ber, 1882, entered the Eclectic Medical Institute at Cincinnati, Ohio, from which he graduated in June, 1883, and then located at Waverly, Ind., where he practiced with excellent success for two years. He came to Armada, Nebr., in June, 1888, where he has since continued the practice of his profession. Dr. King was married to Miss Mary Cheatham, September 22, 1880. She was born June 24,1856, and was the daughter of William Cheatham, who was a Virginian by birth. She died April 19, 1889, leaving three children--Martha B., Ossie L., and John W. Dr. King is a member of the Odd Fellows, the Modern Woodmen, and Knights of Pythias.

JOHN D. LOEWENSTEIN was born in Birmingham, a suburb of Pittsburgh, Pa., January 23, 1854. His father, Daniel Loewenstein, was born in Ahlen, Hesse Cassel, Germany, where he spent his early days learning the cabinet-making trade, and following this in the old country. In 1852 he came to America and, abandoning his trade, engaged in wagon-making. He is still living. Elizabeth, mother of John D., was also born in Ahlen, Hesse Cassel, Germany. To these parents were born six children, viz --John D., Henry, Amelia (deceased), Frederick, Elizabeth and Mary. In 1855 Mr. Loewenstein, with his parents, moved West, settling in Iowa City, where he passed his youth. March 28, 1873, he went to Denver, Colo., and August 2, 1875, to Georgetown, Colo. In September, 1876, he took an overland trip from Georgetown to Deadwood, Dak., and acquired a pretty fair idea of frontier life, and in January, 1877, returned to Iowa City. December 11, 1878, he married Mary Schmidt, daughter of John Schmidt, a native of Iowa. To this marriage have been born six children, viz.--Daniel J., William H., Frank J., Alva A., Christina and Ida May. Mr. Loewenstein settled in Buffalo county, Nebr., April 15, 1878, on the northwest quarter of section 17, township 9, range 15. This land is now under the highest state of cultivation, producing large quantities of grain. He has built a comfortable dwelling house, a large commodious barn and many other outbuildings. In politics he is an ardent democrat; as a farmer, he is progressive, belonging to that prudent, thrifty class of German Americans, who make the best of citizens. His harvest implements are never left standing in the field where last used, but carefully stored under shelter nightly, setting an example that might be profitably followed by many a farmer.

JOSEPH A. WATERS is one of the most successful farmers in Buffalo county, Nebr., as his finely improved farm in Center township indicates. He was born April 1, 1847, in Coshocton county, Ohio, and is of Scotch-Irish descent; his father, Allen Waters, a farmer by occupation, having been born in Scotland, and his mother, Frances (Foster) Waters, in Ireland. There were seven children in the paternal family, Joseph being the fourth. Joseph lived at home in Ohio until about twenty-one years of age, during which time he attended the neighboring school and helped cultivate the farm. In 1867 he


emigrated west and located in Scotland county, Mo., where for six years he engaged in farming and worked at the carpenter trade, which trade he still follows at odd intervals. Not being satisfied with his general surroundings in Missouri, he decided to emigrate still further west and take up government land; accordingly, in the spring of 1873, he came to Buffalo county, Nebr., and filed his claim, April 12, under the homestead law, on the quarter section in Center township on which he still resides. The country was very new at that time and settlers were few and far between. There were plenty of deer, elk and antelope and a few remaining Pawnee Indians. The first summer was put in principally at work at the carpenter trade. The following year (1874) he put out corn, oats and wheat, but harvested only a few bushels of wheat, the corn and oats having been totally destroyed by the grasshoppers. The following year he raised a fair crop, but in 1876 again lost nearly everything by the grasshoppers, but he has had good average crops ever since. In 1877, he set out trees on his farm, which are now large and thrifty and present an imposing appearance in the front of his spacious frame residence. He now has two apple orchards, which have borne fruit for five years -- a very rare thing in this country -- and has had extraordinary success in fruit growing.
    Mr. Waters was married November 2, 1871, to Lyia A. Turner, by whom he has one child, Eva, who was born September 9, 1880, but lived to be only three weeks old. Mr. and Mrs. Waters are both members of the Methodist church. In politics, Mr. Waters is a republican.

