HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
He was born in Cass county, Iowa, on the 22d of February, 1876, a son of Edwin L. and Carrie N. (Kitson) Smith, both of whom were natives of Cook county, Illinois, where they were reared and married. Two or three years later they removed to Cass county, Iowa, where the father engaged in farming for seven years. He then took his family to Chicago, where he entered upon the study of medicine, matriculating in Rush Medical College, from which he was graduated with the class of February, 1884. In the following May he arrived in Shelton, Nebraska, where he followed his profession up to the time of his death, which occurred in February, 1912. He was accounted one of the foremost citizens of Shelton, not only because of his ability and success in the professional field but also because of his activity along other lines. He became one of the organizers of the Shelton electric light plant, of which he was made president, and in that capacity he served until the time of his death. He was also identified with his son George in the drug business for several years and he possessed the determination and energy which enabled him to carry forward to successful completion whatever he undertook. In his earlier years he gave his political allegiance to the republican party and in after life became a Bryan democrat. While he was quite influential in. local political circles, he never sought nor desired office as a reward for party fealty. At the time of the Civil war he espoused the cause of the Union and went to the front in defense of the stars and stripes. In Masonry he attained the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite and was also a member of the Mystic Shrine at Omaha.
George W. Smith spent his youthful days in his parents' home and obtained his education in the public schools, completing a course in the Shelton high school with the class of 1891. He then took up the study of pharmacy and was graduated from the pharmaceutical department of the University of Illinois at Chicago in the class of 1897. In January, 1898, he established a drug store in Shelton and has since been identified with that line of business. His establishment was incorporated in 1915, under the name of the Smith Drug Company, and a liberal patronage is accorded by reason of the honorable business methods followed and the earnest effort put forth to please patrons. On the 1st of October, 1913, Mr. Smith extended his efforts into other fields by purchasing an interest in Meisner's Bank, of which he was made cashier, since which time he has served in that capacity. Many of the most important business interests of the district have felt the stimulus of the cooperation and sound judgment of Mr. Smith, whose carefully directed efforts seem to take cognizance of every opportunity. He was one of the organizers of the Shelton Electric Light Company, of which he was made secretary and treasurer. The first meeting of the Farmers Home Telephone Company was held in his drug store and he became its secretary, occupying the position for two years, when he disposed of his stock. He was also one of the organizers of the Farmers Elevator Company, of which he became the first secretary. For a number of years he owned a third interest in the Shelton Mills and he is the owner of some valuable farm lands in this part of the state.
In 1900 Mr. Smith was united in marriage to Miss Blanche Lee, her father being Mark G. Lee, vice president of Meisner's Bank and one of Shelton's foremost citizens. Our subject and his wife have three children, Bernadine A., Edwin L. and Elenora.
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
In his political views Mr. Smith is a democrat but has never sought nor desired public office. His wife is a member of the Presbyterian church. They are both held in high esteem and their sterling traits of character have gained for them warm and enduring regard. Mr. Smith is most alert, energetic and enterprising. Few men are more prominent or more widely known in Shelton and this part of the county. He has been an important factor in business affairs and his prosperity is well deserved, as in him are embraced the characteristics of an unbending integrity, unabating energy and industry that never flags. He seems to have a genius for devising the right thing at the right time, joined to everyday common sense which ever proves the balance wheel of talent.
HON. GEORGE W.BARRETT.
Hon. George W. Barrett is the president of the Farmers Home Telephone Company of Shelton, which he was largely instrumental in organizing. He has also been prominently identified with agricultural interests and is a representative business man, actuated at all times by a spirit of determination and enterprise that enables him to overcome all the difficulties and obstacles that bar the path of business progress. Mr. Barrett was born in Washington county, Indiana, December 22, 1850, and is a son of Elijah and Helen (Prather) Barrett, both of whom were natives of Washington county, Indiana, where they resided until 1866. They then removed to Iroquois county, Illinois, where the father passed away in the year 1877. Later the mother removed to Kansas, where her death occurred in 1892.
