came to Buffalo county, buying a section of land in Shelton township. Some time later he purchased his present home farm adjoining the town of Gibbon, which at one time comprised seven hundred and fifty acres. He has since disposed of a part of this place but still owns three hundred and twenty acres. He has been very successful, his well directed labors yielding him substantial returns annually, and he ranks among the well-to-do men of his township.
Mr. McConnaughey was married on the 13th of January, 1870, to Miss Julia A. Wilcoxon, who was born near Freeport, Illinois. They have become the parents of five children, of whom three survive, namely: Thena C., the wife of W. Boyd Smith, of Omaha; Hattie B., who married J. N. Ashburn, owner of the Gibbon mills; and Effie C., the wife of O. J. Milius, of Ralston, this state.
The republican party has a stanch adherent in Mr. McConnaughey, but he has never sought office, preferring to discharge his civic duties as a private citizen. He holds membership in Granite Lodge, No. 189, A. F. & A. M., and in Nebraska Consistory, No. 1, A. & A. S. R., of Omaha. Both he and his wife are identified with the Baptist church and he has served as a member of the board of trustees, thus giving proof of his interest in the work of the organization. His life has conformed to high standards of morality, and his many admirable qualities have gained him the respect and warm regard of those who have been associated with him.
VICTOR L. JOHNSON.
Victor L. Johnson, cashier of the Shelton State Bank, has gained a place among the bankers of Buffalo county that is distinctly creditable to his ability and enterprise. He was born on the 20th of April, 1883, of the marriage of Nelson W. and Agnes C. (Hare) Johnson, both of whom were born in the state of New York, where the father passed away and where the mother is still living. They became the parents of six children, of whom one is deceased.
Victor L. Johnson was reared and educated in the Empire state and remained there until 1902, when, as a young man of about nineteen years, he came to Shelton, Buffalo county, Nebraska, and entered the Shelton Bank as assistant cashier, which office he held until 1905, when he went to Heartwell. He was cashier of the Heartwell State Bank until 1912, in which year he accepted the position of cashier of the Shelton State Bank, in which capacity he is still serving. He is not only thoroughly familiar with banking routine but also understands the underlying principles of banking and keeps in touch with financial conditions throughout this section and in fact throughout the country at large. Under his management the bank has paid good dividends and has also furnished ample security to the stockholders and depositors. He has gained a measure of success that many a man older than he might well envy and he owns his comfortable and attractive residence.
Mr. Johnson was married in 1907 to Miss Marie Reasoner, who was born in Ashland, Nebraska, and they have become the parents of a daughter, Anna Marie, born September 28, 1913. Mr. Johnson gives his political support to the republican party and is now town treasurer. He belongs to Shelton Lodge, No. 99,
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
F. & A. M., in which he has filled all of the chairs, and in religious faith both he and his wife are Presbyterians. They are well known and have many warm friends, who esteem them highly for their admirable traits of character.
CASSIUS B. MANUEL.
Many tangible evidences of the public spirit of Cassius B. Manuel can be given and so far-reaching and important has been his work in behalf of the community in which he lives that no history of Buffalo county would be complete without the record of his life. He was born in McKean county, Pennsylvania, on the 28th of January, 1860, and during his infancy was taken by his parents to Missouri, in which state his early years were passed. His father, Benjamin F. Manuel, was a son of Francis Manuel, a native of Portugal, in which country the family name was Emmanuel. Benjamin F. Manuel was born at Eastport, Maine, and after serving an apprenticeship of seven years in Rochester, New York, became a contractor and builder. He wedded Anna Barclay, a native of Shippen, New York, and of English ancestry, being a direct descendant of Sir Robert Barclay. While in Missouri the family resided at Mexico, Macon City, and at Glenwood, and it was during this time that Mr. Manuel enlisted for service in the Union cause, becoming a member of Company H, Third Iowa Cavalry. He was honorably discharged in 1863 owing to injuries sustained in. the service and returned to Missouri, where he engaged in contracting and building. He also gave some attention to farming and likewise established a brickyard, which he operated with the aid of his sons. In September, 1872, he removed with his family to Howard county, Nebraska, where he homesteaded a claim, residing thereon until the death of his wife, which occurred in 1887. Later he removed to California, where he passed away in 1900.
