ness by establishing a peanut stand in Ravenna and subsequently embarked in the grocery business, later adding a stock of dry goods. He soon demonstrated his business acumen and as his patronage increased he enlarged his stock and after removing once or twice to provide more room for his rapidly expanding business he purchased a one story building located on the site now occupied by the Citizens State Bank. Later the building was remodeled, an additional story being added, and it was veneered with brick, being the first brick or brick-veneered building in the business part of Ravenna. Mr. Shellenbarger conducted a general store for twelve years, after which he sold out to C. J. Stevens, of Ansley. He also bought and sold live stock and grain and in partnership with Dr. Bentley engaged in stock raising on a large scale. After selling his mercantile business he and Dr. Bentley bought the State Bank of Ravenna, which they conducted for seven years. At the end of that time Mr. Shellenbarger sold part of his interest therein and turned his attention to milling, buying the Seeley flour mill in partnership with C. N. Davenport. Six months later the mill was destroyed by fire, but the owners immediately rebuilt it and operated it very successfully until they disposed of it to Messrs. A. R. Kinney and C. F. Tidball, of Crete, Nebraska. During all of this time Mr. Shellenbarger was still engaged in the stock business and in the operation of his six hundred and forty acre ranch near Ravenna, which he has since sold. After disposing of the mill he became connected with the management of the State Bank of Ravenna, but after a short time purchased the controlling interest in the Citizens State Bank of Ravenna and became cashier of that institution. He held that position until 1912, when he sold his stock in the bank, although he still holds title to the building and fixtures.
After leaving the bank Mr. Shellenbarger organized the Ravenna Electric Light & Power Company and built a fine modern plant and equipped it with the latest machinery at a cost of thirty-two thousand, six hundred dollars. He has since controlled the affairs of this company and it has become one of the leading industrial enterprises of the county. It furnishes power for the mill, creamery and pumping station and also the meat markets and garages in the town. The city heat and light are also furnished from the plant and the service given is excellent. A full line of electrical supplies are also carried in the sales room and all branches of the business of the company have shown a steady increase. Mr. Shellenbarger owns several residence properties in Ravenna, which he rents, and also valuable business property.
Mr. Shellenbarger was married on the 2d of November, 1879, to Miss Zelda J. Reedy, a daughter of John W. and Susan O. Reedy, natives of Pennsylvania. Her father, who was a farmer, removed to Tama county, Iowa, in an early day in the history of that county and purchased land there, which he cultivated the remainder of his life. He passed away in 1909 and his wife died in 1879. Mrs. Shellenbarger died on the 9th of October, 1912. On the 14th of October, 1914, Mr. Shellenbarger was again married. Miss Irene Pool becoming his wife. Her parents, Eratus H. and Gertrude S. (Tilson) Pool, were both natives of Michigan but became pioneer settlers of Buffalo county, Nebraska, where the father purchased land. He died in 1898 but is survived by his wife, who resides with Mr. and Mrs. Shellenbarger.
Mr. Shellenbarger is a stanch democrat in politics and has served as city and township treasurer, as a member of the city council, as chairman of the council
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
and as special deputy sheriff. He was also a member of the board of education for twelve years and during that time served as treasurer and as chairman of the board. He belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and is loyal to the teachings of those organizations. The guiding influence of his life, however, has been his Christian faith and he has been very influential in building up the local Methodist Episcopal church. He and his wife were the organizers of the congregation and he is now the only living charter member. He has served on the official board of the church since it was organized and for a number of years was superintendent of the Sunday school. The high esteem in which he is held as a business man and the confidence which is felt in his integrity are indicated in the fact that he has served as administrator of numerous estates and has been receiver of three large mercantile establishments. His conduct of the interests intrusted to him has always been highly satisfactory to all parties concerned. Although he is now one of the wealthy men of Ravenna and one of its leading citizens, he began his career without capital other than his energy and good judgment and for a few years was in straitened circumstances. As a boy, however, he had become accustomed to hard work, as his parents were pioneers, and it was necessary that all of the family aid in the development of the home farm. This early training in industry and perseverance stood him in good stead when he was struggling to gain a foothold. During the year that he spent in Kansas he lost all of his crops through drought and at the end of the season found himself with only two hundred and fifty dollars in cash. He traded his horses for a yoke of oxen and started back to Iowa. On the way he visited the John Reedy family, who were living in Schneider township, Buffalo county, Nebraska, and was so impressed with the county that after a year he took up his permanent residence here. Few men are so widely known in the county and there is none who is held in higher esteem.