George W. Barrett was reared at home with the usual experiences of the farm lad. His school privileges were very limited, as he had the opportunity for attending only a part of the three months' winter term, which was the extent of the term in his district in Indiana at that time. He was a lad of sixteen years when his parents removed to Illinois and there he resided until the fall of 1875, when he came to Nebraska. He took up his abode in Shelton township, Buffalo county, and for two years operated rented land. In 1878 he purchased a relinquishment on a tree claim, which he homesteaded and developed, proving it up. Upon that place he has since continuously resided, his farm being pleasantly located about three miles southwest of Shelton. It comprises three hundred and sixty acres of rich and productive land, in addition to which he owns another farm of one hundred and thirty-five acres. He has brought his fields to a high state of cultivation, adding the equipments and accessories of the model farm of the twentieth century, and his labors annually result in the gathering of good harvests. Agriculture, however, is but one phase of his business activity, for to other lines he has extended his efforts, proving equally successful. He was the principal factor in the organization of the Farmers Home Telephone Company of Shelton, of which he was made the president and in that capacity has continued. The business is kept up to a high standard, so that excellent service is rendered to patrons of the line and the enterprise is one which proves of the utmost benefit and convenience to the district. Mr. Barrett was also one of the
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
organizers of the Farmers Elevator Company of Shelton, of which he served as president for two years.
In 1878 Mr. Barrett was united in marriage to Miss Melvina Smith, of Sharon township, this county. To them have been born four children, as follows: Schuyler, who is deceased; Effie, the wife of William Oliver, who follows farming in Shelton township; Charles, a resident of North Yakima, Washington; and Leroy, who operates the old homestead.
Mr. and Mrs. Barrett are members of the United Brethren church, in the work of which they take an active and helpful interest, contributing generously to its support. Mr. Barrett is serving as one of the board of trustees of the church and fraternally he is connected with the Ancient Order of United Workmen. In politics he is an earnest republican and for one term he served as township treasurer, while for several years past he has been a member of the school board. In 1907 he was elected to represent his district in the state legislature and in 1909 received indorsement of his first term's service in a reelection, so that he remained a member of the house for four years, during which time he was connected with much important and constructive legislation. He ever stood fearlessly in support of what he believed to be for the best interests of the commonwealth, nor did he hesitate to oppose any measure which he believed inimical to the general good. His life in its various relations and phases has been of value and benefit to the community in which he lives and his course at all times has been an honor and credit to the community which has honored him.
Fred Bargmann, residing in Riverdale, Nebraska, is one of the foremost residents of the town, conducting a banking, real estate and insurance business, being president of the State Bank. He is a self-made man whose enterprise and determination have led to his success. Each year has chronicled his advancement in business matters, for step by step he has steadily worked his way upward. He was born in Hanover, Germany, November 24, 1862, a son of Henry and Rebecca Bargmann, both of whom were natives of that country, where they spent their entire lives. There they reared their family of five children, of whom four are yet living.
Fred Bargmann spent his boyhood and youth in Germany and in the year 1879, when seventeen years of age, bade adieu to friends and native land and sailed for the new world. He did not tarry on the eastern coast but made his way across the country to Cook county, Illinois, where he secured employment as a farm hand, working in that way until 1886, when he removed to Columbus, Nebraska. He was there employed for two years, at the end of which time he and his brother embarked in the dairy business and continued actively therein for ten years. They then sold out and Fred Bargmann turned his attention to general agricultural pursuits, carrying on farming with success until 1905. He brought his fields to a high state of cultivation, converting his land into a productive tract from which he annually gathered good harvests. In 1907 he removed to Riverdale, where he established the State Bank, of which he has
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
since been the president. He has made this a substantial financial institution and it has been accorded a liberal patronage, so that the business of the bank has grown year by year. It has ever followed a safe, conservative policy and has proven a profitable undertaking. Mr. Bargmann also handles real estate and insurance and these branches of his business are proving substantial sources of income. In addition to his other interests he is a stockholder in the Farmers Elevator at Riverdale. He is the owner of a bank building in Riverdale and also of one hundred and sixty acres of good farming land in this county.
Since becoming a naturalized American citizen Mr. Bargmann has been a stalwart advocate of republican principles and has served on the township board. He is a self-made man and deserves much credit for what he has accomplished. He has taken two trips back to his native land, thus renewing the acquaintances and friendship of his youth and viewing again the scenes amid which his boyhood days were passed. He has never regretted his determination to come to America, for here he has found the opportunities which he sought and in their development has reached a most gratifying point of prosperity.
JOSEPH BUCK, JR.
