birth occurred in New York on the 28th of May, 1872; Frank, born in Iowa City, Iowa, in September, 1873; Amos, whose birth occurred in Iowa City in June, 1875, and who died on the 22d of September, 1906; Charles, who was born in Iowa City on the 17th of October, 1877; Emma, whose birth occurred on the 12th of October, 1878, and who died on the 2d of September, 1908, leaving five children; Joseph, who was born on the 22d of February, 1881, and is a resident of Spokane, Washington; Clara, who was born in Sherman county, Nebraska, in August, 1882; Libbie, whose birth occurred in Sherman county on the 21st of May, 1884; William, born in Sherman county on the 15th of September, 1885; James, born on the 2ist of November, 1887; Vlasta, born July 19, 1889; John, whose birth occurred on the 5th of February, 1891, and who died on the 19th of that month; and Albert, who was born on the 7th of February, 1892, and died on the 28th of March, 1895.
Mr. Fiala is a stalwart adherent of the democratic party and has always taken the keenest interest in public affairs. He has at all times manifested that high order of patriotism which is ready to subordinate personal interests to the general welfare and at the time of the Spanish-American war he signified his willingness to serve his country as a soldier, offering to raise a regiment of Bohemian-American volunteers for service whenever needed. Governor Holcomb personally thanked Mr. Fiala and promised him the privilege asked in case more troops were required, but, as Nebraska's quota was already more than filled, he was not given the opportunity to raise his regiment. For six years he served as justice of the peace in Sherman county, this state, and he was also elected county supervisor and county treasurer, but would not accept those offices. Fraternally he belongs to the Bohemian Lodge and he was a charter member of both the Knights of Pythias and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, but has since demitted from those organizations. For many years he has been recognized as one of the leading citizens of Bohemian descent in Nebraska and it was largely due to his influence that the Bohemian settlements in this locality were formed. Moreover, during the pioneer days of the county he often sheltered immigrants who had recently arrived and were without funds and there are many families who are now in prosperous circumstances who owe their success largely to him, as he aided them in getting a start in this new country. He was reared in the faith of the Roman Catholic church but is now a free thinker, and he has often been called upon to officiate at the funeral of those holding similar beliefs. He has always conformed his life to high standards of ethics and his genuine worth is acknowledged by all who have been brought in contact with him in any relation of life.
HARRY N. JONES, D. D. S
Dentistry may be said to be almost unique among occupations, as it is at one a profession, a trade and a business. Such being the case, it follows that in order to attain the highest success in it, one must be thoroughly conversant with the theory of the profession, must be expert with the many tools and appliances incidental to the practice of modern dentistry and must possess business qualifica-
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
tions adequate to dealing with the financial side. In all of these particulars Dr. Harry N. Jones is well qualified and therefore has attained prestige among the able representatives of dentistry in Kearney, where he has maintained an office since January, 1909. He was born in Fremont county, Iowa, near Sidney, on the 17th of October, 1875, and in his youthful days accompanied his parents on their removal to Kansas, the family home being established upon a farm near Mankato, where he was reared. He there attended the public schools of the district and afterward continued his education in the high school of Minden, Nebraska, while later he spent three years as a student in the State University at Lincoln. He was in the period of early manhood at the time of the outbreak of the war with Spain and, loyal to his native country, he enlisted in 1898 as a member of Company D, First Nebraska Volunteer Infantry. With his regiment he went to Manila and saw active service for five months in the Philippines, participating with his regiment in nearly all of the military engagements that occurred on the islands. He then returned to the United States and was honorably discharged at San Francisco, August 23, 1899, coming out without a wound, although he was many times in the thickest of the fight.
When his military experience was over Dr. Jones became a fireman on an engine of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad, running out of McCook, Nebraska, for three years but became imbued with the desire to enter upon a professional career and, deciding upon dentistry, he entered the Chicago College of Dental Surgery, from which he was graduated with the class of 1905. He then practiced for a year at Holdredge and for two years at Kenesaw, Nebraska, and in January, 1909, he located at Kearney, where he has since continued, having now a well appointed office equipped with the latest appliances of dental surgery. He is doing excellent work, for he keeps in touch with the advanced methods of the profession and possesses that mechanical skill which is in indispensable requisite of the dentist.