Cassius B. Manuel was little more than twelve years of age when the family removed to Nebraska. His youthful days were spent in helping with the work of the home farm and making brick. He well remembers the grasshopper plague and the later droughts when the springtime promise of harvests was utterly destroyed and the farmers had to face the condition of passing through season after season without harvesting any crops.
When seventeen years of age Cassius B. Manuel spent a season with his father and a brother in the Black Hills engaged in mining, in conducting a store, in freighting supplies for the miners and in avoiding the hostile Indians. His educational training was completed in the State Normal College at Peru, Nebraska, and in 1882 he taught his first school, which was near Clarks, Nebraska. A large proportion of his subsequent life has been devoted to educational work and, having been elected superintendent of the schools of Howard county, he served in that position for four years. He has proven a most able educator, imparting readily and clearly to others the knowledge that he has acquired, and his efforts have been an important element in advancing the school system of the state.
In early boyhood Mr. Manuel became deeply interested in politics, at which period his enthusiasm found expression in carrying a torch in political parades. For a time he was editorial writer on the St. Paul Phonograph and afterward
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
became the owner of the St.-Paul Press. At a subsequent date he purchased the Phonograph and consolidated the two papers under the name of the Phonograph-Press. In conducting that journal he attained wide renown as a trenchant, forceful newspaper writer and his paper became an important factor in shaping political belief. His activities also extended in other directions, for he became one of the organizers of the Farmers Alliance and the populist party. In 1906 he was chosen chairman of the populist state central committee, in which position he served for six years. By appointment of Governor Shallenberger he became superintendent of the State Industrial School for Boys at Kearney in 1009 and two years later was reappointed, because of his fitness for the position, by Governor Aldrich, who was of another political faith. The school was in a deplorable condition when Mr. Manuel became superintendent, sanitary conditions were very bad, the morale of the school was at a low ebb and it was conducted much after the manner of a penal institution. There was also an utter lack of harmony between the officers and the boys. Mr. Manuel at once set about to improve these conditions and bring order out of chaos. Modern scientific methods improved the sanitation; the boys were no longer treated as felons and a bond of sympathy and helpfulness between officers and boys wrought a marked change for the better. In fact, in every way a great advancement was made from a humanitarian standpoint; an honor system was inaugurated which had much to do with the improvement, for the boys felt that fidelity to the school standards brought returns. In fact, the honor system and the furlough introduced by Mr. Manuel resulted in reducing the number of runaways and incorrigibles to a minimum. For four years Mr. Manuel continued at the head of this institution to its lasting good, to his own personal credit and to the satisfaction of all concerned. Since that time he has been secretary, treasurer and business manager of the Denzler-Manuel Furniture Company of Kearney, of which he was one of the organizers.
On the 4th of May, 1886, Mr. Manuel was united in marriage to Miss Etta Imes, and to them have been born four children: Bessie; Ruth, now the wife of Walter E. Wade of Downs, Kansas; Ruby R.; and Cassius Barclay, who died July 4,1910.
Mr. Manuel is a Knight Templar Mason and is also identified with the Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. His has been a well spent life fraught with good results for the benefit of his fellow townsmen and characterized by broad humanitarianism. His course commends him to the honor and regard of all and wherever he is known he is spoken of in terms of high regard.