Joseph Buck, Jr., who is following agricultural pursuits on section 15, Shelton township, was born in that township, on the old Buck homestead, on the 16th of November, 1872. His parents, Joseph and Mary Ann (Singleton) Buck were natives of England but in 1869 and 1870 respectively emigrated to the United States and located in Buffalo county, Nebraska. The father homesteaded land which he cultivated until 1906, when he removed to Shelton, where he is still living at the age of seventy-six years. His wife died in 1908. Seven of their fourteen children have passed away.
Joseph Buck, Jr., remained at home during the period of his minority and after completing his common school education attended the Gibbon Normal School. In the spring of 1894, when about twenty-two years of age, he began farming for himself and for eight years rented land. In 1902 he invested his savings in one hundred and seventy acres of good land on section 27, on Grand Island, Shelton township. In 1904 he removed to that farm and there made his home until January, 1910, when he took up his residence upon his present home place, on section 15, Shelton township, which he had purchased five years previously. He has erected a handsome residence, a commodious barn and outbuildings, and all of the improvements compare favorably with those on other farms in the county. He owns in all two hundred and twenty-five acres of land in Shelton township and as he has managed his affairs well he is one of the well-to-do men of his locality.
In 1903 occurred the marriage of Mr. Buck and Miss Clara M. Maurer, a daughter of the late W. H. Maurer. Five children have been born to this union, namely: Eva W, J. Gordon, Viola H, Martin; and an infant son un-named.
Mr. Buck votes the republican ticket and works loyally for the success of
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
his party but has never desired to hold office as his farming interests make heavy demands upon his time and energy. He was one of the incorporators and first secretary of the Farmers Telephone Company. His entire life has been passed in this county and many of his stanchest friends have known him since boyhood.
J. E. CHARLSON.
J. E. Charlson, who is the proprietor and manager of the Kearney Floral Company at No. 1938 Second avenue, two blocks west of the opera house, has built up a large and flourishing business and is recognized as a man of ability and energy. He was born in Joliet, Will county, Illinois, but when six years of age the family removed to Phelps county, Nebraska, and settled on a farm.
Mr. Charlson attended the public schools and also gave much time to assisting his father. For four years he engaged in teaching the district schools but at the end of that time he continued his education, attending Doane College at Crete, Nebraska, for one term. He then again turned his attention to agricultural pursuits, farming on his own account in this state until February, 1913, when he came to Kearney and purchased a half interest in his present business, becoming sole owner in October, 1915, when he bought out his partner. There are about fifteen thousand feet of glass in his greenhouses and his equipment is modern throughout. He raises all kinds of potted plants, which he sells at both wholesale arid retail not only in Kearney but also in neighboring towns. He specializes in carnations and his flowers are noted for their size, fragrance and beauty of color.
On the 1st of September, 1910, Mr. Charlson was married to Miss Ida Davidson, a native of Phelps county, Nebraska, and they have a daughter, Ruth. Fraternally he is connected with the Mystic Workers. He has gained a gratifying measure of success in his business and has not only won financial prosperity for himself but has also contributed to the commercial advancement of Kearney.
ELMER E. TINGLEY.
A farm of four hundred acres pays tribute to the care and labor bestowed upon it by Elmer E. Tingley, who is one of the progressive agriculturists of Buffalo county, where he is extensively engaged in the feeding of sheep and hogs. He is a native of Kansas, his birth having occurred at Burr Oak, Jewell county, on the l6th of April, 1876, his parents being Leroy M. and Rosa (Briggs) Tingley, the former a native of Kentucky. They were married in Jewell county, Kansas, and in 1884 removed to Buffalo county, settling on Elm Island in Platte township. There the father carried on general farming until 1911, when he removed to Boise City, Idaho, where he is now living retired.
Elmer E. Tingley was a lad of eight years when he removed with his parents
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
to Buffalo county. Here he was reared and the district schools afforded him his educational privileges, his time being divided between the work of the schoolroom and the duties of the fields. He remained at home, assisting on the farm until 1890, when he took up railroad work and for five years was fireman and subsequently engineer on the Burlington and on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe. In 1904 he went across the line into old Mexico, working in the smelter at Aguascalientes, where he was employed for eight and one-half years. There he was made floor foreman in the sampling mill. Subsequently he served for three years as foreman on copper converters and later was foreman of the blast furnaces. In July, 1912, he returned to Buffalo county. He left Mexico twice on account of troubles in that country and resumed farming on the land where he now lives, this farm belonging to his father-in-law. He cultivates, four hundred acres and is extensively engaged in the feeding of sheep and hogs, feeding all the produce raised upon his farm and also buying both hay and corn extensively. He is one of the leading stock dealers of this locality and is a most enterprising and progressive business man.
