visit his aged mother whom he had not seen since he left home as a boy of fourteen years. They spent about a year in Europe and after his return Mr. Smaha again became actively connected with the conduct of his business.
O. J. LLOYD.
O. J. Lloyd, a retired farmer living in Elm Creek, has been honored by his fellow citizens by election to the office of mayor and is efficiently and conscientiously discharging the duties devolving upon him. His birth occurred in Bunker township, Mercer county, Illinois, on the 19th of March, 1851, and he is a son of James and Catherine (Burroughs) Lloyd, the former born in Erie, Pennsylvania, on the 3d of September, 1827, and the latter in Salem, New Jersey, on the 26th of February, 1825. The paternal grandfather of our subject, Benijah Lloyd, settled at Millersburg, Mercer county, Illinois, in 1834 and took up land on a soldier's claim. He was a tailor by trade. He passed away at Millersburg, as did his wife, who was in her maidenhood Elizabeth Dunn. The parents of our subject were married on the 15th of February, 1850, in Mercer county, Illinois, to which place the father had removed as a boy with his parents in 1834. He engaged in farming there on reaching mature years and became the owner of three hundred and eighty acres of excellent land. He also owned land in Nebraska and was in good circumstances. He passed away in Mercer county on the 21st of October, 1901. His religious faith was that of the Presbyterian church and he gave his political allegiance to the democratic party. He served as assessor of his township and made an excellent record in that capacity. His wife makes her home with our subject and on the 26th of February, 1916, celebrated her ninety-first birthday.
O. J. Lloyd was reared upon the home farm in Mercer county, Illinois, and for a considerable period engaged in farming independently there, as he owned a valuable tract of land in that county. In 1887 he sold out and came to Buffalo county, Nebraska, passing the first winter in Elm Creek in order to give his children the advantages of the schools here. On the 8th of January, 1888, when he was living in Elm Creek, occurred the terrible blizzard, which is still remembered for its severity. The following spring he took up his residence upon his farm of two hundred and eighty acres in Dawson county and resided there for many years. In 1896 he removed to Elm Creek, but after making his home there for two years returned to the farm, where he resided until 1913; when he retired and again took up his residence in Elm Creek. He was prompt and enterprising in carrying on the work of his farm and his progressive methods, combined with his successful management of the business phase of farming, enabled him to gain more than a competence.
Mr. Lloyd was married in Mercer county, Illinois, to Miss Frankie Vernon, who was born in that county and died in February, 1895. To them were born five children. Ray V., who was born January 13, 1873, is living on his father's farm in Dawson county. Earl E., whose birth occurred on the 17th of May, 1874, received his education in the Elm Creek schools. He later worked for a time in a bank, after which he entered the employ of the Union Pacific Railroad
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
as timekeeper. He has since worked his way steadily upward and is now holding a good position in the auditing department of that road at Omaha. Oliver M. was born on the 11th of November, 1878, and likewise received his education in the Elm Creek schools. While employed with a surveying gang on a railroad the district engineer noted his ability and helped him to secure training as a civil engineer. He is now engineer for mines near Salt Lake City. Florence, who was born September 28, 1880, married Charles Shepherd, a railroad man living at Pocatello, Idaho. Bessie, whose birth occurred on the 2ist of June, 1887, is at home. In 1898 Mr. Lloyd was married the second time, Miss Emma Callendine becoming his wife, but she is now deceased.
Mr. Lloyd is a stalwart democrat and has held a number of local offices. In 1897, while living in Elm Creek, he served as president of the village board and while living in Dawson county served as assessor of his township and lacked but fifteen votes of being elected county clerk. He is now serving as mayor, or as president of the village board of Elm Creek, of which he had for two years previously been a member. He has always discharged his official duties with an eye single to the public welfare, and his record as an office holder is creditable alike to his ability and his integrity. Fraternally he is connected with the Ancient Order of United Workmen, the Degree of Honor and the Modern Woodmen of America, all of Elm Creek, and his religious faith is indicated by his membership in the Methodist Episcopal church. He is a man of great energy and unusual soundness of judgment and these qualities have been important factors in his success as a farmer and in his influence as a man of affairs.
