native of Indiana, born in 1837; the latter a native of Illinois, born in 1836, To Mr. and Mrs. Smith one child has been born to cheer their home--Cleo, born December 17, 1888. Although Mr. Smith is not enthusiastic in politics, he is immutably a republican.

SHERMAN UPTON. The subject of this sketch is in the eighth generation of the Upton line, which is descended from the first American progenitor, John Upton, a Scotchman by birth, who came to this country about the year 1650, and settled at what was then known as Salem Village, but for more than a century past has been known as Danvers, in Massachusetts. The maternal ancestors of his grandfather, Daniel Upton, are in direct descent from that eminent Puritan, Samuel Morse, who came from England in 1637, and settled in Dedham, Mass., and his own maternal ancestors trace back in direct line to John Moss, who came from England about the same date, and settled in New Haven Conn., in 1639. Sherman Upton is one of a family of four sons and six daughters, all of whom, with the parents, John B. Upton and Julia Sherman Upton, are now living. John B. Upton was one of a family of seven sons and six daughters, all of whom lived to years of maturity, and eleven were present at the golden wedding of their parents, celebrated September 30, 1871. These venerable grandparents of our subject lived to celebrate the sixty-sixth anniversary of their marriage. Sherman Upton was born in Batavia, N. Y., June 9, 1858; removed with his parents to Lawrence, Van Buren county, Mich., in 1859; changed residence with the family to Decatur, same county, in 1869, and there entered upon the earnest labors of life, attending public school and working on a farm during vacations. In 1875 he entered Olivet college, Mich., where he remained two years. The family changed residence, in 1876, to Big Rapids, Mecosta county, Mich., where our subject joined them on leaving Olivet.
    He entered Michigan Agricultural College in the spring of 1878, and continued the course to graduation in August, 1881. The vacations from this course were filled with district school work. While in college his love of art work was much stimulated by the drawings that were given to him to do in illustration of scientific works, the most important of these being drawings of dissected bees, published in a work on bee culture, by Prof. Cook, of that college. He also made great proficiency in character drawing, and, being chosen class prophet, gave the subject in a series of drawings in ink on glass, which, presented by the aid of a stereoptican, gave to his classmates views of the future that, however little they may be realized, will never be forgotten, owing to the numerous sharp hits given to so many personal peculiarities. Upon leaving college, portrait work offered inducements, as also did illustrative newspaper work; but trade seeming to promise something more substantial, he abandoned these in 1883, and entered upon a clerkship in the hardware trade with an uncle in Vermillion, Dak. He engaged in trade for himself in May, 1887, in Elm Creek, Nebr., following N. O. Calkins in the furniture and implement business.


Being a man of versatile talent, and having a keen sense of the sentiment of human faces, it is no surprise that he has added photographing and portraits to his regular line. Having marked ability in the way of reproducing the peculiar natural look in the human face, so dear to friends and so hard to be secured, it is desirable that this departure from the regular, monotonous routine of business shall be a success, as it undoubtedly will be when followed to a finish, and Elm Creek can name among her solid men, this portrait artist of high rank.

JOSHUA BOYD, one of Buffalo county's prosperous farmers, was born in 1850, in Woodford county, Ill. His father, George Boyd, a native of Christian county, Ky., was born in 1816.
    In 1849, he pre-empted land in Woodford county, Ill., and, being industrious, was soon in good circumstances. For forty years he was a devoted member of the Christian church, being one of its liberal supporters; also, the temperance cause received his liberal support. Honesty and sobriety were the ruling elements of his life. He was allied with the republican party from the beginning of Lincoln's administration, and for a number of years he was supervisor of Cruger township.
    His parents were Hardy and Mary (Tosian) Boyd, who were born in Virginia, east of the Blue Ridge mountains, on the Potomac river. In 1846, in Hopkinsville, Ky., he was married to Eliza J. Pierce, also a native of the same county and state; she was born in 1822, and, like her husband, was a member of the Christian church. Mr. Boyd passed from earth, November 14, 1890.
    Mr. and Mrs. Boyd were the parents of nine children, viz.--Lucy Ann (Mrs. Major), Illinois; Joshua, John, of Illinois; Sarah V. (Mrs. Hedges); Alice (Mrs. E. M. Boyd), deceased; Susie, of Illinois, deceased; Charlica (Mrs. Miller); Peter and Belle died in infancy.
    Joshua Boyd, the subject of this sketch, began life for himself in 1873, and started with fifty acres of land and necessary farming implements. In 1884: he migrated to Elm Creek, Nebr., and located on section 27, township 9, range 18 west. He now owns a quarter section, most of which is under cultivation, valued at $40 per acre. Mr. Boyd is engaged in the stock business, and is the owner of some of that famous stock, La Perch (Bertrand) and was one of the first to embark in the business in Buffalo county. Mr. Boyd is a republican in politics, also a member of the A. O. U. W. Lodge; for many years he has been a member of the Christian church, always willing to respond to the calls for charity. In 1874, at Eureka, Ill., he was married to Miss Calista R. Gould, a native of Virginia, having moved from Bethany, Va., to Eureka, Ill., with her parents while young. Her father, Lewis B. Gould, was born in Brattleboro, Vt., in 1820. Her mother was a native of Bethany, Va.
    Mrs. Boyd is a member of the Methodist church.
    Mr. and Mrs. Boyd are the parents of eight children, viz.--Clarence R., Virginia Belle, Vida Ellen, Edward O., Susie May, Mima Olive (living), Jay G. and Claudius J. died in infancy.


