those afforded by the district schools, supplemented by a two years' course in the Gibbon high school. He took the examination and was granted a teacher's certificate, although he never actively followed the profession. He was reared to manhood much after the manner of most boys of his time, dividing his attention between the duties of the schoolroom, the pleasures of the playground and the work of the fields. For forty-three years he has been a resident of Buffalo county and has witnessed the greater part of its growth and development. The land which was originally purchased by his father at five dollars or less per acre has increased in value until it is today worth more than one hundred dollars per acre. In those days farm work was accomplished by actual manual labor but now modern inventions have largely revolutionized the methods of farm work, relieving the agriculturist of much of the drudgery which formerly devolved upon him.
On the 14th of September, 1880, Edgar H. Andrews was married to Miss Carrie Longstreet, who was born December 11, 1858, at Syracuse, New York, a daughter of of Cornelius and Esther Longstreet. In 1900 Mr. Andrews was called upon to mourn the loss of his wife, who died on the 4th of March of that year. They had become parents of two daughters, of whom the younger, Bessie, survives the mother, while the elder, Abbie, died when but eighteen months old. For his second wife Mr. Andrews chose Anna Deets, a daughter of L. S. Deets, of Kearney, and three children have been born of this marriage, Blanche, Ila Fay and Elizabeth.
Mr. Andrews was engaged in farming and stock raising, giving especial attention to handling Percheron horses and Poland China hogs, until 1910, when he removed to Kearney, where he has since resided. He is the owner of a half section of land, which is a part of his father's original purchase, in Buffalo county, and also three-quarters of a section farther west in Perkins county. His business affairs are capably conducted and enterprise and industry constitute the basis of his prosperity. In his political views he is a democrat and in the fall of 1911 he was elected county sheriff and occupied that position for three years, his terms ending in December, 1914. He belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and to the Modern Woodmen. His sterling worth is widely acknowledged and wherever he is known he is held in the warmest regard. He represents one of the old pioneer families and the work which his father began in early days he continues to the benefit of the county at large.
EDWARD R. EDWARDS.
Edward R. Edwards, engaged in the manufacture of cement blocks and stone at Kearney, is a business man of notable enterprise and determination, who has won well merited success through close application and indefatigable industry. He was born in Dodge county, Wisconsin, July 23, 1855, and was there reared and educated, spending his youthful days upon the home farm. In 1875, he arrived in Kearney and soon afterward became actively identified with farming, spending two years upon his father's land and assisting actively in its cultivation and improvement. He then returned to Kearney, where he secured employment
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
in connection with the hotel and livery business but after three years went to Denver, Colorado, where after two months he entered the employ of Webber Brothers at their lumberyard in Jefferson, Colorado, continuing in that business for a year. Later for about six months he was engaged in cutting cord wood. When he left their employ he again made his way to Buffalo county and made investment in land, purchasing a farm, upon which he lived for twelve years. He then sold that land and bought a section, on which he lived for three years, when he once more sold out and came to Kearney. Here he has since engaged in the cement business, manufacturing cement blocks and stone. He has gained a liberal patronage because of the excellence of his product and his thoroughly reliable business methods. He has taken contracts for laying miles and miles of cement walk in Kearney and his contracts are very faithfully and promptly executed.
On the 29th of December, 1886, Mr. Edwards was married to Miss Lou Blair, a native of California, and they have three children: Maude, the wife of Emil Swartz, of Kearney; Clifford E., who is associated with his father in business; and Hazel, who is in school. The parents are members of the Christian church and loyally adhere to its teachings, while, fraternally Mr. Edwards, is connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Since starting out in life in early manhood he has been dependent upon his own resources and has steadily and persistently worked his way upward, his indefatigable efforts and determination winning for him the success which is now his.
HOWARD V. MAURER.
