sentenced to the penitentiary, the trial gave Mr. Beeman a standing at the bar so that his legal career thenceforward was one of creditable success. He had passed his boyhood days in his native state and for a time was a student at the Western Reserve Seminary. In 1879 he taught school and to prepare for his university course attended the high school at Ann Arbor, Michigan, from which he was graduated on the 22d of June, 1883. In the fall of 1884, he matriculated at the State University of Michigan, completing the classical course and receiving the bachelor of arts degree in 1887. In conjunction with his other work he attended the legal department of the university in 1886 and 1887 and in February of the latter year, upon special examination, was admitted to the bar. He spent the remainder of the year in Nebraska seeking a suitable location and at length deciding upon Kearney, has since made this city his home.
Mr. Beeman's wife, who in her maidenhood was Miss Irene Osborn, and to whom he was married in 1884, died February 11, 1907, leaving two children, Burke Osborn and Irene. Mr. Beeman is a member of the Phi Gamma Delta, a college fraternity, and two fraternal organizations, the Knights of Pythias and the Ancient Order of United Workmen. He ranks very high as a lawyer and citizen. In his profession he is sound, clear minded and well trained, felicitous and clear in argument, thoroughly in earnest, full of the vigor of conviction, never abusive of his adversaries, imbued with the highest courtesy and yet a foe worthy of the steel: of the most able opponent.
H. J. DUNKIN.
H. J. Dunkin, who is filling the office of postmaster at Gibbon, was born at Rossie, New York, on the 29th of July, 1855, and is a son of John and Ann Eva Dunkin, both natives of England. They emigrated to America in 1852 and settled in the state of New York, where the father passed away in 1855. Subsequently the mother removed with her family to Vermont and in 1871 came to Buffalo county, Nebraska, and took up her residence upon a farm. She died in 1901 in Gibbon.
H. J. Dunkin was one of a family of seven children born to his parents, of whom four are living. He remained at home with his mother until he attained his majority and during his boyhood and youth attended the public schools in the acquirement of an education. In 1879, when about twenty-four years of age, he became a traveling salesman and after devoting twelve years to that work was for eight years engaged in the grocery business at Gibbon. He then sold out and traveled for seventeen more years but in 1915 was appointed postmaster of Gibbon, which office he is now acceptably filling. He is prompt and systematic in the performance of his work and is proving a popular official. He has been successful financially and owns a business property and his residence in Gibbon.
In 1880 Mr. Dunkin was married to Miss Robbie Masters, who was born in Illinois, of the marriage of Benjamin F. and Lovina (Empie) Masters, the former of whom was born in Pennsylvania and the latter in Ohio. They were early settlers of Illinois but subsequently removed to Custer county, Nebraska, where the father passed away. The mother is still living and resides at Lincoln.
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
Mr. and Mrs. Dunkin have four children, namely: Walter, a resident of Kansas City, Missouri; Gladys, the wife of C. C. Hall, of Portland, Oregon; Eva, deceased; and Harry B., who is a graduate of the local high school and is now assistant postmaster. Mr. Dunkin supports the candidates and measures of the democratic party at the polls and takes the interest of a good citizen in everything relating to the public welfare. Fraternally he belongs to Granite Lodge, No. 189, A. F. & A. M., and his wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. They are well known in Gibbon and their many admirable qualities have gained them the respect and warm regard of those who have been closely associated with them.
The name of David Webbert is closely inter-woven with the early history of Kearney, for he left the impress of his individuality upon various activities which have led to the development and upbuilding of this city and county. A native of Carlisle, Cumberland county, Pennsylvania, he was a son of John Webbert, while his grandfather, a native of France, became the founder of the family in the new world, arriving in America about the beginning of the nineteenth century. In early manhood David Webbert went to Dayton, Ohio, where for many years he followed carpentering and contracting, and during that period he was united in marriage with Miss Mary A. Arnold. In July, 1872, he arrived in central Nebraska when the country was an almost unbroken expanse of wild prairie. He took up his abode in Kearney, being among its first settlers, and here he worked at his trade, his services being in constant demand in the growing frontier village. Many of the buildings now standing were erected by him and are still evidences of his skill and handiwork. He led a most industrious life and was accounted one of the substantial citizens of his community.
