away in Missouri in February, 1915, and the mother is now a resident of that state. They were the parents of two children, but only Mrs. Lippincott is now living. Mr. and Mrs. Lippincott have seven children: Hazel M. and Dessa C., both of whom are high school students; Sadie L.; Abbie R,; Ethel J.; Maxine; and Marjorie.
Mr. Lippincott indorses the principles of the republican party and supports its candidates at the polls. He has served as a member of the school board and takes the interest of a public-spirited citizen in the affairs of local government. His wife belongs to the Church of Latter Day Saints. His energy and good judgment have gained him success in his chosen occupation and his sterling worth as a man has won him the warm regard of those who have been associated with him.
WILLIAM CLARK KEEP.
William Clark Keep is engaged in farming on eighty acres of land adjoining the town of Elm Creek and also owns five hundred and twenty acres of additional land and derives a gratifying financial return from his farm property. He was born near New Milford, Susquehanna county, Pennsylvania, on the 13th of July, 1856, a son of Joel Keep, a native of Connecticut. The family record has been traced back to the Mayflower and there is a story to the effect that at one time all the members of the family were massacred on their way home from church with the exception of a boy and girl, who had been left at home and from whom all of the present representatives of the family are descended. Joel Keep was a blacksmith in his early manhood but subsequently engaged in buying lands, which he improved and then sold. Still later he turned his attention to the lumber business. He was twice married, his first wife being Almira Hocomb, by whom he had four children, all now deceased: Charles Melville; Lucia, who married Miles Corse; John; and Ellen, who married Daniel D. Thompkins. Mr. Keep chose as his second wife Mrs. Lucy Ann (Hendrick) Simonds, and to their union were born three children, namely: William Clark; Edward A., who resides in Callaway, Nebraska; and Mary Frances, the wife of Judson Very, of Callaway, Nebraska. The father passed away in Pennsylvania and the mother died in Nebraska.
William C. Keep was reared in the Keystone state and there received a common school education. In 1870 he decided to try his fortune in Buffalo county, Nebraska, where several of his neighbors and friends had recently located, and accordingly came to Elm Creek. For a year and a half he was employed in the Davis eating house, which is remembered by all of the early settlers, and after Mrs. Davis had sold out he remained with her successor for some time. While working in Elm Creek Mr. Keep entered a tree claim of one hundred and sixty acres and a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres in Dawson county, but for a considerable period he retained his position in Elm Creek and spent the week ends on his farm. At length he took up his residence on that place and turned his whole attention to its improvement and cultivation. Still later he engaged in the furniture and undertaking business in Elm Creek and for fifteen
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
years attempted to conduct his mercantile interests and to farm at the same time. He found, however, that the two undertakings interfered with each other and he disposed of his store and has since given all of his time to agricultural pursuits. He now resides on an eighty acre tract adjoining Elm Creek, but he also owns a anch of three hundred and sixty acres in Dawson county and one hundred and sixty acres on section 15, Elm Creek township, this county. He manages his affairs well and is recognized as one of the most efficient farmers of his township. His home farm is finely improved and he takes justifiable pride in keeping everything in good condition.
Mr. Keep was married in 1886 to Miss Elizabeth G. Wells, who was born in Harrisonville, Ohio, on the 20th of March, 1869, and is a daughter of Apollo A. and Mary E. (Stephens) Wells, now residents of Dawson county, Nebraska. The family home was established in this state when Mrs. Keep was twelve years of age. By her marriage she has become the mother of five sons, namely, Roy W, Earl M., William Clark, Jr., Harold W. and Raymond S.
Mr. Keep is a republican and is now serving acceptably as a member of the school board and for several years held the office of township clerk. Both he and his wife are active workers in the Methodist Episcopal church and the sincerity of their faith is evidenced in their daily lives. Their home, which is provided with all of the comforts of life, is noted for its warm-hearted hospitality. Their genuine worth is acknowledged by all who have been associated with them and they have many friends throughout the county.
Mrs. Mary L. Fines is one of the most respected residents of Shelton and is familiar with a great deal of the history of Buffalo county, for she has resided within its borders since 1865. She was born in Indiana of the marriage of Oliver and Sabrina (Hall) Loomis, natives respectively of New York and of Pennsylvania. They were married in the former state and resided there until 1838, when they removed to Indiana, which was then a frontier region. Subsequently they lived for three years in Ohio, after which they went to Iowa and took up a claim. Seven years later they sold that place and removed to Worthington, that state. The mother's death occurred at Manchester, Iowa, but the father passed away in Nebraska.