JOHN E. LUND (deceased) was a native of Norway, born January 22, 1832, and came to this country in early life, locating at Minneapolis, Minn., where he resided for a number of years, and in 1868 located at Omaha, Nebr., and for four years was engaged as a mechanic in the car-shops at that place. He was married in April, 1869, to Annie M. Erickson, who is a native of Canada and was born October 6, 1852. Mr. and Mrs. Lund lived at Omaha until 1874, when, on account of close confinement in the shops, his health failed him and they decided to come farther west and take up government land and farm, in hopes of improving his health. They accordingly located in Buffalo county, Nebr., and filed a claim under the homestead law on a quarter section in Center township, four miles east of Kearney. The country was comparatively new and very sparsely settled. Wild game was plentiful and along the Platte river there were a good many Indians, who frequently called at their house to beg. For the first two years, having no team and being too poor to purchase one, he raised but little produce, and that little was destroyed by grasshoppers. Mr. Lund therefore worked at his trade in town and earned money to keep family, but after the first two years crops were good and he had abundant success. Mr. Lund died May 19, 1885, and since that date Mrs. Lund has conducted the farm and has been very successful in her management of its affairs.
    The union of Mr. and Mrs. Lund resulted in the birth of four children, as follows-- Alvin, born February 25, 1870; Earnest, born August 25, 1876; Emma, born July 1, 1879; and Albert, born Sep-


tember 6, 1881. Mrs. Lund is a member of the Evangelical church, and the manner in which she is rearing her family is such as to elicit favorable comment among her neighbors.

ANTHONY SHOVEL, one of the old and respected citizens of Center township, was born September 21, 1830, in Montreal, Canada. He is a son of Mitchel and Catherine (Palmer) Shovel, both of whom were born in Canada, January 8, 1800, and were of French descent. His paternal grand-father, Mitchel Shovel, was a native of France, but he died in Canada in 1840. His maternal grandfather was Anthony Palmer and was a native of France also. He died in Canada in 1848. Anthony Shovel's parents died when he was quite young, and he was left to look out for himself at ten years of age. He worked on a farm until he was fourteen, and then served an apprenticeship at the black-smithing. He crossed over to the United States in 1849, and visited many of the large cities in this country, going as far south as New Orleans, and worked at his trade a quarter of a century. He came from Ohio to Nebraska in September, 1871, took up a homestead in Center township, Buffalo county, immediately, and determined to make this his home. The country was very wild, but he held great confidence in its future, and believed he would live to see the time when it would be regarded with great promise. He had many interesting experiences with the Indians, and received many calls from them at his house. September 13, 1855, he married Susan Culpeper, a daughter of William and Susan (Lockhart) Culpeper and born July 2, 1834. Her father was born in Culpeper county, Va., and died in 1835. Her mother was born in the same county and died in 1834. They have no children of their own, but adopted James A. McMannis, when eight years of age. He has since gone by the name of James Shovel. They also adopted Maud May Reed, when five months old. She was born May 6, 1881, and is now a bright little girl.

WILLIAM D. GODBEY is the son of John and Ellen (Void) Godbey, and was born at Terre Haute, Ind., May 8, 1830. His father was a native of Virginia and was born in the year 1786. He farmed quite extensively in Virginia until the year 1828, when he emigrated to Indiana, locating near Terre Haute. Here he continued his occupation of farming until the year 1840, when he removed to what was then considered the Western frontier, locating in Des Moines county, Iowa. After a residence there of three years, during which time he farmed, he moved to Mahaska county, Iowa, where he spent the remainder of his life. W. D. Godbey's mother was a native of Indiana and was born in the year 1818. There were eight children in the family, four boys and four girls.
    William D., the subject of this sketch, was married September 26, 1853, to Ingala Ryan, daughter of Jesse B. and Mahala Ryan, both natives of Barbour county, W. Va.; the former was born May 12, 1814, and the latter March 1, 1813. Mr.