WILLIS D. OLDHAM.
For a quarter of a century Willis D. Oldham has been an active practitioner at the bar of Kearney, and colleagues and contemporaries speak of him as one of the strong and able lawyers in this part of the state. He closely conforms his practice to high professional ethics and his devotion to the interests of his clients has become proverbial.
Mr. Oldham is a native of West Virginia. His birth occurred in Ohio county on the 25th of May, 1859, and he is one of six children, all of whom are still living, born of the marriage of John M, and Isabel (Armstrong) Oldham, who were natives of West Virginia and Pennsylvania respectively. The Oldhams came from the lowlands of Scotland, where the name was spelled Auldhame. The year 1653 witnessed their arrival in America, at which time they formed a part of the Jamestown colony. The Armstrongs were from the Scotch border and joined the American colonies in 1773, settling in Washington county, Pennsylvania, at a little town called West Alexander, where a Scotch colony had established homes. James Armstrong, the great-grandfather of Willis D. Oldham, served with the colonial army all through the Revolutionary war and Colonel
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
W. D. Oldham was a captain from Culpeper county, Virginia, throughout the period of hostilities which brought independence to the nation. Afterward he rendered military service during the Indian uprising, which occurred in the administration of President Washington and during the retreat of General St. Clair, which covered the rear of the army, he was killed. He was a brother of Willis D. Oldham's great-grandfather and he had a younger brother, Richard, who was a lieutenant in the War of 1812, and was the only commissioned officer that it was killed at New Orleans. Two brothers of John M. Oldham and uncles of Willis D. Oldham served in the Mexican war, their names being Benjamin and Wyley. At the time of the Civil war John M. Oldham espoused the cause of his country and served on the staff of General Wheat in a West Virginia regiment, while two of his brothers served with the Confederate army. In the year 1866 John M. Oldham and his family removed to Putnam county, Indiana, where he owned land but a year later he disposed of his holdings there and removed to Adair county, Missouri, where he followed farming until 1879, when he removed to Cole county, Missouri, there residing for twenty years, during which time he held a number of official positions. He continued his residence at that place until called to his final rest.
Willis D. Oldham attained man's estate in Missouri. He acquired his primary education in the public schools and subsequently entered the State Normal School at Kirksville, from which he was graduated with the class of 1878. He afterward engaged in teaching school in Clay and Saline counties and for two years was assistant state superintendent of public instruction at Jefferson City, becoming recognized as one of the foremost educators of Missouri. During that period he began reading law and subsequently entered the office of Hon. F. M. Harrington at Kirksville, who for a score of years was a representative in the state legislature, and is yet living in Kirksville at a very advanced age. Having mastered many of the principles of jurisprudence Mr. Oldham successfully passed the required examination and in 1881 was admitted to the bar. He then engaged in the practice of law at Kirksville for nine years and in 1890 removed to Kearney, Nebraska, where he has since made his home, actively following his profession. He served for one term as a deputy attorney general of Nebraska, covering the years from 1898 until 1900 and he was also appointed supreme court commissioner in May, 1901, acting in that capacity until May, 1907. In his chosen profession he has made steady progress. His reputation as a lawyer has been won through earnest, honest labor, and his standing at the bar is a merited tribute to his ability, as his practice has become large and of an important character. In the preparation of his cases he has at no time confined his reading to limitations of the questions at issue but has gone beyond and compassed every contingency and provided not alone for the expected but for the unexpected, which happens in the courts quite as frequently as out of them.