WILLIAM H. DEMPSTER, farmer of Garfield township, Buffalo county, Nebr., was born in Adams county, Ill., in May, 1851 and was reared on a farm. His father, George Dempster, was a native of Ohio, who, when a young man, located in Illinois, and after living there for some years, married Miss Elizabeth Lewton of that state. Some years after marrying, he came to Nebraska (in 1872), and is now a resident of Hall county, this state. William H. Dempster is the eldest of a family of ten children, all of whom are living in Nebraska, excepting one brother, who is in Minnesota. William H. came to Nebraska in 1872 with his parents and other members of the family, and first located near Hastings, Hall county, where he pre-empted a quarter section of land while yet a single man, but made no improvements thereon. In 1876 he married Miss Augusta F., daughter of William H. and Mary A. Denman, who came from Illinois to Nebraska in 1858. Mr. Denman, a cattle ranchman, was a native of Ohio and died in 1886, at the age of sixty-eight years; his widow is now about seventy four years old. To the union of W. H. Dempster and wife were born five children, viz. -- Mattie M., Edgar, Evelyn and Ella, al living, and a twin to Ella who died at three months of age. Mr. Dempster, after his marriage, resided in Hall county, until fall of 1880, moved to Buffalo county, and entered a homestead and also a timber claim, one quarter section each. on the east half of section 20, township 12, range 14, about two miles from what is now Ravenna, and has ninety acres under cultivation in mixed crops; he also is engaged in stock-raising. When he first came to his present locality there had been but little improvement made, but he has seen railroads come in, towns spring up and the prairie put under cultivation and beautified. In the early day trading was done at Gibbon, and deer and other game was the chief meat supply. Mr. Dempster and wife are members of the Christian church and stand high in the esteem of their neighbors. In polities, Mr. Dempster is a republican, was the first clerk of his township, and has been road overseer since its organization three years ago.

FRITZ STARK, miller of Garfield township, Buffalo county, Nebr., was born in Holstein, Germany, November 28, 1834. His father, Friedrich Wilhelm Stark was superintendent of a large farm in the old country; he married Lucy Schall, and by her became the father of five children, of whom Fritz is the youngest. Fritz Stark came to America alone, landing in New York, June l6, 1864; from that city he went to Davenport, Iowa, and for three years followed his trade as miller; from Davenport he came to Nebraska in February, 1867, and until the first day of May of the same year resided at Omaha; thence he went to Grand Island, where he remained until October, 1870; then he moved to Fremont and to Council Bluffs, being employed as an elevator hand at the latter place; he next returned to Grand Island, in April, 1871, and later started a saw-mill on Oak Creek, but the mill was not profitable, and he passed two more years at Grand


Island; he then passed two and a half years in the milling business at Gibbon, and in 1876 located on his present homestead, it being one-half of section 2, Garfield township. One quarter section is a homestead and the other quarter is a timber claim. He has sixty acres under cultivation in mixed crops, has good buildings and most of his farm fenced in. His residence and barns are large frame structures, surrounded by fine orchards and groves. The farm shows thrift and good management, and is situated opposite the town of Nantusket in the valley of Loup river, with water convenient for his stock. Mr. Stark was married at Grand Island, in 1877, to Miss Wilhelmina Gaden, a native of Germany, and two children bless this union -- William and Anna. Mr. Stark has two brothers in this country -- John C., a plasterer and mason, living at Grand Island; and Carl, a farmer living near Litchfield, Sherman county. Mt. Stark is in politics independent and unfavorable to prohibition. He takes great interest in the development of his country, and is a true American citizen.