Portraits of Parents
Howard V. Maurer, who carries on general farming on section 28, Shelton township, where he now resides with his mother, was born upon this place on the 26th of May, 1879, a son of William H. and Elizabeth A. (Worley) Maurer, the former a native of Wayne county, Ohio, and the latter of Williams county, Ohio. They were married at West Unity, that state, on the 2d of October, 1875, and about 1877 arrived in Buffalo county, Nebraska. They took up their abode in Hall county in the fall of that year and there remained until the following January, when the military reserve was placed upon the market and Mr. Maurer filed on a homestead, securing the tract of land upon which his widow and son still reside. There he remained up to the time of his death, which occurred December 31, 1907. In his political views he was a democrat but was never an office seeker. At one time he affiliated with the Masons but later, being unable to attend the meetings, he allowed his membership to lapse. He belonged to the United Brethren church, as does his wife, and throughout the community they were held in the highest esteem because of their many sterling traits of character.
Howard V. Maurer was reared upon the home farm and acquired his education in the district schools. He remained a resident of Nebraska until 1904, when he went to the Pacific coast, where he spent one year. He then returned to his native county and engaged in farming upon rented land. After two years, however, his father desired him to return home and take charge of the farm, which he did. A year later his father died and Mr. Maurer has since managed the property, cultivating one hundred and forty-five acres of land in the home place and
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
one hundred and fifty-eight acres in other sections of Shelton and Platte townships. He concentrates his energies upon the further development and improvement of the property and his progressive methods place him with the leading farmers of his part of the state.
Mr. Maurer is a member of Gibbon Lodge, No. 37, I. O. O. F. In politics he is independent, nor does he seek political advancement of any kind, being content to concentrate his energies upon his farming interests, which, wisely directed, are bringing substantial returns.
ALBERT C. BESSIE.
Albert C. Bessie, one of the early settlers of Buffalo county, came to this state in the spring of 1878. He was accompanied by his son, Charles D. Bessie, and had been preceded by his daughter, Mrs. W. H. Salisbury, who with her husband had been one of the original settlers of the Fort Kearney military reservation, coming there in 1876.
Mr. Bessie and his wife, Jemima Malvina (Gary) Bessie, were natives of the Empire state. About 1870 they removed from New York to Kane county, Illinois, where they made their home for four years and where Mr. Bessie was engaged in the dairy business. Leaving there, he and his son located in the vicinity of Crown Point, Indiana, where they farmed extensively and also carried on a dairy business, operating a butter factory and finding a ready market for their product in Chicago. Four years later they joined the daughter and sister here in Nebraska, establishing homes near hers at Kearney and both taking homesteads in Center township near the old Stone schoolhouse, which was built in the autumn following their arrival.
Having always been identified with church and Sunday school work, the three families saw in the erection of the public edifice an opportunity to secure religious privileges near home and also to be a benefit to the youth of their neighborhood, who had so far been denied such opportunities. Uniting their efforts with those of a few neighbors, a meeting was called at the schoolhouse on the first Sunday of November, 1878, and the assistance of a Sunday school missionary was secured and a Sunday school organization was effected. While most of the families around were willing to attend the school, but few people were willing or able to take a leading part. As a result the Bessie family were compelled to fill the offices or see the project fail, so the election of the first officers resulted as follows: Mrs. W. H. Salisbury, superintendent; A. C. Bessie, assistant superintendent; C. D. Bessie, secretary and librarian; and Mrs. C. D.Bessie, organist. Superintendent, assistant superintendent and organist, and Mrs. A. C. Bessie also taught classes. For some weeks the organ was provided by Mr. and Mrs. C. D. Bessie, being loaded into the wagon and taken to the schoolhouse every Sunday. Later enough money was subscribed to purchase a second hand instrument, while the library and singing books were secured from the former homes of the families in Illinois and Iowa. They were thus identified with the social and religious life of the rural community during the years of their residence in the country.