On the 7th of October, 1890, in Mexico, Missouri, Mr. Oldham wedded Miss Belle Fentem, and they have become parents of four children: Isabel, the wife of William Ford, of Kearney; Helen F.; Junius; and Bruce.
Fraternally Mr. Oldham is connected with the Elks, the Knights of the Maccabees and the Ancient Order of United Workmen. In politics he has always been a democrat and since coming to Nebraska he has been identified with all that pertains to the public weal. He has worked earnestly for democratic prin-
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
ciples and was one of the organizers of the democratic party in the sixth district, comprising thirty-three counties. He served as one of the delegates at large to the national democratic convention which nominated Bryan in 1900, on which occasion Judge Oldham made the nominating speech. His opinions have long carried weight in party councils and he has been associated in molding public thought and opinion with many of the most eminent democrats of the west. However, he regards the pursuits of private life as abundantly worthy his best efforts and is satisfied to give his attention to the practice of law, in which connection his legal ability, his analytical mind, and the readiness with which he grasps the points in an argument all combine to make him one of the ablest lawyers who have graced the courts of Nebraska in recent years,
August Kluge, deceased, was one of the well known farmers of Buffalo county and at his death left behind many friends. He was born in Germany in May, 1843, a son of Jacob and Anna Kluge, who were natives of that country. The father was a farmer by occupation and never came to the new world, nor did his wife ever cross the Atlantic.
August Kluge was reared and educated in his native country, remaining at home until 1880, when he decided to emigrate to the United States. He made Buffalo county his destination and here purchased one hundred and sixty acres of good land on section 35, Garfield township. This he improved and operated until his death, which occurred in August, 1898, after an illness of seven years. He lived a busy and useful life, wisely using his opportunities for the attainment of success, and in his business dealings was always regarded as thoroughly reliable.
It was in July, 1874, that Mr. Kluge was united in marriage to Miss Anna Doehler, a daughter of Gotlieb and Fredericka (Heil) Doehler, who were natives of Germany. The wife and mother passed away in 1857 and the father came to America with Mr. and Mrs. Kluge, making his home with them until his demise, which occurred in 1881. Mrs. Kluge was born in Germany in March, 1852, and by her marriage became the mother of eight children, as follows: Louisa, born March 18, 1877, who is the widow of B. F. Hill and resides in Greeley, Colorado; Clara, born March 31, 1882, who is the wife of Herman Polenz and resides in Sherman county, Nebraska; Hulda, who was born in March, 1885, and lives in California; Edwin, whose birth occurred in October, 1886, and who operates the home place; Arno A., born September 26, 1888, who lives at home with his mother and is the only electrician of Ravenna, carrying a stock of electrical supplies and finding constant demand for his services; Minnie and Paul, who died in Germany in the year 1878; and Myrtle, who passed away in 1906.
In September, 1910, Mrs. Kluge removed to Ravenna, renting the farm to her son. She purchased a nice home in the northwest part of the town and has since occupied it. She is a devoted member of the Lutheran church and has many admirable characteristics which endear her to those with whom she has
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
been brought in contact. After her husband's death she continued the work of improving the farm, paying off the mortgage on the place, and displayed excellent business management in the conduct of her interests. She is now comfortably situated in life, deriving a gratifying income from the farm of one hundred and sixty acres which she owns.
FRANK J. WILKIE, D. D. S.