On the 14th of June, 1910, Mr. Tingley was united in marriage to Miss Carrie E. Manfull, her father being John Manfull, one of the substantial farmers of Platte township. Our subject and his wife have three children, Margaret Rosalind, Elmer Manfull and Anna Barbara.
In his political views Mr. Tingley is independent, having never sought nor desired office nor does he feel himself bound by party ties. He concentrates his energies upon his business affairs and his progressive spirit, keen discernment and indefatigable energy are bringing to him substantial success. His life has been a busy and useful one, characterized at all times by well defined purpose and honorable effort.
CHARLES LUCAS, M. D.
Dr. Charles Lucas has the reputation of being one of the foremost physicians and surgeons of Shelton and Buffalo county. He fully recognizes the responsibilities and obligations which devolve upon him in his professional capacity and he is continually putting forth effort to advance his knowledge and promote his efficiency in the administration of remedial agencies to check the ravages of disease. Indiana claims him as a native son, his birth having occurred in Monroe county, that state, on the 19th of November, 1866, his parents being Peter and Elizabeth J. (Floyd) Lucas, both of whom were natives of Indiana, where they were reared and married. In 1880 they became residents of Lucas, county, Iowa, and the mother passed away there in the same year. In 1884 the father came to Nebraska, establishing his home in Custer county, where two of his sons and a daughter were residing. He continued his residence there up to the time of his demise, which occurred in 1888.
Dr. Charles Lucas is indebted to the public school system for the early educational opportunities which he enjoyed. Passing through consecutive grades, he was at length graduated from the high school at Chariton, Iowa, with the class of 1886 and in December of that year he came to Nebraska, where he
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
took up the profession of teaching, spending three years as a teacher in the schools of Custer and Lincoln counties. During one year of that time he was principal of the schools at Chappell, Nebraska. He regarded this, however, merely as an initial step to other professional labor and in the fall of 1888 entered upon the study of medicine under the direction of Dr. John Murray of Arnold, Nebraska. In the fall of 1889 he entered the Omaha Medical College, now the medical department of the Nebraska State University, pursuing his studies there for a year. He then suspended his college work for a year, during which period he was engaged in teaching and in clerking in a drug store in North Platte, thus obtaining the funds which enabled him to continue his preparation for the practice of medicine and surgery. During that period of clerkship he passed the civil service examination and a month later received an appointment in the war department at Washington, remaining for four years in the government service. During that time he continued his medical studies by attending night lectures at the University of Georgetown in Washington, D. C., from which institution he was graduated with the class of 1893. He remained in the government position for two years longer and continued to attend lectures and clinics, but in 1895 he resigned his position in Washington to return to Nebraska, since which time he has engaged in the practice of his profession in Shelton, building up a large and enviable practice. He is a thoroughly skilled physician and surgeon, his capability being demonstrated in the excellent results which have attended his efforts as he has ministered to the needs of the sick and suffering in this part of the county.
On the 7th of September, 1893, Dr. Lucas was united in marriage to Miss Lida E. Campbell, of Garfield, Lincoln county, Nebraska. To them have been born three children, two of whom survive, Mary Gertrude and Charles Sinclair.
In politics Dr. Lucas is independent, voting for men and measures rather than party. For four years he has served as a member of the board of health of Shelton and for the past seven years has been a member of the school board, putting forth effective effort to promote the interests of education. Fraternally he is connected with Shelton Lodge, A. F. & A. M., and along strictly professional lines he is connected with the Buffalo County Medical Society, which he joined on its organization, and with the Nebraska State Medical Society. His practice is free from hasty and ill formed judgments. He studies closely the needs of every individual case and never allows anything to interfere with the performance of his professional duties.