and Mrs. Ryan were married October 8, 1833, and lived on a farm in Barbour county until 1846, when they moved to Union county, Ohio, where they resided until 1851, when they moved to Delaware county, Ind., and two years later to Mahaska county, Iowa. There were six children in the family --three boys and three girls.
    Immediately after marriage, Mr. and Mrs. William D. Godbey settled on a farm in Mahaska county, and continued their residence there for twenty five years. They emigrated west in 1878, locating in Cass county, Nebr., where they resided until March, 1884, when they removed to Buffalo county. Their union has been blessed with fourteen children, as follows -- Emery, born August 26, 1854; Harriet A. born December 12, 1855; John C., born April 13, 1857; Jesse B., born January 19, 1859; Emily A., born November 12, 1861; Mahala E., born September 20, 1863; Ulyssus S., born November 29, 1865; Charlie, born April 30, 1867; Olive, born March 30, 1869; Cyrus H., born December 11, l870; Nora, born April 1, 1872; William, born January 30, 1875; Martha E., born November 12,1876; and Della J., born June 19, 1880. Mr. Godbey is independent in politics.

HENRY W. MORSE was born in Richmond, Vermont, February 6, 1845, and is the son of Adam and Mary (Hunter) Morse, natives of Vermont. His father was engaged in mercantile and farming business until he moved to Stark county, Ill., in 1863, where he followed farming for several years. In 1880 he moved to Nebraska, where he has since been engaged in agricultural pursuits. His faithful wife, however, died in 1877. Both were active members of the Baptist church. H. W. Morse, when a lad of sixteen, found employment in a woolen factory in Winooski, Vermont, where he worked until soon after the war broke out. In July, 1862, at the age of seventeen, he enlisted in the One Hundred and Forty second regiment, New York volunteers, and served with credit to his country for three years. He participated in the engagements at Cold Harbor, Fort Darling, Petersburg and Chapin's farm, under the command of the invincible Ben. Butler. He also followed the brilliant Gen. Terry through North Carolina and Smithville, where he was discharged June 15, 1865. He returned to New York, but soon departed for the prairies of Illinois. In 1866 he entered the Cherokee Nation with a large number of cattle. The year 1867 found him back in Illinois again, where he spent two years. In 1870 he went to Dallas county, Iowa, and from there to Stewart, where he conducted a meat market for some time. In 1872 he landed in Gibbon, Buffalo county, Nebr., where he resided four years, after which he spent two years in Wyoming Territory, in charge of a gang of railroad men. When he first came to Buffalo county he took a timber claim, which he proved up several years afterwards, receiving patent No. 2, signed by President Chester A. Arthur.
    Henry W. Morse was married on Christmas day, 1872, to Miss Ida, daughter of Lewis and Mary (Diamond) Throop. She was born in Illinois, May 21, 1855. Her father was a New Yorker by birth


and her mother was born in England. Four children were born of this union--Willie A., born August 28, 1875; Arthur, born November 28, 1878; Lillian, born November 28, 1880; and Mary Jane, born March 2l, 1883. Mr. Morse is one of the leading farmers and stock raisers of Center township, Buffalo county, making a speciality of hogs and cattle. He is a republican in politics and has held various local offices. He is, besides, a member of the Masonic order, Odd Fellows' society, G. A. R. and A. O. U. W.

