insatiable appetite for knowledge and has been not only a student of books but also of human nature, and in the school of experience has learned many valuable lessons. In 1868 he was united in marriage to Miss Eliza J. Rickel, of Bremer county, Iowa, and to them have been born seven children, of whom five are yet living: Arthur J, who is engaged in business in New Hampton, Iowa; Estelle I., the wife of Rev. Parker Smith, who is located at Parker, South Dakota; Frederick A., who operates the home farm; Ellen M., the wife of Fred Knott, who is engaged in farming at Waverly, Iowa; and Victor L, a farmer of Wayne, Nebraska.
Soon after his marriage Mr. Pierson made his first investment in land, purchasing one hundred and twenty acres in Bremer county, Iowa. He afterward bought an additional tract of eighty acres adjoining and later purchased another farm of one hundred and sixty acres a mile distant from the home place. In early days he began raising and dealing in cattle and has made the cattle industry the dominant feature of his business career. In April, 1898, he came to Buffalo county, at which time he purchased eight hundred acres of land. In June of that year he removed his family to the new home and here he has since engaged extensively in the cattle business. He now owns fourteen hundred and forty acres of land and is one of the very successful, enterprising arid progressive business men of Buffalo county.
For his second wife Mr. Pierson chose Mrs. Norman H. Hall, formerly Miss Nancy Ann Phillis, of Washington county, Ohio. In his political views he is a republican but has never been an office seeker and his business affairs have made constant demand upon his time and attention. He ranks as one of the foremost farmers and cattle raisers of Buffalo county and deserves much credit for what he has accomplished. Energy and determination have been the crowning points in his career. He has never allowed difficulties to bar his path if they could be overcome by persistent, earnest effort, and he has ever realized that when one avenue of opportunity seems closed it is possible to seek out another path which will lead to the desired goal.
CHARLES A. SPENCER.
Charles A. Spencer was one of the early settlers of Gibbon township, coming to this township only seven days after the first so-called "colony settlement." He was born April 6, 1851, at Ophir Center, La Salle county, Illinois, and when about sixteen years of age accompanied his mother to Livingston county, Illinois, his father having given his life as a sacrifice to his country, meeting death in the battle of Fort Donelson while serving with the Union army.
On the 26th of February, 1878, Charles A. Spencer was united in marriage to Miss Rachel Sharp, also of. Livingston county, Illinois. She was born June 1, 1852, at Swegol, New York, and in her girlhood was taken by her parents to Streator, Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Spencer, with their nine months old son, George S., came to Gibbon, Nebraska, in January, 1880, and purchased the northeast quarter of section 19, Gibbon township, from the Union Pacific Railroad. For seventeen years he devoted his time to the cultivation of his farm and also the
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
northwest quarter of section 20 and the south half of the northwest quarter of section 20, Valley township. He and his wife passed through the many hardships and privations known only to the inhabitants of that period in building the home with their own labor and converting the raw prairie land into fields of sod corn and spring wheat. For several years their crops were destroyed by summer droughts and stock was cared for with difficulty owing to the lack of fences and also owing to extremely severe winters. These worthy people are to be numbered with the courageous settlers who never will be fully rewarded or their efforts fully appreciated by those who enjoy the beautiful country into which this land has developed. Two other sons were born to Mr. and Mrs. Spencer: Walter A., on the 2d of July, 1881 ;and R. Le Verne, on May 25, 1889.
In 1898 the Spencer family exchanged their holdings for a half section of splendidly improved land on sections 4 and 9, commonly known as the Spencer Farm Home. About 1908 the parents retired from active life and took up their residence in Gibbon, where Mr. Spencer passed away November 19, 1913, and where his widow still resides. From early life they had been active in church work and he was also a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen for many years. He was a quiet, sympathetic man who shunned publicity but was ever ready to stand for community betterment. His genuine worth will always be remembered by those who knew him.
GEORGE S. SPENCER.
George S. Spencer was born April 10, 1879, at Dwight, Illinois, and when nine months of age was brought to Gibbon, Nebraska, by his parents. After completing a common school education he devoted his entire time to farming and stock raising and his untiring efforts have won him the reputation of being a most efficient agriculturist and stockman and have gained for him a competency in comparatively early life.