Dr. Frank J. Wilkie, of Ravenna, is not only one of the most prominent young dentists of Buftalo county but is also serving as mayor and has proved very capable in the management of municipal affairs. He was born upon a farm near Brock, Nemaha county, Nebraska, on the 3d of October, 1883. His parents, Harvey J. and Julia (Thompson) Wilkie, were both natives of New York. The father was taken to Illinois by his parents and there grew to manhood but in 1866, decided to remove farther west and drove across the country to Nemaha county, Nebraska, where both he and his father took up homesteads. Harvey J. Wilkie operated his farm there for many years and then lived retired for a decade, but found that he could not endure a life of inactivity and returned to the farm, which he is still cultivating. He has made many improvements upon the place and is recognized as a factor in the agricultural development of his locality. His wife passed away on the 30th of May, 1908.
Frank J. Wilkie was reared at home and in the acquirement of his early education attended the district schools of Nemaha county. When fifteen years of age he became a student in the State Normal School at Peru, Nebraska, where he remained for three years, taking a scientific course. He then spent a year in an Omaha Business College, after which he engaged in farming on his own account for a year. Having decided to devote his life to the practice of dentistry, he entered the College of Dentistry of Creighton University at Omaha and completed the three years' course by graduation in 1908. On the 10th of June of that year he located in Ravenna, Buffalo county, Nebraska, where he has since been actively engaged in the practice of his profession. He is very skillful in his work and this, combined with his thorough knowledge of the scientific principles underlying dentistry and his scrupulous regard for cleanliness, has resulted in his building up a large and representative patronage. He is progressive and up-to-date and has spared no expense in the equipment of his office, which lacks nothing that could add to his efficiency. There are very few dental offices in the state that are so well furnished and Dr. Wilkie takes justifiable pride in his equipment.
On the 23th of December, 1908, occurred the marriage of Dr. Wilkie and Miss Nancy C. Larson, who is a daughter of Andrew and Hannah (Lawson) Larson, natives of Denmark. The father, who was an agriculturist, came to America about 1875 and settled upon a farm in South Dakota, Subsequently he went to Furnas county, Nebraska, where he purchased land which he has since operated and improved. His wife also survives. Dr. and Mrs. Wilkie have a daughter, Helen M., who was born November 20, 1909.
Dr. Wilkie is a democrat in political belief and has always taken an active
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
interest in public affairs. He served for one term as a member of the city council and in the spring of 1915 was elected mayor of Ravenna, which office he is now filling. He is practical and businesslike in the administration of the affairs of the town and his official course has gained the commendation of all good citizens. Fraternally he belongs to the Elks, the Masons and the Knights of Pythias and along strictly professional lines is identified with the District, State and National Dental Societies. His religious faith is indicated by his membership in the Methodist Episcopal church. A local publication has said of him: "Dr. Wilkie is a representative of Ravenna's younger business and professional men, who are certain to have a large and important part to play in the future development of the town. He is initiative and progressive, which coupled with aggressive industry and ability will win for him a prominent place in the councils of his fellowmen."
Frederick Haug, a well-to-do retired farmer living in Shelton township, was born in Pennsylvania on the 4th of November, 1851. He is one of a family of nine children, of whom eight are living, and is a son of John and Mary (Bender) Haug, natives of Germany, who in 1848 came to America and settled in Pennsylvania. There their marriage occurred and there they resided until 1871, in which year they came to Buffalo county, Nebraska, where both passed away.
Frederick Haug was about twenty years of age at the time of the removal of the family to this county and continued to reside at home until he was twenty-seven years old, when he began operating a homestead which he had entered in 1872. For ten years he farmed that place, after which he purchased his present farm on section 9, Shelton township. He owns three-hundred and fifty-six acres of as good land as there is in the county and he has not only conserved its fertility but has also added to its value by making many improvements. He has erected fine buildings and planted an orchard of seven acres, which supplies the family with an abundance of all kinds of fruit. He is now living retired, his well directed activity in former years having made him a man of independent means. He carried on general farming and found both grain raising and stock raising profitable.