JOSEPHUS MOORE was born in Ohio, in 1851. His early boyhood was spent in a very similar way to that of other boys of that time. His father was Hamilton Moore, a native of Philadelphia, Pa., but who moved to Columbiana county, Ohio, thence to Clay county, Ind., and from there migrated to Dawson county, Nebr., in 1873; he then moved to Elm Creek township, Buffalo county, and here remained until 1885, when he returned to Indiana. He died October 15, the following year. Politically, he was a republican. Mrs. (Brisco) Moore, the subject's mother, was a native of Virginia, born in 1820. She moved with her parents to Ohio and was married there in 1836. Mr. and Mrs. Moore were both honored members of the Christian church, and to them were born twelve children, viz. -- Mary E. (Mrs. Mills), Sylvanus, Frances Ann (Mrs. Gonnug), Silas, Eliza Jane (Mrs. Tuttle), Josephus, John R. and five that are dead.
    Josephus, the subject of this sketch, migrated with his parents to Nebraska in 1873, settling in Dawson county, and there entering a homestead claim of one hundred and sixty acres. In 1886 he moved to the village of Elm Creek, where he has since been running a restaurant. Mr. Moore is universally respected by all who know him for his excellent traits of character, being always congenial and hospitable. He was married, in 1886, to Miss Ann Shay, a native of Michigan, born in 1870, Mr. Hull, county judge, officiating. Mr. Moore is allied in politics to the republicans.

N. T. BLISS, the subject of this sketch, is one of the progressive young men who came west to grow up with the county. He is a son of N. T. and Hannah M. (Collins) Bliss, and was born in Luzerne county, Pa., February 9, 1852. His father was a native of New York, and his mother of Pennsylvania; the former died in 1866, and the latter in 1888. N. T. Bliss is one of a family of eight children, five of whom are now living. Young Bliss attended the common schools and also spent about eighteen months in a seminary. At sixteen, he became an engineer in the mining regions of Pennsylvania, but he soon saw that it was almost impossible to lay up money while be continued in this line, and he determined to come west. He arrived in Buffalo county, Nebr., in March, 1878, and homesteaded the northwest quarter of section 20, in Gardner township, built a small house, and began breaking at once.
    Mr. Bliss was married August 17, 1882 the lady of his choice being Miss Edith M. Rodgers, a native of England. Their home is blessed with three bright chil-


dren, namely--Clarence, born May 10, 1883, Leilah, born March 23, 1885, and Earl E., born January 28, 1889. Mr. Bliss is a republican in politics, and, while he has not been an aspirant for public office, he has been called upon to fill the office of justice of the peace. He owns a well improved farm, and takes considerable interest in raising blooded cattle, having now some fine specimens of the imported Hereford class. He came west with limited means, but is now classed among the successful and enterprising farmers of Buffalo county.

DAVID INMAN, born November 5. 1836, is one of the first settlers of Buffalo county. He is the son of Powers and Mary (Durst) Inman, both natives of Pennsylvania. The former, a mechanic, was born in the year 1801, and departed this life in 1865; the latter was born January 5, 1805. There were born to them ten children--three boys and seven girl--our subject being the fourth child.
    David Inman lived at home in Meigs county, Ohio, until he was eighteen years of age, during which time he served an apprenticeship and worked at the carpenter's trade, which business he has followed at odd intervals through life. In 1859 he made a trip through Missouri and Kansas with a view of locating in the West, but finally returned home and settled down to his trade.
    September 20, 1861, he responded to his country's call for troops, enlisting in Company K, Eighteenth regiment Ohio Volunteers, and served nearly four years. His regiment left Camp Dennison November 5, 1861, and proceeded to Cincinnati, Louisville, Elizabethtown, Bacon Creek, Bowling Green, Ky., and Nashville, Tenn., engaging in a number of skirmishes; from there on to Huntsville, Ala. He participated in battles at Huntsville, Decatur, Tuscumbia, and Athens, Ala., after which he was confined for two months in the hospital at Shelbyville and Talahoma, (Tenn.), on account of disabilities incurred in marching. He joined his regiment in August, 1862, and took part in the siege of Nashville, battle of Stone River and numerous minor battles, up to the taking of Stoneman's Gap, soon after which he was taken with erysipelas and confined in hospital at Talahoma and Nashville, Tenn., until September, 1863, when he joined his regiment, and took part in the battle of Chickamauga, the siege of Chattanooga, and the battle of Mission Ridge. He was discharged November 9, 1864, and returned to Meigs county, where he followed bridge building until the spring of 1873, when he immigrated to Buffalo county, Nebr., and homesteaded the southeast quarter of section 28, township 10, range 16, where he still resides.
    Mr. Inman was one of the first to settle in Divide township, and, on account of the severe droughts and the grasshoppers which prevailed at that time, was unable to raise much grain for the first four years. He worked at his trade in Kearney at odd times, and was thus able to provide for the family wants. Deer, elk and antelope were plentiful in those times, and furnished part of the family meat.
    Mr. Inman was married April 12, 1805, to Martha Cowdery, a native of Meigs county, Ohio, who was born April 14,