He was united in marriage to Mary B. Morris, also of Gibbon, and to this union two .daughters have been born, Mildred and Ruth. With their children they reside on their farm a half mile north of Butler, on the northwest quarter of section 17, Valley township. They have always been very active in church and social circles of the community and enjoy in large measure the regard and esteem of those who know them.
WALTER A. SPENCER.
Walter A. Spencer was born July 2, 1881, at Gibbon, reared at home and after completing his common school education took a commercial course at the Gibbon Business College and also attended and graduated from the Nebraska State Normal School at Wayne. Subsequently he became a student in the State University at Lincoln and completed the science course by graduation with the class of 1910, at which time the degree of Bachelor of Science was conferred upon him. Afterward he taught mathematics and astronomy in the Lincoln
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
College of the James Milliken University at Lincoln, Illinois, and later he was for some time connected with the City National Bank of Lincoln, Nebraska, but in 1912 he turned his attention to farming and has since operated the home farm. His early training in agricultural work has enabled him to gain a gratifying measure of success as a farmer and his business ability and experience are of value to him in the management of the business phases of agriculture. He keeps in touch with the discoveries made by investigators who are seeking to learn more of the scientific principles underlying farming and is recognized as one of the most progressive and efficient agriculturists of his township.
On the 2gth of July, 1909, Mr. Spencer was united in marriage to Miss Pearl G. Francis, of Gibbon township. Her father, Charles Francis, passed away when she was a child; her mother, Anna M., has resided for several years in the county. Mr. and Mrs. Spencer have a daughter, Evelyn Marie.
Mr. Spencer supports the republican party at the polls, but although he keeps well informed on the questions before the people he has not been an aspirant for office. He and his wife are both members of the Presbyterian church and cooperate in movements seeking the moral welfare of their community. Mr. Spencer is not only a prosperous agriculturist, contributing to the development of his county along that line, but he is also identified with business interests as a stockholder in the Gibbon Grange Co-operative Elevator Company. He is widely known and his genuine worth is attested by the fact that those who have been intimately associated with him since boyhood hold him in the highest esteem.
R. LE VERNE SPENCER.
R. Le Verne Spencer was born May 25, 1880, at Gibbon. He finished the common school education and was a student in the Gibbon high school and also in the Lincoln Business College and the State Agricultural College, both of Lincoln, Nebraska. Such training qualified him for following his father's occupation of farming and in this vocation he has been constantly engaged. He was united in marriage to Pearl G. Gilming on the 5th of March, 1914, and to them has been born a son, Charles Le Verne. The family occupies a farm five miles northwest of Gibbon, comprising the west half of the northeast quarter of section 9, Gibbon township, adjoining the old homestead farm of the Spencer family, where his brother, Walter A, now resides. R. Le Verne Spencer is a very active agriculturist, showing ability in farm management and also much active and helpful interest in community improvement and advancement.
JAMES E. CRIFFIELD.
James E. Criffield, who owns and, manages the largest general store in Poole, has not only built up his own business but has also contributed to the general advancement of Poole. He was born in Michigan in July, 1867, and is a son of Dacon and Jane (Emmens) Criffield, the former a native of Ohio and the latter
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
of Pennsylvania. The father, who devoted the greater part of his life to agricultural pursuits, removed to Michigan and engaged in farming there until 1883, when he came to Buffalo county, Nebraska, and took up a timber claim, which he improved and operated for several years. After selling that place he went to Missouri, where he farmed for three years, and then went into the hotel business at Westboro, that state. He passed away in September, 1898, and his wife died in 1872.
James E. Criffield remained in Michigan until he was sixteen years of age and then accompanied his parents to Buffalo county, Nebraska. When twenty years old he began clerking in a store at Hazard, this state, and worked in the employ of others until October, 1903, when he came to Poole and engaged in the general mercantile business on his own account. He has prospered beyond his expectations and is now the leading merchant in the town. He is continually seeking to improve the service which he gives his customers and his liberal business policy and the high quality of his goods have gained him a large and profitable patronage.
On the 4th of March, 1894, occurred the marriage of Mr. Criffield and Miss Arvilla Bateman and to them was born a son, Charles, who died in 1895. Mr. Criffield supports the democratic party at the polls and for two years served as a member of the town board. His success is the direct result of his enterprise, his careful study of business conditions and his constant effort to satisfy the demands Of his patrons and he ranks among the most able business men of the county. He has many admirable personal characteristics and there are many who are his warm friends.