E. S. HARTE.
E. S. Harte, station agent at Gibbon and well known as a courteous and obliging official, always willing and ready to render aid in every possible way to the traveling public, has occupied this position since 1896. He was born in New Salem, Pennsylvania, on the 9th of April, 1866, a son of Samuel and Mary (Stover) Harte, both of whom were natives of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, where they were reared and married. In 1870 they removed to Dixon, Lee county, Illinois, and the father, who was a shoemaker, there worked at his
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
trade for six or eight years. Subsequently he turned his attention to the butchering business, in which he actively continued up to the time of his death, which occurred in 1888, when he was sixty-one years of age. His wife passed away in 1907, at the age of eighty-three years.
E. S. Harte acquired a common school education and at fifteen years of age took up the study of telegraphy, working in various offices of the Chicago & Northwestern system. He was employed in the city of Chicago and at various points throughout Illinois and in 1896 came to Gibbon, Nebraska, as station agent for the Union Pacific Railroad Company, in which position he has since continued, being the sixth oldest man in the service as agent and operator, having represented the company in that capacity for almost three decades. Twenty years' service at Gibbon establishes his position as one of the popular operators on the line, for he has the warm regard and goodwill of his fellow townsmen, who recognize in him an obliging official. He is the owner of one hundred and sixty acres of farm land in Norton county, Kansas, and he has an attractive home in Gibbon.
In 1890 Mr. Harte was united in marriage to Miss Ella Lape, of Somerset, Pennsylvania, by whom he has two children, namely: Lloyd W, an assistant engineer on the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad, located at Lincoln, Nebraska; and Bruce S., a graduate of the Gibbon high school who is now a student in Creighton College of Omaha.
Mr. Harte is a democrat in his political views and has served for nine years as a member of the school board, while for some years he has been a member of the village park board. Fraternally he is identified with Excalibar Lodge, No. 138, K. P., of Gibbon, and Gibbon Lodge, No. 137, I. O. O. F. He is loyal to the spirit of these organizations and exemplifies in his life their beneficent teachings. Gibbon knows him as a man of sterling worth and as a representative citizen and as such he deserves mention in the history of Buffalo county.
John Swenson resides at No. 2327 T street in Lincoln, having established his home in the capital city four years ago. The greater part of the period of his manhood has been spent in the new world and no native son of this land is more loyal to the interests and traditions of the republic than he. His has been an active, useful and well spent life and he has a circle of friends almost coextensive with the circle of his acquaintance. He was born in Sweden in September, 1838, and has therefore passed the seventy-seventh milestone on life's journey. He acquired his education altogether in his father's home, having no opportunity to attend school, but in the school of experience he has learned many valuable lessons and become a progressive business man.
When twenty-two years of age he bade adieu to friends and native country and sailed for the United States, making his way to Illinois. He was located at Geneva, that state, when in 1861 civil war was declared and after watching the progress of events and becoming convinced that the south had no right to disrupt the Union, he enlisted in support of the stars and stripes, joining Company
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
D of the Fifty-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He participated in a number of hotly contested engagements, including the battles of Fort Donelson, Shiloh and Corinth, In the last named engagement he had his left arm shattered, forcing amputation. After his recovery he did duty in assisting the quartermaster at brigade headquarters. He served in all for four years and was honorably discharged and mustered out in July, 1865.
Realizing the need and value of educational training as a preparation for life's practical and responsible duties, Mr. Swenson then attended the college at Fulton, Illinois, where he won the Bachelor of Science degree. His residence in Buffalo county dates from 1874, when he cast in his lot with its pioneer settlers. Comparatively few had penetrated into what was then the western wilderness, but he saw the opportunities that might be improved here and became identified with the early development and improvement of this section of the state. He homesteaded twelve miles north of Kearney and lived thereon for three years, on the expiration of which period he removed to Sartoria township, on the Loup river, purchased land and engaged in stock-raising. Success attended his efforts and as he prospered in his undertakings he added to his property from time to time until he is now the owner of over nineteen hundred acres. His possessions are very extensive and from his property he derives a most gratifying annual income.
Mr. Swenson was twice married. His first wife bore the maiden name of Eva Jane Thornton and was a native of Washington, Iowa. After her demise he wedded Miranda Powers, who passed away in Lincoln, leaving a son, John, an estimable and popular young man of nineteen years who is now attending school in Lincoln.