1845. She is the daughter of George W. and Susan (Sayre) Cowdery, both natives of Meigs county, Ohio; the former a lawyer, was born January 15, 1820; the latter was born February 28, 1817. To Mr. and Mrs. David Inman there have been born nine children, as follows--Minerva A., born January 5, 1866; Robert P., born July 23, 1868; Harry, born July 7, 1871; Stella E., born December 5, 1873; Mary E, born April 13, 1876; Nora E., born March 14, 1879; George W., born March 7, 1881; Ruth A., born October 17, 1883, and David P., born August 22, 1885.

JOSEPH FITZ. Among the many fine and prosperous looking places that greet the eye of a traveler on the main road running north from Kearney, through Divide township, is that of this gentleman. He was born in County Down, Ireland, September 15, 1839, and comes of Scotch-Irish descent. His father, Joseph Fitz, a cooper and gunsmith by trade, was a native of Scotland, born in the year 1797; and his mother, Ellen (Murphy) Fitz, a native of Ireland, was born in 1808. There were eight children in the father's family -- all boys. His parents were both zealous members of the Episcopal church.
    Mr. Fitz, the subject proper of this sketch, resided with his father in Ireland until eighteen years of age, coming to this country in July 1847, and locating at Ledgedale, Wayne county, Pa. Here he resided for thirteen years, during which time he served an apprenticeship and worked at the carpenter trade, and was overseer of teams for the Moss Tanning Company. In 1860 he removed to Bradford county, and worked at carpentering for two years, after which he returned to Ledgedale, and in the spring of 1872, on account of the great demand for carpenters, caused by the big fire of the fall before, he moved to Chicago. Here he pursued his trade until the spring of 1874, when he concluded to seek his fortune in the then far West. He, accordingly, came to Buffalo county that spring, and purchased the southeast quarter of section 23, township 10, range 16, his present residence. The same spring he took a timber claim -- the southwest quarter of section 14, same township and range. The following fall he bought two car loads of lumber from Chicago, built a small frame house, and broke a portion of his raw land. In 1876 he had thirty acres in corn and fifty acres in wheat, but, on account of drought and grasshoppers, he lost all his corn and harvested but three bushels of wheat to the acre. There was a general failure in crops that year, and many settlers became discouraged and left the country. Mr. Fitz offered the quarter section on which he lived for $400, but could not sell even at that low figure. He has had good average crops ever since, and a palatial residence, together with other valuable improvements, show his prosperity and speak for his industrious and economical habits. In the meantime, however, he worked at his trade for ten months in Chicago. He has in all three hundred and twenty acres of the best land in Divide town ship, and has broken in all one hundred and eighty acres. He has eleven acres of thrifty growing timber, which of itself is a valuable addition to a farm in this


country, where little timber is to be found. He is also owner of over eighty head of horses and cattle.
    Mr. Fitz was married April 15, 1867, to Elizabeth Patterson, who was born in the city of Rondout, Ulster county, N. Y., July 9, 1851. Her father, Robert Patterson, a native of Ireland, was born in 1828, and her mother, Jane (Henry) Patterson, also a native of Ireland, was born in 1830. There were three children in the father's family--one boy and two girls of which Mrs. Fitz is the eldest. The union of Mr. and Mrs. Fitz has been blessed with a family of children, as follows--Jane, born August 7, 1869 (deceased); Robert P., born October 10, 1870; William J., born February 17, 1873; John H., born April 3, 1875 (deceased); Lilly M., born May 23,1878; Jane E., born December 9, 1880. Mr. and Mrs. Fitz are both members of the Presbyterian church, and take an active interest in church affairs. The former has been a member of the church since 1877; the latter, since October, 1869. Mr. Fitz affiliates with the republican party.