The history of Dan Morris is a life record which should have its inspirational value for all young men who are forced to start out in life empty handed, as it indicates what may be accomplished when energy and determination lead the way. His advancement has not been due to genius or to any fortunate combination of circumstances but is the outcome of clear judgment, indefatigable industry and experience. He was born on a farm near Indianapolis, Indiana, February 10, 1878, a son of Nimrod and Ruth A. (Crouch) Morris, who removed from Indiana to Buffalo county, Nebraska, when their son Dan was about ten years of age. The father here took up the occupation of farming and still owns, occupies and cultivates a farm near Gibbon.
Dan Morris, who was one of a family of six children, acquired his early education in attendance at the district schools and alternated his school work with the labors of the farm, early becoming familiar with the best methods of tilling the soil and caring for the crops. Later he took up the profession of teaching and when seventeen years of age he became a student in the Peru State Normal School, where he remained for a year. He then returned to Kearney and again taught school for about a year, after which he secured the position of messenger in the City National Bank. Within fourteen years he had occupied every position in the bank until in the fall of 1915 he was elected to the presidency of the institution
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
which he entered in a most humble capacity and is today the largest individual owner of the stock. He has acquainted himself with every phase and branch of the business and his thoroughness, fidelity and capability have brought him steadily forward until he is now recognized as one of the leading financiers of Kearney and this part of the state. He has also made judicious investment in real estate and in addition to his fine residence in the city he owns eighteen hundred acres of ranch land in Custer county, on which he is pasturing about three hundred head of cattle. He has concentrated his efforts, however, most largely upon the banking business. When he became connected with the bank the deposits were about one hundred thousand dollars and these today have been increased to over one million dollars. There is no question to whom the credit of the bank's growth and development is due. In all business affairs Mr. Morris displays keen sagacity and his successes have never been measured by another's losses. Fourteen years from the position of errand boy to president indicates rapid progress and denotes marked ability and enterprise.
On the 27th of May, 1901, Mr. Morris was united in marriage to Miss Ella M. Thomas, a daughter of A. E. and Belle Thomas. They have two daughters, Ruby and Fern, who are attending school. The family are members of the Methodist church and are promiment socially, occupying a leading position in those social circles where true worth and intelligence are accepted as passports into good society. Mr. Morris also belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He is a very charitable man, giving generously and freely wherever aid is needed and being very quick at all times to assist anyone who is willing to aid himself. He responds with readiness to a tale of sorrow or distress and does all in his power to ameliorate the hard conditions of life for the unfortunate. In politics he is a stanch democrat but not a politician in the sense of office seeking. He has served as president of the state educational board of Nebraska and in that connection has done much to further the cause of public instruction. He is president of the Bankers Association of the fifth district of Nebraska and is president of the Chautauqua Association of Buffalo county. In a word he has deep interest in all that pertains to the welfare, upbuilding and progress of his adopted county, giving active co-operation to those movements which tend to bring about higher ideals of citizenship, promoting civic progress along many lines.
WILLIAM S. ELDRIDGE.
William S. Eldridge, the efficient postmaster of Poole, is also connected with business interests there as the manager of the Wort Brothers' grain business. A native of Michigan, he was born in Cadillac on the 7th of October, 1878, of the marriage of Daniel and Marguerite (McGowan) Eldridge, both also born in the Wolverine state. The father, who was a lumber dealer, eventually removed to New Mexico, where he lived until his death in 1912. At the time of the Civil war he served for four and a half years with the Fifth Michigan Volunteer Infantry and his military record was one of which he was justly proud. His wife preceded him in death, her demise occurring in September, 1908. William S. Eldridge is indebted to the public schools for his education and
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
after reaching mature years entered the employ of Wort Brothers, grain dealers, and for some time was stationed at Pleasanton, Nebraska. In 1899, however, he was made manager of their business at Poole and has since remained here. In the management of the affairs intrusted to him he displays excellent judgment and a spirit of initiative that enables him to take advantage of opportunities for increasing the business of the company. Since 1910 he has served as postmaster of Poole and has also proved very efficient in that capacity.
Mr. Eldridge was married in June, 1905, to Miss Louise E. Tilson, a daughter of W. Z. and Emily (Piderit) Tilson. Her father was born in Michigan and her mother in Wisconsin, but they located in Buffalo county, Nebraska, in an early day in the history of this section and took up a homestead, which the father is still operating. Mr. and Mrs. Eldridge have four children, namely: Clifford, who was born on the 27th of August, 1906; Nona, whose birth occurred on the 19th of January, 1908; Ralph, born December 12, 1912; and Lucille, December 29,1915.