H. S. STEELE.
H. S. Steele, one of the well-to-do and successful farmers of Elm Creek township, is entitled to honor as a veteran of the Civil war, having served throughout that conflict as a member of an Ohio regiment. He was born in what is now West Virginia on the 25th of November, 1840, the only son of James and Caroline Steele, natives of Virginia. He was left an orphan at an early age and was reared by his maternal grandmother. While still a boy he removed to Ross county, Ohio, and later to Fayette county, that state. In 1861 he enlisted at Washington Courthouse, Ohio, in Company A, Fifty-fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and remained with that command for three years and three weeks. He took part in the following engagements, Shiloh, Chickasaw Swamps, Fort Heinman, Corinth, Vicksburg, Atlanta and Jonesburg. He was never wounded although he had a number of very narrow escapes, having the bottom of his canteen shot off at Shiloh and on one occasion having his musket knocked out of his hand by a spent cannon ball. At another time a minie ball passed through his belt.
After Mr. Steele was honorably discharged from military service he removed to Woodford county, Illinois, where he remained until 1873, when he came to Buffalo county, Nebraska. He had a soldier's claim and took up one hundred and sixty acres of land in Elk [sic] Creek township, on which he has since lived. He passed through the usual pioneer experiences and in addition to the hardships
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
incident to all life on the frontier had to contend with the grasshopper plagues and with droughts. He never wavered, however, in his faith in the ultimate prosperity of the country and this belief has been justified as he has seen his land increase greatly in value and as he has gained financial success. He owns three hundred and sixty acres in Elm Creek township and one hundred and sixty acres in Perkins county, this state, and derives a gratifying income from his land. He has always been progressive in his work, and his industry and good management have enabled him to accumulate a competence.
In 1870 Mr. Steele was united in marriage at Bloomington, Illinois, to Miss Mary Frances Lucas, who was born in Kentucky on the 10th of July, 1851, a daughter of Thomas and Minerva Lucas, natives of the Blue Grass state, who, however, were living in Woodford county, Illinois, at the time of their daughter's marriage. They subsequently came to Buffalo county, Nebraska, and both passed away here. To Mr. and Mrs. Steele have been born seven children, namely: Laura M., the wife of William Schrack, of Elm Creek; Charles, who is farming in Phelps county; Bert, a farmer of Elm Creek township; and Elmer and Ellsworth, twins, Clifford and William Henry, all four of whom are at home.
Mr. Steele supports the republican party as a rule although if the occasion demands he votes an independent ticket. He has served as a member of the school board and has at all times manifested a commendable interest in the educational advancement of his district. Both he and his wife hold membership in the Methodist Episcopal church and their many excellent qualifies have won them the respect and esteem of all who have been brought in contact with them. Mr. Steele proved his patriotism when as a young man he enlisted in the Union army and it is characteristic of him that he should meet to the full every obligation resting upon him.
WALTER S. NICHOLS, B. V. Sc.
Dr. Walter S. Nichols, of Ravenna, has a large and profitable practice as a veterinarian and owns a modern, well equipped veterinary hospital. His birth occurred in Marshall county, Iowa, on the 13th of May, 1882, and he is a son of Horace M. and Mary T. (Tomlinson) Nichols, both natives of Marshall county, Iowa, the former born in 1854 and the latter in 1855. The father farmed in his native county until 1910, when he retired and removed to Stroud, Oklahoma, where he still resides. In April, 1890, his wife was called to her reward.