O. E. LOWELL.
The operation of five hundred acres of excellent land which he owns affords O. E. Lowell scope for his energy and enterprise, and his well directed labors yield him a large financial return. A native of Missouri, he was born on the 12th of January, 1862, of the marriage of Luther K. and Sarah Jane (Kirk) Lowell; who were born respectively in Ohio and Michigan. The father served in the Union army during the Civil war and died while at the front. Later the mother married Abram Barrett, of Wisconsin, and in the fall of 1871 they removed to
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
Buffalo county, Nebraska, where she passed away. Our subject is the youngest of three children, the others being: George L., a resident of Colorado; and Maria E., the wife of P. E. Mundal, of Hailey, Idaho.
O. E. Lowell attended the common schools in his boyhood but when fourteen years of age began supporting himself. After working as a farm hand for a few years he rented land and later took up a homestead, in Hitchcock county, Nebraska. In 1889 he sold that place and coming to Buffalo county, purchased his present home farm on section 10, Platte township. He proved successful as a farmer from the first and as the years passed he invested his savings in additional land and has acquired title to five hundred acres, all of which is well improved. He raises both grain and stock but gives the greater part of his attention to the latter branch of his business. He is also financially interested in the Farmers Elevator Company at Gibbon.
Mr. Lowell was married in 1884 to Miss Sarah Zimmerman, and they have become the parents of nine children, namely: Rhoda, deceased; Nettie B. at home; Richard, residing at Kearney; Elsie M., the wife of Chester Smith; Otto E.; Elton E., at home; Reuben; Ruth L.; and Jessie E.
Mr. Lowell exercises his right of franchise in support of the democratic party and for more than twenty years he has held the offices of justice of the peace and school director. Fraternally he belongs to the Workmen and the Grange, and both he and his wife are identified with the United Brethern church--associations which indicate much concerning his interests. His business ability and integrity are generally recognized, and personally he is popular.
EDWIN A. MILLER.
Edwin A. Miller, conducting business as a funeral director at Kearney, is well known in Buffalo county, where he has been active in public affairs, serving at one time as county clerk. He was born in Dayton, Ohio, January 26, 1860, and is one of the tour surviving children in a family of seven, born of the marriage of Frederick Miller and Lydia Aley, who were natives of Maryland and Ohio respectively. The father was a farmer by occupation and Edwin A. Miller was reared upon the old home farm. His educational opportunities were only such as could be obtained in the district schools and even then he could attend only in the winter seasons, as his services were needed, in the work of the fields through the summer months. When eighteen years of age he began learning the carpenter's trade but still continued to make his home with his parents. He was identified with building operations and with farming for one year prior to 1884. On the 31st day of March, 1883, both his parents died of typhoid pneumonia, within fifteen minutes of each other.
In the following March Mr. Miller came west to Kearney, Nebraska, and at once began work at the carpenter's trade in this city, continuing to follow that occupation until 1891. During the succeeding two years he was connected with the implement business. In 1894 he was engaged in the grain and feed business, during the period when corn sold as low as eight cents per bushel, and other grains brought proportionate prices. He stored away thousands of bushels and in
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
December, 1901, he sold his corn and for four years thereafter was deputy county clerk under A. V. Offill. In the fall of 1905 he was the successful nominee of the republican party for the office of county clerk and after acceptably serving for a term of two years his record was accorded public indorsement in a reelection, so that his connection with the office covered four years as deputy and four additional years as clerk. He retired from the position on the 3ist of December, 1909, with an excellent record, his course being marked by systematic methods, capability and unfaltering fidelity. While yet filling the office of clerk in 1908 he opened an undertaking establishment, which he conducted for about a year through an employe but since January, 1909, he has given his undivided attention to the business and that he might better serve the public he took a course in a Cincinnati college of embalming, from which he was granted a diploma in May, 1910.
On the 8th of October; 1889, Mr. Miller was united in marriage to Miss Phoebe A. Herbert, and to them have been born five children: Pearl E., the wife of Harry T. Troupe; Florence A., the wife of Emil R. Parks; one who died in infancy; Alberta M., who died at the age of seven and a half years; and Clara Bell.