On the 19th of June, 1907, Dr. Jones was united in marriage to Miss Minnie Rowell, a native of Mount Ayr, Iowa, who was reared and educated in McCook, Nebraska, and they have one son, Glenn Rowell, who was born October 10, 1914. Dr. Jones gives his political allegiance to the republican party and fraternally he is connected with the Masons, the-Knights of Pythias and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. Both he and his wife hold membership in the Episcopal church and they are well known socially in Kearney, where they have gained a wide acquaintance and won many friends, their own home being a most hospitable one.
CHARLES W. SHAHAN.
Charles W. Shahan, who has been identified with the commercial development of Kearney during the past quarter of a century, is now manager and treasurer of the Kearney Hardware Company, which controls one of the leading mercantile establishments of the county. He is a man of resolute purpose and unfaltering determination who carries forward to successful completion whatever he undertakes. A native of West Virginia, he was born at Kingwood on the 2d of November, 1870, a son of John W. and Diana E. (Parsons) Shahan.
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
Charles W. Shahan was but eight years of age when he accompanied his parents to Buffalo county and was a youth of fifteen when the family home was established in Kearney. He completed his education in the Kearney schools and entered upon his business career as a clerk in the hardware store of Hubbell Brothers, while later he secured a similar position with the W. E. Jackway Hardware Company. In 1905 he formed a corporation that bought out the last named concern and merged it into the Kearney Hardware Company, which has developed into one of the leading mercantile enterprises of the city. They carry a large and well selected stock of shelf and heavy hardware and their trade has constantly grown as the result of commercial methods which will bear the closest investigation and scrutiny.
On the 22d of November, 1893, Mr. Shahan was married to Miss Mabel H. Rice and he and his wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal church, while in the social circles of the city they occupy a prominent and enviable position. Fraternally Mr. Shahan is connected with the Modern Woodmen, with the Odd Fellows and with the Highlanders. In politics he is a republican but aside from exercising his right of franchise and manifesting a keen interest in the welfare of the country he has taken no active part in politics nor in any sense has he been an office seeker. His whole time and attention are devoted to his business affairs, and to the general material progress and development of city and county. He is remiss in none of the duties of citizenship and supports all plans and measures for the public good. His private business affairs are an element in Kearney's commercial activity and she is proud to number him among her representative merchants. He has conducted his interests along well defined lines of labor and the intelligent direction of his activities has brought him well merited prosperity.
ALMON G. BOWER.
Almon G. Bower, who is engaged in the undertaking business at Kearney, is a representative of an old family of Indiana and was born at Wolcottville, Lagrange county, that state, April 13, 1851. His father, Philip Bower, was a native of Ohio and became a cabinetmaker by trade, but in later life turned his attention to farming. He was married in Ohio to Miss Mary Yager and in pioneer times removed to Indiana, settling in the midst of the forests of Lagrange county, where he had to cut down the timber and make a clearing in order to develop a farm. It was in that frontier home that all of his children were born, with the exception of the eldest. He continued to engage in general agricultural pursuits and also to some extent worked at his trade. In the early days he cut the live timber, sawed it and converted it into coffins for the dead or used it in the construction of household furniture.
It was upon the homestead farm that Almon G. Bower was reared to manhood, and in the district schools of the neighborhood he acquired his education. After attaining his majority he taught in the district schools for two terms, and the entire period of his youth was one of earnest and unremitting toil, during which he shared with the family in all of the hardships and privations incident to pioneer life. When nineteen years of age he went to Montana and
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
for two years was employed in a mill at Helena before the railroad had reached that place. He afterward returned to Indiana, where he engaged in farming for three years, and while there residing he was married.
In 1885 Mr. Bower came to Nebraska and for a number of years resided at Ulysses, Butler county, where he engaged in the undertaking business. In 1898 he came to Kearney and has here since made his home. For a time he was engaged in the furniture and undertaking business but for a number of years has devoted his attention exclusively to the latter and for some time his son, Verne R., has been associated with him. The son was probably the youngest licensed embalmer in the state when he was graduated from the H. S. Eckles Embalming School of Philadelphia in the year 1906. A. G. Bower is also a licensed embalmer, having completed the prescribed course at Lincoln, being one of the first in the state to receive a diploma.