Dr. Nichols was reared in Marshall county, Iowa, and received his early education in the public schools of Marshalltown. Subsequently he devoted three years to the study of agriculture in the State College at Ames and in the fall of 1902 he came to Buffalo county, Nebraska, and purchased a farm seven miles north of Gibbon. He operated that place until 1907, when he sold out and entered the University of Toronto at Toronto, Canada, where he took a veterinary course, graduating in April, 1910. In May of that year he returned to Buffalo county and located at Ravenna, where he has since remained. He has been very successful in his chosen profession and has gained the confidence
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
of the public and of his professional colleagues. In 1911 he erected an office and also a hospital, which is provided with all of the equipment of an up-to-date institution of the kind. In 1915 he built a good residence adjoining the hospital and he also owns other residence property in Ravenna which he rents, and holds title to a good farm in Keith county, this state. He is likewise a stockholder and director of the Sweetwater State Bank and financially he is in comfortable circumstances.
Dr. Nichols was married on the 24th of December, 1911, to Miss Esther Newberg, a daughter of George and Trina (Anderson) Newberg, natives respectively of Sweden and Norway. In 1880 they became settlers of Sherman county, Nebraska, locating eight miles north of Ravenna, where the father took up a homestead which he has since improved and operated. He has reached the age of seventy years and his wife is sixty-eight years old.
Dr. Nichols is a republican in his political belief but his professional duties have left him little time to take an active part in public affairs. He is a Methodist and fraternally his connection is with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He holds membership in the State Veterinary Medical Association and the Missouri Valley Veterinary Medical Association and in this way and by constant reading keeps in touch with the advanced thought that is being made in veterinary science. He has gained a wide acquaintance and his many excellent qualities have enabled him to win the warm regard and the respect of all with whom he has been associated.
REX M. JONES.
Rex M. Jones, a retired farmer living at Elm Creek, has witnessed much of the development of Buffalo county, as he has resided here for about forty-five years. His birth occurred at Norristown, Montgomery county, Pennsylvania, on the 30th of October, 1838, his parents being Mark and Eliza (Shearer) Jones, likewise natives of that county. The paternal grandfather, John Jones, was a native of Wales and met his death in 1850 by being kicked by a horse. The father of our subject was a wheelwright by trade but in his later years engaged in buying and shipping stock, and it was he who shipped the first load of cattle into Philadelphia over the Pennsylvania Central Railroad. A celebration was held in Philadelphia when the train arrived, as the importance of new railroad connections was recognized.
Rex M. Jones was intimately acquainted with Andrew Carnegie as a boy, as they often played together, and Mr. Carnegie drove boat mules on the Schuylkill river for our subject's grandfather. Mr. Jones received his education in the common schools and still has a picture of the schoolhouse where he attended school and on the picture is written "Plymouth Quaker Meeting House, built prior to 1680." When twelve years of age he entered the employ of Dan Rice, the famous show man of the early days, whose winter quarters were near his home. He drove the five horse team of the band wagon from Norristown, Pennsylvania, to Marion county, Ohio, being with the show the entire summer. In 1871 he removed to Yates City, Illinois, and was living there at the time of
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
the great Chicago fire. In December of that year he came to Buffalo county, Nebraska, and purchased one hundred and sixty acres of railroad land in what is now Elm Creek township. In March of the following year his family joined him and they took up their home upon the farm, which was totally unimproved. For a number of years they lived in a sod house but at length were able to erect a good frame residence. At the time that they settled in this county there was nothing at the town of Elm Creek save a railway station and a section house. Mr. Jones engaged in farming upon his place and not only brought his land to a high state of cultivation but also made many improvements upon it. About 1905 he put aside the active work of the fields and removed to Elm Creek, where he is now enjoying a period of well deserved leisure made possible by his well directed labors of the past.
Mr. Jones was married in Montgomery county, Pennsylvania, February 16, 1860, to Miss Mary Elizabeth Hart White, who was also born in Norristown. They have had four children, namely: William, who is working in the shops at North Platte, Nebraska; Elva, the wife of Ed Fitzgerald; Mark J., a merchant of Elm Creek; and Nettie, who died while attending school at Norristown, Pennsylvania.