Mr. and Mrs. Miller are members of the Presbyterian church and he is an Odd Fellow, belonging to the subordinate lodge, encampment and the Rebekahs. He is also serving as major of the First Battalion of the Second Regiment of the Patriarchs Militant of that order. He has attained the Royal Arch degree in Masonry and is a member of the Eastern Star, while on the membership rolls of a number of insurance fraternal organizations his name is also found. He has served consecutively for seventeen years as secretary of the Nebraska State Volunteer Firemen's Association, he has led a busy and useful life characterized by advancement along material lines and by fidelity to every duty. He has a wide acquaintance and the favorable regard of many friends and in Kearney is accounted a representative citizen.
FRED C. SCOTT.
Fred C. Scott, a prosperous hardware and furniture merchant of Kearney whose business methods measure up to modern commercial standards and exemplify the progressive spirit of the age, was born in Decatur county, Iowa, December 5, 1861. His father, Josiah A. Scott, was a native of Ohio, where he grew to manhood. He afterward became a resident of Pleasanton, Decatur county, Iowa, settling there just prior to the Civil war, and he was there engaged in mercantile pursuits. While residing in that city he wedded Mary Bowman, a representative of an old Virginia family, and after two children had been born in them they removed to Indiana, the father engaging in merchandising at Middletown, that state, for a time. Finally, however, he went to Anamosa, Iowa, with his family and there passed away in the year 1892. His widow survives, yet making her home in that city.
Fred C. Scott inherited many of his father's sterling attributes of character and business ability. In his boyhood he became assistant in his father's hardware
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
store and learned from him the old adage that honesty is the best policy and that the road to success is along the line of upright dealing. He learned too that correct valuation must be placed upon opportunity, industry and determination. His literary education was acquired in the schools of Middletown, Indiana, and of Anamosa, Iowa, supplemented by a course in a commercial college in Chicago. In March, 1888, he arrived in Nebraska and for seventeen years was engaged in the hardware business at David City. While there he organized the David City Telephone Company, of which he was the sole owner, this being one of the earliest in the independent telephone field in this state.
In the year 1905 Mr. Scott removed to Kearney and since that time has made this city his home, his attention being given to the furniture and hardware trade. He has a well appointed store, carrying a large and carefully selected line in both departments, and his earnest efforts to please his patrons, his reasonable prices and his straightforward dealing have been the salient features in his growing success. He is courteous and obliging and his life record proves that prosperity and an honored name may be won simultaneously.
On the 25th of September, 1890, Mr. Scott was united in marriage to Miss Ella Prentice, of Anamosa, Iowa, and to them have been born three children: Ruth Alda, Mary Elizabeth and Cree Prentice. The religious faith of the family is that of the Methodist church, in which the parents and children hold membership. Mr. Scott belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and his political indorsement is given to the democratic party. Anyone meeting him face to face would know at once that he is an individual embodying all the elements of what, in this country, we term "a square man," one in whom to have confidence, a dependable man in any relation and in any emergency. He has never hesitated to take a forward step when the way is open and, though content with what he has attained as he has gone along, he has always been ready to make an advance. Fortunate in possessing ability and character that inspire confidence in others, the simple weight of his character and ability have carried him into important relations.
LEWIS A. WIGHT.
Lewis A. Wight, of Gibbon, who is proving very efficient as the mail carrier of rural route No. 2, was born in Henry county, Illinois, on the 4th of October, 1860. His parents, William K, and Sophia (Eastman) Wight, were natives respectively of Lake county, Ohio, and of New York state. Their marriage occurred in the Empire state, whence, in 1858, they removed to Henry county, Illinois, where the father engaged in farming until 1886, when he came with his family to this county and located upon a farm in Gibbon township. At length he put aside the work of the fields and removed to Gibbon, where his demise occurred December 9, 1903. To him and his wife were born seven children, of whom six sons survive.