Mr. Bower was united in marriage to Miss Mary I. Meeker and they became the parents of two children: one who died in childhood; and Carrie, the wife of Artie Dickinson, of Indiana. After the death of his first wife, Mr. Bower married Clara L. Hibbard, and the children born to this union are as follows: Verne R., who is in partnership in the undertaking business in Kearney with his father and wedded Miss Mabel A. Wallace, by whom he has a daughter, Ardis; Clyde H., who resides on a ranch in Douglas, Wyoming, and married Miss Hazel Tracy, by whom he has two children; and Clara, at home, attending the State Normal School at Kearney. The wife and mother passed away in 1906 and Mr. Bower subsequently wedded Miss Mabel Flint, who was a teacher in the public schools of Kearney. Mrs. Mary Bower and Mrs. Clara Bower had also taught school prior to marriage. Almon G. and Mabel (Flint) Bower are members of the Methodist Episcopal church and are well known in the city in which they reside. They have gained a wide acquaintance and have an extensive circle of warm friends who appreciate their many sterling traits of character and entertain for them the highest regard.
J. H. RODGERS.
J. H. Rodgers, of Gibbon township, who is meeting with gratifying success as a farmer, was born in Greene county, Ohio, on the 10th of November, 1869, of the marriage of William A. and Mary E. Rodgers, both natives of Fayette county, that state. In 1882 they migrated with their family to Buffalo county, Nebraska, and settled in the town of Gibbon. The father, however, purchased seven hundred and twenty acres of land in Valley township, and there began breeding full blooded cattle, having brought some pure blooded Shorthorns and Jerseys from Ohio. After living in Gibbon for four years he removed to his farm a half mile west of that town and there resided until his death, which occurred in 1911. His wife survives and makes her home with her children. He was a stanch republican in politics and was for ten years postmaster of Gibbon and for three terms has served on the board of county supervisors. He was at one time the republican nominee for the legislature but as that year
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
was marked by a populist landslide he was defeated. He held membership in the Masonic order and was buried with Masonic honors.
J. H. Rodgers received a good education and remained at home until he attained his majority. He then accepted a position with the Gibbon Milling Company, with which he remained for about five years, at the end of which time he decided to devote his life to farming and took charge of the operation of the home farm. He raises both grain and high grade stock and derives a good income from both branches of his business. He is thoroughly practical and at the same time progressive, and the prosperity which he has gained is well deserved.
Mr. Rodgers was married in 1897 to Miss Jennie M. Robb, of Gibbon, by whom he has two children, Myrl G. and Mary A. Mr. Rodgers supports the republican party at the polls and discharges to the full all of the duties of a good citizen. He has spent the greater part of his life in this county and has thoroughly identified his interests with those of his community, cooperating in movements seeking the general welfare.
William Fowler, who is living retired in Ravenna after many years of successful farming, was born in Indiana on the 3d of December, 1846. His parents, John and Nancy (Culver) Fowler, were both natives of Kentucky but removed to Indiana in the early '40sú The father rented land there, to the cultivation of which he devoted the remainder of his life. He passed away in 1884 and the mother died in August, 1882.
William Fowler was reared in his native state and received his education in its common schools. In August, 1862, when not yet fifteen years of age, he enlisted in Company G, Sixty-sixth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and went to the front with that command. He was taken prisoner in the first engagement in which he participated--the battle of Richmond, Kentucky--and after being held for three days was paroled. At the close of the war he returned home and resided with his parents until 1867, when, at the age of twenty-one years, he emoved to the northeastern part of Missouri and began farming on his own account. He operated rented land there until 1877, in which year he came to Nebraska and settled in Sherman county, just across the line from Buffalo county. He took up a quarter section as a homestead and as soon as possible brought his land under cultivation. From time to time he made improvements upon his place and in his work used the latest machinery, thus increasing his efficiency. In 1908, believing that he had accumulated sufficient capital, he retired from active life and, selling his farm, removed to Ravenna, where he built a fine residence four blocks north of the schoolhouse. His home is thoroughly modern and he lacks none of the comforts of life. He also erected another good residence which he rents.