FRANK RICE, one of the highly prosperous and influential farmers of Divide township, Buffalo county, Nebr., was born in Hamilton county, Ohio, November 20, 1835. His father, Jesse Rice, was a native of West Virginia, born in the year 1812. At an early age Jesse emigrated with his father's family to Hamilton county, Ohio, where he learned the trade of a blacksmith, which he followed for some years. Here he met and married, in 1834, Amassie Erskine, which union was blessed with eight children -- five boys and three girls. He moved to Peoria, Ill, in 1836, where for the remainder of his life he was engaged as a steamboat engineer on the Mississippi and Illinois rivers. He died at Peoria in 1874; his wife survived him but two years, dying in 1876.
    Frank Rice, the subject of this sketch, began life on his own account at the age of nineteen, serving an apprenticeship of one year at type-setting in the office of the Peoria Morning News. He became quite proficient in the typographical art and afterwards worked on the Lacon Gazette, a paper published at Lacon, Ill. For several years he ran an engine in several large distilleries at Peoria, and in 1862 moved to Fulton county, Ill., where he engaged in the distilling business for five years. In 1867 he emigrated to Linn county, Iowa, and engaged in milling for one year, then returned to Fulton county, Ill., and engaged in farming. In 1869 he moved to Clinton county, Iowa, where he engaged in the distilling business. He came to Buffalo county, October 31, 1882 and bought four hundred acres of the choicest land in the township, to which he has since added a quarter section, making in all five hundred and sixty acres, on which he now resides. Mr. Rice is one of the most extensive farmers in the county, having raised this year over eight hundred acres of crop principally corn and flax. He is one of the largest flax growers in the state, and this year raised and marketed thirty five hundred bushels of seed.
    Mr. Rice was married September 2, 1859, to Joanna Kline, who was born in Prussia, but, coming to this country at the age of ten years, has little remembrance


of her ancestors. She was reared by an English family at Peoria, 111. By her he has two sons Julian, born May 31, 1860, and Clarence, born December 3, 1868.
    Mr. Rice is a republican in politics and has served a term of two years as supervisor of his township and has just been re-elected for another term. He is a strong high license man and don't believe in sumptuary legislation of any kind.

JOHN F. YOUNG is one of the earliest settlers of Buffalo county, and a man much respected for his honorable and upright course in life. He was born in Union county, Ill., May 26, 1843. His father, Alexander Young, a farmer by occupation, was a native of Kentucky, and was born April 30, 1803. He died in 1844 at the age of forty-one years. His mother, Margaret (Wilgus) Young, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born October 2, 1809. She is still living, hale and hearty, at eighty years of age. There were eight children in the father's family, as follows--Elizabeth, Sarah A., Hester, Eliot, Nancy, Julia, Mary and John F. The father died when John F., whose name appears at the head of this sketch, was a mere babe, and when two years old his mother moved to Logan county, Ohio, and in this and Union county John F. spent his boyhood days. He attended the neighboring school and labored on the farm until the war broke out, when he was one of the first to respond to his country's call, enlisting April 25, 1861, in Company F, Eighth Indiana infantry. He went with his regiment to West Virginia, where, under Gen. Rosecrans, he participated in the battle of Rich Mountain. At the expiration of his time he was discharged August 6, 1861, at Indianapolis. He next enlisted, September 28, 1861, at Columbus, Ohio, in Company K, First Ohio cavalry, and was in Gen. Thomas' division until the re-organization of the cavalry into brigades in the fall of 1862, after which he was in the Army of the Cumberland. April 15, 1862, he was taken sick with the typhoid fever at Pittsburgh landing, and was sent to Camp Dennison Hospital. Later, he obtained a thirty day furlough, and returned home. Joining his regiment the latter part of July, he participated in an engagement at Tallahoma, Tenn., and the battle of Chickamauga in September, at which battle he was wounded in the left fore arm and sent to the Cumberland hospital at Nashville, where he remained one month and was transferred to the hospital at Covington, Ky., where he was confined until the latter part of February following, when he returned to Nashville and re-enlisted as a veteran, March 11, 1864, in the same company and regiment. Altogether, he participated in battles and skirmishes at Calhoun, Tenn.; Decatur, Ala.; Moulton, Ala.; Kennesaw Mountain, Noonday Creek, Peach Tree Creek, Atlanta, Jonesborough, Lovejoy Station, Rome, Dalton and Jasper, Ga.; Ebenezer Church, Ala.; Selma, Ala., Columbus and Alpine, Ga.; Liberty, Perryville and Franklin, Ky., and Dobson's Ford. Mr. Young was one of a small company of men under Captain Joseph A. O. Yoeman, who, disguised in rebel uniform, was sent from Macon, Ga., in search of, and assisted in the capture of,