Mrs. Mary Fines is the only one living of a family of seven children. She is indebted to the public schools for her education and remained at home until she was united in marriage to Edward Ellis,by whom she had two children, Robert and Thomas. Robert Ellis resides in Libertyville, Illinois, and is one of the well-to-do and highly respected citizens of that place. Thomas Ellis lives on a fine farm near Shelton, Nebraska, and is prosperous and greatly esteemed. For her second husband she married Stephen J. McKee, who enlisted in 1861 in the Union army for service in the Civil war. He remained at the front until the close of hostilities, making a creditable record as a soldier, and in 1865, after peace was restored, he and his wife removed to Buffalo county, Nebraska,
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
where his demise occurred in 1877. By that union there were six children but only two, James and David, are now living. After the death of her second husband Mrs. McKee became the wife of W. F. Fines, who passed away on the 13th of February, 1891.
Mrs. Fines still owns one hundred and sixty acres of excellent land in Gardner township, this county, which is well improved and which one of her sons is operating. She also owns her residence and three lots in Shelton and derives a good income from that property. She holds membership in the Methodist Episcopal church, in the work of which she takes a commendable interest, and her many good qualities have gained her the warm regard of all who have been closely associated with her.
W. R. HANKINS.
W. R. Hankins, who is engaged in general farming on section 3, Garfield township, is a progressive agriculturist whose labors have been carefully directed and have thus won him substantial success. He was born in Poweshiek county, Iowa, on the 5th of January, 1876, and is a son of Gilbert M. and Mary C. (Lytle) Hankins, the former a native of Ohio and the latter of Pennsylvania. At the time of the Civil war the father espoused the cause of the Union and enlisted as a member of Company A, Fifty-third Ohio Volunteer Infantry, doing active duty at the front.
Following the close of hostilities he removed from Ohio to Missouri and subsequently became a resident of Iowa, where he was married and made his home until 1878. In that year he came to Buffalo county and took up a timber claim and also a homestead in Cherry Creek township, remaining upon that place to the time of his death, which occurred in 1898, while his wife survived until 1900. He was one of the progressive agriculturists of the community and brought his fields to a high state of cultivation, his labors resulting in the development of an excellent farm.
W. R. Hankins was but two years of age when the family removed to Nebraska and upon the old homestead he was reared with the usual experiences that fall to the lot of the farm lad. He attended the common schools and following the death of his father he and his brothers took charge of the old homestead, which they operated in partnership.
In 1902 Mr. Hankins was married to Miss Emma G. Johnson, a native of Boone county, Nebraska, and after his marriage located upon the farm which is now his home and which had been purchased by himself and his brothers after the father's death. In subsequent years when the division was made, Mr. Hankins acquired two hundred and forty acres of rich and productive land, which he has brought to a high state of cultivation, converting the tract into a valuable farm from which he annually gathers good harvests. His life has been a busy and useful one and his labors have brought good results. In addition to tilling the soil he makes a specialty of breeding registered Percheron horses and at the present time has upon his place twenty head or more of registered
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
Percherons besides seventeen other horses. This is an important feature of his business and adds materially to his income.
To Mr. and Mrs. Hankins have been born three children, Roger, Mervin and Gertrude. The parents are members of the Baptist church and are interested in the progress and welfare of the community, their aid and influence being given always on the side of right and improvement. Mr. Hankins is a democrat in his political views and, while he has never sought nor held political office, he is serving at the present time as a member of the school board and the cause of education finds in him a stalwart champion. Practically his entire life has been passed in this county and those who know him entertain for him warm regard because his salient traits of character are such as in every land and clime win confidence and good will.
That Chester Holloway is a man of enterprise and business acumen is indicated by the fact that he holds title to twelve hundred and eighty acres of fine land in Buffalo and Lincoln counties. He has been one of the most extensive cattle breeders and raisers of the county and is still active in that line although since 1907 he has made his home in Gibbon. His birth occurred on the 9th of January, 1846, and his parents were Ira and Achsah (Bouton) Holloway, natives respectively of New York and Ohio. They were married in the latter state and subsequently removed to Michigan, where both passed away.