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
After living on the farm for some years the father moved to Kearney and devoted his later life to buying and shipping grain. He was a man of more than average education, capable in business and at all times taking an active and helpful interest in public affairs. In the Methodist church he was an earnest worker and loyal member and in politics he was a democrat. Perhaps his chief characteristic was his love of home. He possessed a quiet, unassuming manner and in every relation of life manifested the utmost integrity, his honesty and square dealing at all times winning him high and enduring regard. He died April 7, 1900, while his wife passed away on the 2d of August, 1908.
CHARLES D. BESSIE.
Charles D. Bessie is conducting an important and growing business at Kearney as a dealer in hay and is numbered among the representative business men of his city, for he is wide-awake, alert, enterprising and energetic. He was born in Onondaga county, New York, December 17, 1853, a son of Albert C. and Jemima Malvina (Gary) Bessie, and spent his youthful days in the three states of New York, Illinois and Indiana, accordingly as his parents moved from place to place, and through the period of his boyhood he assisted his father in farming and dairying. He began his education in the district schools and afterward had the benefit of instruction in the Elgin (Ill.) Academy. On the 8th of January, 1878, he was married at Marion, Iowa, to Miss Ella Louise Bonnelle, who had formerly been a resident of Crown Point, Indiana, where she occupied the position of clerk in the postoffice. She was a daughter of Job D. Bonnelle, who was born at Euclid, Ohio, March 23, 1816, and on the 4th of September, 1839, at West Creek, Indiana, wedded Miss Ursula Ann Jackson. He served as sheriff of Lake county at one time, was a tailor by trade and about 1840, removed to Wisconsin but later returned to Crown Point, Lake county, Indiana. After his demise his widow came to Kearney, Nebraska, passing away at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Bessie, on the 26th of March, 1899. For more than two decades she had survived her husband, whose death occurred at Lake City, Minnesota, November 15, 1878. To them were born six children, three of whom are yet living. The Bonnelles came originally from France. The father of Mrs. Ursula A. (Jackson) Bonnelle participated in the War of 1812 and one of her brothers served in the Mexican war.
Following their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Bessie started on their wedding journey, which was a trip to Buffalo county, Nebraska, Mr. Bessie bringing with him a car load of horses. At that time he had no expectation of making this his future home but, liking the country, he traded for a quarter section of land and concluded to remain. As a result he has made this his permanent place of abode. His first home was a one room house, the boards running up and down, with a lean-to shed for a kitchen. For a time Mr. and Mrs. Bessie regarded their stay in this county merely as a pleasurable outing, but later settled down to the fact that this was to be their permanent home. There was plenty of hard work to do for each, both early and late, but their home-building period was one of the happiest of their lives, as they worked on together actuated by the laudable
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
desire of becoming owners of a home that would render them independent financially. For seven years they resided upon the farm and then removed to Kearney, where Mr. Bessie was the first man to engage in the business of street sprinkling. Later he began buying and selling grain, his first equipment for that business being a scoop and a broom. Subsequently, in connection with A. G. Scott, he embarked in the elevator business, with which he was identified for about fifteen years. Since that time he has been connected with the hay trade, practically covering the period since the beginning of the growing of alfalfa. He began by furnishing hay for the railroad feed yards and since that time his business has steadily grown and developed until his shipments cover practically all the east half of the United States, extending as far south as the Mason and Dixon line, while his transactions amount to approximately twenty thousand dollars per month. He has won for himself a very creditable position in business circles as an enterprising, progressive man and it is characteristic of him that he carries forward to successful completion whatever he undertakes.
To Mr. and Mrs. Bessie have been born four children, as follows: May, who is the wife of George W. Foltz, of Osceola, Iowa, and the mother of five sons; Blanche, living in Osceola, Iowa, who is the wife of Ernest C. Temple and is mother of one son; Charles Albert, who is associated with his father in the hay business at Kearney and wedded Fredaline Maddux, by whom he has two daughters; and Frank Edmund, who resides with his parents in Kearney.