Jefferson Davis. They were twice taken prisoners by the Union forces but were released on producing papers showing their identity. Mr. Young, for his individual service in the capture of Jeff. Davis, received a special bounty from the government of $329.00. He was discharged at Hilton Head, S. C., September 13, 1865, and now gets a pension of $2.00 per month for disabilities incurred in the War.
    He moved, in November, 1866, to Philadelphia, Pa., where he labored in the lumber industry for three years, after which he returned to Ohio and in Madison and Union counties was engaged in farming until 1873. In May, 1873, he emigrated west and located in Buffalo county, Nebr., taking a claim in section 22, township 10, range 16. In those days that section of the country was very sparsely settled and wild game was plentiful. Mr. Young reports having frequently shot elk, antelope and deer. There were very few buffalo remaining, but now and then one was to be seen. In 1873 he had out ten acres of sod-corn, but, on account of extreme drought, got but little for his labor. In 1874 he broke up more land and put out more crops, but, the grasshoppers coming that year, he harvested only a few bushels of wheat. He lost in like manner his corn in 1875. In 1876 he put out larger crops than ever, but that year the grasshoppers destroyed every growing thing, and even ate the dry bark from off his bean poles. From seventy acres of wheat, that year, he harvested but thirty-three bushels. The suffering and privation his family had to endure can better be imagined than described. The three following years brought good crops. In 1880, he moved back to Ohio locating at Marion, where, for six years, he had a fruit and confectionery store. In 1886, he returned to Buffalo county, Nebr., and has since been engaged in farming.
    He was married April 2, 1864, to Sarah E. King, who was born June 16, 1848, and is the adopted daughter of William and Elizabeth (Kimsey) King; the former was born June 15, 1797, and the latter, June 26, 1797. The union of Mr. and Mrs. Young has been blessed with the birth of eight children, as follows -- Anna E., born October 20, 1866; Eliot (deceased), born July 26, 1869; Margaret, born November 8, 1870; Joanna (deceased) born February 11, 1873; Nellie C., born August 20, 1875; William R., born July 11, 1877; Bessie M., born June 25, 1881, and John M., born April 7, 1883. Mr. and Mrs. Young are both active members of the Methodist Episcopal church and have so reared their children in that belief that their home is one which may truly be characterized a model home.

SAMUEL M. FORNEY is a prosperous farmer in Divide township, Buffalo county, Nebr., much respected by his neighbors and acquaintances for his honesty and integrity. He was born October 23, 1836, in Somerset county, Pa. His father, Michael Forney, a farmer by occupation, was also a native of Somerset county, Pa, and was born in the year 1811. His mother, Rachel (Horner) Forney, was likewise a native of the same county and state, and was born May 5, 1817. There were ten children in the father's family, as follows --Mary, Samuel,


Scans of original pages provided by Vicky Stephens
© Mona J Houser 1998, 1999, 2000 for NEGenWeb Project