Mr. Webbert was also a man of marked characteristics, decided in his views and ever unfaltering in his support of his honest opinions. While living in Ohio he was among the first to respond to the country's call for troops to put down the rebellion and was enrolled for the hundred-days' service, while later he was connected with the One Hundred and Thirty-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry. That he proved a valiant and loyal soldier is evidenced in the fact that he was presented a "certificate of thanks" bearing the signature of the martyred president, and on the strength of this he was granted a homestead a short distance east of Kearney, together with a pension. He was a quiet, unassuming, unobstrusive man who attended strictly to his own business without interfering in the affairs of his neighbors. He was also generous to a fault, often to his own financial detriment. He was quiet and even tempered in disposition and always attained his ends without serious friction. No man in the community was more widely respected than he. Honest, industrious and law-abiding, he stood for all that is best in American citizenship. His religious faith was evidenced by his membership in the United Brethren church and his political indorsement was given to the republican party. He died in July, 1894, survived by his widow, and five children, namely: Lillie A., the wife of Frank S. Rhone, of Kearney;
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
Reuben R, a carpenter at Dayton, Ohio; Benjamim O, a carpenter of Kearney; Henry A., of Kearney; and Henrietta, the wife of Charles E. Taylor, of Dayton, Ohio.
Henry A. Webbert, still living at Kearney, was born at Dayton, Ohio. February 15, 1871, but was reared and educated in the city which is now his home. He began learning the printer's trade with Rhone Brothers on the 12th of April, 1886, and has followed that pursuit in many different localities, although always considering Kearney his home. He is now conducting a general printing business and is accorded a liberal patronage in that connection. He is also interested in various other lines of endeavor and his sound judgment and keen discrimination are regarded as valuable assets in any undertaking with which he becomes identified.
On the 22d of March, 1893, Mr. Webbert was united in marriage to Miss Hattie G. Taylor, by whom he has three children, David Arnold, Henry James and Mary Louise. Mr. Webbert is well known in fraternal circles, being identified with the Masons, the Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias. He has served as high priest of the Royal Arch chapter and as eminent commander for the Knights Templar and does everything in his power to further the work of the craft. His religious faith is that of the Episcopal church and his political belief that of the republican party. He served for four years as assessor of Kearney and at the present time is occupying the position of city treasurer, discharging his duties promptly, systematically and capably. He was also one of the organizers of the Buffalo County and Midway Fair Association, of which he is now the treasurer, and he was a charter member and is a director of the Kearney Commercial Club. He is also treasurer of the State Volunteer Firemen's Association. His activities along many lines have been of benefit to the city in which practically his entire life has been passed and he is a progressive, public-spirited man who ever looks to the welfare and upbuilding of the district in which he lives. The work instituted by the father in pioneer times is being carried on by the son, so that the name of Webbert figures prominently in connection with public affairs.
Among the young business men of Riverdale whose enterprise is contributing in large measure to the business development and general improvement of the town is Charles H. Pratt, who is now cashier of the State Bank. Iowa claims him as a native son, his birth having occurred in Sioux county on the 8th of September, 1886, his parents being Thomas and Mary Hanna (White) Pratt who are farming people of this county. The family removed to Buffalo county during the early boyhood of Charles H. Pratt, who was here reared and edu-
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
cated. He supplemented his early opportunities in that direction by a course in the high school at Kearney and in the excellent business college of which that city is justly proud. After thus receiving a thorough training he obtained a position in the office of the county treasurer and in 1907 he came into the bank at Riverdale, known as the State Bank, of which he has since been the cashier and in which he now owns a controlling interest. He has been very active in its management and has contributed in substantial measure to its success. He is one of the well known and valued citizens of the town, where he owns a pleasant residence and two lots.
Mr. Pratt was married on the 16th of June, 1915, to Miss Hilda G. Peterson, a native of this county and a daughter of John O. and Othelia H. Peterson. The father is deceased but the mother still resides on the old homestead farm, where she has reared her family of five children. Mr. and Mrs. Pratt attend the Methodist Episcopal church and he is well known in fraternal circles, belonging to the Odd Fellows Lodge No. 352, the Modern Woodmen of America, the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Rebekah degree of the Odd Fellows. In politics he is a republican and is now serving as treasurer of the school board at Riverdale. His interest in community affairs is that of a public-spirited citizen who cooperates in all plans and measures for the general good and puts forth earnest effort to bring to a successful conclusion whatever he undertakes.
CARLTON B. CASS.
