Section 12, Cottonwood Township.   Discontinued in 1947. 


District No. 48, Monroe School or Prairie Glen School

Was located northeast of Hastings in Section 8, West Blue Township, named for William Monroe who furnished the land.  Discontinued in 1962. 


District No. 49, Shellhammer School

Was located south of Holstein in Section 26, Logan Township. Named for E. C. Shellhammer. Discontinued in 1946


District No. 50

Was located southeast of Hastings in Section 36, Blaine Township.   Discontinued in 1943. 


District No. 51

Was located southeast of Ayr in Section 26, Zero Township.  Discontinued in 1960. 


District No. 52, Bonnydell School

Was located northeast of Kenesaw in Section 14, Kenesaw Township.   Discontinued in 1939. 


District No. 53, Ayr School

Located in village of Ayr.  Formed in 1873.  High school discontinued in 1947.  K-6 grade since 1970.  ACHS has high school records 1920s - 1940s.


District No. 54, Palmer or Hart School

Was located northeast of Hastings in Section 22, West Blue Township.   Formed in 1875 and named for H. W. Palmer, local settler. Discontinued in 1960.  ACHS has teachers register 1884-1924. 


District No. 55, Prairie View School

Was located east of Ayr in Section 26, Hanover Township.  Discontinued in 1954. 


District No. 56, Garfield School

Was located south of Kenesaw in Section 27, Wanda Township.  Discontinued in 1947. 


District No. 57

Was located north of Hastings in Section 26, Highland Township.  Discontinued in 1957.  ACHS has attendance register 1934-1949. 


District No. 58, Loucks School

Was located east of Hansen in Section 3, West Blue Township.  Discontinued in 1916. 


District No. 59, Ludlow School

Was located southeast of Hastings in Section 11, West Blue Township.  Discontinued in 1915. 


District No. 60, Wallace School

Located south of Hastings in Section 25, Blaine Township. Named for Martin Wallace local homesteader. Formed in 1875, still in operation as a K-6 school.  . 


District No. 61, Sportville School or Rosedale School

Was located south of Hastings in Section 29, Logan Township.  Discontinued in 1940. 


District No. 62, Mount Hope School

Was located southwest of Roseland in Section 7, Silver lake Township.  Discontinued in 1956. 


District No. 63, Loneville School

Was located southwest of Holstein in Section 5,  Logan Township.  Discontinued in 1954. 


District No. 64, Meyers School

Was located southwest of Ayr in Section 30, Zero Township.  Discontinued in 1959.  ACHS has teachers register 1945-1949.


District No. 65, Forest Glen or Toadstool School

Was located southeast of Holstein in Section 14, Logan Township.  Discontinued in 1942.  ACHS has attendance records 1887-1954. 


District No. 66, Rosedale School

Was located southeast of Kenesaw in Section 18, Juniata Township.  Discontinued in 1941.  ACHS has teacher's  register 1896 - 1900.  


District No. 67, Hansen School

Was located in the village of Hansen.  Discontinued in 1988.  ACHS has attendance records 1920-1987. 


District No. 68, Mayflower School

Was located northwest of Holstein in Section 5, Cottonwood Township.  Discontinued in 1953. 


District No. 69, Sunnybrook School

Was located southwest of Kenesaw in Section 6, Wanda Township.  Discontinued in 1945. 


District No. 70

Was located northwest of Kenesaw in Section 29, Kenesaw Township.  Discontinued in 1944. 


District No. 71

Was located southeast of Hastings in Section 11, Hanover Township.  Discontinued in 1954. 


District No. 72

Was located south of Hastings in Section 7, Hanover Township.  Discontinued in 1941. 


District No. 73, Morseville School

Was located southwest of Holstein in Section 17, Logan Township.  Discontinued in 1950.  ACHS has student list for 1924-25. 


District No. 74, Blaine Center School

Was located southeast of Hastings in Section 22, Blaine Township.  Discontinued in 1943. 


District No. 75, Hanover School

Was located southeast of Hastings in Section 16, Hanover Township.  Discontinued in 2004.. 


District No. 76, Brickton School

Was located northeast of Ayr in Section 23, Ayr Township.  Discontinued in 1958. 


District No. 77, Martin School

Was located southeast of Roseland in Section 26, Roseland Township. Named for Samuel Martin. Formed in 1885, joined Roseland in 1919. 


District No. 78, Olive Branch School

Was located south of Hastings in Section 13, Ayr Township.  Formed in 1886, discontinued in 1954. 


District No. 79,

This district which was to have been located east of Juniata never organized.


District No. 80, Blue Valley School

Was located northeast of Hastings in Section 34, West Blue Township.  Formed in 1887, discontinued in 1933.  ACHS has student notes for 19190 - 1920. 


District No. 81, Prosser School

Was located in the village of Prosser.  Formed in 1890, High School discontinued in 1937, grade school joined Kenesaw  in 1980. Building is still standing.  ACHS has attendance records 1907 - 1973.   


District No. 9A, Adams Central School

A rural Junior-Senior High School organized in 1967 is located southeast of Juniata in Section 17, Denver Township. 


Parochial Schools


Immaculate Conception Academy or Academy of the Visitation

A Catholic Girls school located in northeast Hastings.  In operation as Academy of the Visitation from 1889 to 1896.  Reopened in 1909 as the Immaculate Conception Academy.  Closed in 1932.  Became the Crosier Monastery in 1933.  Monastery closed in 2000.  Building is currently used as an office park. 


St. Cecilia's Catholic School

Located on North Kansas Avenue in Hastings.  School opened in 1912.  High School graduated first class in 1935.   


St. Michael's Catholic School, Hastings

Opened in 1954, still in operation.


Assumption Catholic School

Was located in Section 4, Roseland Township.  School opened in 1900 and closed in 1980. 


Zion Lutheran School, Wanda Township

Was located in Section 36, Wanda Township. Opened in 1884, closed in 1957.


Zion Lutheran School, Hastings

Was located in Hastings at the corner of Denver and B Streets. Opened in 1900, moved to Marian Road in 1971. Still in operation.


Christ Lutheran School

Is located in Section 17, Verona Township. Opened in 1899, still in operation.


St. Paul's Lutheran School, Kenesaw

Opened in 1904 in the village of Kenesaw. Closed in 1968.


Seventh Day Adventist School, Hastings

Was located on east 9th Street in Hastings. Opened in 1909, closed in 1954.


Return to the Adams County Main Page

Copyright © 2014 Adams County Historical Society. All rights reserved.