During his residence in Buffalo county Mr. Swenson served for four years as superintendent of schools but aspired to no other office, and although often solicited to become a candidate for the legislature, refused to do so. He was reared in the Lutheran church and still clings to that faith. In 1911 he removed to Lincoln, where he now makes his home, being pleasantly located, his income supplying him with all of the comforts and many of the luxuries of life. He deserves much credit for what he has accomplished, as all has been secured through his persistent, earnest efforts directed by sound judgment. His energy has ever been unfaltering and what he has undertaken he has carried forward to successful completion. His life history may well serve to encourage and inspire others, for it indicates that the field of opportunity is open to all and that the fruits of labor are certain.
FRANK F. ROBY
For sixteen years Frank F. Roby has been a resident of Kearney and throughout the entire period has been actively identified with interests promoting its material welfare and progress. He is today conducting an extensive milling business, being one of the leading flour manufacturers of this section of the state. He also engages in the manufacture of ice and for both commodities finds a ready sale on the market.
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
Mr. Roby is a native of Carroll county, Ohio, born, February ii, 1861, the only child of Luther M. and Sarah (Knight) Roby, who were also natives of Ohio and of English descent. The father is living in Kearney, hale and hearty at the advanced age of eighty-one years. Frank F. Roby passed his youth at home, attending the district schools. He never worked for wages in his life. As a boy he would take various jobs but never at regular wages. When nineteen years of age he determined to follow the advice of Horace Greeley, who said: "Go west, young man, go west," and accordingly he left home, making his way to Colorado Springs, Colorado, at which time the place contained a population of but eight hundred people. For a time he worked for his board and later he became the first student to enroll his name in the metallurgical department of Colorado College and was the first to successfully pass the examination and receive a degree from that department. He was also the first to assemble an assay outfit from that school, loading it on a prairie schooner, after which he drove one hundred and seventy-five miles into the mountains, where he put his outfit into effective operation. He conducted his assay plant for three years and then owing to failing eyesight embarked in the general grain and brokerage business in Colorado Springs. Subsequently he became connected with the promotion of mining properties and various other business interests. He was likewise interested in ranching in Colorado and made his home in Colorado Springs until 1899. During the intervening period he visited every mining camp of importance in the west and in 1879 he made the trip to Pike's Peak, it then requiring three days to reach the summit. When Cripple Creek first entered upon its boom Mr. Roby was among the first to reach the camp, there being only three tents there at the time of his arrival. He also located the camp and laid out Red River City, New Mexico, and he was one of the first to locate claims at Bonanza, Saquache county, Colorado. There he established his first assay office. His experiences on the frontier alone would fill a volume if written in detail and would present a most interesting and accurate picture of life in the west, for he is thoroughly acquainted with all that constitutes the early history of Colorado, with all its romance of development and the tragedy of its lawlessness and loss of life. He witnessed the early lynchings and the riots and saw the birth of what seemed likely to be a future city and saw the opening of what came to be a great mining age. He has likewise seen many of the cities and mining camps collapse and fade into comparatively nothing and become but a recollection of the past.
Overwork at length led to a complete breakdown in health and Mr. Roby was taken out of Colorado Springs on a stretcher, a nervous wreck. He drifted to Kearney, Nebraska, and here he found an altitude in which he could live in comfort. His energy had not all departed and he soon purchased the old milling property in Kearney, thinking it would prove an adjunct to his grain business in Colorado. In the passing of time his business increased in volume to such an extent that although he had come to Kearney as a temporary location he decided to become a permanent citizen. His export business has assumed large proportions and from his mill trainloads of flour have been shipped and the business has become one of the most important productive industries of the county. In addition to the manufacture of flour he also manufactures ice and has a most gratifying patronage in that connection. He still retains extensive interests
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
in Colorado, comprising ranches, live stock, city property and mining stock and is the largest individual ranch owner in El Paso county, Colorado. His investments have been most judiciously made. His keen sagacity recognizes the value of a business situation, and he has never failed to venture where favoring opportunity has led the way.
In 1897 Mr. Roby was united in marriage to Mrs. Henrietta Quereau. In his political views he is a stalwart republican and fraternally is a prominent Mason, being a Knight Templar and Shriner. Sixteen years' residence in Kearney has made him widely known, while his stalwart qualities as manifest in business, in his public relations and his private life have gained for him the confidence and warm regard of all with whom he has been associated. He has many sterling qualities and while he has furthered individual progress his activities have been of a character which have contributed as well to the general prosperity.