In 1880 Mr. Haug was married to Miss Sarah A. Oliver, who was the second white girl born in Buffalo county. Her natal year was 1860 and she was a daughter of James and Ellen Oliver, both of whom were born in England. In 1860 they came to America and settled in Buffalo county, Nebraska, where the father died. The mother, however, is still living. Mrs. Haug passed away in August, 1900, and was laid to rest in Shelton cemetery. She left two children, namely: Bertha A, the wife of O. O. Hayman; and James H., who is operating the home farm.
Mr. Haug is a republican in politics but, although he is interested in public affairs, he has never sought office. He is affiliated with Shelton Lodge, No. 141, I. O. O. F., at Shelton, in which he has held all the chairs, and he is also a member of the United Brethren church, to which his wife also belonged. He is a
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
man of many admirable qualities and during the many years of his residence in this county has gained the sincere friendship of those who have been closely associated with him.
Adam Daul, who is a retired farmer living in the village of Elm Creek, was born in Washington county, Wisconsin, thirty miles north of Milwaukee, a son of Frederick Daul, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this work Our subject was but five years of age when his mother died, but his father kept the family together and he grew to manhood in his native county. In 1873 he accompanied his father to Buffalo county, Nebraska, where he lived until 1880, when he went back to Wisconsin with his wife's family and purchased eighty acres of land there, which he cultivated for nine years. In 1889, however, his father persuaded him to return to Buffalo county, which he did, and at once began the operation of a farm which his father gave him. He was actively engaged in agricultural pursuits in Elm Creek township until 1912, and as he was practical and energetic in his work he seldom failed to harvest good crops and his resources increased from year to year. In 1912, feeling that he had acccumulated sufficient of this world's goods to provide him with the comforts of life during his remaining years, he returned to Elm Creek, where he is now living. He owns his residence here and also still holds title to his farm.
Mr. Daul married Miss Mary Emick, who was also born in Washington county, Wisconsin, and is a daughter of Jacob and Catherine Emick, both natives of Germany. The father died in Dawson county, Nebraska, in the fall of 1880, but the mother is living in Wisconsin. Mr. and Mrs. Daul have become the parents of five children, namely: Kate, the wife of Ray Lloyd, a farmer of Dawson county; John, who is engaged in merchandising in Elm Creek; Jacob, who is manager of the Stickle lumberyard at Overton; Lillie, the wife of Oliver Cowdry, who is operating his father-in-law's farm; and August, at home.
Mr. Daul was reared in the Catholic faith and his wife was reared in the Lutheran church, but the difference in their religious beliefs has never caused any disagreement between them. Both are well and favorably known, not only in Elm Creek but throughout the county, and their personal friends are many. The rest which they are now enjoying is well deserved, as it is the direct result of their own industry and good management.
CHARLES W. KIBLER.
Charles W. Kibler, Kearney's popular mayor, was born at Tipton, Indiana, on the 29th of April, 1869, and was one of a family of eleven children, nine of whom are now living, born of the marriage of George W. and Lavina (Cornwall) Kibler, who were of German and English ancestry respectively. During his early life the father was a farmer and in the fall of 1873 removed with his
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
family to Nebraska, securing a homestead claim in Colfax county. He complied wifh the law concerning the acquirement of property and after securing title to his place continued its improvement for a time but finally removed to Leigh, Nebraska, where he now resides, being employed as a traveling salesman.
Charles W. Kibler was about five years of age when he was brought to this state. His education was acquired in the public schools and at twenty-one years of age he started out in life on his own account as a farmer, at which business he continued for four years. He afterward spent four years as a traveling saleman and in 1903 he came to Kearney, where he organized the Kearney Land Company, of which he has since been the president and executive head, directing the business carried on by the firm, which is now extensive and of an important character. He also assisted in organizing the Kearney Canning Company, of which he is the vice president. His business judgment is sound, his enterprise unfaltering and his energy enables him to accomplish what he undertakes.