O. H. SMALLEY is the youngest child of Charles and Delina Smalley, both natives of Vermont. Charles Smalley was born in 1815, at Bellows Falls. A man of irreproachable character, upright and honorable in all his dealings, he won the confidence and esteem of all who knew him. His occupation was farming, but the hard work of the farm did not prevent the development of his kind and generous nature. He belonged to the republican party. In 1837, at Grafton, Vt., he was married to Miss Delina Davis, who bore him six children, as follows -- Charles, born in Vermont, now in the livery business in Kansas City; Emerline, died in 1885; Mary, (Mrs. Zeull). whose husband is a foreman in a cab shop in Springfield, Vt.; David, in a sale stable, Bellows Falls, Vt; Levi, farming in Kansas, and O. H., the subject of this memoir.
    O. H. Smalley was born in Vermont in 1851. At the age of twenty-one he gave his father $500 of his earnings, and then went to Galva, Ill., there engaging in the livery business, and in this he continued until 1883, when he moved to Elm Creek, Nebr., here engaging and farming and stock raising. At the present writing, O. H. Smalley owns nine hundred and seventy acres of good farm land and feeds about one hundred head of stock. Mr. Smalley is a supporter of the democrat platform, also a member of the Masonic order. In 1875, while at Galva, Ill., he was married to Miss Ada Smith, a native of that place, born in 1856. After a course in the Knoxville seminary she became a teacher and taught three years previous to her marriage. To them one child has been born -- Jessie, born January 30, 1878.

JACOB L. BLUE, M. D., hotel proprietor, Nantasket, Nebr., was born in New Market, Middlesex county, N. J., February 24, l826. His father, Henry Blue, also a native of New Jersey, was a manufacturer of shoes at one time, but afterwards became a merchant. He married Miss Mary, daughter of Harmon and Charity Staley, both natives of New Jersey and of German and French descent,


respectively. Harmen Staley was a farmer and he and family were highly respected in the neighborhood in which they lived. To the union of Henry and Mary Blue were born twelve children -- nine girls and three boys -- the subject of these lines being the fifth child. Henry Blue died in his native state in 1861. Jacob L. Blue was educated in the common schools of New Jersey, and at the age of fourteen years began learning the trade of millwright, at which he continued four years. He then went to an uncle, a practicing physician at New Brunswick, N. J., and with him as preceptor studied medicine, was admitted to practice and became a partner or assistant to his uncle and preceptor. In 1844 he purchased a farm and was married. He followed agriculture about three years, then sold and went to Orange, N. J., where he entered mercantile trade, together with building and dealing in real estate. Three years later he sold out all his possessions and moved to Ohio, where for two years he followed farming, and then for a year practied (sic) medicine. Again returning to New Jersey, he resumed the real estate business and was appointed marshal of Orange.
    September 3, 1862, he was enrolled as a private in Company G, Twenty-sixth New Jersey volunteers. For nine months he was on detailed duty as recruiting officer, and after the regiment was fully organized he was appointed librarian. But in a short time the regiment became actively engaged, and Mr. Blue was compelled to abandon the library and follow his regiment, which had been ordered to Washington, where it was assigned to the Sixth army corps. He was a participant in some of the most memorable battles of Virginia, in which state the greater part of his duty was performed, and he served gallantly until the close of his term of enlistment. On one occasion, he was detailed to take pontoon boats out of the Rappahannock river; the night being very very dark he was caught between two boats and was badly crushed, and from the internal hemorrhage caused by this accident he has never fully recovered -- neither has the government recognized his claim for a pension. He was treated for his injury in the hospital at Washington, and after re-enlisting was employed in that institution during his convalescence, but was stricken down by typhoid fever, and had therefore to be treated for the complication of two disorders. He recovered sufficiently, however, to return to his post of duty, but soon after received his discharge. After a brief stay at home he revisited Washington, where he was employed for a month as gardian (sic) of public property; resigning, he joined Gen. Grant's engineering corps; but a short time afterwards returned to Washington and was re-instated in his former position, which he held until the close of the war.
    After another brief visit to his native state, Dr. Blue bought a farm in Maryland, on which he resided two years, practicing medicine. He then sold out and returned to New Jersey, where for a year he engaged in merchandising; then for three years he filled a position in the state asylum, and, after that, passed nine months in the West. On his return to his native state, he sold out all his effects, raised a colony, and in April, 1876, again started for the West. His first visit to Nebraska was in 1875; his second coming,


