a large trade in hardware and has not only gained a competence but has also contributed to the business expansion of his community.
Mr. Hlava was married in July, 1878, to Miss Anna M. Rezabek, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Rezabek, both natives of Bohemia. They came to America many years ago and in the fall of 1866 located at St. Louis, whence in 1883 the family removed to Saline, county, Nebraska, where the father farmed until his death in 1909. The mother had died many years previously, her demise occurring in 1882. Mr. and Mrs. Hlava have become the parents of eight children, as follows: Emma, who is the wife of William Karel, of Ravenna, and is engaged in the millinery business; Judith, who married O. O. Matousek, a farmer of South Dakota; Elsie, who married A. A. Meek and now resides with her parents; Lombard J., who is associated with his father in the hardware business, the firm name being A. V. Hlava & Son; Benjamin H., at home; Adolph V., who is attending the State University at Lincoln; and Flora and Clara, both of whom are teaching school in South Dakota.
Albert V. Hlava supports the democratic party at the polls and has been called to office a number of times. He was a member of the city council of Ravenna for four years, was township treasurer for a similar period, was census enumerator in 1910, held the office of assessor of Garfield township for four, years, is serving his fifth year as a member of the board of supervisors of Buffalo county and was postmaster at Pleasanton during the second Cleveland administration. He has also been prominent in fraternal circles. Since 1893 he has served as financier of the United Workmen lodge, he has been treasurer of the Masonic lodge, was for a year venerable consul of the Modern Woodmen of America and for a year and a half held the office of clerk of that organization, and he has served for two years as president of the Bohemian Lodge at Ravenna, as a member of its board of directors for three years and as financier for ten years. He has also been identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and for a period of years belonged to the Knights of Pythias lodge, of which he was a charter member. He can be depended upon to further the moral interests of the community. Since boyhood he has worked hard and he has not only won a competence but has also gained valuable knowledge and practical wisdom from his various experiences. His business ability is generally recognized and his integrity has always been above question.
Among the successful business man of Poole is William Klein, who is the owner of a well stocked general store and who has gained prosperity entirely through his own efforts. He has also been prominent in public affairs and is now serving as clerk of Beaver township. A native of Iowa, he was born in Jasper county in December, 1883, and is a son of Peter and Maggie (Cuparis) Klein, natives respectively of Marion county, Iowa, and of Holland. The father followed agricultural pursuits in Marion and Jasper counties, Iowa, for a number of years but in 1886 came to Buffalo county; Nebraska, with his family and purchased a homestead right in Schneider township. He concentrated his ener-
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
gies upon the development of that farm until 1907, when he sold out and purchased land in Beaver township, on which he resided until 1912. He then retired from active life and removed to Poole, building a comfortable residence, where he has since lived. His wife also survives. They are the parents of ten children, John, Letitia, Jacob, Nellie, Ella, William, Lizzie, Earl, Arthur, and one who died in infancy.
William Klein was but a child when brought by his parents to this county and here he grew to manhood. He received his education in the public schools and also gained valuable knowledge concerning agricultural methods through assisting his father. He remained at home until he was of age and then began his independent career, renting land for eight years. At the end of that time he decided that business pursuits would be more congenial than farming and removed to Poole and bought a general merchandise business, which he has since conducted. He also owns the building in which his store is located and his good management, integrity and progressive policy have enabled him to build up a large and representative patronage.
Mr. Klein was married in February, 1900, to Miss Clara E. Huston, a daughter of John and Martha Huston, pioneers of Buffalo county. To this union three children have been born: William, whose birth occurred on the 4th of May, 1910; Eileen, born March 30, 1915; and one who died in infancy.
Mr. Klein is independent in politics, studying the political situation carefully and voting according to the dictates of his judgment. He has been honored by election to office, having served as treasurer of Poole and being at present clerk of Beaver township and school moderator at Poole. In religious faith he is a United Presbyterian and his influence is always on the side of right and moral advancement. He is held in high esteem by all who know him and his many friends recognize his genuine worth.
GEORGE BUOL, M. D.
Dr. George Buol has been engaged in the practice of medicine in Ravenna since 1911 and has gained a patronage that would be a credit to a man of much longer professional experience. He was born on the 10th of March, 1886, in Randolph, Cedar county, Nebraska, of the marriage of Martin and Anna (Richard) Buol, natives of Switzerland and of Iowa respectively. The father settled in Cedar county, Nebraska, when it was still a frontier region and is engaged in banking and in the real estate business in Randolph. His wife passed away in May, 1911.