On the 23d of December, 1831, Mr. Kibler was united in marriage to Miss May Walling, by whom he has three daughters, namely: Augusta May, Ada Nora and Alta Hannah. The religious faith of the family is that of the Presbyterian church. Mr. Kibler is a member of the Modern Woodmen camp and of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. His political allegiance is unfalteringly given to the republican party and for four years he served as a member of the city council before his election to the office of mayor of Kearney in 1915. He is now the chief executive of the city and is exercising his official prerogatives in support of many progressive plans and measures which are resulting beneficially to the city's upbuilding and improvement. During the years 1910 and 1911 he served as president of the Kearney Commercial Club.
THOMAS J. SCOTT.
Thomas J. Scott, register of deeds for Buffalo county, was born in Danville, Vermilion county, Illinois, July 29, 1851, his parents being Francis F. and Harriet (De Lay) Scott, the former a native of Seneca county, New York, and the latter of Vermilion county, Illinois. The father was but a young lad when his parents removed westward to the then frontier of Illinois, where he was reared to manhood upon a farm. He then married and afterwards he followed agricultural pursuits, continuing his residence in Vermilion county until March, 1886, when he removed with his family to Nebraska, and settled in Kearney. After his arrival here he practically lived retired from active business, although to some extent he engaged in buying live stock. His remaining days were here passed, his death occurring December 20, 1898. His widow survived him for several years, passing away August 5, 1915. They were charter members of the United Brethren church of Kearney and continued in active membership therewith until called to the home beyond.
Thomas J. Scott, who was one of four children, three of whom are now living, is the only member of the family residing in Buffalo county at the present time. He was reared to farm work in Vermilion county, Illinois, and acquired his educational training in the district schools. After his textbooks were put
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
aside he gave his attention to the work of the fields and also engaged in clerking in a store in Danville until 1885, when he sought the opportunities offered in Nebraska and visited this state. He decided to make Kearney his future home and accordingly, accompanied by the members of his father's family, he removed to Kearney in 1886. Here he was first employed as a clerk in a grocery store and occupied that position until he became a deputy in the county treasurer's office in 1890. He was thus employed until 1893, when the office of register of deeds was created and Mr. Scott was the first man elected to that position. After serving for a term of four years he resumed clerking for a time and was then appointed to the office of deputy county treasurer. For years he was connected with county offices in various capacities, being employed because of his experience and ability regardless of his political views. He also became connected with the real estate business and the careful management of his financial interests enabled him in course of time to buy a farm of one hundred and sixty acres in Dawson county. He still owns this property and a good residence at No. 2003 Seventh avenue. In 1914 he was once more called to public office, being elected on the democratic ticket to the office of register of deeds, in which capacity he is now capably serving, thus again filling the position in which he was the first incumbent.
Mr. Scott was married November 24, 1887, to Miss Estelle Grant, of Odessa, Nebraska, and to this union three children have been born, Everett B., Susan and Myron L. The parents are members of the United Brethren church and Mr. Scott is identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Modern Woodmen. He has never regretted his determination to come to Nebraska. For thirty years he has here made his home, witnessing much of the growth and development of the county and cooperating in many movements and measures that have resulted beneficially for the community. He has a wide acquaintance and his worth is acknowledged by all who know him.
HARRY L. CRAWFORD.
Among the representative citizens of Ravenna is Harry L. Crawford, who is conducting a furniture and undertaking business. He was born near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on the 20th of February, 1878, a son of James S. and Barbara J. (Love) Crawford, natives of the Keystone state. The father engaged in farming there until February, 1883, when with his family he removed to Columbus, Platte county, Nebraska. In 1886 a further removal was made to Buffalo county, and the family home was established on one hundred and sixty acres of land on section 9, Cedar township, which the father had purchased in the fall of 1883. He at once began making improvements upon the place and devoted his time and energies to agricultural pursuits during the remainder of his life. He passed away on the 20th of January, 1890, after an illness of three years. His wife survives him and resides with our subject, who is the oldest in a family of five children, the others being as follows: George, who was born on the 6th of November, 1879, passed away on the 10th of July, 1893. John is also deceased.