On the 3d of November, 1868, Mr. Fowler was united in marriage to Ellen Pickett, a daughter of James and Mary (Evett) Pickett, natives of Indiana. Her father devoted his life to farming and at the time of his demise was living in Crawford county, Indiana. He and his four sons were all members of Company
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
H, Twenty-third Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served during three years of the Civil war. He passed away on the 8th of February, 1900, and his wife died on the 26th of December, 1868. Mr. and Mrs. Fowler have become the parents of six children, namely: Lina, who was born on the I7th of March, 1870, and is now the wife of John Jungle, of Ravenna; Sima, who was born on the 11th of September, 1872, and died on the 8th of February, 1874; Minnie, whose birth occurred on the 17th of July, 1873, and who is now the widow of Oscar J. Binden, and resides in Montana; Ursula, who was born October ii, 1875, and is the wife of Edwin Callaway, a farmer of Sherman county; Susie, who was born January 20, 1881, and gave her hand in marriage to Harry Branton, of Great Falls, Montana; and William, Jr., whose birth occurred July 14, 1884, and who was killed in a railroad accident in California on the 19th of October, 1914. Mr. and Mrs. Fowler also have an adopted daughter, Katheryn O'Neill Fowler, who was born on the 26th of August, 1889, and whom they have reared since she was a week old.
Mr. Fowler supports the democratic party at the polls and in times of peace has manifested the same willingness to subordinate personal interests to the general good that prompted him to enlist in the Union army at the time of the Civil war. He is a loyal member of the Grand Army of the Republic, thus keeping in touch with his comrades, and his religious faith is that of the Methodist Episcopal church. The leisure which he now enjoys is the direct result of his industry and good management in former years and all of his friends rejoice in his prosperity.
Oran H. Crumley, of Shelton, has met with marked success as a stock feeder and dealer and is also a large landowner in the county. He was born in Green county, Iowa, on the 13th of March, 1871, a son of Jacob and Sarah Crumley, natives respectively of Virginia and Ohio. In 1856 they became residents of Iowa and twelve years later they removed to Otoe county, Nebraska, whence they subsequently came to Buffalo county, where both are still living. They had twelve children but seven have passed away.
Oran H. Crumley was given good educational advantages, completing a high school course. On beginning his independent career he turned his attention to dealing in hogs and cattle but subsequently engaged in merchandising in Shelton for ten years. In 1907 he sold his store and reentered the live stock business. He buys and sells stock of all kinds and his good business judgment, combined with his thorough knowledge of stock, enables him to secure a good profit from his transactions. He is also one of the heaviest stock feeders in the county and he and his wife together own sixteen hundred.acres of finely improved land. Through his enterprise and good management he has gained financial independence and he has also been a factor in promoting stock raising interests throughout the county.
Mr. Crumley was married in 1898 to Miss Nora Meisner, a native of Buffalo county and a daughter of George and Rachel Meisner, both deceased. Her
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
father was one of the wealthy men of this county and was widely and favorably known. Mr. and Mrs. Crumley have become the parents of six children: Rachel, who is attending high school; Leon L.; Lawrence and Loyal, twins; one who died in infancy; and Oran.
Mr. Crumley is a stanch adherent of the republican party but his extensive business interests have left him no time to take an active part in politics. He is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias and the Elks, and his wife is a member of the Presbyterian church. He not only has the respect of all who have been associated with him in any relation of life but has also gained the warm friendship of many.
WALTER L. STICKEL.
Walter L. Stickel is a well known lumberman of Kearney and in various other ways has been identified with the business development of the city through the past decade and a half. He is a western man in birth, in spirit and in training and the enterprise which has dominated the upbuilding of this section of the country finds exemplification in his life. He was born in Kansas on the 3d of December, 1872, a son of Fletcher A. and Nancy (Scott) Stickel. His father was a lumberman and it was in his employ that Walter L. Stickel learned the business in all of its details and ramifications. His youthful days were passed in attendance at the public schools and in rendering assistance to his father at the lumberyard, and he completed his scholastic training in Baker University at Baldwin, Kansas, and at Cornell (Ia.) College. His initial independent effort in business was made in 1894, when he purchased a lumberyard in Council Grove, Kansas, which he conducted for seven years and then sold. In 1901 he came to Kearney and purchased the lumber business of George H. Downing & Son. Since that time he has purchased other yards and has opened branch establishments at various points. He has also extended the scope of his business to include the retailing of coal and he is today regarded as one of the most prominent lumbermen of Nebraska, his operations in that field being very extensive. In various other ways his energy and business ability have contributed to the upbuilding of Kearney and of Buffalo county. His diligence is at all times a tangible asset in his success and in commercial affairs his judgment is sound and his sagacity keen. His company owns the "1733 Ranch," so named because it lies seventeen hundred and thirty-three miles from each of the cities of Boston and San Francisco. It lies wholly within the borders of Buffalo county, near Kearney, and is one of the old historic places of this part of the state, comprising over five thousand acres of rich and productive land. It is a credit to the county and to its owner. In addition to his other interests Mr. Stickel is a director of the Central National Bank. In business affairs he displays sound judgment and keen sagacity, recognizing and utilizing opportunities which others pass heedlessly by. His interests have extended in scope and importance yearly year and placed him in a most prominent and enviable position among the business men in the western part of the state.