In his political views Mr. Bessie is a democrat and fraternally is connected the Knights of Pythias, the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. In the early days he was a member of the volunteer fire department at a time when his sprinkling wagon was one of the chief assets of the department. He has lived to witness much of Kearney's growth and progress and has conducted his business affairs along lines which have made his interests a feature in the material development of his adopted city.
Allen Wiseman, who is a well-to-do stock raiser, owning two hundred acres of good land in Platte township, was born in Marion county, Missouri, on the 20th of August, 1873. His parents, George and Sarah (Mauck) Wiseman, were natives of Indiana, where they were reared and married. In 1869, however, they removed to Missouri and there the mother passed away in 1873. Fifteen years later the father removed to Logan county, Nebraska, whence he came to Buffalo county, where he lived until 1900. He then went to Kansas and spent his last days there. To him and his wife were born two children, the brother of our subject being Perry Wiseman, now a resident of Kansas.
Allen Wiseman attended the normal school at Gibbon, Nebraska, after completing the public school course and when seventeen years of age began his independent career. He worked as a laborer for three years, after which he rented a farm until he had accumulated sufficient capital to enable him to buy his present place which comprises two hundred acres on section 6, Platte township. He
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
has made many improvements upon the farm and keeps everything in excellent condition, taking justifiable pride in its appearance. He engages in raising hogs principally and as his stock is of high grade he is able to sell at a good price. He manages his business affairs well and as the years have passed his capital has increased steadily.
Mr. Wiseman was married in 1902 to Miss Maud Shovel, a native of this county, by whom he has had six children: Ray N.; Maud Alice, deceased; Ralph T.; Clifford S.; Ruth G.; and Grace M.
Mr. Wiseman supports the republican party at the polls but has never had political aspirations. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at Gibbon and is loyal to the teachings of that organization. His record should serve as a stimulus to ambitious young men who are starting out in life without capital, for he had practically nothing when he began his career and by well planned labor has gained a competence.
HON. GEORGE N. SMITH.
Hon. George N. Smith is one of the retired citizens of Kearney and is one of the honored pioneer settlers, familiar with every phase of frontier life, while with the work of general improvement and development he has been closely associated in many ways, leaving the impress of his individuality upon the material progress and also upon the political history of his county. He was born in Goffstown, New Hampshire, October 30, 1843, and was there reared to farm life, while in the public schools he had the opportunity to secure a limited education. He had reached the age of twenty-one years when on the 17th of August, 1864, he responded to the country's call for troops, enlisting as a member of Company B, First New Hampshire Heavy Artillery, with which command he served until the close of the war, being on duty most of the time around the fortifications in the vicinity of Washington. He was doing detached duty when President Lincoln was assassinated, and was given charge of the squad under Major Reed to do scout duty in order to apprehend the criminal. He was honorably discharged at Concord, New Hampshire, August 17, 1865, just one year from the date of his enlistment.
Mr. Smith afterward concentrated his attention upon general fanning until October, 1871, when he came to Buffalo county and settled on section 14, Center township. This was a tract of wild and unimproved land which he entered as a homestead and which he operated for thirty-three years, carefully and persistently carrying on the work of the fields, so that his labors greatly enhanced the value of his property, which he sold in 1903 for fifty dollars per acre and which is today worth one hundred and twenty dollars per acre. He had made excellent improvements upon his land, converting it into one of the highly developed tracts of the county. Year by year he tilled the soil, raising good crops, but eventually satisfied with what he had acquired of this world's goods and feeling that his competence was sufficient to enable him to meet all of the demands of life throughout his remaining days, retired in 1903 and removed to Kearney.