as intimated above, was less than a year later. He, his family and colony, numbering forty-three in all, settled in Buffalo county, in Buckeye valley, which, since its organization, is known as Valley township. He pre-empted a quarter-section, and, like the rest of the colony, began the work of improvement. For three years he followed farming and the practice of medicine, then sold out and went to Burgh, where he practiced medicine and held the offices of postmaster and justice of the peace for three years; and in September, 1882, he moved to Gibbon, where he lived ten months, then settled in Garfield township, where he located his homestead in the northwest quarter of section 22, township 12, range 14. He here, after two years, relinquished the regular practice of his profession -- attending only old friends and patients -- and devoted himself to the development of his farm, on which he lived five years, proved up his claim and still owns. In the interval, he purchased a hotel property in Nantasket, and is now making his home in that town. He has been dealing to some extent in real estate the past few years, and besides his hotel property he owns over twenty-eight town lots and also owns and conducts a flour and feed store.
    Dr. Blue was first married, in 1844, to Olivia Stetson, daughter of Stephen Stetson, a hat manufacturer of Orange, N. J. To this union six children were born and named in the following order: Alonzo, Caroline, Melissa, Susan, Stephen and Martha. The mother and two of the children (Stephen and Martha), died in 1866, while the doctor and his family were residing in Maryland. The doctor afterwards married Miss Alice, daughter of Charles Crampton, of Rockaway, N. J. To this union have been born six children, viz. -- Ella (deceased), Lizzie, Amos (deceased), Clarence, Lucinda and Albert.
    While living in New Jersey, Dr. Blue was a member of the Baptist church, but on reaching Nebraska, finding no congregation of that denomination here, he united with the Presbyterians, and has always since been a faithful member. He has always taken great interest in the moral training of the young and has devoted much time to this purpose since he took up his residence in Nebraska. While living in Buckeye valley he established a union Sabbath-school at Burgh, and has been prime mover in establishing seven other Sabbath schools. For three years he has been superintendent of two of these schools, and is director of a day school. He is now an elder of his church and has also held all the more important offices thereof, including those of treasurer and secretary. In civic matters he has filled the office of justice of the peace; and is at present the deputy postmaster at Nantasket, the postoffice being in his own store and his son-in-law being the postmaster. Mr. Blue is a member of the society of American Mechanics, as well as of the G. A. R., of which last-named body he is chaplain. Mr. Blue has purchased a building in Nantasket, which he furnishes for church privileges, never charging anything for rent. It is needless to make any comment upon the career of so progressive a man as Jacob L. Blue.
    In politics, Mr. Blue is an active prohibitionist, striking hard blows for the cause, wherever he lives.


DAVID H. HUTCHISON, farmer, was born in Steuben county, N. Y., May 4, 1849, but at the age of six years was taken by his parents to Michigan and thence to Wisconsin, and in the latter state lived until he reached manhood. When about twenty-one he went to Illinois and followed for a living common laboring work in the vicinity of Dixon and Chicago. From Illinois he went to Iowa, in 1877, and for five years engaged in farming on rented land. In March, 1882, he came to Nebraska and bought from the railroad company his present farm -- the northeast quarter of section 7, township 19, range 14 -- then all wild and raw. He has now eighty acres in cultivation, raising mixed crops and graded live stock, including Clydesdale horses. On his first coming here he found no railroad, no town, and was compelled to go through all the hardships and inconveniences of pioneer life, but he bravely went to work and improved his homestead and now finds himself comfortably situated, with his postoffice at Ravenna, one and one-half miles to the southeast, and railroad facilities at the same point.
    William Hutchison, the father of the subject of this sketch, was also a native of the State of New York, was a wagon-maker by trade and was also engaged in the saw mill and lumber business. He married Miss Esther Sweet, who bore him thirteen children. Of these David H. is the fifth, and beside himself there are three of his brothers living in Buffalo county Nebr., and there are also three of his brothers living in Cherry county, same state. In March, 1877, while in Illinois, David H. Hutchison married Miss Sarah, daughter of Calvin and Marietta Buffington, of Pennsylvania. The father of Mrs. Hutchison was a farmer, and settled near Dixon, Illinois, in 1856, and there died about ten years later. To the marriage of David H. and Sarah Hutchison have been born seven children in the following order -- Frank, Marietta, Fred, Jessie (died in 1883, at the age of eleven months), Seth, Charles and Malcolm. In politics Mr. Hutchison is a republican. Mrs. Hutchison is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, but Mr. Hutchison, although a member of the same church when he was a resident of Illinois, does not at present affiliate with any religious society, but his upright and moral life wins for him the full respect of the community with which he has so happily cast his lot.