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
In June, 1894, Mr. Stickel was united in marriage to Miss Anna May Wells, by whom he has three children, namely: Edna A, Daphne and Walter L, Jr. Mr. Stickel belongs to the Kearney Commercial Club and cooperates in all of its plans for the development of the city along business lines and for the advancement of municipal interests. In politics he is a republican and is a supporter of all those measures which are a matter of civic virtue and civic pride. Fraternally he is a Knight Templar Mason and member of the Mystic Shrine and also belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. To him belongs the honor of completing the first seedling mile of the Lincoln Highway in the state of Nebraska and thus he is taking active part in improving public highways. In a word he is a most public-spirited citizen, never neglecting his duties or his obligations in relation to the general welfare, and his cooperation has proved a valuable asset in furthering plans and projects for the public good. At the same time he is a most forceful and resourceful business man whose executive ability and excellent management have brought to the concerns with which he is connected a large degree of success.
JAMES B. MINER.
James B. Miner, a well known farmer residing in Ravenna, was born in Ohio on the 15th of October, 1854, and is a son of John and Rebecca (Dudgeon) Miner, an account of whose lives appears in the sketch of Charles Miner. Our subject was reared and educated in Shellrock, Butler county, Iowa, and remained with his parents until he became of age. He then began working for others although he continued, to reside at home for several years, but at length he rented land, from the cultivation of which he gained a fair income. He carefully saved his money and when twenty-eight years of age he purchased forty acres and two years later bought eighty acres more. The operation of his farm occupied his time and attention.
In January, 1887, Mr. Miner sold that place and came to Ravenna, Buffalo county, Nebraska, as he had heard that there were good opportunities for the agriculturist in this section. He bought a quarter section one and a half miles south of the town and at once set about improving the place, which he soon brought to a high state of development. He invested his capital in more land from time to time and at one time held title to eight hundred acres. He has since sold one hundred and sixty acres but still owns an entire section, which lies on sections 20, 21 and 8, Garfield township, the buildings being on section 21. He is still operating that place but since 1910 has lived in Ravenna. He goes back and forth to the farm and gives his personal attention to the cultivation of crops and the care of stock. He receives a handsome return from his land and is financially independent. He raises a considerable number of cattle annually and has nothing but high grade stock. In addition to his farming interests he has other investments, owning stock in the Ravenna Electric Light & Power Company.
Mr. Miner was married in October, 1879, to Miss Minnie Rowley, who was born in New York on the 3d of November, 1862, and who is a daughter of David
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
and Arlatia (Woodruff) Rowley, natives of the Empire state. The father was a farmer by occupation and in 1870 removed with his family to Butler county, Iowa, where he purchased land which he operated for many years. At length, feeling that he had accumulated a competence, he retired from active life and removed to Shellrock, where he died in March, 1909. His wife passed away in August, 1900.
Mr. and Mrs. Miner have become the parents of eleven children, namely: Guy D., who was born July 4, 1881, and died in April, 1901; Edith, who was born on the 4th of August, 1882, and who is now the wife of James Runyon, of Minatare, Nebraska; Bertha, born January 22, 1884, now the wife of Lewis Case, who is farming land belonging to our subject; Floyd, who was born March 6, 1886, and is road overseer of Garfield township; Lee, who was born January 30, 1889, and is farming in this county; Walter, born December 23, 1890, who married Nellie E. Duncan and is a dentist at Norfolk, Nebraska; Arlatia, who was born April 2, 1893, and is now the wife of Clifton Turner, a resident of Minatare, Nebraska; and Elizabeth, born January 12, 1896, Fay, born April 18, 1897, Raymond, April 17, 1899, and Ethel, March 23, 1901, all of whom are at home.
Mr. Miner gives his political allegiance to the republican party and has served for six years as constable, proving efficient and energetic in the discharge of his duties. He belongs to the Methodist Episcbpal church and is also identified with the Modern Brotherhood of America. He is not only energetic and practical in carrying on his farm work but he is also progressive, adopting new methods that promise to be of value. Since removing to Ravenna in order to give his children the advantages of the public schools here he has interested himself in the progress of the community along various lines and is recognized as a public-spirited citizen.