Mr. Jones is a republican and although he has never held office has been quite influential in local political affairs, his support of a candidate going far toward securing his election. His people were stanch abolitionists at the time of the agitation against slavery and he himself drove many a slave over the underground railroad. His family were members of the Friends church and he has never departed from the faith in which he was reared. At the time of the Civil war he met and shook hands with Jefferson Davis, the president of the Confederacy, and he has many interesting reminiscences of that period of the country's history. In 1894 he visited his old home in Norristown, Pennsylvania, and he has in his possession a picture of the house in which he was born. He has gained his success by industry and good management, and the leisure which he now enjoys is well deserved. During the '50s he worked for twenty-five and fifty cents a day, but by the time that he removed to this county he had accumulated considerable capital so that, although he had to endure some hardships in this new region, he did not suffer as did some of the settlers.
EDWARD C. STANTON.
Edward C. Stanton, who is successfully conducting a retail liquor business in Ravenna, was born in Grundy county, Illinois, on the 7th of July, 1866, a son of Patrick and Mary (Dorgan) Stanton, natives respectively of La Salle county, Illinois, and Ireland. The father devoted his life to farming and followed agricultural pursuits in Grundy county, Illinois, until 1880, when he removed to Clay county, Nebraska. After renting land there for eight years he went to the vicinity of Kearney and purchased a farm which he cultivated until 1910. In that year he retired from active life and removed to Hartwell, where he is still living. His wife also survives.
Edward C. Stanton was reared and educated in his native county and
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
remained with his parents until he reached the age of thirty-one years. He then rented a farm which he operated for five years, at the end of which time he engaged in the saloon business at Gibbon. Two years later he came to Ravenna and for the past fourteen years he has conducted a retail liquor business here. He is a man of enterprise and good business judgment and is now in com- fortable circumstances.
On the i()th of June, 1905, Mr. Stanton was united in marriage to Miss Tonnie Hildebrand. Her parent?, John and Josephine (Slodivenik) Hildebraiid, were born in Bohemia but becarne .early settlers of Sherrnan county, Nebraska, where the father engaged in farming 'until his demise in 1888. The mother afterward married James Kostal, who is engaged in farming in Sherman county.
Mr. an,d Mrs. Stanton have a son, Edward P., whose birth occurred in June, 1908.
Mr. Stanton supports the republican party at the polls but has never had the time nor inclination to take an active part in political affairs. Fraternally he is identified with the Woodmen of the World and his religious faith is that of the Roman Catholic church. He is well known in Ravenna and since locating here has gained many friends.
JUNIUS S. DONNELL.
Junius S. Donnell is a comparatively recent addition to the citizenship of Kearney and Buffalo county, but already has made for himself an enviable and creditable place in the business and financial circles of the city, being now president of the Central National Bank. He is honored and respected by all who know him, not alone by reason of the success he has achieved but also because of the straightforward business policy which he has ever followed. He was born at Oak Ridge, North Carolina, on the 8th of February, 1865, and the first twenty-one years of his life were passed in that locality, during which period he worked upon the home farm and completed his educational training at the Oak Ridge high school. During the summer of 1886, having attained his majority, he went to Kansas and embarked in mercantile pursuits at Ness City. Two years later he became a resident of Dotham, Missouri, where for ten years he continued in the same line of business. It was on the expiration of that period that he entered upon his banking career, serving as cashier of the Exchange Bank in Fairfax, Missouri, for six years, then becoming the owner of the Farmers & Merchants Bank at Craig, Missouri, which he operated for five years.
In 1910 Mr. Donnell removed to Kearney and entered business circles here as assistant cashier of the City National Bank, bringing with him the ripe experience of a successful business man and banker. Two years later he became the cashier of the Central National Bank and in 1915 was elected its president, the position which he now occupies. He is bending his energies toward administrative direction and executive control and the wisdom of his judgment and his keen sagacity find expression in the growing success of the institution of which he is the head.