Mr. Eldridge has supported the republican party since age conferred upon him the right of franchise and takes a lively interest in the questions and issues of the day. He is identified with the Knights of Pythias and the Masonic lodges at Ravenna and also with the Modern Woodmen of America and the Modern Brotherhood of America. He holds in full measure the respect of his fellow citizens and his personal friends are many.
JAMES T. VACEK.
James J. Vacek, a well known and prosperous young farmer of Garfield township, was born in Schneider township, this county, in August, 1885. His parents, John and Anna (Posusta) Vacek, were born in Bohemia and on their emigration to America first settled in Michigan, whence they soon afterward removed to Iowa. After living there for a year and a half they came to Buffalo county, Nebraska, and the father purchased land in Schneider township, to the cultivation of which he devoted his energies until his death in 1909. His wife still lives on the old home place.
Mr. Vacek received his education in the common schools of Schneider township and was also early trained in the various phases of farm work. He remained with his parents until he was twenty-four years of age, when he removed to a farm of one hundred and sixty acres on section 23, Garfield township, which his father purchased at that time and gave him. He has since cultivated that place, to which he has given the name of Never-Fail Farm, and has made a number of improvements thereon which have added to its value and facilitated its operation. It is conveniently located on the main road between Grand Island and Ravenna. Mr. Vacek keeps everything in excellent condition and is prompt and enterprising in his work. He raises grain and also stock, feeding about a carload of high grade cattle annually.
Mr. Vacek is a democrat and loyally supports the candidates of that party at the polls but has never sought office. His religious faith is indicated by the fact that he is a communicant of the Roman Catholic church. He has passed his
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
entire life in the county and manifests a commendable interest in everything relating to its welfare and development. He is widely known and is recognized as a successful farmer and good citizen.
Prominent among the extensive landowners of Buffalo county is John Stoeger, and his valuable property is the visible evidence of a life of well directed energy and thrift. Believing that the west held opportunity, he sought the advantages offered in this county and in their utilization has advanced steadily toward the goal of prosperity. He was born in Hendricks county, Indiana, October 25, 1858, and is a son of John and Mary Stoeger, who were natives of Germany, whence they came to America on a sailing vessel in the '40s. When the long voyage was ended they made their way across the country to Hendricks county, Indiana, where the father, who was a tanner, worked at his trade. He afterward followed the same business in Illinois, but prior to the Civil war purchased land in Crawford county, Illinois, which he cultivated for about eighteen years, becoming one of the well known general farmers of that district. He afterward made his home with his son John for three years and subsequently resided in Cairo, Nebraska, to the time of his death, which occurred in February, 1907, when he had reached the age of seventy-four. His widow survives him and has attained the very remarkable old age of ninety-one years. John Stoeger was reared and educated in Illinois and remained with his parents until he reached the age of thirty-five. From his early youth he assisted in the farm work and as his age and strength increased assumed more and more largely the duties and responsibilities of the work of the fields. In 1893 he and three brothers came to Buffalo county and purchased five hundred and sixty acres of land on section 10, Cherry Creek township. At once they began to develop and improve the tract and it was not long before a marked change was seen in the appearance of the place, showing the result of their labors. They continued their farming operations together and kept adding to their land from time to time by additional purchase until they owned twenty-three hundred acres. Their partnership was maintained for four years and was then dissolved, after which John Stoeger and his brother William remained in business for thirteen years. During this period they bought more land and owned three thousand acres, but eventually they, too, divided their interests and William Stoeger retired from active business life. John Stoeger, however, is still carrying on general farming and is accounted one of the progressive, active and enterprising agriculturists of his part of the state. He now owns thirteen hundred and sixty acres in Cherry Creek township, fourteen hundred acres in Sherman county, Nebraska, one hundred and sixty acres in Merrick county, Nebraska, twenty acres in Hall county, adjoining the town of Grand Island, two hundred and three acres in Texas, fifty acres of irrigated land in Utah and town property in Salem, Oregon. He maintains his home on section 10, Cherry Creek township, and has operated his place since coming to the county, with the exception of four years spent in Grand Island, one year in Utah and one and a half years in Oregon. He has thus been closely identified
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
with the agricultural development of this part of the state and his efforts have been a force in directing material progress and improvement in Buffalo county. He is also a stockholder in the Farmers State Bank at Cairo, Nebraska, and upon his place he feeds about fifty head of cattle and seventy-five head of hogs annually.