George Buol was reared in his native town and after completing the high school course there entered the medical, college of the State University of Nebraska, from which he was graduated in 1910. He devoted a year to hospital work and in September, 1911, began the independent practice of his profession at Ravenna, where he has since remained. In a comparatively short time he demonstrated his ability and has a high standing in his profession.
Dr. Buol was married in August, 1913, to Miss Urilla Rudy, by whom he has a daughter, Betty A., born on the 23d of June, 1914.
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
Dr. Buol is independent in politics and keeps well informed on all questions and issues of the day. His religious belief is that of the Presbyterian church, and fraternally he is connected with the Knights of Pythias and the Masons. Through his membership in the Buffalo County and Nebraska State Medical Societies and the American Medical Association he keeps in touch with other progressive physicians and he also does much reading on professional subjects. He is not only held in high esteem as a physician but he is also popular personally.
HON. CARL F. BODINSON.
Hon. Carl F. Bodinson, who was one of the successful pioneer merchants of Kearney and was also prominently identified with political activity here, left the impress of his individuality for good upon the history of Buffalo county. A native of Sweden, he was born at Söderhamn on the 20th of June, 1846, and spent his early life in his parents' home. After acquiring a common school education he engaged in clerking for a time in a hardware store. The opportunities of the new world, however, attracted him and in 1865, when nineteen years of age, he came to the United States, making his way at once into the interior of the country. He located first at Galva, Illinois, where he worked in a general store until 1870. He carefully saved his earnings during that period until his economical expenditure and his industry had brought him capital sufficient to enable him to engage in business on his own account. He then purchased a stock of groceries and conducted his store at Galva until 1878, when he disposed of his interests there and came to Kearney. Here he opened a grocery store, which he managed successfully for about eleven years, when he sold out and for a year engaged in no business. During that period he made a trip back to his old home in Sweden, where he found great pleasure in renewing the acquaintances of his youth and visiting again the scenes amid which his boyhood days' were passed. At the end of that time he came once more to Kearney and purchased the Harrington hardware store. Concentrating his energies upon the trade, he built up a good business, ever recognizing the fact that satisfied customers are the best advertisement. The integrity of his busness methods was never called into question and his enterprise and industry were potent factors in his growing success.
On December 28, 1870, Mr. Bodinson was united in marriage to Miss Louise W. Dahigren, who was born at Victoria, Knox county, Illinois, April 9, 1852, and was there reared and educated. She came to Kearney with her husband when this was a straggling frontier village and gave little evidence of becoming the attractive city it is today. To Mr. and Mrs. Bodinson were born three sons: Fred P., who is now president of the Citizens National Bank of Baker, Oregon; Frank, who is a traveling salesman with the Faeth Iron Company of Kansas City, Missouri; and Roy, who now operates the Bodinson hardware store at Kearney. For some years he was associated in this undertaking with his father, the connection being maintained until the latter's death on the 24th of December, 1913.
Mr. Bodinson was a consistent and exemplary member of the Masonic fraternity and politically he was a prominent democrat, his opinions carrying weight
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
in the local organizations of his party. In 1899 he was elected county treasurer on the democratic ticket and made so excellent a record in the office that he was reelected in 1901, serving for two terms. In 1908 he was elected to the state senate and was reelected in 1910, so that he remained a member of the upper house of the general assembly for four years, during which time he gave careful consideration to the vital questions which came up for settlement and supported the measures which he deemed beneficial to the state, while just as strongly he opposed those which he regarded as inimical to the best interests of the commonwealth. He was a man of marked personal worth, who held to high ideals and never deviated from a course which he believed to be right between himself and his fellowmen. He was self-made, his prosperity being attributable to his own efforts, but he always believed, as Abraham Lincoln expressed it, that "There is something better than making a living--making a life."
MAURICE A. HOOVER, M. D.