On the 25th of August, 1866, in New Hampshire, Mr. Smith was married to
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
Miss Elizabeth Dunbar, who was born in Croydon, New Hampshire, October 18, 1843, and was there reared and educated. In August, 1872, they brought their family to this county, having at that time two small children, and their original home was a little sod house in which they lived in true pioneer style, sharing in all the hardships and privations incident to frontier life but making the most of their opportunities and contributing in substantial measure to the development of the community. They had five children, as follows: Minnie B., who gave her hand in marriage to John Powell, an agriculturist of Buffalo county; George William, a ranchman living in Arthur county, Nebraska; Grace P., who is the wife of Fred Ryness, of Omaha; Bert C., living in Kearney; and Arthur G., who also makes his home in Kearney. The three last named are natives of Buffalo county. Mr. and Mrs. Smith have eleven grand children. They will have been married fifty years on the 25th of August, 1916, and expect to celebrate their golden wedding.
Mr. Smith has always been deeply interested in the welfare and progress of his community and has cooperated in many plans and measures for the general good. He assisted in building the first schoolhouse in his district and took the census of the school children. He also assisted in the Sunday-school work and has put forth every effort to promote the intellectual and moral progress of the community. In fraternal circles, too, he is well known. In 1873 he became a member of Buffalo Lodge, No. 38, I. O. O. F., and with one exception is the only one identified with the lodge that was a member at that time. He is also connected with the Ancient Order of United Workmen and with Sedgwick Post, No. 1, G. A. R, and he has passed through all of the chairs in the Odd Fellows lodge and in the Grand Army post. In politics he has usually followed an independent course. About the time he attained his majority he was chosen a selectman and after he came to this county was a member of the school board for a quarter of a century, also member of the election board each year and for six years was a member of the executive board of the Soldiers' Home. About 1890 he was chosen to represent his district in the state legislature and was reelected on the populist ticket. He served for two terms, representing the district which then comprised Buffalo and Sherman counties. He gave careful consideration to each question that came up for settlement and intelligent support to those measures in which he believed, and his course at all times has been actuated by devotion to the general good. There are few residents in this part of the state who are more familiar with the story of pioneer life and conditions, for actual experience brought Mr. Smith into close touch with all the phases of the fronier, so that his memory forms a connecting link between the primitive past and progressive present.
ADOLPH E ERAZIM.
Adolph E. Erazim, the popular and efficient young cashier of the Citizens State Bank of Ravenna, was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on the 30th of November, 1883, of the marriage of Charles and Josephine (Mayer) Erazim, natives of Bohemia. In young manhood the father came to America and after
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
living in Baltimore, Maryland, for a time went to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where he was employed in a factory for a few years. Subsequently he emigrated to Kansas and after farming there for a year came to Buffalo county, Nebraska, in 1885. For two years he operated rented land, but at the end of that time possessed sufficient capital to purchase a farm in Gardner township. He devoted four years to the improvement and operation of that place, after which he sold it and bought land in Sherman county. He farmed there for several years and then went to Saline county, Nebraska, where he bought land and took up his residence, although he still retained his holdings in Sherman county. He passed away there in May, 1908, after having survived his wife for a decade, her demise having occurred in May, 1898.
Adolph E. Erazim was reared under the parental roof and received his general education in the district schools of Sherman county and in the schools of Ravenna. After completing the high school course he entered a business college at Grand Island, Nebraska, where he specialized in stenography and bookkeeping. His first position was that of stenographer for the Mason City Banking Company at Mason City, Nebraska, but after remaining there for six months his ability led to his becoming bookkeeper in the Citizens State Bank of Ravenna. In 1905 he was promoted to the position of assistant cashier and he served in that capacity until 1913, gaining a thorough knowledge of banking procedure during that time. Since 1913 he has been cashier of the bank and the steady growth of its business has been largely due to his wise management of its affairs. He keeps in close touch with local business conditions and with the trend of banking throughout the county and follows a progressive policy tempered with sufficient conservatism to protect the interests intrusted to his care.