JOHN S. SALSBURY, a farmer of Garfield township, Buffalo county, Nebr., was born in Saratoga county, in the State of New York, October 8, 1842. His father, James Salsbury, was also a native of New York State, and by occupation was a farmer, which occupation he followed until his death, November 4, 1844; but while pursuing his life work on the farm, was much interested in politics, and was honored, by his fellow citizens, with several positions of trust and duty. He married Miss Caroline, daughter of John W. Creal, of New York State, and to this marriage were born two children--Polly M., who died June 7, 1844, and John S., the subject proper of this sketch. In July 1864 John S. Salsbury married Miss Rachel H., daughter of John and Anna


Runnels, natives of Ohio, who first moved to Indiana, and then to Iowa, of which latter state Mr. Salsbury was a resident when his marriage took place. To the union of John S. and Rachel H. Salsburv have been born seven children, in the following order -- Elmer W., Annie C., Rachel P., Cady M., Mary E., Roy C. and Guy A. Of these children, Elmer died while yet an infant; Cady M. died June 8, 1883, at the age of twelve years; Rachel P. died in February, 1886, at the age of seventeen.
    John S. Salsbury came to Nebraska, January 1, 1879, and located first in Sherman county. In May, 188l, he changed to Buffalo county, and entered a homestead claim on the northwest quarter of section 34, township 12, range 14, where he first built a sod house and went to work at getting his farm ready for cultivation, breaking twenty-five acres the first year. He has since built a good, large frame dwelling, has one hundred and ten acres under cultivation, has a fine orchard started, and is possessed of every convenience to make a comfortable home. He has always been successful in raising good mixed crops, since his residence here, and live stock has received much of his attention. On his first coming here, there were only three farms opened up in the township, but now the whole township is dotted with flourishing farms, among which his is one of the best, owing to his industry and skillful management. Railroads have come in, and towns have been built up, and Mr. Salsbury is now close to a market and a shipping point. Reared to be a farmer in the State of Iowa, to which state his parents had moved while he was yet but a lad, he gained a full knowledge of agricultural work, and hence comes his success in that pursuit in Nebraska. While in Iowa, Mr. Salsbury enlisted, in June 1861, at Clarinda, Page county, in company F, First Nebraska infantry, and served in Missouri, Tennessee, Kentucky and Arkansas; he veteranized in January, 1864, and the latter part of his service took place on the Western plains. He was mustered out in July, 1866. During his service in the army he was transferred from the infantry to the cavalry branch of service. At the fight at Helena, Ark., he was taken prisoner, and for a week or so was confined at Little Rock. Released on parole, he went to St. Louis, Mo.. and thence to his home, where he was arrested as a deserter, but, after the Pesident's (sic) proclamation, returned to his regiment, then at Cape Girardeau, and served with it until the close of the struggle, without further mishap. On his return to Iowa, he engaged in building bridges, and was also engaged in the milling business -- the latter business occupying his attention until the time of his coming to Nebraska. After his arrival here, Mr. Salsbury was made the first justice of the peace of the township in which he located, and served two terms; subsequently he was elected supervisor, and in this capacity served also two terms. He has also served as assessor and road overseer, and in every position gave the utmost satisfaction to his constituents. Mr. Salsbury and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and are devoted in their attention to its services and discipline. Mr. Salsbury is also commander of Cedar Mountain Post, No. 220, G. A. R., in which he takes the utmost interest. His interest in the granger (sic)


movement is likewise unbounded, and he with much ability, acts as lecturer and state delegate for the Farmers' alliance. His habits are strictly temperate, and he is a strong advocate for the prohibition of the manufacture or sale of intoxicants in the state. His politics he confines altogether to the republican party. His standing before the public is of the highest, and which he has held, unsolicited, give evidence of the esteem in which he is held by his neighbors.