Lewis A. Wight remained at home for a number of years after attaining his majority and devoted his time to assisting his father, but following his marriage in 1891 he assumed charge of the operation of the homestead. He farmed success-
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
fully until 1905. He was then made carrier on route No. 3, but subsequently transferred to No. 2 and removed to Gibbon, where he has since lived. Although he gives the greater part of his time to the discharge of his duties as mail carrier, he still owns eighty acres of land in Buffalo county and eighty acres in Saskatchewan, Canada, from which he derives a gratifying financial return. He also holds title to his comfortable residence in Gibbon.
Mr. Wight was married in 1891 to Miss Minnie Fulmer, a native of New York and a daughter of D. M. and Ellen E. (Longstreet) Fulmer, who were born in that state but in 1880 came to this county. The father purchased land here and devoted the remainder of his life to its cultivation. The mother is still living. Mrs. Wight is one of a family of five children, all of whom survive. Mr. and Mrs. Wight have no children of their own but have an adopted son, Clyde F., who is now attending the local high school.
Mr. Wight supports the republican party and has served as a member of the town board. He has also served several years as member of the library board. Fraternally he belongs to the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and both he and his wife attend the services of the Methodist Episcopal church. During the many years of their residence in this county they have gained a wide gcquaintanceship and have made and retained a host of friends.
Among the residents of Kearney who have been enabled to put aside the onerous duties of business life is Christian Jacobson, who for a considerable period was identified with agricultural pursuits and afterward engaged in the cement contracting business. His indefatigable energy and intelligently directed effort brought him the success which now enables him to rest from further labor. He was born in Denmark on the 19th of March, 1846, and there spent the period of his boyhood and youth, his time being largely devoted to the acquirement of an education. In May, 1866, when a young man of twenty years, he landed at New York after a six weeks' voyage upon the Atlantic. He then made his way to New Jersey, where for three months he was employed in a brickyard and on the expiration of that period he removed to Davenport, Iowa, and later to Illinois, where he was employed as a farm hand for two years. He afterward spent four months in Omaha, Nebraska, and then returned to his old home in Denmark, where he served for two years in the regular army and was also employed for two years. The lure of America, however, was upon him and, returning to Illinois, he secured employment on the farm on which he had previously worked for two years. His second engagement covered seven years and during the last year of that time he acted as foreman. Saving his money, for he was ambitious to engage in business on his own account, he came to Buffalo county in 1879 and purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land in Divide township. This was railroad land for which he paid five dollars per acre. With characteristic energy he began to develop the wild prairie tract, added many modern improvements and brought his fields to a high state of cultivation. He continued to follow farming and stock raising successfully for many years and the sale of his crops, adding to his
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
income, enabled him to purchase more land from time to time until he became the owner of eight hundred acres, which he successfully cultivated until 1904, when he turned the farm over to his sons and retired from active agricultural life. Removing to Kearney, he then engaged in the cement contracting business, building sidewalks for about five years, during which time he put in miles and miles of sidewalk and curbing. He was accorded a very liberal patronage in that connection but at length put aside active business cares to enjoy a rest which he had richly earned and fully deserves.
Mr. Jacobson has been married twice. On the 9th of March, 1875, he wedded Miss Charlotta Peterson, who was born in Sweden and came to the United States in 1872. By her marriage she became the mother of seven children, as follows: Johanna, who is the wife of William Culloch and lives in Colorado; Frederick William, who resides on his father's farm; Eliza, who gave her hand in marriage to Ed. S. Shovlain, of Buffalo county, Nebraska; Carl A., who lives on his father's farm; Walter C., a resident of Montana; Martin Elmer, who makes his home in Idaho; and Laura, who is the wife of Charles Robbins, a miller of this county. The wife and mother passed away in July, 1911, and on the 7th of October, 1914, Mr. Jacobson was again married, his second union being with Miss Mary Kellam, who was born in Yorkshire, England, and emigrated to the United States when about sixteen years of age. In 1886 she took up her abode in Kansas and in the year 1889 came to Kearney, Nebraska.