The Citizens State Bank was organized in 1902 by John S. Skrable and William Benesh, of Elberon, Iowa, and Joseph Simon, Joseph Shebl and Edward Miner, of Buffalo county. In 1903 they sold out to L. P. Southworth and Edward Cronau, who conducted the bank for two years, after which they disposed of their interest therein to Frank McGiverin and parties from Fremont. Subsequently Mr. McGiverin sold his interest to A. T. Shellenbarger, who served as cashier until 1912, when he disposed of his stock in the bank. The present officers are: F. J. Coates, of Grand Island, president; M. L. Bonson, vice president; A. E. Erazim, cashier; H. J. Klatt, assistant cashier; and L. V. Kozel, bookkeeper. The institution is capitalized for twenty-five thousand dollars, has a surplus of five thousand dollars and deposits of one hundred and seventy-five thousand dollars, and its loans amount to about one hundred and sixty-five thousand dollars. In addition to his connection with the bank, Mr. Erazim has other business interests, representing the St. Paul Fire & Marine Insurance Company of St. Paul, Minnesota, and the Fidelity Phoenix Fire Insurance Company of New York.
In February, 1906, Mr. Erazim was united in marriage to Miss Bella Hlava, a daughter of Joseph B. and Josephine (Lokijeck) Hlava, natives of Bohemia. The father, who was a tailor, emigrated to America in early manhood and followed his trade in Chicago for a time. He then went to Wisconsin and purchased land, which he cultivated until 1886, when he came to Buffalo county, Nebraska. For a number of years he worked at his trade here and then purchased land a half mile west of Ravenna. He operated that place until 1909,
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
when he sold and removed to Ravenna, where he has since lived retired. His wife also survives. Mr. and Mrs. Erazim have a daughter, Jane J., who was born on the 14th of August, 1914. The family home is a commodious modern residence on Upper Appian avenue.
Mr. Erazim supports the republican party at the polls, as he believes in its principles, and he has been called to public office, having served for six years as treasurer of Garfield township and for five years as treasurer of Ravenna, which office he holds at present. He is identified with the Knights of Pythias and for two years served as keeper of the records and seals. His religious faith is that of the Congregational church. He speaks two languages fluently, is affable and courteous in his business relations and is very popular with the patrons of the bank. He has already gained an enviable measure of prosperity and his many friends predict a still greater success for him in the future.
FRANK ASHTON PACKARD, M. D.
Dr. Frank Ashton Packard is a prominent and able physician of Kearney, where he has practiced his profession continuously and successfully during the past three decades. His birth occurred in St. Lawrence county, New York, on the 9th of July, 1853, his parents being Edson Allen and Mary (Bosford) Packard, natives of New York and Vermont respectively. By occupation the father was an agriculturist. The maternal grandmother of Edson A. Packard was an Alden, descended from John and Priscilla Alden. The Packards were originally from England but for many generations have lived in America.
Frank A. Packard was reared on the home farm and in the acquirement of his education attended the public schools and an academy at Canton, New York. Subsequently he began reading medicine with Dr. H. O. Bartlett of Milton Falls, Vermont, whose wife was his cousin and with whom he made his home. While still residing at Milton Falls he attended lectures at the medical department of the University of Vermont in Burlington, twenty miles distant. He was graduated from that institution on his twentieth birthday and in the same year--1873--came west, locating at Monmouth, Iowa, where he followed his profession for six years. On the expiration of that period he removed to Anamosa, Iowa, and there remained as a medical practitioner for seven years. On the 1st of September, 1886, he arrived in Kearney, Nebraska, where he has been actively engaged in the practice of medicine throughout the past three decades. He encountered all of the difficulties and hardships of the pioneer practitioner but discharged his duties with self-sacrificing conscientiousness and has long been the loved family physician in many a household. In 1889, in 1894 and again in 1900 he took post-graduate work at Rush Medical College of Chicago, and he has also kept in touch with the steady advance of the profession as a member of the Buffalo County Medical Society, the Nebraska State Medical Society and the American Medical Association.