F. A. MUELLER.
F. A. Mueller, cashier of the Farmers State Bank of Pleasanton, was one of the dominant factors in the organization of this institution and is now a member of its board of directors, taking active part in shaping its policy and directing its growth. In business affairs his plans are always well defined and his enterprise has led him steadily forward to the goal of success. He was born in Germany, fourteen miles south of Berlin, on the 14th of June, 1881, a son of Ludwig and Ida (Kupferschmidt) Mueller, who came to the United States in 1882, locating in Hamilton county, near the town of Hampton, Nebraska, taking up their abode upon a rented farm. Carefully saving his earnings, his industry and his economical expenditure enabled Mr. Mueller in 1889 to purchase a farm of one hundred and sixty acres in Rusco township, Buffalo county, Nebraska, to which place he removed his family in the spring of 1890. He continued upon the farm for almost two decades, or until 1909, when he retired and removed to Pleasanton. He had carefully, persistently and successfully cultivated his place, transforming his land into very productive fields and making the farm a most profitable one. On the organization of the Farmers State Bank of Pleasan-
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
ton he became a stockholder and in January, 1915, was elected vice president of the bank, in which capacity he is now serving. For ten years he was postmaster of the Peake postoffice located on his farm. He also served as justice of the peace and has long been regarded as one of the influential men of his township, his aid being always given on the side of right, progress and improvement.
F. A. Mueller, an only child, was educated in the public schools near his father's home and from his early youth worked in cooperation with his father in the further development and management of the home farm, being thus actively engaged until 1909, when he became associated with John R. Bonson in the organization of the Formers State Bank of Pleasanton, which opened its doors for business on the 11th of June, of that year, Mr. Bonson being made cashier of the institution, while Mr. Mueller became assistant cashier. On the 12th of December, 1911, the latter purchased the former's interest in the bank and at the same time was made cashier, in which capacity he has since continued. He is one of the well known representative's of financial interests in Buffalo county, strong and resourceful in business management, yet conservative to the point of most carefully safeguarding the interests of depositors and stockholders.
On the 8th of June, 1905, Mr. Mueller wedded Miss Anna Schipman, of Grand Island, Nebraska, and this union has been blessed with four children, Erick, Elsie, Helen and Ruth. The parents are members of the Lutheran church and in his political views Mr. Mueller is a republican. He has served as justice of the peace and as a member of the school board and is a stalwart champion of progressive education. In fact he stands for improvement and progress along all lines and accomplishes what he undertakes either in a business way or for the benefit of the cortimunity.
L. P. SOUTHWORTH.
L. P. Southworth is now living retired in Ravenna but for many years was a most active business man and along the lines of intelligently directed business enterprise won his success. He was born in Oneida county, New York, on the 16th of April, 1837, a son of James and Adelia W. (Day) Southworth, who were also natives of that county, where they were reared and married. In 1838 they removed to Newark, La Salle county, Illinois, where the father passed away in 1841, while the mother, long surviving him, died in that county in 1889. Mr. Southworth was a lawyer by profession and thus provided for the support of his family.
L. P. Southworth was reared at home, acquiring his education in the public schools. The educational opportunities of that day and period, however, were very limited. The little temple of learning in which he pursued his studies was seated with slab benches, heated by a big fireplace and equipped in the most primitive way, while the method of instruction was little better than the furnishings. As a youth he worked as a farm hand and on reaching manhood he rented land and began farming for himself. At the outbreak of the Civil war he felt that his duty to his country was paramount to every other interest and on the 5thof August, 1861, enlisted as a member of Company F, Thirty-sixth
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He served for four years and three months at the front and was honorably discharged and mustered out on the 6th of November, 1865. He was wounded in the arm at Racceca and it was also at that place that he was promoted to the rank of second lieutenant of his company. He has a valuable souvenir of the war in an officer's sword, which he took from a Confederate officer, whom he captured at Mission Ridge. This particular sword is a fine example of the high art attained by the English cutlers of an early day.