Chester Holloway was reared and educated in the Buckeye state and remained at home until 1863, when, at the age of seventeen years, he enlisted in Company E, Ninety-third Ohio Infantry, for service in the Civil war. He remained with that command until the close of hostilities and participated in several skirmishes. After being mustered out at Winchester, Virginia, he returned to Ohio, whence in 1867 he went to Kansas, where be worked for the government at Fort Leavenworth. He made two trips from that fort to old Fort Hays, in New Mexico, with cavalry horses during the time that the United States troops were fighting the Indians. At that time there were many Indians throughout the west. After leaving Kansas he resided in Michigan for six years but in 1882 sold his farm in Ohio and took a trip through the southern part of the United States, going to New Orleans and Galveston and thence through New Mexico and Arizona to Yuma, Arizona, and on to San Francisco, California. From that city he came to Nebraska and, liking the conditions in this state better than those he had found elsewhere in his travels, he located in Buffalo county, purchasing land in Valley township, on which he lived for more than two decades. His well directed labors brought him substantial financial returns and year by year he increased his holdings, becoming at length the owner of twelve hundred and eighty acres, a large part of which is improved. He specialized in the raising of cattle and became one of the largest shippers in the county. He has been through a number of severe droughts but has so managed his affairs as to minimize his losses. In 1900 there was almost a total crop failure and he was compelled to ship all of his cattle and horses to Cherry county, where he
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
owns a ranch and where the drought was not so bad. Again, in 1904, this county suffered from a terrible drought and again his ranch in Cherry county saved him from loss, as he drove his cattle and horses there. Since 1907 he has lived in Gibbon. He is interested financially in the Bankers Mortgage & Loan Company at Omaha and the Ravenna Telephone Company and owns valuable business property in Gibbon. He was formerly a stockholder in the Commercial Bank of this place but has now disposed of his interest therein.
Mr. Holloway is a republican in politics and for fifteen years -he has served as a member of the school board. Fraternally he belongs to the Knights of Pythias lodge and he is in sympathy with the work of the various churches, although not a church member. His influence has been perhaps most strongly felt long the lines of agricultural development, but he has also had a part in the promotion of the civic and moral advancement of his community and has measured up to a high standard of citizenship. His many admirable qualities have enabled him to gain and retain warm friends and all who have come in contact with him respect him highly.
Christian Bohn, actively engaged in general farming on section 6, Cherry Creek township, is one of the substantial citizens that Germany has furnished to Buffalo county. He was born in Holstein, Germany, February 19, 1859, his parents being John and Margaret (Alpan) Bohn, who were natives of that land. In the year 1873 the family came to the new world. The father had died in Germany in 1863 and the mother had afterward married Peter Gehrt. Crossing the Atlantic, they rented land in Hall county, Nebraska, where they resided from 1873 until 1880 and then came to Buffalo county, where Mr. Gehrt secured a homestead in Garfield township. Not a furrow had been turned nor an improvement made upon the place, but with characteristic energy he began its development and operated the farm until his death, which occurred in November, 1898. His widow long survived him, her death occurring in September, 1915.
Christian Bohn was a youth of fourteen years when the family came from the fatherland to the new world and from that time forward he provided for his own support, beginning work as a farm hand. He was thus employed until 1881, when he became a resident of Buffalo county and entered a claim in Cherry Creek township, securing one hundred and sixty acres on section 6. He at once began to break the sod and till the soil and from time to time added improvements to his place until he converted it into one of the best farms of the locality. As his financial resources increased he kept adding to his land until he is now the owner of six hundred and sixty acres, of which a quarter section is in Sherman county. He has operated his farm continuously for thirty-five years and the changes which he has wrought have made it a very valuable and desirable property, constituting one of the attractive features of the landscape. He feeds a car load of cattle per year and a carload of hogs and he raises only high grade stock, making this an important feature of his business.