HENRY NANTKER was born in Pittsburg, Pa., in 1848. He is the son of William and Mary (Laingkamp) Nantker, natives of Holland. The former was born in 1816, and when nineteen years of age came to America, settling in Pittsburg, Pa., where, for a number of years, he was in the employ of Jones & Cooley, a firm handling steamboats' supplies. Later he formed a partnership with his sons in the wholesale flour, feed and grain trade, in which he continued until retiring from active business. In 1844, he was married to Miss Mary Laingkamp, and to this union have been born three children, viz. -- William, Henry and John, the first and third living in Pittsburg. Mr. and Mrs. Nantker were both active members of the Evangelical church. Mr. Nantker was a democrat in politics and his popularity was such that he was elected repeatedly to the office of treasurer of South Pittsburg. Henry Nantker, the subject of this biographical notice, was engaged in the flour, feed and grain business in Pittsburg for a number of years with his father. His popularity was such, while there, that he was elected councilman of the city, in which capacity he served for some time. In 1879, he migrated to Nebraska, settling in Elm Creek township, Buffalo county, first locating on section l, township 8, range 18 west, there remaining four years, and then moving to section 36, township 9, range 18, and remaining three years, and from there he moved to the village, where he now resides, engaged in the druggist and notion business. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. Mr. Nantker married Miss Matilda Borman, a native of Pittsburg, born in 1857. Their union has been blessed with three children, viz. -- Addie, born July 20, 1877; William and Harry. Previous to coming to Nebraska, Mr. and Mrs. Nantker were honored members of the Evangelical Lutheran church. Mr. Nantker is a supporter of the democratic platform, and, since coming to Elm Creek, has held various offices in the gift of the people. In 1881, he was nominee for the legislature.

WILLIAM W. POOL, farmer, and secretary and manager of the Nebraska Land and Cattle Company, with headquarters at Ravenna, Nebr., was born in Niagara county, N. Y., March 17, 1844. His father, William H. Pool, a native of Massachusetts, was reared a farmer, and in 1844 emigrated to Michigan, in which state he is still residing at the advanced age of eighty


-two years -- his earliest recollection of any notable object being a sight of the soldiers of the war of 1812. He married Miss Irena, daughter of Obed Smith, and this union was blest with the following children--A. H. Pool, now living nine miles north of Kearney, Nebr, A. S. Pool, in the coal business at Chicago, Ill.; B. F. Pool, a farmer near Romeo, Mich., Harriet M. Pool, unmarried and living at Romeo, Mich., and William W., the subject proper of these lines.
    At the age of four years, William W. Pool was taken by his parents to Michigan, in which state he remained until he was eighteen years old, when he went to Oil City, Pa. He was reared chiefly on a farm, but had a taste for general business, and although he received but a limited share of schooling, acquired later a practical education, which enabled him to transact or enter into any branch of trade. In 1872, Mr. Pool married Miss Eva H., adopted daughter of Charles Williams, a foundry and millman of Wellsborough, Pa., who died in 1889; her mother, Sophia J. Hoyt, having died in 1854, and her father, Joseph B. Hoyt, having been killed while serving his country in the Union army in 1861. To the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Pool have been born four children -- Ella; Bartlett F., who died in January, 1880, at the age of five years; Gertie S., and Eva I., who died when but six weeks old.
    William W. Pool came to Nebraska in October, 1876, and at first pre-empted a quarter section, in section 12, township 11, range 15; subsequently, he secured a homestead claim of a quarter section, and a timber claim for another quarter, both in section 6, township 11, range 14; he at once commenced to improve his farm, erecting substantial buildings and farming until 1883, when he, with others, organized the Nebraska Land and Cattle Company, under the laws of the State of New York; in 1889, however, the company was reorganized under the laws of Nebraska. To this company Mr. Pool disposed of one-quarter section of his land, reserving one-half section for his home. The company owns ten thousand acres of land, and is engaged in raising and handling live stock, and its officers are B. F. Peck, of East Bethany, N. Y., president; R. L. Downing, of Kearney, Nebr., vice president; and W. W. Pool, the subject of this sketch, secretary and manager, and for the last named position no better selection could have been made. In addition to stock-raising and trading, the company cultivate three thousand five hundred acres in mixed crops, and in 1889 grew eight hundred acres in wheat, with a fair yield. The average number of cattle raised, fattened and shipped annually, is one thousand, two hundred head, and hogs are also handled. The average number of hands employed by the company is thirty, and it requires about one hundred and fifty horses to do its work. Mr. Pool has a fine residence in Ravenna, but pays daily visits to the company's ranch, and gives its affairs special attention. Telegraphic communication is had between the ranch and his residence, the two being about five miles apart. Besides being the manager of this large business, in which he has been a stockholder from the beginning, Mr. Pool is vice-president of the First National Bank of Ravenna, and president of the Ravenna Creamery


Scans of original pages provided by Vicky Stephens
© Mona J Houser 1998, 1999, 2000 for NEGenWeb Project