Carlton B. Cass, the owner and editor of the Ravenna News, has made the paper a factor of importance in the molding of public opinion and has at all times sought to advance the community welfare. He is a native of New York, his birth having occurred in Albany on the 9th of June, 1868. His parents, Horatio G. and Mary J. (Babcock) Cass, were likewise born in .the Empire state and the father was a member of the faculty of the State Normal College for some time. At length he left the educational field and engaged in the grocery business in Albany but at the time of the panic of 1873 failed. Two years later he removed to Hamilton county, Nebraska, and located at Aurora, where he taught school for awhile. Subsequently he turned his attention to the mason's trade and for a number of years engaged in contracting. Still later he held the office of water commissioner of Aurora for ten years and is still living there at the age of seventy-five years. Following the death of the mother of our subject, in 1870, he remarried and in 1885 lost his second wife.
Carlton B. Cass was about seven years of age when the family home was established in Aurora, Nebraska, and received his education in the public schools there. After putting aside his textbooks he entered the office of the Hamilton County News and after serving his apprenticeship worked for two years as a journeyman printer. In 1886 he came to Ravenna, Buffalo county, and established the Ravenna Star, which he conducted for a year and then sold to his competitor. He next went to Stratton, Hitchcock county, and founded the Stratton Democrat, which he published for one year. He then returned to Ravenna and took charge of the Ravenna News, having purchased a large interest therein. After paying off a five hundred dollar mortgage on the plant
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
he became the sole owner of the paper, which he has since published. The paper has a circulation of a thousand and is ranked among the progressive, reliable and well edited weeklies of this state. The plant is thoroughly modern in its equipment and in addition to publishing the News Mr.Cass does a large job business and has built up an enviable reputation for high class work.
On the 27th of January, 1900, Mr. Cass was married to Miss Theressa Petrick, a daughter of Carl and Barbara (Wesley) Petrick, natives of Bohemia. The father, who was a farmer, emigrated to America and located in Fillmore county, Nebraska, in 1883. He purchased a section of land there which he operated successfully until 1889, when he removed to Custer county, this state. There he lived until his demise in 1901 and the following year his wife also passed to the great beyond. Mr. and Mrs. Cass have five children, namely: Mildred F., who was born December 27, 1900; H. Allen, born August 5, 1902; Marion, August 9, 1904; Lyman, September 12, 1906; and Marjorie, August 11, 1908.
Mr. Cass has held he office of city clerk for more than twenty-five years, and from 1890 until 1896 served ably as justice of the peace. He has been a member of the school board for ten years, and was recently elected president of the same. For a quarter of a century he has also been superintendent of the cemetery and in all of his official positions he has made a record creditable alike to his ability and public spirit. Fraternally he is well known, belonging to the Knights of Pythias, the Ancient Order of United Workmen, the Royal Highlanders, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Modern Brotherhood of America. He is one of the leading citizens of Ravenna and never fails to use his personal influence and that of his paper to promote the material and civic advancement of the town.
JOHN D. LOEWENSTEIN.
John D. Loewenstein is a member of the city council at Kearney and one whose record in office is most commendable, for he has brought to the discharge of his duties sagacious business methods and has fought against all untried theories. All recognize the effectiveness and value of his public service and reelection has continued him in the office. His residence in Buffalo county dates from April, 1878, and for twenty-seven years of this time he was engaged in general farming in Center township. His birth occurred in Birmingham, now a part of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, January 23, 1854, but he was only a year old when his parents, Daniel and Elizabeth (Moesta) Loewenstein, removed to Iowa City, Iowa, which was then the capital of the state, and there the father worked at his trade of wagon making.
It was at that place that John D. Loewenstein was reared to manhood, acquiring his education in the public schools, in which he passed through consecutive grades until he became a high school student. After his textbooks were put aside he spent four years at work at the wagon maker's trade in connection with his father, and in young manhood he came to Buffalo county, Nebraska, arriving here thirty-eight years ago. Soon after he reached his destination he purchased a
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
half section of railroad land in Center township for five dollars per acre and to this he added from time to time until he now owns an entire section of land, from which he derives a gratifying annual income. In 1878 he returned to Iowa, was married, brought his bride to Buffalo county and has here since remained. Year by year he carefully and systematically tilled the soil, converting his land into highly cultivated and productive fields, and as the years passed on he managed to acquire a handsome competence. Satisfied at length with what he had attained in a business way, he left the farm and removed to Kearney, where he has made his home since April, 1905, deriving a good annual income from his farm property.