VICTOR B. WHEELOCK.
Victor B. Wheelock, who is occupying the position of bookkeeper with the firm of Wort & Minton, automobile dealers in Kearney, was born at Freehold, Pennsylvania, November 4, 1869, a son of Matthew G. and Henrietta (Buel) Wheelock. The father was a druggist by occupation. In August, 1885, he removed from Pennsylvania to Grand Island, Nebraska, while later he made his way to Ravenna, in Buffalo county, arriving here in April, 1886. Here he continued to make his home until his death, which occurred in December, 1895. His widow is yet living and makes her home with her children. Mr. Wheelock was a soldier of the Union army during the Civil war, serving as a member of Company K, One Hundred and Fifty-first Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, with which he participated in the battle of Gettysburg and other important engagements and campaigns of the east which led up to the final victory that crowned the Union arms. He afterward maintained pleasant relations with his military comrades through his membership in the Grand Army of the Republic. In his fraternal relations he was a Mason and his religious belief was that of the Congregational church, while his political allegiance was given to the republican party, which found in him a stalwart and unfaltering advocate.
Victor B. Wheelock lived with his parents until the death of his father, and the public schools afforded him his educational opportunities. In 1905 he was elected register of deeds of Buffalo county and by reelection was continued in that position for nine years. That he was chosen for this office at different elections is indicative of the excellent manner in which he performed his duties and the confidence reposed in him. He is now employed by the firm of Wort & Minton as bookkeeper.
On the 2d of June, 1896, Mr. Wheelock was united in marriage to Miss Nellie Teeple and they have two sons D and Jack. The mother is a member of the Congregational church. Mr. Wheelock has exercised his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of the republican party since age conferred upon him the right of franchise and fraternally he is connected with the Elks, the Knights of Pythias, the Modern Woodmen and the Ancient Order of United
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
Workmen. He has a wide acquaintance in fraternal circles and through business and social connections and has attractive qualities which render him popular wherever he is known.
JOSEPH L. BENNETT, M. D.
Dr. Joseph L. Bennett, physician and surgeon of Kearney, his ability bringing him prominently to the front in the ranks of his chosen profession in Buffalo county, is a native, of Howell, Michigan, but when he was eight years of age the family removed to Wyoming, Jones county, Iowa, where he was reared and educated, passing through consecutive grades to the high school. When twenty-one years of age he entered Lenox College at Hopkinton, Iowa, where he devoted two years to pursuing a literary course. When nineteen years of age he left home and started out in life penniless. He worked for his board and the privilege of attending high school and during the summer months was employed at farm labor. He also made his own way through college, teaching in the district schools through the winter months and working in the fields through the summer seasons. After spending two years in college he entered the Eclectic Medical Institute at Cincinnati, Ohio, from which he was graduated with the class of 1874.
Immediately afterward Dr. Bennett located in Hopkinton, Iowa, where he had been a college student for two years. After his marriage, which occurred in Wyoming, Iowa, he removed to Anita, Cass county, Iowa, where he practiced for five years, when he was selected to fill the chair of materia medica and therapeutics in Drake University at Des Moines, delivering the second lecture given in the medical department of that institution, he continued to occupy that chair for five years, after which he practiced for some time. Later he withdrew from practice and in connection with his brother-in-law purchased the Bank of Centerville at Centerville, South Dakota. He remained as president for two years, at the end of which time he sold out and removed to Kearney, Nebraska, where he arrived on the 15th of November, 1888. He came to this city to accept the position of cashier of a bank here, but the plans fell through and it was not organized. He then organized the Midway Loan & Trust Company, of which he became secretary, and also acted as cashier of the savings bank that was connected therewith. They built what is now known as the Federal Annex, the second largest building in the town. Dr. Bennett continued in active connection with the business for two years and then sold out, after which he resumed the practice of his profession, in which be has since been engaged. He keeps thoroughly informed concerning the latest discoveries and scientific researches in the field of medicine and surgery and his ability is being constantly augmented by his wide reading and study.
On the 10th of October, 1876, Dr. Bennett was united in marriage to Miss Clara A. Briggs, a native of Iowa and a former schoolmate. To them have been born four children, as follows: Clara L., who is engaged in the abstract business at Broken Bow, Nebraska; Ray B., the cashier of the State Bank at Bladen,