After receiving his discharge Lieutenant Southworth returned to his home and on the 14th of the following March was united in marriage to Miss Lodecia Eybond, of La Salle county, Illinois, by whom he had five children but only one is now living, Jessie S., the wife of C. M. Wann, living at Hays, Kansas. Some time following his marriage Mr. Southworth removed to Iroquois county, Illinois, where he resided for five years and then returned to La Salle county. In 1876 he became a resident of Chicago, where he engaged in the live stock commission business until 1881, when he removed to Russell county, Kansas, where he engaged in the business of cattle and sheep raising, there continuing for five years. Subsequently he devoted his time to trailing sheep throughout the western country, driving them from points as far as the state of Oregon. He bought and handled from fifty to one hundred thousand head per year. Inthe meantime he removed to Denver, Colorado, where he made his home for fourteen years. In 1903 he came to Ravenna, where he has since resided. For five or six years after taking up his abode here he remained active in stock buying and the shipping business and also held a controlling interest in the Citizens State Bank, of which, he was president. In 1907, however, he disposed of his interest in the bank and retired from the live stock business, so that he is now enjoying a rest which he has truly earned and-richly deserves. His has been a most active life, fraught with good results. He is a man of persistent purpose, carrying forward to successful completion whatever he undertakes and his well defined plans, carefully executed, have brought him the success which is now his. He is one of the best known horse men in this part of the country, having won many prizes with his horses, and is recognized as one of the best judges of fast horses in the west and has owned among others such as Fred R., a trotter with a mark of 2:17; Tip Top, a pacer with a mark as four year old of 2:15¼ and Western Flyer, a pacer with a mark of 2:17.
In politics Mr. Southworth is an earnest republican but has never been an office seeker. He has membership in Lotus Lodge, No. 6, A. F. & A. M., having joined the order in 1862, he is now the oldest Mason in Ravenna and he has ever been most loyal to the craft, closely observing its teachings in all his relations with his fellowmen.
S. L. LEAS.
A quarter section of excellent land in Gibbon township pays tribute to its owner, S. L. Leas, who is an up-to-date and efficient agriculturist. A native of Indiana, he was born on the 9th of January, 1861, of the marriage of William and Susanna (Shaffstall) Leas, the former of whom was born in Ohio and the
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
latter in Pennsylvania. They were married, however, in Indiana, and there the mother passed away in 1907, after having survived her husband for more than four decades, his demise occurring in 1865.
S. L. Leas is one of two living children of a family of six. He received his education in his native state and remained there until 1887, when he came to Buffalo county, Nebraska, and purchased his present farm, which comprises one hundred and sixty acres on sections 2, 9 and 14, Gibbon township. He has spared neither time nor expense in improving his farm, which is one of the most valuable properties of his locality and from which he derives a handsome income. He specializes in raising and feeding stock and studies the markets carefully, so as to sell to the best advantage. He is financially interested in the Farmers Elevator at Gibbon.
Mr. Leas was married in 1382 to Miss Flora Ransburg, a native of Ohio, by whom he has two children, namely: Fern, who engaged in teaching for a number of years; and Bonnie B., who has taught school for six years. Mr. Leas supports the republican party at the polls and has served acceptably as a member of the school board for many years. Fraternally he belongs to the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and his wife is a member of the Presbyterian church. In developing his farm he has not only gained financial success but has also had a part in the advancement of the agricultural interests of the county and along other lines as well he has contributed to community progress.
C. R. LIPPINCOTT.
C. R. Lippincott manages an excellent farm of three hundred and forty, acres in Platte township and is there specializing in the raising of high grade stock. His birth occurred in Franklin county, Pennsylvania, on the 3d of May, 1878, and he is a son of James F. and Jane S. (Vance) Lippincott, both natives of Pennsylvania. On leaving that state they removed to Fillmore county, Nebraska, but a short time afterward went to Gosper county, whence they came to Buffalo county. They settled upon a farm on section 1, Platte township, and there resided until 1906, when they went to the state of Washington. Two years later, however, they removed to Misssouri, where the mother passed away. The father is still living and still makes his home in that state.
C. R. Lippincott is one of six living children of a family of nine and he received his education in the common schools. During his boyhood and youth he assisted his father, and by the time he reached his majority he was thoroughly familiar with agricultural work, this knowledge enabling him to assume charge of the home farm in 1800. He has since engaged in stock-raising and derives a handsome income from the sale of his cattle and hogs. The farm comprises three hundred and forty acres of good land and is improved with substantial and commodious buildings.
Mr. Lippincott was married in 1898 to Miss Olga Moldrup, who was born in Illinois of the marriage of Peter and Marie (Jensen) Moldrup, natives of Denmark, who in 1870 emigrated to the United States. They first located in Chicago, but in 1882 became residents of Kearney county, Nebraska. The father passed