On the 11th of December, 1878, in Iowa, Mr. Loewenstein was united in marriage to Miss Mary A. Schmidt, and to them have been born nine children: Daniel J., William H., Frank F., Alva, Christina, Ida, Henrietta, Amelia and Clara Frances.
In his political views Mr. Loewenstein is an earnest democrat and in 1912 was elected a member of the city council, since which time he has served in that body. He puts forth every effort to safeguard the interests of the city, is careful in the expenditure of public moneys and yet avoids that useless retrenchment which hampers progress. In religious faith he is a Lutheran, and his life has ever been guided by high and honorable principles which have made him a man among men, respected and honored wherever known and most of all where he is best known.
WILLIAM J. SMITH.
An excellent farm of two hundred and ten acres in Shelton township pays tribute to the care and cultivation which its owner, William J. Smith, bestows upon it, and its well kept appearance testifies to his enterprise and industry. He was born in Lawrence county, Pennsylvania, on the 10th of October, 1858, of the marriage of George and Jane (Stanley) Smith, both of whom were natives of Pennsylvania, where the demise of the mother occurred. In the fall of 1872 the father removed with his family to Buffalo county, Nebraska, and here purchased three hundred and twenty acres of land, which he cultivated until his death. To him and his wife were born five children, of whom three are still living.
William J. Smith was educated in the public schools of this county and remained at home until he reached mature years, after which he purchased his present farm, which comprises two hundred and ten acres on section 16, Shelton township. He has made many improvements upon the place and has conserved the fertility of the soil. He carries on general farming but gives the greater part of his attention to stock raising, which he finds very profitable.
In 1881 occurred the marriage of Mr. Smith and Miss Tacy Walker, who was born in Ohio and is a daughter of Samuel Walker, deceased. Her demise occurred in 1899 and she was laid to rest in the Shelton cemetery. Besides her husband she left four children: Frank Benson; Laura B., the wife of Francis Johnson; and Tillie G., and Bessie, both at home. In 1901 Mr. Smith was again married, Miss Nona Boyce becoming his wife. She is a native of West Vir-
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
ginia and is a daughter of Isaac Boyce, a resident of Colorado. To this union five children have been born, namely: Louise E.; Dale E., Rachel, deceased; John; and Stanley.
Mr. Smith supports the republican party at the polls and is now acceptably filling the office of justice of the peace, while for a number of years he served as a member of the school board. He belongs to the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and both he and his wife are members of the United Brethren church. When he began his independent career Mr. Smith had no capital but he possessed the more valuable assets of determination and energy and he has become one of the substantial residents of Shelton township.
RICHARD SULLIVAN, D. O.
Dr. Richard Sullivan, who is conducting an infirmary of osteopathy at Kearney, was born in Springfield, Massachusetts, on the 15th of April, 1872, and was but four years of age when his parents removed with their family to northwestern Iowa, where he spent his youthful days and pursued a public school education. He was about eighteen years of age when he entered a drug store, in which he remained for three years, and during that time he also took up the study of telegraphy, having two brothers who were operators. He afterward became station master and operator at Smithland, Iowa, on the Illinois Central Railroad, was also at Remsen and Fonda, Iowa, and for ten years was in Colorado, occupying positions as telegraph operator and station agent. He made good in this connection but sought a broader field of labor and entered the American School of Osteopathy at Kirksville, Missouri, where he was graduated. He then located for practice in Kearney in September, 1912, and has here successfully followed his profession, doing excellent work as the years have gone on.
On the 17th of January, 1900, Dr. Sullivan was united in marriage to Miss Effie Pratt, a native of Harlan, Shelby county, Iowa, by whom he has had two children, namely: Pratt, who died in infancy; and Elaine, born September l, 1902, who is at home. In politics Dr. Sullivan is independent and fraternally he is connected with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and the Knights of Pythias. Laudable ambition has prompted him to take the forward steps in his career and his course has been marked by a steady progression that is now bringing him to the front in his chosen profession.