Dr. Maurice A. Hoover, who by the consensus of public opinion on the part of his fellowmen and his fellow practitioners, is accorded a prominent position among the physicians of Buffalo county, has practiced continuously in Kearney since April, 1883, or for almost a third of a century. He was born in Marion county, Indiana, near the city of Indianapolis, April 6, 1858, and is a son of Perry C. and Catherine M. (Bender) Hoover. The father was also a native of Marion county, born in Wayne township, in 1832, and the mother was a native of Pennsylvania and of Pennsylvania Dutch descent. During his active life time Perry C. Hoover followed merchandising and farming. He was one of a family of thirteen children and he and his twin were the youngest of the household. The Hoovers were descended from Andrew Hoeffer, of German nativity, who lived and died in the fatherland. Through generations, however, this branch of the family has been represented in America and for the most part its members have been connected with the Quaker faith. Five of the brothers of Perry C. Hoover, the son of Andrew Hoover, served the Union cause during the Civil war and three of them laid down their lives upon the altar of their country. In so doing they set aside the Quaker prejudice against war, feeling that their first duty was to preserve the Union. Perry C. Hoover died in February, 1912, and his widow survived him only until September, 1914.
Dr. Maurice A. Hoover was reared in his native state and acquired his primary education in the public schools, after which he spent four years as a student in Wabash College at Crawfordsville, Indiana. During his college days he devoted the summer months to reading medicine under the direction of Drs. P. H. and H. Jameson, of Indianapolis, and in 1879 he matriculated in the Indiana Medical College, a department of Butler University, from which he was graduated on the 2d of March, 1881. He had put his theoretical knowledge to the practical test by serving as interne in the Marion County Hospital during the summer months of the last year of his medical collegiate term, and after securing his degree he located for practice in Indianapolis, where he remained until the spring of 1883. In April of that year he came to Kearney, Nebraska, where he
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
has since made his home and throughout the entire period has engaged in the general practice of medicine and surgery. His first call was sixty miles from Kearney and he frequently answered calls in early days that required three days driving day and night. At the time of the Spanish-American war he was major surgeon of the Second Nebraska Volunteer Infantry and was stationed at Chickamauga Park until mustered out on the 20th of October, 1898, his term of enlistment covering the period from April of that year.
On the 6th of November, 1883, Dr. Hoover was united in marriage to Miss Eva Cox, of Crawfordsville, Indiana. She died leaving one daughter, Bessie, now the wife of Jay Sinclair, of Des Moines, Iowa. For his second wife Dr. Hoover chose Agnes Pearson, but she, too, has departed this life, and for his third wife the Doctor wedded Stella E. Tucker, their marriage being celebrated in May, 1901. To this union have been born four children: Ione I., Amber A., Thelma T. and Maurine A.
Dr. and Mrs. Hoover belong to the First Christian church of Kearney and are interested in all that pertains to the moral upbuilding of the community, nor is the Doctor neglectful of his duties of citizenship. His cooperation can be counted upon to further any measure looking to public betterment. He served for two terms as coroner of Buffalo county but refused further office holding. For sixteen years he has served as a member of the Kearney school board, his present term expiring in 1917. He was acting pension examiner before the board was appointed and although he has not served continuously he is now secretary of the local board. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the knights of Pythias and of various fraternal insurance organizations. He belongs also to the Kearney Commercial Club and is a member of the old volunteer fire department. Notwithstanding his varied interests he has largely concentrated his energies upon his professional duties and from 1887 until 1900 was surgeon for the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy and the Union Pacific Railroad Companies and the Black Hills branch line. In his practice he is most careful and conscientious in diagnosing cases and his ability is manifest in the successful outcome of his treatment. He has kept in touch with the advanced thought of the profession, reading broadly and thinking deeply, and his work has been attended with excellent results, placing him among the foremost physicians of his part of the state.
ALFRED T. ANDERSON.
Alfred T. Anderson, a photographer of Kearney conducting a well appointed studio, is of Swedish nativity. His birth occurred in Sweden, July 17, 1865, but when he was only two years of age he was brought to America by his parents, August and Ingar (Timmans) Anderson. The family home was established first at Knoxville, Illinois, and afterward a removal was made to Galesburg and later to Woodhull, Illinois. In November, 1875, the family removed to Kearney, where Mr. Anderson began the manufacture of wagons and later extended the scope of his business activities to include the manufacture of buggies, this being the first concern of its kind in Kearney. He continued his residence in this city
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
for a number of years, but in 1881 sold out and since then has lived at various places in the western part of the United States. Mrs. Anderson died in 1879, and of their family of six children three are now living.