Mr. and .Mrs. Jacobson attend the Episcopal church, Mrs. Jacobson having been the organist there for years, and he exercises his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of the democratic party. He has served as school director and was assessor for thirteen years and in all matters of citizenship maintains a public-spirited attitude, supporting those plans and measures which he deems of greatest value to the community. Actuated by a laudable ambition, he has ever worked his way steadily upward and in his business career has used only constructive methods, his path having never been strewn with the wreck of other men's failures. Industry has been his watchword and it has brought him success.
Emory Wyman is now living retired at Gibbon but for many years was actively identified with agricultural and with creamery interests. He has now passed the eighty-first milestone on life's journey, his birth having occurred at Jamestown, New York, July 3, 1834. His parents were Ezra and Emeline (Seymour) Wyman, who were also natives of New York. On leaving that state they removed to Michigan, where they lived for eleven years and then became residents of Wisconsin. Subsequently they returned to Jamestown, New York, where they resided until 1861, when they once more went to Wisconsin, where their remaining days were passed. In their family were eleven children, of whom six brothers served in defense of the Union during the Civil war. Two of the number died while at the front defending the stars and stripes and four of them are now on the pension roll of the country.
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
Emory Wyman started out to earn his own living when but a little lad of seven years. His youthful days were largely spent in Wisconsin and his boyhood was a period of earnest and unremitting toil in which he had few advantages, educational or otherwise. The need of his country aroused his patriotic spirit in 1861 and he offered his services to the government, enlisting as a member of Company A, Sixth Wisconsin Infantry, with which he remained until 1862, when he joined the Nineteenth Wisconsin Regiment and so served until 1864. Although he participated in a number of the most hotly contested engagements of the war, he was never wounded, nor was he ill in the hospital. In July, 1864, he was overcome by the heat and never saw his regiment after that. When he had partially recovered he was assigned to light duty as an invalid.
After being mustered out in Maryland Mr. Wyman returned to Wisconsin, where he resided until 1880. He then removed to Clinton county, Iowa, where he lived for one year and during that period had charge of four creameries. In 1882 he arrived in Shelton, Nebraska, and settled upon a farm in that locality, devoting eighteen years to general agricultural pursuits. He then returned to the village of Shelton, where he made his home until 1906, when he came to Gibbon, where he has since lived.
Mr. Wyman has been married twice. In 1865 he wedded Miss Orra Tyler, by whom he had six children, as follows: Albert L., superintendent of the county farm of Buffalo county; Bernett, who is also a resident of this county; Delia, who is the wife of John Icke, of Madison, Wisconsin; Frankie, who gave her hand in marriage to Dr. J. E. Mettlin, of Bloomfield, Nebraska; Grace, living in Madison, Wisconsin, who is superintendent of the rural schools of Dane county, that state; and Cassius, deceased. The wife and mother passed away in 1902 and the following year Mr. Wyman was again married, his second union being with Mrs. Margaret Henry, of Chicago. The latter is a devoted and consistent member of the Christian church.
Mr. Wyman belongs to the Grand Army post at Shelton and thus maintains pleasant relations with his military comrades. In politics he is a republican and for years served as a member of the school board, while in 1889 he was elected to represent his district in the state legislature. In former years he took an active interest in politics and gave earnest aid and support to many measures for the public good, but at the present time he is largely leaving all political as well as business activities to others. However he still feels an interest in affairs of the day and notably for one of his years keeps in touch with the trend of modern thought and progress. He is now one of the venerable citizens of the county--a man whose well spent life has made him worthy the goodwill and respect which are accorded him.
RICHARD P. ZIMMERMAN.