J. G. WALKER.
A high type of business enterprise is manifest in the commercial career of J. G. Walker, a druggist of Gibbon, who was born in the province of Ontario, Canada, on August 10, 1868, a son of Robert and Margaret (Baird) Walker. The father was a native of Ireland and was brought to the United States by his parents when a child of but three years. The mother was born in Ontario. Following their marriage they located on a farm in Ontario and it was upon the
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
old homestead there that J. G. Walker was reared, while his educational opportunities were those afforded by the public schools of the neighborhood, supplemented by a high school course in Ontario and in Custer county, Nebraska. He was sixteen years of age when he came with his father's family to this state. Their goods were shipped to Grand Island and from that point J. G. Walker and his brother John drove with wagon and team across the country to Sherman county, where they lived for a year, devoting their attention to the cultivation of their farm, which was situated just across the boundary line in Custer county. The father had previously secured that land as a homestead claim and the family bent their energies to the task of breaking the sod and cultivating the wild prairie. In 1885 they took up their abode upon the homestead.
J. G. Walker continued to assist in the work of the farm until 1890, when he went to Mason City, where he learned the drug business and there worked in a drug store until 1896. He then took a course in pharmacy and was given honorable mention in his class. Subsequently he came to Gibbon and engaged in the drug business for himself, since which time he has conducted his store. He has a well appointed establishment, carrying a large and carefully selected line of drugs and druggists' sundries, and he has built up a good trade by reason of honorable methods, unfaltering industry and laudable ambition. He is also the owner of one hundred and sixty acres of land in Bowman county, North Dakota.
In August, 1900, Mr. Walker was united in marriage to Miss Sybil N. Converse, of Loup City, Sherman county, Nebraska, by whom he has four children, namely: Marie, Margaret, Robert and Wilbur.
Mr. Walker is a republican in politics, and has served on the village board and on the school board, acting as president of the latter at the present time. Fraternally he is identified with Granite Lodge, No. 189, A. F. & A. M.; Omaha Consistory, A. & A.S.R.; and the Ancient Order of United Workmen. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian church and sterling worth has gained them an enviable place in public regard. Mr. Walker's residence in Nebraska covers a period of almost a third of a century, during which time he has witnessed notable changes and has borne his part in the work of general improvement and advancement. He is never remiss in the duties of citizenship, never fails in his obligations to his fellowmen and at all times stands for those things which are most worth while in manhood and in citizenship.
E. G. TUNKS
E. G. Tunks is successfully engaged in the real estate and insurance business at Gibbon and has gained a place among the enterprising and able young business men of his town. His birth occurred in Illinois on the 14th of June, 1886, and he is a son of S. E. and Josephine (Kent) Tunks, both natives of that state. The father is still living but the mother has passed away. They were the parents of three children, of whom one is deceased.
E. G. Tunks was reared at home and received his education in the schools of his native state but in 1900, when about fourteen years of age, he went to Iowa, where he remained for four years. He was subsequently for a similar
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
period in South Dakota, but in 1908 he came to Gibbon, Buffalo county, Nebraska, and aided in installing the electric light plant here, of which he was manager for some time. Subsequently, however, he entered the real estate and insurance field, in which he has since been active, and he now handles much valuable property annually and does a good business as an insurance agent.
On the 2d of June, 1909, Mr. Tunks was united in marriage to Miss Rena B. Reddy, a native of this county and a daughter of John and Mary (Lehan) Reddy. Her parents were both born in Ireland but emigrated to the United States in early life and in 1871 located on a farm in Buffalo county, where the father passed away. The mother is still living at the age of sixty-seven years. Mrs. Tunks is one of a family of six children, of whom five survive, and by her marriage has become the mother of a son, Lehan Kent, whose birth occurred on the 14th of August, 1915.
Mr. Tunks gives his political support to the republican party and discharges to the full all of the obligations of citizenship. Fraternally he is connected with Gibbon Lodge, No. 37, I. O. O. F, in which he has filled all of the chairs, and with Granite Lodge, No. 189, A. F. & A. M., and in religious faith both he and his wife are Presbyterians. The gratifying measure of prosperity which Mr. Tunks has gained is the more creditable in that it is due solely to his own well directed efforts, as he began his career without capital.
JAMES D. HAWTHORNE.
James D. Hawthorne, well known as a jeweler of Kearney, came to this city in the spring of 1878 and has remained here continuously since, or for a period of thirty-eight years. With the exception of one year he has been in business at the same location throughout the entire time. Kearney upon his arrival was a frontier town--a straggling village of about one thousand population. There was no street lighting, no paving and the part of the town that lies in the vicinity of the depot was built on stilts. He has witnessed the transformation of this little frontier village into a modern city with all the advantages and opportunities known to the enterprising western metropolis, and in the work of progress and development he has borne his part, his labors being directly resultant along lines of continued growth, development and improvement.