Alfred T. Anderson was reared in Illinois to the age of ten years but for the past forty years has been a resident of Kearney. His education was completed in the public schools here, supplemented by one term's study in a private denominational school at Minneapolis. When sixteen years of age he started out in life on his own account by learning the photographic art under the direction of J. A. Stridborg, with whom he remained for about three years. After that time Mr. Stridborg took up the business of ranching and left Mr. Anderson in charge of his photographic gallery as manager. He proved faithful to the trust and subsequently purchased the business of his employer, since which time he has conducted his studio in Kearney. He utilizes the modern processes and methods of photography and has a well equipped establishment in which he turns out work of the highest grade. He has appreciation for all the artistic phases of the business and at the same time the mechanical work is done in the best possible style. He has taken a special course of training at St. Louis under Mr. Guerin, one of the foremost photographers of the, country. Moreover, by attending conventions and by careful reading of the best literature on the subject of photography he has kept abreast of the times in his profession. When he began business here his establishment was south of the Union Pacific railroad tracks, but later he opened a studio on the second floor at No. 2111 Central avenue, there continuing until 1908, when he built his present studio at No. 14 West Twenty-second street. This is a one story and basement brick structure which he designed to meet his ideas of a thoroughly up-to-date and modern photographic establishment.
On the 1th of September, 1892, Mr. Anderson was united in marriage to Miss Alma M. Wickstrom, of Holdredge, Nebraska, by whom he has three daughters, Ruth M., Miriam E. and Elizabeth T. The family are members of the Baptist church. Mr. Anderson was twice elected a member of the school board but resigned during his second term in order to take a vacation in the far west. He is, however, always interested in the welfare and upbuilding of his city and co-operates in many plans and measures for the general good.
JOHN W. SHAHAN.
John W. Shahan, of Lincoln, is acceptably discharging his responsible duties as chief clerk of the board of charities and corrections and as secretary of the state prison board and advisory board of pardons. He gives the most careful study to the many problems with which his work has to deal and keeps well informed as to the outcome of various plans that are being tried in different parts of the country in connection with social service work and the reformation of delinquents. He was born in West Virginia on the 10th of November, 1848, of the marriage of Alexander S. and Louisa (Stone) Shahan, both natives of Virginia. The father devoted his life to agricultural pursuits, and both he and his wife died in West Virginia.
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
John W. Shahan passed the days of his boyhood and youth in his native state and after attending the public schools continued his education in an academy. When twenty-one years of age he was made deputy sheriff of his county, and in those days the holder of that office was required to collect the taxes. He would saddle his horse Monday morning and be gone until the end of the week, his duties as tax collector making it necessary for him to travel to all parts of the county. Sometmes he had to see a man three or four times before he could succeed in getting the taxes and occasionally he had to levy on the property. He also served as deputy clerk and recorder and held that position for several years. While he was deputy clerk he called for his own marriage license, and the clerk told him that as he was familiar with the issuing of such licenses and as he knew where the blanks were he might as well write out his own, which he did. After returning to private life he engaged in merchandising for two years and then followed agricultural pursuits for a similar period of time. In 1878 he came to Nebraska and in November of that year located in Gibbon precinct, Buffalo county, homesteading a quarter section, of fine land on the Platte river. This had been previously filed on and ten acres of the ground was broken. His first home was a sod house, which was warm in winter and cool in summer and quite comfortable, but nevertheless he was determined that as soon as he could afford it he would build a frame house. The roof was made of boards which were covered with tar paper and sod was laid on top of the paper. As the ends of the boards reached to the center of the sod wall the paper broke at that point and this caused the water to soak through into the wall, gradually weakening it. One morning after a particularly heavy rain Mr. Shahan discovered that one wall had slipped away and he made up his mind that he was going to have a frame house at once. With only five dollars in cash and a promise to pay in the fall he went to Gibbon and purchased sufficient material to build a frame residence. He engaged in farthing for seven years but in 1885 removed to Kearney and took up the duties of deputy county clerk, in which capacity he served for two years. Some time later he was again made the incumbent in that office and held the position for four years, his continued service attesting the satisfactoriness of his work. For four years he was deputy county treasurer under M. N. Troupe; was a member of the city council the same length of time; and its president for two years of that time.