In January, 1901, Mr. Donnell was united in marriage to Miss Una Whitford, and to them have been born two children, Marian and Francis. The family
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
attend the services of the Christian church and are interested in the moral progress of the community. Mr. Donnell is also a member of the Kearney Commercial Club and cooperates heartily in all of its plans and projects for the city's upbuilding and development. Fraternally he is connected with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and the Knights of Pythias, and his political allegiance is given to the democratic party. He now considers Kearney as his permanent home and is interested in all that pertains to its welfare and the substantial growth of the community.
JOHN F. DAUL.
John F. Daul, who owns five hundred acres of excellent land, is one of the most successful and progressive farmers of Elm Creek township. He was born in Washington county, Wisconsin, thirty miles north of Milwaukee, on the 26th of May, 1852. A sketch of his father, Frederick Daul, appears elsewhere in this work. During our subject's childhood the family removed to Kewaunee county, Wisconsin, and there he grew to mature years. In 1873 removal was made to Buffalo county, Nebraska, the father, who was quite well-to-do, chartering a car and shipping a team of horses and his household goods by rail. The family settled in what is now Elm Creek township, where the father purchased a half section of railroad land.
John F. Daul had but limited school advantages, as, being the oldest in the family, he had to go to work when a boy. He received thorough training under his father in all kinds of agricultural labor and continued to assist with the operation of the home farm until he was thirty-five years of age. He then located upon his present place, which he has brought to a high state of development. He has made all of the improvements, which compare favorably with those of other farms in the neighborhood, and has carefully conserved the fertility of the soil. He holds title to five hundred acres of land, from which he derives a gratifying income. For a few years he lived elsewhere, but has again taken up his residence on his farm. While living in Wisconsin he began running a threshing outfit and continued in that business for twenty-four consecutive seasons, becoming very expert in that work. He claims that in the twenty-four years he did not waste as much grain as most threshers of the present day do on one job, as he not only understood the business thoroughly but also took pains to do the work well and to avoid waste.
Mr. Daul was married in 1880 in this county to Miss Addie E. Milbourn, who was born in McLean county, Illinois, but accompanied her parents to this county in 1872. Further mention of her father, Washington Milbourn, appears elsewhere in this work. Previous to her marriage she worked for others, receiving a wage of one dollar per week. To Mr. and Mrs. Daul have been born two children. John O., who is a hardware merchant of Elm Creek, married Miss Olive Fitzgerald, a daughter of Daniel Fitzgerald, an early settler of Buffalo county. She passed away leaving a daughter, Mary Alice, now three years old, who is living with our subject and his wife. Fred, the younger son, is living with his parents. He has spent considerable time in the west and owns two
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
hundred acres of land near Baker, Oregon, and one hundred and sixty acres in Colorado.
Mr. Daul is independent in politics, voting for the man rather than the party. At one time he served as township treasurer and proved a very capable and conscientious official. Both he and his wife belong to the Catholic church, in the work of which they take a commendable interest. They are widely known throughout the county in which they have lived for many years, and their genuine worth is indicated in the fact, that those who have been most intimately associated with them are their stanchest friends.
GADDIS P. HAGEMAN.
Gaddis P. Hageman, who is living retired in Ravenna, is entitled to honor as a veteran of the Civil war, having served in that conflict as a member of an Ohio regiment. He was born in Milford, Clermont county, Ohio, on the 17th of September, 1841, and his parents, Simon and Delilah (Wood) Hageman, were also born in that state, where they continued to reside until about 1863, when they removed with their family to Johnsom, Nemaha county, Nebraska. The father followed the tailor's trade throughout his life and was very successful in that connection. He passed away when almost eighty-six years of age, on the 30th of September, 1903, and was survived by his wife until the 27th f November, 1904, her demise occurring when she was past the age of eighty-one years.