Among the progressive and efficient farmers of Shelton township is Richard P. Zimmerman, who owns an excellent farm on section 21. He was born in Schuylkill county, Pennsylvania, on the 25th of November, 1861, and is a son of Adam W. and Louise E. (Miller) Zimmerman, natives of Pennsylvania, who
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
removed with their family to Buffalo county, Nebraska, in the fall of 1871. The father homesteaded land on section 28, Shelton township, and devoted his time to its cultivation and improvement until his demise on the 5th of September, 1908. The mother survives and still lives on the homestead.
Richard P. Zimmerman was ten years of age at the time of the removal to this state and received the greater part of his education in the district schools of Buffalo county. About 1885 or 1886 he took charge of the home farm and also operated rented land. Several years previously, in 1882, he had purchased eighty acres on section 21, Shelton township, but he continued to live on the home place until 1909, when he removed to his farm on section 21. He has added to his holdings from time to time and now owns two hundred and eighty acres of valuable land. He derives a good income from his agricultural pursuits and is also a stockholder in the Independent Telephone Company of Shelton.
In 1892 Mr. Zimmerman was married to Miss Phillipena Vohland, of Shelton township, a daughter of Lawrence Vohland, a well known farmer. Six children have been born to this union, of whom five survive, namely: Irl R. L., Alva G., Reuel B, Lila G. and Lulu C, all of whom are at home. Blanch is deceased.
Mr. Zimmerman takes the interest of a good citizen in public affairs and in casting his ballet votes according to the dictates of his judgment and not according to party lines. He and his wife are both members of the United Brethren church and can be depended upon to aid in the furtherance of its work. He has based his success upon industry, the careful planning of his work, and integrity and the prosperity which he has gained is well deserved.
TIMOTHY J. TODD, D. D. S.
Dr. Timothy J. Todd, actively engaged in the practice of dentistry in Kearney and also extending his professional efforts into other fields, is a son of Edwin R. and Mary Ellen (Thomas) Todd. In 1856 his father homesteaded four miles west of Plattsmouth and the farm which he there developed is still owned by the family and is being operated by his youngest son. In the family were seven sons, one of whom, G. W. Todd, is a dentist of Omaha, Nebraska. Another has passed away, while the other four are following farming.
Of this number Dr. Timothy J. Todd was born in Plattsmouth, Nebraska, on the 5th of March, 1879, and there spent the days of his boyhood and youth, attending the public and high schools. Determining upon a professional career, he entered the Omaha Dental College, from which he was graduated in 1903. He then began practice at Wahoo, Nebraska, where he remained until 1912, when he came to Kearney and has here since followed his profession.
On the 2g5th of May, 1904. Dr. Todd was married to Miss Minta Mauzy, of Plattsmouth, Nebraska, who was born in Virginia but was reared and educated in Plattsmouth. One son has been born of this marriage, Henri Edwin, ten years of age.
Dr. Todd is very prominent in fraternal circles, being identified with a number of organizations which are based upon the principle of mutual brotherliness and
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
kindliness. He belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, the Knights of Pythias, the Dramatic Order of the Knights of Khorassan, the Woodmen of the World, the .Modern Woodmen of America, the Knights and Ladies of Security and the Ancient Order of United Workmen. His political allegiance is given to the republican party but he neither seeks nor desires public office, preferring to concentrate his energies upon his business affairs. He holds membership in the district, state and national dental societies and thus .keeps in touch with the advanced thought of the profession. He has the latest improved instruments and appliances to facilitate his work and his mechanical skill and ingenuity are an important factor in his success, while added thereto he has comprehensive knowledge of the science of his profession.
JOHN H. SNYDER.
John H. Snyder is identified with farming interests in Center township, still owning and occupying the old homestead property of eighty acres on section 6. Mr. Snyder has always been a progressive and public-spirited citizen and his loyalty to the country was manifest by his valiant service in the Civil war. He has now passed the eighty-first milestone on life's journey, his birth having occurred in Germany, October 10, 1835, his parents being Valentine and Anna Snyder, who were natives of the fatherland and there spent their entire lives. They had a family of six children, all born in Germany.
