John P. Arendt was born in Germany, June 8, 1832, he came to America
April 8, 1851, married Miss Catherine Tyler, June 21, 1858 at
Burlington, Wisconsin. He served in the Civil War. Coming to Elm Creek
in 1870, first settling in Elm Creek township thence moving to Elm Creek
Village where he engaged in the mercantile and lumber business,
continuing in this business until 1876 at which time he retired.
Mr. Arendt was the second postmaster, being appointed December 26,
1872. He laid out the present site of Elm Creek, plotting 80 acres. He
was one of the commissioners of Buffalo County, a very prominent man in
this part of the country.
The Arendts had seven children; Mary (Mrs. Carey) of Overton, Annie (Mrs. Bond), Minnie (Mrs. Connell), George employed by the U.P.R.R. as depot agent for three years, following his brother-in-law, D.C. Bond, the first agent, Maggie, Eva and Rose.
In politics a Democrat, and a member of the Catholic Church. John Arendt died in 1904, George Arendt died at his home in Lincoln on June 21, 1943, and his wife died February 26, 1962 at the age of 95.