Gaddis P. Hageman was reared in Shelby county, Ohio, and attended the common schools there in the acquirement of his education. On the 16th of September, 1861, the day before his twentieth birthday, he enlisted in. Company F, Twentieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, with which he went to the front. On the 12th of May, 1863, he was wounded in the head at Raymond, Mississippi. On leaving the hospital on the 24th of May he was taken prisoner and was confined in Libby prison until the 7th of June. He subsequently rejoined his regiment and remained in military service until the 19th of July, 1865, when he was honorably discharged. He has never recovered from the effects of his wound as it impaired his hearing.
After his return from the army Mr. Hageman worked as a common laborer until 1880, when he removed to Gage county, Nebraska. For four years he operated rented land near Wymore but at the end of that time removed to the town and became connected with the coal and grain business. He was engaged in that field in Wymore until 1906, when he went to Edgemont, South Dakota, where he remained for three years, after which he came to Ravenna, Nebraska, and he has since lived in honorable retirement from the cares of business life. His well directed labors in former years were rewarded by a substantial financial return and he has more than sufficient to provide him with the comforts of life.
Mr. Hageman was married on the 19th of November, 1867, to Miss Mary J. Hawkins, a daughter of Richard and Lydia (Davis) Hawkins, natives respectively of Kentucky and of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Her father engaged in
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
farming in the Buckeye state until his demise, which occurred in 1869. He was survived for about six years by his wife, who passed away in 1875.
Mr. and Mrs. Hageman have become the parents of ten children. Martha A., born on the 23d of September, 1868, is now the wife of P. G. Calkins, of Woodruff, Kansas. Anna L., whose birth occurred on the 1st of February, 1870, married C. H. Rockey and they reside in Alliance, Nebraska, Charles O., born on the 2d of May, 1872, is now an engineer on the Burlington Railroad and resides in Ravenna. Arthur L., whose natal day was June 25, 1874, is now living at Brocksburg, this state. Albert E. was born December 23, 1876, and is now a resident of Fort Collins, Colorado. Simon R., whose birth occurred on the 7th of March, 1878, is a resident of Kansas City, Missouri. Harold G., born November 30, 1880, is a machinist and resides at Sheridan, Wyoming. Ennis L., born March 21, 1885, died on the 21st of August of that year. Rosie M. was born on the 8th of September, 1886, and married E. L. Routh, who is a fireman on the Burlington Railroad and resides in Ravenna. The other member of the family died in infancy.
Mr. Hageman has been a republican since age conferred upon him the right of franchise and takes pride in the fact that the first man for whom he voted for president was Abraham Lincoln. His religious faith is that of the Methodist church, and his only fraternal associations are with the Grand Army of the Republic. He greatly enjoys meeting his old comrades and never tires of reliving the days when he marched with Sherman to the sea and aided in the defense of the Union. Since removing to Ravenna he has gained the full confidence and the sincere respect of his fellow citizens, who recognize in him a man of sterling character.
Chris Wedemeyer is now living practically retired on a well improved place of twenty acres at the edge of Ravenna but still holds title to valuable farms in Schneider and Garfield townships. A native of Germany, his birth occurred in September, 1861, and he is a son of Conrad and Margaret (Todter) Wedemeyer, also natives of Germany. The father devoted his entire active life to farming and passed away in his native land in 1888. He was survived for twelve years by his wife, who died in 1900.
Chris Wedemeyer received his education in the fatherland and remained at home until he was fourteen years of age but in 1876 he decided to take advantage of the opportunities offered in America and on emigrating to this country went to Casey, Iowa, where he had relatives. He worked as a farm hand until he was twenty-one years of age and then rented land in Montgomery county, Iowa, which he cultivated for a year. At the end of that time he came to Buffalo county, Nebraska, and purchased land in Schneider township, on which he resided until 1911, when he retired and, renting the farm, removed to his present home on twenty acres of land on the outskirts of Ravenna. He built a fine modern residence and has otherwise improved his place, and his farm in Schneider township is also in a high state of development. In addition to the four hundred
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
acres which he owns in that township he holds title to a half section in Garfield township and his income from his land is sufficient to provide him with the comforts and some of the luxuries of life. In addition to his real estate holdings he owns stock in the Ravenna Electric Light plant and the Ravenna Telephone Company.