Mr. Hawthorne is of Canadian birth. He first opened his eyes to the light of day at Thorold on the 23d of June, 1853, his parents being Sampson and Ann (Curry) Hawthorne. The father was a miller by occupation and in 1866 came to the United States, settling at Cedar Rapids, Iowa, where he and his wife spent their remaining days.
It was there that James D. Hawthorne was reared to manhood and the public schools afforded him his educational privileges. After his textbooks were put aside he began learning the jeweler's trade and in 1878 when a young man of twenty-five years he removed to Kearney and cast in his lot for weal or woe with the little town that at that time did not present a very promising appearance but which he believed might become a commercial center of some importance. He began business here in a small way and the success which he as attained as
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
the years have passed by has been due to close application, indefatigable industry and thoroughly reliable business methods. He has increased his stock according to the demands of the trade and has ever maintained one of the well appointed jewelry establishments of the city.
Mr. Hawthorne was married in 1875 to Miss Linnie Gwinn, who died leaving four children: Nellie, now the wife of Verne Black; Lillian, the wife of C. W. Stoufer; Jay G.; and Karl S. For his second wife Mr. Hawthorne chose Miss Clara F. Gillmann, whom he wedded in February, 1907. He is a Knight Templar Mason, a member of the Mystic Shrine, and also a member of the Order of the Eastern Star, of which he is a past grand patron. In religious belief he is a Protestant. He belongs to the Kearney Commercial Club and cooperates in all of its plans and projects for the upbuilding and development of the city. He is ever a courteous, affable, genial gentleman, quiet and unassuming in manner, but possessed of those sterling qualities which win respect and honor in every land and clime. His business integrity is above question and his entire commercial career has been based upon the old adage that honesty is the best policy.
JASPER F. WALKER.
Jasper F. Walker, of Shelton, has practiced law for about a quarter of a century and has gained a distinctly creditable place in his profession. He was born in Hancock county, Indiana, on the 13th of September, 1847, a son of Wiley and Eliza (Moore) Walker, natives respectively of North Carolina and Vermont. The mother's birth occurred on the 8th of October, 1820, and when fourteen years of age she removed to Indiana, where she began teaching at the age of sixteen. Wiley Walker left North Carolina in 1833, when sixteen years of age, and went to Indiana, where he remained until his demise on the 15th of December, 1862. His wife survived for many years, dying on the 17th of August, 1901, when almost eighty years of age, but never remarried.
That branch of the Walker family to which our subject belongs is of Scotch origin and has been traced back to the seventeenth or eighteenth century to a General Walker, who commanded at the siege of Derby. Robert Walker emigrated to America before the Revolutionary war and settled in North Carolina, where his son, Robert Walker II, was born and grew to manhood. He was married on the 7th of June, 1777; and became the father of Robert Walker III, who had a family of sixteen children, thirteen of whom grew to mature years and accompanied their father on his removal to Hancock county, Indiana, in the early '30s. Most of them settled in that county and reared large families and there are yet many representatives of the name there.
Jasper F. Walker received his education at the Battle Ground Collegiate Institute in Battle Ground, Indiana, a town which has grown up on the site of the battle of Tippecanoe. For some time he engaged in teaching school, following that profession in both Indiana and Nebraska. He removed to the latter state in March, 1870, and settled o a homestead in Hall county, where he lived until 1889, when he became a resident of Shelton, Buffalo county. He abandoned teaching for the practice of law and for about twenty-five years has been a
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
member of the Nebraska bar. He has an intimate knowledge of statute law and precendent, and the power of convincing argument makes his legal learning effective. He takes great pains in the preparation of his cases and his record shows that he has won a large percentage of favorable verdicts.
Mr. Walker was married on the 9th of March, 1870, to Miss Joann McCord, a daughter of Elias and Eliza McCord, of Hancock county, Indiana. Her father was one of the leading farmers of that county and was also active in public affairs, serving for several years as a member of the board of county commissioners. He passed away in 1901, after surviving his wife for three decades, her demise having occurred in 1871. Mrs. Walker was born October 10, 1849, and received her education in the common schools of the Hoosier state. By her marriage she had become the mother of three children: Sylvia Myrtle, now Mrs. George W. Dawson; Daisy E, the wife of Edward L. Stubblefield; and Jesse C., who married Agnes M. Mundle.