Mr. Shahan resided in Kearney for twenty-three years but in 1900 was made deputy state auditor under Silas R. Barton and removed to Lincoln, where he has since resided. He held that position for four years and continued in the office for six months after his term had expired. He was then appointed chief clerk of the board of charities and corrections and secretary of the state prison board and advisory board of pardons and is still the incumbent in those offices. The work of those boards is closely connected with the welfare of the people of the entire state and it is fortunate that a man of so much ability and of such marked public spirit has been chosen as secretary. He is widely known and all who have been associated with him in any capacity recognize his sound judgment, his knowledge of conditions and his unswerving integrity. Although he makes his home in Lincoln he still holds title to his homestead in Buffalo county.
Mr. Shahan was married in West Virginia to Miss Diana E. Parsons, a native of Virginia, and they have four sons and two daughters living, namely: Charles W., a hardware merchant of Kearney; Roy, a real estate dealer of Alamosa, Colo-
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
rado; Louise, the wife of O. P. Sells, of Denver; James A., of Omaha; Florence, who is at home and who formerly taught in Buffalo county but has now been a teacher in the Lincoln schools for four years; and Clare J, who is living in Omaha.
Mr. Shahan is a stalwart adherent of the republican party and does all in his power to further the civic advancement of his community. He has been a lifelong member of the Methodist Episcopal church, in whose teachings are found the principles which govern his conduct, and he is also identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at Kearney. He has resided in Nebraska since pioneer times and has taken much pleasure in witnessing its constant and rapid development and has at all times been willing to co-operate with others in promoting the public welfare.
JOHN D. LIPPINCOTT.
John D. Lippincott, a well-to-do farmer residing on section 36, Platte township, was born in Franklin county, Pennsylvania, of the marriage of James and Jane (Vance) Lippincott, further mention of whom appears elsewhere in this work in connection with the sketch of C. R. Lippincott, a brother of our subject. Mr. Lippincott of this review was reared and educated in Pennsylvania, but in 1887 became a resident of Buffalo county, Nebraska. Subsequently he purchased his present home farm on section 36, Platte township, which comprises one hundred fifty-three and one-half acres of productive land and the cultivation of which demands practically his entire time. He is thoroughly practical in his methods and is also progressive, and his well directed labors yield him a good financial return.
In 1892 Mr Lippincott was united in marriage to Miss Noma Schlegel, who was born in Pennsylvania and is a daughter of .Moses and Sarah (Foulk) Schlegel, likewise natives of that state. They were early settlers of Nebraska but subsequently removed to Oklahoma, where they are now living. Mr. and Mrs. Lippincott have six children: Ora E., the wife of N. Lacy; Opal V., Otis Pearl, Moses M. and David V., all four at home; and Charles E, deceased.
Mr. Lippincott gives his political allegiance to the republican party and has served his district acceptably as school director. He is a successful farmer and a public-spirited citizen and is justly held in high esteem by those who know him.
Herman Liesinger, a farmer of Platte township, has earned the title of a selfmade man, as he began without capital and through his own efforts has gained financial independence. He was born in New York on the 9th of January, 1848, of the marriage of Herman and Bertha (Broadcross) Liesinger, natives of Germany. About 1847 they left their native land and came to America, locating in the state of New York, where they remained for some time. They afterward lived successively in Wisconsin and South Dakota, and the father passed away
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
in the latter state. The mother is still living at the advanced age of eighty-six years. Fifteen of their sixteen children survive.
Herman Liesinger received a common school education in his native state and remained at home until he was fourteen years of age, when he began providing for his own support. In 1870 he came to Buffalo county, Nebraska, and began farming in Platte township. He has prospered and has invested in land from time to time so that he now owns four hundred acres in Buffalo county and one hundred and twenty acres in Dundy county, all of which is well improved. His home farm is situated on sections 10 and 15, Platte township, and its well kept appearance indicates his energy and good management.
Mr. Liesinger was married in 1874 to Miss Ada Perkins, who was born in Wisconsin. Her parents, Hiram and Lucinda (Reed) Perkins, were both natives of the state of New York, but in their youth removed to Wisconsin, where their marriage occurred. The father passed away in that state, but the mother spent her last days in Idaho. In their family were two children but Mrs. Liesinger is the only survivor. By her marriage she has become the mother of eight children, namely: Emma, the wife of A. H. Svinger of Kearney; Bertha, who married N. Leisy a resident of Wyoming; Lula, now Mrs. M. Dunkleberger; Maud, who married Joe Argo; Walter; William; one who died in infancy; and Lillie E., at home.