In December, 1883, Mr. Bohn was married to Miss Katherine Hauser, a
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
daughter of John G. and Katherine (Habarar) Hauser, who were natives of Germany and came to the new world in 1882, settling in Sherman county, Nebraska. Her father there purchased land and carried on general farming for many years or until 1908, when he put aside business cares and retired from active life. He now makes his home with his son, his wife having passed away in May, 1908. To Mr. and Mrs. Bohn were born six children, namely: John, who is married and has one child; George; William, who died in 1899; Amanda, who married Fred Stein, a farmer of Sherman county, and has three children; Minnie, who married Frank Hoffman, of Grand Island, and has two children; and Frieda.
In politics Mr. Bohn maintains an independent attitude, voting according to the dictates of his judgment without regard to party ties. His religious faith is that of the Lutheran church, to which he is ever loyal. As the years have gone by he has made continuous progress in the attainment of success and is now one of the substantial farmers of the community in which he has made his home for more than a third of a century.
JAMES M. EASTERLING.
James M. Easterling was born near West Liberty, Kentucky, August 23, 1860. He was educated in the common schools and the West Liberty schools. He devoted five years to teaching. Later he graduated from the law departments of the Georgetown and the Columbian universities and graduated also from the Martyn College in the literary department.
He came to Kearney, Nebraska, August 15, 1888, where he has since resided. He helped to organize the populist party and in 1892 was its nominee for secretary of state, but with the ticket was defeated. He has lived to see the principles for which he labored become dominant in state and nation. He served two terms as county judge, two terms as county attorney for Buffalo county and one term as member of the lower house of the legislature, declining a renomination.
He was married September i, 1892, to Miss Viola M. Kretchmer, of Red Oak, Iowa. To this union have been born four children: Bernhard K., Gretchen B., Pauline E. and Cynthia E.
Mr. Easterling loves the simple life of the home circle, where he finds his greatest happiness. He never shirked a responsibility nor abandoned a duty.
JAMES JOSHUA SMITH.
James Joshua Smith, who was an efficient and prosperous farmer of Elm Creek township, was widely known throughout the county and his demise was the occasion of sincere regret. His birth occurred in Toledo, Ohio, on the 16th of March, 1862, and he lived in that state until 1883, when as a young man he, with his sister Augusta, accompanied his father, James Smith, on his removal to Buffalo county, Nebraska. The family home was established on a farm in Elm
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
Creek township and the father engaged in agricultural pursuits until his demise. He was successful and held title to almost a section of land.
James J. Smith received valuable training in farming through assisting his father and acquired his education in the public schools of Ohio. Following his marriage he became the owner of part of his father's land and at the time of his death his holdings comprised two hundred and sixty acres in township 9, range 18, section 19. He built a good house upon the place, set out a grove and made other improvements, thus adding to the value of the farm. He devoted his entire time to the cultivation of his land and his well directed labors yielded him a good return.
Mr. Smith married Miss Susie E. Walker, who was born in Burlington, Iowa. Both her parents, David C. and Elizabeth (Prugh) Walker, are now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Smith became the parents of two children, Harry Glenn and Bessie Mildred.
Mr. Smith was a member of the Methodist church and gave his political allegiance to the republican party. Since his demise, which occurred on the 10th of September, 1901, his widow, son and daughter have conducted the farm and have proved capable in their management of the place. Mrs. Smith is an active worker in the Methodist Episcopal church, sings in the choir and takes part in various movements seeking the moral advancement of her community. She has manifested good business ability in carrying on the farm work and her personal qualities are such that she has won the friendship of many.
Michael O'Connor is a retired farmer and cattle raiser residing on his farm a mile and a half south of the town of St. Michael, on section 14, Cherry Creek township, and he is one of the honored pioneer settlers of Buffalo county, who has been identified with the development of this section of the state since the days when it was a frontier district and when residence here involved many hardships and privations. He has lived to see the notable changes which have been wrought by time and man and in fact has borne a full share in bringing about present day conditions of progress and improvement. He was born in County Mayo, Ireland, on the 20th of September, 1850, and there spent the days of his youth, pursuing his education in the public schools.