In December, 1806, Mr. Stoeger was married to Miss Lizzie Feldmayer, a daughter of William and Mary Feldmayer, who were natives of Germany and in early life came to the new world. Her father served for three years during the Civil war as a soldier of an Ohio regiment and following the close of hostilities returned to Germany. He was there married, after which he came again to the new world, and on that occasion settled in Buffalo county, where he secured a homestead claim, devoting his remaining days to the cultivation and improvement of his place. He died in 1909, while his wife passed away in 1907, Mr. and Mrs. Stoeger have become the parents of seven children, Toney, Lee, Richard, Charles, Walter, Harvey and Marie. Mr. Stoeger is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and of the Modern. Woodmen camp and he and his family hold membership in the Lutheran church. He is possessed of many sterling traits of character and he enjoys the good will and confidence of his fellowmen because his life has been upright and worthy of respect.
CHARLES A. CLARK.
Picture of Ravenna Creamery
The Ravenna Creamery Company is one of the most successful business enterprises of the town of Ravenna, and its growth and prosperity is indicative of the energy and ability of its owners and managers. Charles A. Clark, who is president of the company, was born in St. Lawrence county, New York, on the 28th of June, 1848, a son of Joseph and Rizpah (Field) Clark, both natives of New Hampshire. The father, who was a millwright, carpenter and wheelwright by trade, removed to New York in 1832 and there followed his trade until his demise in February, 1875. His wife had died in July of the previous year.
Charles A. Clark grew to manhood in his native state and there received a common school and academic education, and he taught school several terms, also learning the carpenter's trade from his father which he followed for a short time. On the 1st of January, 1875, however, he engaged in the creamery business, building and running the second creamery established in St. Lawrence county--a county which now has upward of forty creameries. He continued the business in his native town for nineteen years, or until April, 1894, when he came to Ravenna, Buffalo county, Nebraska, and entered the employ of the Ravenna Creamery Company. Shortly afterward he purchased the entire capital stock of the corporation, and he with the other members of his family has since conducted the business. They have not only made the local plant one of the most successful creameries in this part of the state but have also established a creamery at Ord and one at Loup City. The business at Ord includes the manufacture of ice cream, and all three creameries are largely patronized. The central plant at Ravenna employs from fifteen to twenty people and numbers among its patrons practically all of the farmers in the district tributary to Ravenna. Mr. Clark has seen many improvements and wonderful development
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
in the creamery business in his forty years of experience until butter making has become practically am exact "science." His business also includes a large poultry fattening and dressing plant, and quite a large output of eggs and several thousand gallons of ice cream annually.
In October, 1871, occurred the marriage of Mr. Clark and Miss Josephine Stearns, a daughter of Joseph and Charlotte (Beard) Stearns, natives of New York, where the father engaged in farming during his active life. Both he and his wife are now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Clark have four children, namely: Joseph S. Clark, Rizpah F. Conn, Charlotte A. Miner, and Charles A. Clark, Jr., all of whom, with C. D. Conn and R. W. Miner, are interested in the business of the Ravenna Creamery Company. Mr. and Mrs. Clark are loyal and earnest members of the Congregational church, and Mr. Clark is deeply interested in every movement that tends to curtail the rights and privileges of John Barleycorn, though he has time for but little political activity. However, in 1910 at the personal solicitation of his many temperance friends, he entered the primary contest and was nominated on the republican ticket as candidate for the state senate from Buffalo and Sherman counties. The issue was on county option, which Mr. Clark warmly espoused, and for which he made a strong campaign. He was defeated by a small majority, the "wets" adopting their usual crooked tactics of bringing forward at the eleventh hour, by petition a wet republican, who had been defeated in the primary, thus dividing the republican vote and electing the democrat. Two years later he was requested to enter the race again for the same position and was assured of loyal and strong support, but he could at that time see no moral issue at stake and declined to leave his business for the uncertainties of politics. Since coming to Ravenna he has made a highly creditable place for himself among the business men of the town and his personal characteristics are such that he has gained the warm friendship of those who have been closely associated with him.