The family attend the Methodist Episcopal church and do their part in furthering movements seeking the moral advancement of their community. Mr. Liesinger is a republican and has held the office of school treasurer but has never been very active politically. For many years he gave his closest attention to the cultivation and improvement of his land but is now living retired and is enjoying a period of well deserved leisure.
M. B. WHITCHER.
M. B. Whitcher, residing on section 25, Divide township, owns and operates an excellent farm of eighty acres which has now been in his possession for more than two decades. His birth occurred in Stark county, Illinois, on the 14th of March, 1867, his parents being John and Alma (Hall) Whitcher, who were natives of Vermont and Pennsylvania respectively. In 1849 they took up their abode on a farm in Stark county, Illinois, and there spent the remainder of their lives. To them were born seven children, five of whom are yet living.
M. B. Whitcher was reared and educated in his native county and there spent the first twenty-six years of his life. In the spring of 1893 he came to Buffalo county, Nebraska, and purchased the farm of eighty acres on section 25, Divide township, on which he has resided continuously since, being actively and successfully engaged in its operation. He carries on his farm work in a systematic, practical and up-to-date manner and annually gathers rich crops which find a ready sale on the market.
In 1892 Mr. Whitcher was joined in wedlock to Miss Mary Jane Campbell, her parents being William and Jeannette (Watt) Campbell, of whom more extended mention is made on another page of this work in connection with the
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
sketch of Samuel Campbell, brother of Mrs. Whitcher. Our subject and his wife have seven children, namely: Jennie, who is the wife of L. E. Hubbard and resides in Iowa; William M., John D., Isabel, Eva E., Edith C. and Franklin A., all of whom are still under the parental roof.
Since age conferred upon him the right of franchise Mr. Whitcher has supported the men and measures of the democracy, believing firmly in its principles. He has ably served as a member of the school board and the cause of education has ever found in him a stanch champion. His wife is a devoted and consistent member of the Presbyterian church. Mr. Whitcher is a self-made man whose success has come as the direct reward of industry, perseverance and energy and he enjoys an enviable reputation as one of the prominent and representative agriculturists of Divide township.
ALBERT P. HAUSCHILD.
No history of Buffalo county would be complete without reference to Albert P. Hauschild, who is one of the most extensive landowners of this part of the state, having more than three thousand acres. His home place is on section 18, Cherry Creek township, where he occupies an attractive residence in which are found all of the comforts and many of the luxuries of life. He deserves much credit for what he has accomplished, his success being the legitimate outcome of intelligently directed effort.
Mr. Hauschild was born in the kingdom of Saxony, Germany, September 27, 1866, a son of August and Christina (Schmieder) Hauschild, who were also natives of the same country. The father owned and cultivated a farm there until 1881, when he crossed the Atlantic and established his home in Shelton, Buffalo county, Nebraska, but after a short time removed to Cherry Creek township, securing a homestead claim of one hundred and sixty acres on section 18, that is now the property of his son Albert. He at once began to develop and improve the land, which he brought to a high state of cultivation, continuing the work of the fields there until his life's labors were ended in death on the 12th of February, 1894. For about eight years he had survived his wife, who passed away March 21, 1886.
Albert P. Hauschild was reared in Germany to the age of fifteen years and during that period pursued his education in the schools of that country. After accompanying his parents to the new world in 1881 he was employed as a farm hand for two years and later purchased eighty acres of railroad land in Cherry Creek township. With characteristic energy he began to develop and improve that tract, which he cultivated for four years and then sold, turning the money over to his father, for at that time he had not attained his majority. He afterward went to Colorado, where he worked with his brother as a carpenter for a year, during which period he saved seven hundred dollars and also turned that amount over to his father to help feed the stock. In 1891 he began speculating in broom corn, purchasing a considerable amount. Success attended him in this venture, in which he made three dollars for every dollar invested. He cleared up enough to pay off all his indebtedness which had been incurred on account of
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
bad crops. In 1892 he went south with a covered wagon, thus journeying across the country, and located in Oklahoma, but after a short time returned to Kansas and engaged in the operation of a broom factory at Salina. In the conduct of that business in sixty days he had made thirty thousand dollars single handed. He then became associated with capitalists who backed him financially and he established a big factory in which he employed fifty men. He was making money so rapidly, however, that his financial backers froze him out. He finally got back into the business, however, for a while, but his father met with a bad accident and Mr. Hauschild on that account had to sell out and return home in 1893. He then rented the home place, which he continued to cultivate for three years, at the end of which time he purchased the property, and since that date has continued buying whenever advantageous opportunity has presented until he now owns over two thousand acres in Buffalo county, together with a section and a half in Sherman and Custer counties. He has continuously improved his place, operating it since making his first purchase, and he is today one of the extensive landowners of this part of the state. He is also engaged largely in feeding stock and has about two hundred head of cattle all of the time, together with four hundred head of hogs and from seventy-five to one hundred head of horses.