About 1875 Mr. O'Connor married Miss Elizabeth Kyne, a native of County Galway, Ireland, and after reaching manhood he engaged in general merchandising in the town of Con, in County Mayo. But the reports which reached him concerning the opportunities and advantages of the new world at length led him to sever his connection with the Emerald isle and sail for the United States. It was in 1885 that he crossed the Atlantic with his wife and four children, making his way direct to Nebraska, where he preempted eighty acres and purchased a relinquishment on an adjoining eighty acre tract. Subsequently he entered one hundred and sixty acres as a homestead and he also took up eighty acres as a tree claim. He first put up a sod house, in which he lived for a decade, when pioneer improvements gave way before the advantages of modern
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
civilization. For several years he was one of the extensive sheep growers of Buffalo county, running on his ranch as high as ten thousand head of sheep, but in later years he has given his attention largely to the cattle industry and now has under his control some fourteen hundred and forty acres of land, but in recent years has turned over the operation of much of his farm lands to his sons. When the town of St. Michael, which he helped survey, was established it was named in his honor by the town site company. He was instrumental in securing the establishment of the postoffice at St. Michael and was appointed the first postmaster and later he was honored with election to the mayoralty of the town, which was the beginning of an election year by year that has continued him in office without opposition to the present time. He puts forth earnest and effective effort to advance the public welfare and has not only been a cooperant factor in many movements for the general good but has taken the initial step in advancing public interests. He has served as a member of the town board and as a member of the school board and has been justice of the peace, in which connection he has rendered decisions that are strictly fair and impartial.
To Mr. and Mrs. O'Connor have been born eight children: Thomas, a resident of Grand Island; Patrick, of St. Michael; Michael, who makes his home in Valley county, Nebraska; David, at home; Anthony, who is a stockman of Cherry Creek township; John, who is the owner of a mine in Nevada; Kate, at home; and Mary, who makes her home with her brother Patrick. The wife and mother passed away March 16, 1915, her death being deeply deplored by all who knew her. Mr. O'Connor is a member of the Catholic church and in politics is independent. His platform in politics is progress and improvement and thereon he stands for the benefit of the community in which he lives. His business career has been a notable one by reason of the success which he has achieved and the honorable methods which he has followed in its attainment.
HENRY JAMES DUGDALE.
Among the successful and energetic farmers of Shelton township is numbered Henry James Dugdale, who was born in Shelton, Nebraska, then known as Wood River Center, on the 10th of July, 1860. His father, Henry Dugdale, a machinist by trade, was born in England, as was his mother, Sarah Jane Dugdale.
Our subject was reared in this county and is indebted for his education to the district schools. Early in life he became familiar with farming and on beginning his independent career determined to follow the occupation to which he had been reared. He has never had occasion to regret his choice of a life work, for he has not only gained a gratifying measure of prosperity but has also found agricultural pursuits congenial. He gives careful attention to his work, follows up-to-date methods and uses improved machinery and his well directed energy has resulted in the attainment of success.
Mr. Dugdale was married on the 13th of March, 1888, at Imperial, this state, to Miss Lillie May Allsop, a daughter of William and Helen Allsop. To this union have been born the following children: Lulu Estelle, the wife of Walter
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
W. Rice, of Kearney; Ralph Earl, who married Ethel V. Roberts, of Toledo, Ohio; Delia Irene; Lee Allsop; and Thelma Helen.
Mr. Dugdale has never been remiss in any of the duties of a good citizen but has not taken an active part in politics, preferring to devote his time to his agricultural interests. He was one of the charter members of Lodge No. 141, I. O. O. F., of Shelton township, organized in 1883, and is still identified with that organization. His entire life has been passed in this county and his genuine worth is indicated by the fact that those who have known him intimately since childhood hold him in the highest esteem and warmest regard.
WILLIAM F. STARK.
Among the native sons of Buffalo county who have recognized the fact that the opportunities offered the ambitious young men here are the equal of those to be found elsewhere, is William F. Stark, who is operating the home farm in Garfield township, on which he was born on the 23d of September, 1880. His parents, Fred and Wilhelmina (Gaten) Stark, were natives of Germany but both came to America about 1860. The father followed the miller's trade at Davenport, Iowa, for a short time, after which he went to Grand Island, Nebraska, where he was employed in a mill until he removed to Gibbon, Buffalo county. He worked in the Davis mill there for two years, at the end of which time he turned his attention to farming, taking up a homestead and timber claim in Garfield township, his holdings comprising three hundred acres. He was one of the first settlers in the township and had to perform all of the arduous tasks incident to developing a farm from the virgin prairie, for his land was totally unimproved when it came into his possession. He brought the land under cultivation, erected good buildings and at the time of his demise his place was in a high state of development. He passed away on the 3ist of March, 1901, and was survived by his wife until the 21st of April, 1912.