WILLIAM M. FELDMAYER.
Garfield township numbers among its citizens many enterprising farmers, wide awake to their opportunities, and careful and systematic in the management of their business interests. Such a one is William M. Feldmayer, who is living on section 6. He was born in Germany, March 25, 1877, a son of William and Anna Feldmayer, who came to the United States in 1882, at which time they took up their abode upon a farm -that is now the home of their son William. The father purchased a relinquishment and subsequently entered the land to which he secured the title by complying with the homestead laws. With characteristic energy he began the development of the place, converting wild prairie into productive fields, and as the years passed his labors wrought a marked change in the appearance of his place, the wild prairie grasses being no longer seen, the same district being converted into fields of waving grain. It was upon the old homestead property that the father continued to reside until his life's labors were ended in death, January 1, 1906. For about two and a half years he had survived his wife, who died June 16, 1903.
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
William M. Feldmayer was reared upon the home farm, to which he was brought when a lad of five years. He acquired a common school education and as his age and strength increased more and more largely took up the work of the fields, receiving his initial training under his father. In 1901 he and his brother Christian began farming on the old homestead and continued to cooperate in the development and improvement of the place until 1909, having purchased the interests of the other heirs in the father's estate after his death. In 1909, however, William Feldmayer purchased the interest of his brother Christian in the farm and became sole owner, in addition to which he has another tract of one hundred and twenty acres across the road on section 7, Garfield township, so that his holdings now comprise two hundred and eighty acres, with the exception of the railroad right of way through the one hundred and twenty acre farm.
In 1909 Mr. Feldmayer was married to Miss Amma Belle McCoy, of Christian county, Missouri, and their two children are William Glen and Ada Lucille.
Mr. Feldmayer belongs to Ravenna Lodge, No. 366, I. O. O. F. In his political views he is a republican, voting for the men and measures of the party but not seeking office. His attention is concentrated upon his business affairs and he makes a specialty of raising cattle, keeping high grades of stock upon his place, while his annual sales reach a gratifying figure. He has closely studied the best methods of caring for his stock and his industry, resistless and determined, has brought him a gratifying measure of success.
JAMES G. HARRIS.
James G. Harris, who is living retired in Ravenna, was born in England on the 14th of November, 1854, a son of Henry and Charlotte (Pippler) Harris, also natives of that country. In 1865 the father came with his family to America and located in Boone county, Illinois, where he engaged in farming, although he had been a veterinarian in England. In 1877 he sold his property and, coming to Buffalo county, Nebraska, took up one hundred and sixty acres on section 18, Gardner township, as a homestead. He brought that place to a high state of development and devoted the remainder of his life to its operation. He passed away in January, 1894, and his wife died in 1887.
James G. Harris was reared and educated in his native country and in Boone county, Illinois, and remained with his parents until he was twenty-four years of age, when he took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres on section 18, Gardner township, this county, not far from the home farm. For thirty years he devoted his time and energy to the cultivation of his land and in addition to raising grain he engaged to a considerable extent in stock raising, feeding as many as one hundred and forty hogs a year and also raising a number of cattle. In 1908 he retired and purchased ten acres of land on the edge of Ravenna, where he erected a good residence. He has since lived in town but still takes a keen interest in agricultural affairs. He has added to his homestead and now owns two hundred and forty acres, all of which is located in Gardner township.
Mr. Harris was married on the 1st of March, 1883, to Miss Flora M. Lewis, a daughter of W. L. and Susan E. (Magee) Lewis, natives of Pennsylvania and
HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY
pioneers of Buffalo county, Nebraska. The father homesteaded on section 18, Gardner township, and engaged in farming there for ten years, but at length removed to Custer county, Nebraska, where he remained until his death in 1908. He is survived by his wife. Mr. and Mrs. Harris have six children, namely: Eugene, who is farming in Cherry Creek township; Le Roy, who is operating the home place; Elsie, the wife of Albert Van Bbier, of Grand Island, Nebraska; Ethel, who married Ralph Farr, a livery man of Ravenna; Arthur, who is farming in Cherry Creek township; and Earl, at home.
Mr. Harris is a stanch advocate of the republican party and has served as road overseer of Gardner township. In religious faith he is a Methodist and fraternally he is identified with the Mystic Legion. His life has been one of well directed and efficient activity and he is now enjoying a period of leisure which is richly deserved.