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
Frank E., born March 24, 1883, is now assistant cashier in a bank at Bladen, Nebraska. On the 19th of July, 1910, he was united in marriage to Miss Mabel Hassler. Clarence was born January 8, 1886, and died October 6, 1900.
Harry L. Crawford received a good education, attending the Sunflower district school. Following the demise of his father in 1890 he assumed the management of the farm and engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1908. In that year the family removed to Kearney and shortly afterward he went to Chicago and took a course in the Barnes School of Anatomy, Sanitary Science and Embalming and after completing his school work he spent several months in the employ of Chicago undertakers, thus securing valuable practical experience. After his return to Kearney he became connected with A. G. Bower, the principal undertaker of Kearney, and remained with him for four and a half years. In June, 1913, however, he came to Ravenna and purchased the O. L. Miller furniture and undertaking business, which he has since very successfully conducted. He carries an unusually large stock of high grade furniture and his annual sales reach a gratifying total. His ability as a funeral director is recognized throughout the county and he is accorded a large patronage in that connection.
Mr. Crawford casts his ballot in support of the democratic party but has never sought nor desired office. Fraternally he belongs to the Royal Highlanders and the Knights of Pythias, and his religious allegiance is given to the Methodist Episcopal church. Along professional lines he is identified with the Nebraska State Funeral Directors Association. He is progressive and energetic and these qualities, combined with his courtesy and attractive personality, insure his continued and growing success.
Frederick Daul, who was one of the most prosperous of the early settlers of Buffalo county, was born in Baden, Germany, in 1818, of the marriage of Frank and Ursula Daul. They were members of the Catholic church and the father was a farmer by occupation.
Frederick Daul grew to manhood in his native county but when twenty-two years of age came to America, locating first in New York state, whence he removed to Wisconsin. He lived there for a number of years but in 1873 came with his family to Buffalo county, Nebraska, and located on section 31, Elm Creek township. He was a progressive and efficient agriculturist and became one of the wealthy men of his locality, he and his sons owning over fifteen hundred acres of land.
Mr. Daul was married in Wisconsin to Miss Anna Dengle, likewise a native of Germany. She passed away in that state, leaving five children, namely: John F. and Adam, sketches of whom appear elsewhere in this work; Agnes, who became the wife of Valentine Nichols and died in Kearney county, this state; Kate, now Mrs. William Milbourn, of Elm Creek township; and Maggie, the wife of A. L. Milbourn, of Dawson county. Followiing the demise of his first wife Mr. Daul was married to Miss Mary Martinau, a native of Holland. She
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
passed away in Buffalo county at the advanced age of eighty-four years, and his demise occurred here when he was seventy-six years old. He was a democrat in political belief and his religious faith was that of the Roman Catholic church. His was an active and useful life, and his many friends mourned his demise and long cherished his memory.
William Brady, who was a pioneer settler and farmer of Gibbon township, Buffalo county, was born on Christmas Day, 1838, in the province of Ulster, Ireland. His parents, William and Eliza Brady, were also natives of Ireland, where they lived during the greater part of their lives, although their last days were spent in America. William Brady of this review was reared to agricultural pursuits and engaged in farming independently in Argyle, New York, for some time. There he was married on the 14th of February, 1866, to Miss Mary McGowan, a daughter of Harry and Mary McGowan, natives of Ireland, where they spent their entire lives, passing away when their daughter was eight years of age. Mr. and Mrs. Brady became the parents of four children, namely: Ida M., who is now the wife of W. J. Bloodgood; Mary E., now Mrs. H. A. Gaarde; James A., who married Miss Bertha Cain; and Grace, who died in childhood.