Mr. Wedemeyer was married in January, 1910, to Mrs. Minnie (Evers) Wedemeyer, widow of his brother Henry. She is a daughter of Peter H. and Marie (Mueller) Evers, natives of Germany, who in 1882 located in Denison, Iowa. They are still living there and both have reached the age of eighty-one years. By her marriage to Henry Wedemeyer, who died in 1900, Mrs. Wedemeyer has three sons, namely, Fred, Henry and Bernhard, all of whom are farming in Schneider township.
Mr. Wedemeyer is independent in politics as he believes that the qualifications of a candidate are of more importance than his party allegiance. In religious faith he is a Lutheran, and fratertially he belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America. In 1914 he and his wife made a trip to Germany and were there at the time of the outbreak of the European war. He began his career as a boy in his teens without capital other than his energy and sound judgment but through persistent and well directed labor has gained financial independence. His sterling qualities of character have also won him the sincere respect and esteem of his fellow citizens.
ISAAC K. HENNINGER.
Isaac K. Henninger, a resident farmer of Sharon township, makes his home on section 22 and holds title to nine hundred and forty acres of land. He was born in Ohio, October 20, 1868, a son of Captain Solomon F. and Barbara (Kaufman) Henninger, the former a native of Ohio and the latter of Erie county, Pennsylvania. The father was reared in his native state and at the outbreak of the Civil war in 1861 he enlisted as a member of Company H, Twentieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, with which he served for four years, or until the close of the war, being promoted to the captaincy of his company. After the cessation of hostilities he returned to his home in Trumbull county, Ohio, purchased a farm and settled down to the pursuits of peace. In the spring of 1872 he came with his family to Nebraska, settling in Buffalo county, and upon his arrival homesteaded a quarter section of land which is now owned by his son Isaac. The father afterward purchased other lands, owning at one time five hundred and sixty acres, so that he was numbered among the extensive landowners of the county. He remained upon the old homestead until 1892, when he retired and removed to Shelton, where his death occurred February 17, 1908. He was one of the well known pioneers of Buffalo county, a man of sterling character, highly esteemed wherever known and most highly honored where best known. His wife was born in Erie county, Pennsylvania, July 31, 1833,and during her girlhood removed with her parents to Trumbull county, Ohio, where, on the 29th of March, 1855, she was united in marriage to Solomon F. Henninger. She was a member of the Presbyterian church and was widely known as a consistent
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
Christian woman and a devoted and loving wife and mother. She passed away at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Eugene Freeman, of Beatrice, Nebraska, on the 24th of November, 1914; after which her remains were brought back to Shelton for interment by the side of her husband in the Shelton cemetery.
Isaac K. Henninger acquired a public school education and assisted his father in the early development and improvement of the home farm. In 1892 he took charge of the home place of three hundred and twenty acres and has since cultivated that land. Upon his father's death he acquired title to the homestead property of one hundred and sixty acres. He is accounted one of the progressive and enterprising agriculturists of his district and his place presents a neat and attractive appearance, embodying all progressive methods of farming. He has added to his holdings and now owns nine hundred and forty acres. He is a stockholder of the Farmers Elevator Company of Shelton and he is one of the extensive live stock dealers of the county, feeding three carloads of sheep annually.