Dr. Packard has been married twice. In 1880, at Monmouth, Iowa, he wedded Miss Dyantha Louisa Lake, by whom he had two sons, namely: Lawrence Ralph, a physician of Whitehall, Montana; and Gerald J., a practicing dentist of Living-
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
ston, Montana. The wife and mother passed away in 1892 and two years later Dr. Packard was again married, his second union being with Mrs. Helen A. Townsley, who has a daughter by her former marriage, Lora E., the wife of J. Burt Porterfield, of De Land, Illinois.
The Doctor gives his political allegiance to the republican party, is a Protestant in religious belief and is identified with a number of fraternal insurance organizations. In 1913 he was elected grand medical examiner for the state of Nebraska of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. During the long period of his residence in Kearney he has won an enviable position in both professional and social circles and he is widely recognized as a leading representative of his profession.
Robert Haines, now living retired at Kearney, was born near North Greenfield, Logan county, Ohio, December 1, 1841, and is a son of David and Elizabeth (Branson) Haines. The father, a native of Ohio, was a son of Joseph Haines, who was born in Culpeper county, Virginia, where he was reared. When a young man of eighteen years he went to Ohio, becoming one of the pioneer farmers of that state. He also engaged in preaching as a local minister of the Methodist Episcopal church, in which connection he did good work, especially in camp meetings. He served as a soldier in the War of 1812, acting as a scout, and he was a large man of fine physique who possessed a vigorous constitution and reached the ripe old age of eighty-four years. He traced his ancestry back to one of seven brothers, who came from Germany at an early period in the colonization of the new world. His son, David Haines, took up the occupation of farming, which he made his life work. He always remained a resident of Ohio, where he died in his ninetieth year. His wife was also a native of Ohio and there spent her entire life, passing away at the age of forty-four years.
Robert Haines spent his youthful days upon the old homestead farm and had the usual experiences of the boy who divides his time between the acquirement of an education in the district schools and the work of the fields. On attaining his majority he started out in business independently, working as a farm hand and at the carpenter's trade, and at the time of his marriage he rented land and began farming on his own account. All business and personal considerations, however, were put aside at the time of the Civil war, for he enlisted in August, 1862, as a member of Company H, Ninety-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. After three days, however, he became ill with a fever, and was unable to go to the front. On the 25th of December, 1863, he reenlisted from Logan county, Ohio, for three years' service and was mustered in on the 8th of January, 1861, at Cleveland, Ohio, as a private, refusing the rank of corporal. He was with Captain Samuel Starr's company and later he was made corporal, remaining with that company until he received an honorable discharge on the 13th of July, 1865, at Columbus, Ohio, following the close of the war.
Mr. Haines continued a resident of the Buckeye state until 1872, when he came to Buffalo county, Nebraska, and secured a homestead claim on section 26, Center township. That was before the town of Kearney had been established.
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
He built a small frame house fourteen by sixteen feet and remained upon the homestead until he secured his title thereto. About 1878 he removed to Kearney and built a residence at the corner of Twenty-second and C streets, where, he has since made his home. However, he continued to manage his farm year after year until about 1900, when he rented the place and has since lived retired, enjoying a well earned rest.
On the 25th of February, 1869, Mr. Haines was married to Miss Emma Ione Scott, a native of Hardin county, Ohio, where she was reared and educated. In 1872 she arrived in Buffalo county, becoming one of its pioneer women. She was an active worker in the Sunday school and church in the days when religious services were held at the homes of the settlers. Her life was fraught with many good deeds and was actuated by kindly purposes. She died October 3, 1913, leaving an adopted daughter, Beatrice, who is now the wife of Jesse S. Barlow and resides in Kearney.