On Christmas Day, 1909, Mr. Hauschild was married to Miss Marie Ahrens, a daughter of Louis and Fredericka Ahrens, who were natives of Germany and came to America in 1907, since which time the father has been engaged in farming in Cherry Creek township, Buffalo county. Mr. and Mrs. Hauschild have four children: Gertrude, born September 19, 1910; Mabel, May 26, 1912; Daisy, October, 1913, and Albert, August 8, 1915.
Politically Mr. Hauschild does not ally himself with any party. His religious faith is that of the Lutheran church and his membership relations also include connection with the Modern Woodmen of America and the Modern Brotherhood of America. His has been a most active and useful life, during which he has made steady progress, and his course has never been strewn with the wreck of other men's fortunes, for he has followed constructive measures in his business and has won his success by the wise utilization of time, talent and opportunity, recognizing advantages which others have passed heedlessly by.
MISS MINNIE BERTHA HAUSCHILD.
Miss Minnie Bertha Hauschild, who resides with her brother, Albert P. Hauschild, and who personally owns two fine farms in Cherry Creek township, was born in 1874, in the kingdom of Saxony, of the marriage of August and Christina (Schmieder) Hauschild, who were also natives of the same country, where the father engaged in farming until 1881, when he emigrated to the United States. He made his way to Buffalo county, Nebraska, and took up a homestead on section 18, Cherry Creek township.
Our subject remained in Germany for about three months after her father and two brothers had removed to the United States, but at the end of that time she and her mother, two older sisters and one brother crossed the Atlantic
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
and at once came to this county, joining the father on the homestead. Following her mother's death in 1886, she took charge of the home and throughout all the years of hardship during which the family was getting a start in the new world she manifested unwavering determination and courage. After her father was injured and her brother Albert returned home she co-operated with him in every way and had much to do with the success that came to the family. Following the demise of the father in 1894 she continued as housekeeper for her brother for a number of years, or until his marriage, and still makes her home with him. She assists in whatever work is on hand and in all that she does manifests great energy sound judgment and good business ability. Her brother, in recognition for her valuable assistance, gave her four hundred acres of fine land and this was subsequently traded for other property, securing thereby a handsome profit. Through several deals and wise investment in California real estate she now has an income which makes her financially independent, and the ability with which she has managed her affairs shows that she has the same business insight which has always characterized her brother. She owns two well improved farms in Cherry Creek township,˙one of two hundred and forty acres and one of one hundred and sixty acres, both of which are rented. She is widely known throughout the county and is held in high esteem because of her many excellent qualities of character, and those who have been closely associated with her are her warm friends.
CHARLES A. PIERSON.
Charles A. Pierson, who carries on general farming on section 8, Cherry Creek township, is one of the foremost representatives of agricultural life in Buffalo county. He has important and extensive interests, carefully managed and wisely directed, and his life record indicates what may be accomplished when determination and energy lead the way, for his success is attributable to close application and sound judgment in business affairs. He was born in Sweden, on the 19th of October, 1846, and is a son of James and Anna Bendicta (Hanson) Pierson, who came to the United States in 1849 when their son Charles was but three years of age. They settled first at Kenosha, Wisconsin. The father who was a university graduate and for twenty years a professor in a university of Sweden, desired to give his children the greater educational advantages offered in the new world and in 1849 he organized a colony of Swedish people, chartered a sailing vessel, and in that way came to America, the colony settling at or near Kenosha, Wisconsin. Mr. Pierson was a very versatile man, ready for any emergency, and possessing marked talent along many lines. He was a graduate physician and surgeon, possessed notable musical talent and marked mechanical skill, and after establishing his home in Wisconsin he built a number of pipe organs for churches. He was also the owner of the farm on which the family resided and which his sons operated. In 1863 he left Wisconsin and removed to Bremer county, Iowa, where his remaining days were passed.
Charles A. Pierson was reared under the parental roof and mastered the branches of learning taught in the public schools. He possessed, however, an