On the 6th of December, 1893, Mr. Henninger was married to Miss Elizabeth E. Slattery, a daughter of Martin Slattery, one of the earliest of the Buffalo county pioneers. He was born in Ireland August 31, 1831, and his parents died when he was but fourteen years of age. He afterward came to the United States to make his home with a married sister in Ohio and in 1863 he removed to Pennsylvania, where in 1866 he was united in marriage to Mrs. Margaret Carmichael. The same year he came West to make a home for himself and his bride, choosing Shelton, Nebraska, as his location. There he was employed for some years by the Union Pacific Railroad Company, but resigned his position to engage in farming, in which vocation he won substantial success, acquiring eight hundred acres of valuable land in Buffalo county. He possessed many sterling characteristics that endeared him to all and made his death, which occurred on the 27th of May, 1896, a matter of wide regret. Mr. and Mrs. Henninger have become the parents of two children: Franklin S., who is attending the State University; and George Stewart, a pupil in the Shelton high school.
Mr. Henninger is a member of Shelton Lodge, No. 99, A. F. & A. M.; Shelton Lodge, No. 92, K. P.; and of the Loyal Mystic Legion; while his wife holds membership in the Presbyterian church. In politics he is a democrat and for many years has served as a member of the town board and cooperates heartily and earnestly in all measures and movements that look to the betterment and benefit of the community. His life has been one of diligence and untiring industry and he ranks with the leading agriculturists of his part of the state.
C. L. EWER.
The spirit of progress and advancement actuates C. L. Ewer at every point in his career. The consensus of public opinion names him as one of the most alert, enterprising and progressive business men of Pleasanton, who has worked untiringly for the interests of the town as well as to promote his individual advancement along business lines. He is now manager of the lumberyards of
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
the Farmers Grain Company at Pleasanton, and is one of the citizens whom Buffalo county is proud to number among her native sons. His birth occurred in Cedar township, on the 2d of February, 1885, his parents being Abraham Lincoln and Elizabeth (Tollefsen) Ewer. The father, who is still living on the old home farm in Cedar township, was one of the old settlers of Buffalo county, having made his home within its borders from early pioneer times.
C. L. Ewer was reared on the old homestead and the district schools afforded him his educational privileges, while in the school of experience he has also learned many valuable lessons, particularly concerning business management. On reaching his majority in 1906 he identified himself with the lumber business, accepting a position in the office of the F. H. Gilcrest Lumber Company of Pleasanton. He remained in charge of the yards of this company up to the time they were absorbed by the Farmers Grain Company in July, 1915, at which time he was made manager of the business and in that capacity is still serving. He is determined and progressive, readily discriminating between the essential and the non-essential and watchful at all times for those opportunities which lead to general advancement.
Mr. Ewer was married in November, 1911, to Miss Ella Smith, of Elmwood, Nebraska, and to them have been born two children, Frederick C. and Bruce M. Mr. Ewer is a member of Lotus Lodge, F. & A. M. of Ravenna, and also has membership with the Royal Highlanders. In politics he is independent with republican tendencies, and he is serving as present clerk in his township. He ranks with the representative business men of his community. He is never afraid to venture where favoring opportunity leads the way and he is fortunate in that he possesses character and ability which inspire confidence in others, the simple weight of his character and ability carrying him into important business and public relations.
FINIS MORRISON BARNEY.
Finis Morrison Barney, who is engaged in the jewelry business in Elm Creek, was born at Roanoke, Woodford county, Illinois, on the 11th of August, 1864, and is the third son of Calvin E. and Eliza A. (Morrison) Barney, the former of whom was born in Windham, Vermont, March 10, 1837; and the latter in Lancashire, England, June 5, 1840. Four children were born to them, two of whom are still living. Our subject is a descendent in the ninth generation of Jacob Barney, who with a brother emigrated from England in 1634 and settled at Salem, Massachusetts, since which time the family has resided in America. The great-grandfather of our subject was closely identified with the War of the Revolution, sacrificing his fortune in behalf of the cause of independence. Hiram Barney, the grandfather of our subject, was born in Chester, Vermont, on the 10th of March, 1809, and on the 31st of December, 1831, was united in marriage to Miss Clarissa Marshall. To them ten children were born, nine of whom grew to manhood and womanhood and five are still living. In 1810 Hiram Barney removed to Richland county, Illinois, but in 1854 took up his residence in Woodford county, that state where he made his home for twenty-