William F. Stark was reared at home and in the acquirement of his education attended the district schools. He was early trained to farm work and remained with his parents until they were called from this life. Following the demise of his mother he came into possession of the home farm, as he bought out his sister's interest in the place and he has since operated the homestead on his own account. He has made additional improvements upon the farm and has been very successful as an agriculturist. In addition to raising grain he breeds thoroughbred Polled Durham cattle and other high grade stock. The most important factors in his prosperity are his thorough knowledge of agriculture, his willingness to utilize new methods and new machinery, and his sound business judgment.
.On the 18th of April, 1915) Mr. Stark was united in marriage to Miss Ida Betke, a daughter of William and Bertha (Shiefelbein) Betke, natives of Germany. The father was brought by his parents to America in 1879 and the family home was established in this county, the father homesteading a claim in Garfield township. Following his demise his son William became the owner of the home farm, which he has since operated. The mother of Mrs. Stark, is also still living.
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
Mr. Stark is a socialist in his political belief and has given much careful study to the economic, political and sociological problems of the day. His fraternal connection is with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He is an energetic and representative young farmer and his personal worth is attested by the fact that those who have been associated with him since boyhood hold him in the highest respect and esteem.
CHARLES E. CLARK.
Charles E. dark, cashier of the State Bank of Poole, has made a remarkable record in that capacity, having so conducted the affairs of the institution that its business has increased about one hundred and sixty per cent since he took charge in 1909, although the volume of the banking business throughout the state has shown a decrease during this period owing to poor crops. His birth occurred on the 15th of May, 1877, in Wayne county, Iowa, near Promise City, and he is a son of Thomas and Diana (Scott) Clark. His paternal great-great grandfather was the master of a sailing vessel and his great grandmother was born at sea and lived on the ocean until she was married at the age of eighteen years. Samuel Clark, the grandfather of our subject, was well acquainted with both Lincoln and Douglas, traveling with them when in their famous debates they drove home to the people the importance of the issues then before the country.
Charles E. Clark spent much of his boyhood upon a farm in Clay county, Nebraska, halfway between Clay Center and Fairfield, his parents having removed there when he was but seven years old. Eight years later the family came to Buffalo county and located upon a farm in Valley township nine miles north of Gibbon. He received his early education in the district schools of Clay and Buffalo counties and subsequently took a course in the Gibbon high school. For a time he engaged in farming but later turned his attention to the profession of teaching, which he followed for eleven years. He was one of the best educators in the county and during the last three years of his professional work served as the superintendent of schools in Pleasanton, during which time he did much to advance the educational standards there.
In 1909 Mr. Clark entered the business field, becoming cashier of the State Bank of Poole, and he has discharged the important duties devolving upon him in that capacity in a manner worthy of the highest praise. He has proved seemingly infallible in judgment and has made the bank of service to the community in many different ways. The institution not only does a general banking business but also issues letters of credit and foreign drafts or money orders, sells travelers' checks, writes farm insurance, deals in farm loans and negotiates the transfer of realty. Although the policy of the bank has been characterized by a progressive spirit and a desire to promote the business expansion of the community, yet the first care of the officers has at all times been to safeguard the interests of depositors and stockholders, as they realize that only by so doing can they secure permanent prosperity. Five times as much surplus is carried as is required by law and a considerable amount of the earnings of the bank is left in the undivided profits account, thus still further increasing the safety of the
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
depositors' money. Moreover, the bank is operating under the Depositors Guarantee Law of the State of Nebraska, which is very strict in its provisions. The institution was organized in July, 1905, with a paid up capital of five thousand dollars and opened its doors for business in a rented building that had a sign in front that read "Board and Lodging." The interior of the banking rooms was as unprepossessing as the exterior and a homemade counter served as a desk. In spite of this exceedingly humble beginning the Institution prospered and in 1910 the capital stock was increased to ten thousand dollars and not long afterward a manganese steel burglar proof safe was purchased. In the fall of 1911 the business had reached such a volume that the stockholders erected in a good location a brick building with a large fire-proof vault provided with safety deposit boxes for the accommodation of those who wish to rent them. Subsequently additional improvements were made in the equipment of the bank and the stockholders have always shown a willingness to use part of the earnings of the business in making things more convenient for the bank's customers. When Mr. Clark became cashier the resources of the bank were thirty-nine thousand, two hundred and ninety-nine dollars and ninety cents, and on the 12th of December, 1915, they totaled one hundred and three thousand, four hundred and twenty-nine dollars and fifty-four cents. The remarkable growth of the business in the last six years is in itself proof of his unusual business ability. He has the full confidence of all who have had dealings with him and he is popular with the bank's patrons, as he is never found lacking in courtesy.