John H. Snyder came to America when but twelve years of age with an uncle, who located at Wheeling, West Virginia. After two years Mr. Snyder removed to Ohio, where he continued until 1861, when, in response to the country's call for aid to crush out the rebellion in the south, he offered his services to the government, enlisting as a member of Company A, Eighteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, with which he served for three and a half years. He participated in the battle of Stone River, the battle of Chickamaugua and a number of other hotly contested engagements, never faltering in the performance of his duty, whether on the firing line or stationed on the lonely picket line. On one occasion he was wounded in the left leg and at the close of the war he was mustered out at Columbus, Ohio.
Mr. Snyder continued to reside at Columbus until 1877, when he returned to Germany, where he spent about four months. He then came again to the new world and for a brief period resided in Ohio, after which he removed to Iowa. Two years later he removed to Buffalo county, Nebraska, where he has since lived, and for a considerable period he was actively identified with general agricultural pursuits. He and his wife still own the old homestead property of eighty acres which is situated on section 6, Center township. His labors brought good results in the cultivation of his fields and he gathered good harvests which returned to him a substantial annual income.
In 1882 Mr. Snyder was united in marriage to Mrs. Elenor (Rught) Henderson, a native f Pennsylvania and a daughter of Peter and Catherine (Bradley) Rught, who were likewise born in the Keystone state, whence they removed
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
to Indiana, where their remaining days were passed. Their daughter Elenor became the wife of Abram Henderson and to them were born eleven children: Ida, the wife of Edwin Frederick; John, now living in Canada; Maggie, the wife of John Wolf; Charles, whose home is in Idaho; Elizabeth, the wife of E. R. Webb; Dallas; and Effa, the wife of W. C. Beens; and four who are deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Snyder have become the parents of three children: Rosa, the wife of Charles Anderson; Albert; and Anna, at home.
Mrs. Snyder is a member of the Presbyterian church. Mr. Snyder gives his political allegiance to the republican party but has never been a politician in the sense of office seeking, preferring to concentrate his energies upon his business affairs. He has worked persistently and energetically in the development of his farm and as the years passed by his labors wrought good results and he obtained the competence which supplies him with the comforts of life in the evening of his days.
In the history of the pioneer development of Buffalo county it is imperative that mention be made of David Andrews, who was one of its earliest settlers and whose contribution to the work of development and improvement was of marked value. New England claimed him as a native son, for his birth occurred at Cabot, Vermont, August 1, 1821. He was reared upon the farm and always followed agricultural pursuits. In early manhood he wedded Elizabeth House, a daughter of Halsey House, and about the time of the close of the Civil war they removed westward to Colorado but lived there for only one season. They then returned east as far as Grinnell, Iowa, where they made their home until 1873. In that year the women of the family came to Buffalo county by rail, while the men of the family made the trip across the country by wagon. After reaching his destination David Andrews first purchased railway land and afterward secured a homestead claim which had been entered by another. This was located on Wood river in Center township. There Mr. Andrews spent the remainder of his life, concentrating his energies upon general agricultural pursuits, his labors resulting in the development of a fine farm. He was a man of but ordinary education, but worked most diligently and persistently, and was considered an excellent neighbor and friend. He lived a quiet, unostentatious life and by reason of the sterling worth of his character commanded and enjoyed the respect of all who knew him. He passed away September l, 1900, when in the eightieth year of his age, and his widow survived him until July 7, 1913, when she too passed away. She was a member of the Presbyterian church and like her husband, enjoyed the goodwill of all with whom she came in contact. They were the parents of three children: Flora E, now the wife of Lloyd D. Forehand, of Kearney; Edgar H.; and Albert, who died when ten years of age.
Edgar H. Andrews, the surviving son, was born in Williamstown, Vermont, January 3, 1855, and remained with his parents in his native state until the removal of the family to the west. He came with them to Buffalo county the year following the county's organization and his educational opportunities were