Brown County NEGenWeb
Project © 2000-2008
No unauthorized commercial use may be made of this material
Captain James Edward Ainsworth
In the spring of 1882, the railroad began building west from Long Pine, NE.
The first train, a construction train, arrived in Ainsworth on July 11,1882.
Captain James Edward Ainsworth was the civil engineer of the Fremont, Elkhorn
and Missouri Valley Railroad and was in charge of construction.
The town of Ainsworth was incorporated as a village soon after the county was
The petition was presented to the commissioners on December 10th, 1883 and was
The town was named in honor of Captain Ainsworth.
James Edward Ainsworth was the son of Ralph Ainsworth. Ralph was born July 5,
1799 at Claremont, New Hampshire and married on February 8,1825 to Polly Drury
Chase, who was born at Wethersfield, Vermont, May 11,1798 and who died at
Claremont on February 17,1865.
Ralph was a farmer at Claremont and died July 10,1853. The children in this
Mary Ann was born November 10,1825; She was married on June 3,1855 to William
Kent of Paint Creek, Michigan. She died March 28,1865 at Waterloo, Iowa.
Charles Henry was born June 3,1829, and was a farmer at Claremont. He never married.
James Edward was born June 3,1831, and married his cousin, Laura Lucretia
Ainsworth on December 19,1867.
He died in Williamstown, Vermont, in 1909. They had no children.
Luther Edwin was born on May 26,1842. He died on November 1,1839.
Helen Elizabeth was born on March 26,1842 and died May 27,1965.
James Edward was a Captain in the 12th Iowa Infantry volunteers during
the Civil War and fought at the battle of Shiloh. Records show that J.E.
Ainsworth purchased a lot in Johnstwon on Oct. 25,1883 from John Berry for one
dollar. It was described only as Lot Seven in Block Six, but may have been in
the orginal block of Johnstown Village. The lot was sold by J.E. AInsworth
and Laura L. Ainsworth, husband and wife. They sold it for $20.00 to Albert G.
Holt on August 24,1895.
The Ainsworth's were settled in Williamstown, Vermont by 1907. James Edward died there
in 1909. Laura L. died in 1925, also at Williams
Return to the Return to Index