Mr. Clark was married in 1899 to Miss Edna Reedy, a daughter of John Reedy, one of the leading citizens of Buffalo county. She is a descendant of a family which was established in the United States in the early days of its history and whose representatives have been highly esteemed in their respective communities. She is a woman of sound business judgment and is efficiently filling the position of assistant cashier of the State Bank of Poole. By her marriage she has become the mother of four children, Hazel, Marjorie, Charles, Jr., and Ruth.
Mr. Clark gives his political allegiance to the democratic party and has taken a prominent part in local public affairs. He was one of the incorporators of the village of Poole, served as chairman of the village board of trustees during the first years of its existence and held the office of township treasurer of Beaver township for some time. He can be counted upon to take a leading part in all movements seeking to promote the civic and business advancement of his town and county and no resident of Poole is held in greater respect than he.
REUBEN B. MILLER
Reuben B. Miller is successfully engaged in stock raising on a fine farm in Cherry Creek township and specializes in mule foot hogs. He was born in Michigan on the 13th of April, 1878, and his parents were John G. and, Mary (Stuber) Miller, natives respectively of Germany and of Switzerland. The father came to America in young manhood and settled in Michigan, where he
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
farmed until 1880, when he removed with his family to Buffalo county, Nebraska, and bought a homestead right. He made many improvements upon his place, which he operated until his demise in September, 1897. He was survived for a number of years by his wife, who passed away in May, 1912.
Reuben B. Miller was reared and educated in Buffalo county, Nebraska, as he was but two years of age when the family removed here, and he remained under the parental roof until he attained his majority. He then worked as a farm hand for one year, after which he rented land which he operated until 1908. He then bought one hundred and sixty acres in Gardner township, but three years later sold that property and purchased five hundred acres of excellent land on sections 32, 29 and 20, Cherry Creek township, which he still owns. He has carefully conserved the fertility of the soil, kept everything about the place in first class condition and has also made a number of improvements. He grows some grain but pays particular attention to stock raising, keeping about one hundred head of cattle and specializing in thoroughbred mule foot hogs. He understands all phases of farming thoroughly and as he gives much thought to the management of his work and keeps in touch with the findings of those who are engaged in the scientific study of agricultural problems, he is very efficient and receives a handsome income from his land.
Mr. Miller was married in February, 1899, to Miss Louise Nutter, a daughter of William and Dina (Hingham) Nutter, both of whom were born in England. The father came to America in 1852 and after working for some time as a factory boss in Philadelphia he went to Utah, having been converted to the Mormon faith. He remained there for eighteen months but at the end of that time became disgusted with conditions and decided to locate elsewhere. He came to Buffalo county and took up his residence in the vicinity of Shelton, but those were pioneer times and the Indians were so hostile that he was compelled to leave. He returned to England but sometime later came again to this country and located on a farm near Gibbon, Nebraska, which became the family homestead. He operated that place for many years and passed away in May, 1905. His wife is still living on the home farm. Mr. and Mrs. Miller have two children: Gerald D., born on the 6th of October, 1902; and Ruby G., whose birth occurred on the 22d of July, 1905.
Mr. Miller indorses the principles of the republican party and has worked loyally for its success at the polls. Fraternally he belongs to the Royal Highlanders and the Modern Woodmen of America.
Samuel Campbell, a resident farmer living in Divide township, was born in Stark county, Illinois, March 18, 1885, a son of William and Jeannette (Watt) Campbell, both of whom were natives of Scotland. They came to America in early life and first settled near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Subsequently they removed to Stark county, Illinois, where they took Up their abode upon a farm, making their home in that district until 1893, when they removed to Buffalo county, Nebraska, and established their home on the farm on section 25, Divide