Mr. Haines is a member of Smith Gavitt Post, No. 299, G. A. R., in which he has filled all of the offices, serving as commander for three years, which office he was occupying at the time the monument at Kearney was dedicated. He served as justice of the peace and as assessor for two years, filling both offices during the years 1875 and 1876. He served by appointment as a member of the city council of Kearney and was afterward elected and occupied the position for two terms, making a creditable record in office by his fidelity to duty and his devotion to the best interests of the community in which he resides. He has lived in the county for forty-four years and has therefore witnessed almost its entire growth and development. He has taken an active part in what has been accomplished and is interested in everything pertaining to the public welfare. He has many reminiscences of pioneer times which give an excellent picture of conditions that existed in the early days and indicate the later trend of progress. In this county he is widely known and his circle of friends is almost coextensive with the circle of his acquaintance.
Washington Milbourn was one of the early settlers of Buffalo county, taking up his residence in Elm Creek township in 1872, and he was well known and highly esteemed. He was a veteran of the Civil war and the patriotism which prompted him to enlist in the Union army also led him to further the public welfare in times of peace. His birth occurred in Carroll county, Ohio, on the 24th of August, 1826, and he removed with the family to Columbiana county and thence to Stark county, Ohio. He grew to manhood in the Buckeye state and there received his education. In young manhood he went to Woodford county, Illinois, where he was living at the time of the Civil war and where he enlisted in the Eighth Illinois Cavalry. He participated in the battle of Mobile and in other engagements and remained with his command until mustered out at New Orleans in 1865. He returned to Illinois and continued to live there until 1872, when he came to Buffalo county and located, in Elm Creek township. He gained a
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
gratifying measure of success as a farmer and devoted his time to agricultural pursuits until his demise in 1903.
Mr. Milbourn was married in Stark county, Ohio, on the 28th of November, 1850, to Miss Susan Pflasterer, who was born on the 21st of March, 1830, in Baden, Germany, and was confirmed in the Presbyterian church on the 28th of October, 1843. She too passed away in Elm Creek township, this county. Mr. and Mrs. Milbourn became the parents of six children, namely: George F, who is living in Oklahoma; William F., a farmer of Elm Creek township; Abraham Lincoln, who is living in Dawson county, this state; Addie E., the wife of John F. Daul, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this work; Rosa Anna Margaret, who married J. L. Larrie, of Omaha; and Emma Jane, who died when five years old.
Mr. Milbourn gave his political allegiance to the republican party but did not take a very active part in politics, as his private interests commanded his undivided attention. He was a man of high principles and his integrity gained him the respect of all with whom he came into contact. He did his share in developing the county into the prosperous and advanced farming section which it is today, and his memory is justly held in honor.
AARON T. SHELLENBARGER.
Aaron T. Shellenbarger is one of the most prominent men in the business and industrial circles of Ravenna. For a number of years he was a leading stockholder and the cashier of the Citizens State Bank of Ravenna and since disposing of his interest in the institution has been active in other fields. He organized the Ravenna Electric Light & Power Company, which he has since managed, and which has not only returned good dividends but has also been of great advantage to the business interests of the town.
Mr. Shellenbarger was born in Tama county, Iowa, on the 29th of September, 1858, a son of Peter S. and Hulda M. (Parker) Shellenbarger, natives respectively of Pennsylvania and Vermont. The father, who was a farmer by occupation, was an early settler of Michigan and followed agricultural pursuits there until 1854, when he removed to Tama county, Iowa. He purchased land there and devoted several years to its cultivation but at length returned to Michigan, where he remained for four years. At the end of that time he again went to Iowa but subsequently removed to Kansas. After living there for three years he went to California, where he resided until called by death in October, 1911. His wife died in August, 1910.
Aaron T. Shellenbarger is largely a self-educated man, as he had little opportunity to attend school in his youth. He has read widely and his keen intelligence and habit of close observation have enabled him to gain much knowledge and practical wisdom from his contact with other men. He remained at home until he reached the age of twenty-one years and then began operating rented land in Tama county. In 1880 he went to Kansas but after farming there for a year returned to Iowa. A year later he came to Ravenna, Buffalo county, Nebraska, and during the first summer followed agricultural pursuits. He started in busi-