Mr. Brady remained in New York until 1871, when he removed with his family to Buffalo county, Nebraska, coming here with the Soldiers' Free Homestead colony. He took up a claim in Gibbon towhship and at once began its development and improvement but was not to enjoy his new home for but a short period, as he was accidentally killed in a clay pit along Wood river in 1872 when he was getting clay with which to make the brick for the first courthouse of Buffalo county. His wife continued to reside upon the homestead and in five years proved up on the place and received the patent in her own name. She had many difficulties to overcome but persevered bravely and brought the farm to a high state of development. On the 29th of August, 1882, she was again married, becoming the wife of S. R. Traut. They continued to live upon the farm and Mr. Traut passed away a number of years later. She still owns the place and supervises its operation, but since 1903 has lived in the village of Gibbon, where she has many warm friends.
Mr. Brady was a Presbyterian in religious faith and his life was guided by high standards of ethics. He always manifested a keen interest in the public welfare and at the time of the Civil war his patriotism led him to enlist in the One Hundred and Twenty-third Regiment, New York Volunteer Infantry, with which he was at the front for two years and ten months, or until the close of the war, when he received his honorable discharge. His salient qualities of character were those that are associated with the highest type of manhood and, although he had only lived in this county for a year at the time of his death, he had gained the respect and the esteem of those who were brought into contact with him.
Mrs. Brady has the honor of being a charter member of the first church established in Buffalo county, which is the Presbyterian church of Gibbon, organized
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
in 1872. She has always been one of its most loyal supporters and attendants and in that faith has reared her children. In the early days the church passed through many vicissitudes and would have been disbanded had it not been for Mrs. Brady and three others, who attended a meeting of the presbytery and prevailed upon them not to disband the church. It is now in a very flourishing condition and in 1909 a beautiful new house of worship was erected on the old site.
Lyman Cary has been one of the most extensive landowners of Buffalo county but has now retired from active business life and is enjoying a rest which he has truly earned and richly deserves. He has figured prominently in connection with public affairs in this county as county treasurer, having served in that position for three terms, and at all times has been a stalwart champion of those interests and movements which have worked for the benefit and upbuilding of this district. He was born in Androscoggin county, Maine, on the 18th of July, 1847, a son of Horace and Lurana (Bradford) Cary, the latter a descendant of Governor Bradford of the Plymouth colony in the sixth generation. The Carys are also of an old New England family. Lyman Cary spent his youthful days upon the home farm and attended the public schools, after which he continued his education in Auburn Academy and in the Westbrook Seminary at Westbrook, Maine. In 1868 he left New England for Illinois, where he was engaged on the construction of what is now the Great Western Railroad. In 1869 he went to Tama county, Iowa, and purchased a farm, which he operated until elected county treasurer of Tama county. He then leased his farm during his two years term of office, after which he returned to the farm and resided thereon until 1886. In that year he came to Nebraska and took up his abode upon a farm in Schneider township, Buffalo county. He purchased a partly improved tract of land and added thereto from time to time until he became the owner of sixteen hundred acres, on which he engaged in raising and feeding stock, becoming one of the extensive landowners and stock dealers of the county. He continued his agricultural pursuits until the fall of 1891, when he was elected treasurer on the populist ticket. He then leased his farm and came to Kearney, where he filled the office for two years in a most acceptable and creditable manner. He then returned to the farm, upon which he lived until 1895, when he was reelected county treasurer, and again he was chosen to that position in 1897. He continued in the office therefore for six years and on the expiration of his third term retired from the position as he had entered it--with the confidence and goodwill of all concerned. He established his home in Kearney, renting his farms, and has since lived retired, enjoying in well earned rest the fruits of his former toil.
On the 3d of July, 1870, Mr. Cary was married to Miss Lavina Rines, of Tama county, Iowa, who was born in Morrow county, Ohio, January 15, 1846. In 1854 she went to Tama county with her parents, Jackson and Lavina (Coffing) Rines, who became pioneer residents of Tama county, where Mrs. Cary was