Mr. Walker supports the candidates and measures of the republican party as he believes that its policies are based upon sound principles of government. In 18091 he became a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen and since 1897 has belonged to the Loyal Mystic Legion. His religious faith is indicated by the fact that he holds membership in the Methodist Episcopal church. When but sixteen years of age he joined the Indiana Legion, which was a military organization formed subsequent to Morgan's raid of Indiana for the purpose of preventing a repetition of the raid. He has always manifested a praiseworthy concern for the public good and has been willing to cooperate in the furtherance of projects for the advancement of his community and state.
LOUIS A. KOEPPE.
Louis A. Koeppe, known far and wide as an auctioneer and also engaged in the handling of new and second-hand merchandise at Kearney, was born at Neenah, Wisconsin, August 19, 1870, and was one of a family of six children, four of whom are now living, whose parents were Bernhardt and Dorothy (Schnella) Koeppe, natives of Germany. Both were born and reared in the vicinity of Berlin and in that country the father learned and followed the milling businesss. About the year 1866 he came to America and for a time engaged in carpentering in Wisconsin, but his later life was devoted to general agricultural pursuits. He removed from Wisconsin to Boulder, Colorado, but in the fall of 1872 bought a team of mares and a prairie schooner and, joining a wagon train in which were twenty-three other teams, traveled eastward through an Indian infested country until he finally reached Buffalo county, Nebraska. Here he secured both a homestead and timber claim in Divide township and thereon resided for many years, passing through the usual experiences incident to frontier life. He lived there during the period of Indian scares and the grasshopper plague and the drought, all of which entailed hardships that are utterly unknown in the present generation and of which they can form no adequate conception. It was a time which tried men's souls, for in a measure life was unsafe and, moreover, the early settlers had to see all their work upon the farms count for naught,
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
for the grasshoppers descended upon their crops, leaving nothing green. Mr. Koeppe finally went to California, where he passed away in 1897.
Louis A. Koeppe had none of the advantages offered the boy of the present day--the opportunities to secure an education and learn a trade or receive other business equipment. He was reared to manhood on the old homestead claim which his father had entered from the government and was put to work when but a child, having to bear his part in the burden of contributing to the general support of the family. When eleven years of age his mother died and there thus devolved upon him those burdens which would have been relieved had he had a mother's counsel and care.
At nineteen years of age Mr. Koeppe embarked in the livestock business and was gaining a good start when the bank at Kearney, in which his money was deposited, failed and left him without a dollar. He gathered together from his wrecked fortune sufficient means to take him to Bozeman, Montana, where, with a capital of less than one hundred dollars he embarked in the new and second-hand merchandise business. He there resided until 1899, with the exception of about a year during that period, which he spent in Buffalo county. It was during this time that he began crying sales and, possessing natural aptitude for the work, he soon won a reputation as an auctioneer and his services were more and more in demand in that connection. For the last seventeen years he has lived in Kearney and has engaged in the handling of new and second-hand merchandise in connection with the crying of sales. In the occupation of auctioneering he has become widely and favorably known, not only in Buffalo but throughout many of the adjacent counties. His life has been one of unfaltering industry, his entire career being characterized by hard work and close application.
In 1897 occurred the marriage of Mr. Koeppe and Miss Minnie Schiffmann, of Butte, Montana, and to them has been born a son, Arthur S. The family is well known in Kearney, where they have resided for about two decades, and Mr. Koeppe has a wide acquaintance throughout the state. He has an abundance of vitality, a breezy manner, energy and alertness. He is quick at repartee, and his ready word has been an important asset in his success.
Orlando McConnaughey, who owns an excellent farm on section 24, Gibbon township, adjoining the town of Gibbon, at one time held title to seven hundred and fifty acres of excellent land but has now disposed of a part of his property. He was born near Hillsboro, in Highland county, Ohio, on the 21st of December, 1847, a son of Andrew and Mary (Vance) McConnaughey, both natives of Pennsylvania. They were reared and married in that state but subsequently removed to a farm in Highland county, Ohio, where they resided until called by death.
Orlando McConnaughey was educated in the district schools and during his boyhood and youth also received valuable training in farm work through assisting his father. In the spring of 1870 he purchased a small farm in his native county and engaged in its operation until 1882, when he decided to take advantage of the opportunities in the rapidly developing state of Nebraska and accordingly