BIOGRAPHICAL SOUVENIR OF BUFFALO COUNTY
area of country to look after. He took an active part in the general legislation before the house and in the committee rooms. During the last session of the legislature, he was selected by his county board as a delegate from his county to act, in connection with others similarly selected to consider the revision, and propose measures for the recasting of the township laws of the state, and at the first meeting of those delegates, held at Columbus, he was made chairman of the convention, and at the second meeting, held at Lincoln, he was sent as a delegate from that convention, to urge before the legislature the passage of the measures proposed by the convention, nine out of twelve of which measures were passed and became laws. He also had in charge a measure from the Nebraska State Dairymen's Association, asking for an annual appropriation of $1,000, for which he drafted a bill and secured its passage. He has been particularly active in behalf of the dairying interests of the state, being now president of the State Dairymen's Association. He has served his township on the county board of supervisors, being the present member of the board from Gibbon township, and has been a member of the town council of Gibbon several terms, and active in its municipal affairs. In January, 1889, he was admitted to the Buffalo county bar, having since given some time and attention to the practice of law, and in July, 1889, he was appointed postmaster at Gibbon, an office which he continues to hold.
With these interests and pursuits, Mr. Ashburn's life has been and continues to be, an active, not to say laborious, one; yet, as exacting as his duties have been and are, he has discharge them with entire satisfaction to those concerned, and has succeeded in his own personal affairs far beyond the average of business men. It would be doing injustice to his most excellent and deserving wife not to say in this connection, that in his labors, both of a public and private nature, he has been materially assisted by her, and not a little of the success he has attained has been reached through her efficient labors and zealous co-operation. As has already been noted, Mr. Ashburn married in his native county, in Ohio. The lady whom he selected to share his life's fortunes was Miss Emily Amanda Brown, who was reared in Trumball county, Ohio, but was a native of New York. Mr. and Mrs. Ashburn were married August 3, 1862, since which time they have borne each other the cherished companionship which they sought with each others' hands, and have reared, almost to maturity, an interesting family of children. For these duties, as well as for those in the more extended sphere, in which she has been called in connection with her husband's business, Mrs. Ashburn is admirably fitted, being a lady of not only sound intelligence, but of an abundance of practical sagacity, discriminating judgment and business methods and accomplishments, possessing withal, a well-cultured mind and a nature rich in the treasures of her sex.
I. D. LABARRE, the first man who ever sold a dollar's worth of goods in the town of Gibbon, is still a resident of that place and is yet engaged in mercantile business there. He settled on the
BIOGRAPHICAL SOUVENIR OF BUFFALO COUNTY
present town site of Gibbon on April 7, 1871, being a member of the Soldiers' Free Homestead Temperance Colony, by which the village of Gibbon and most of Gibbon township was settled. Most of the members of this colony, as appears in the history thereof, were from Ohio, but it was recruited by volunteers from other states who fell in at different points, there being in all representatives of more than twenty states. Mr. LaBarre came from New York, of which state he is a native. He is a descendant of two old York state families, the advent of whose ancestors on this continent runs back into the mists of the past, and he is of French extraction and Huguenot stock on both sides. The family name is variously spelled and abbreviated, appearing as LaBar, De LaBar, LaBarre and LaBaire, and representatives of the name are now found in many parts of the United States, especially scattered over the states of New York, Pennsylvania and western states. Mr. LaBarre's father, grandfather and great grandfather were natives of York state, and it is highly probable that his first ancestors on American soil were as many as four or five generations removed from himself. The LaBarrs, DuBoises, LeFevers and Beviers were early settled families of New York as appears from the mention of their names in connection with the first settlement of thc French Protestant refugees there. Whether his people belonged to the Ulster County colony or the Staten Island colony is not known, but in either case his ancestry would run back to the early part of the seventeenth century, as these colonies were settled about the same time the colony at Jamestown was.
I. D. LaBarre is the second of seven children born to John and Rosetta (Walker) LaBarre and first saw light August 4, 1834, in Hartford, Washington County, N. Y. He was reared in Washington and Essex counties, which join, and was brought up as a sailor on Lake Champlain and Hudson river and off the coast of New York. He married in January, 1856, Miss Mary W., a daughter of Minus Winter, his wife having been born and reared in the same community with himself and being like himself a descendant of old settlers of the northern part of York state. He engaged in business in his native county and in Essex, and was so engaged when he decided to move west. The circumstances which led to his coming to Nebraska were such as have happened to may others and doubtless have been given to print many times before. He became dissatisfied with the over-crowded condition of things in his own state and wanted to get into a new country, where opportunities for getting on in the world were better than they were where he was. He cut loose from friends, relatives and business connections in the spring of 1871, and started west, not knowing at that time where he would cast his lot. He left Washington county in company with Dr. I. P. George, who will be remembered by all the old settlers, and as above stated fell in with the Old Soldiers' Homestead Colony and became one of the founders of the town of Gibbon, Buffalo county. Mr. LaBarre's first experience as the first merchant of Gibbon was sufficiently novel to satisfy the taste of any lover of pioneer methods. He opened his first stock of goods in a box-car, on a part of the train which was side-tracked where
BIOGRAPHICAL SOUVENIR OF BUFFALO COUNTY
Gibbon now stands and used by the colonists until houses were erected, and this stock of goods he brought with him and began selling the day after his arrival. As soon as the town site was located he secured a lot and built a store house and moved in, becoming one of the fixtures of the place. This lot adjoins the one on the west of that on which his store now stands. Business, never very prosperous in the early days, grew distressingly dull after the first year or two. The men who settled in Gibbon and vicinity, like the early settlers of all new countries, were men of brawn and brain, but not men of means. They came west to better their condition. Their wants were few and their ability to buy limited. In the early days, at least, the town was not a place where small tradesmen could soon bloom out as merchant princes. The tradesman shared the lot that fell to the average citizen. In many instances he fared worse. When the hard years came, the years when the grasshoppers and drouth (sic) spread suffering over the land, the shopkeeper found it as difficult to maintain his foothold and keep starvation from his door as did the poor homesteader. Yielding to the pressure of hard times Mr. LaBarre went out of business in 1874, and remained out till the return of good crops brought a revival of trade. With the exception of this period of general distress, when all of the old settlers had to resort to one makeshift and another to live, hardly anyone remaining at his accustomed business, Mr. LaBarre has been engaged actively in the mercantile business in Gibbon since the date of the founding of the colony in 1871 to the present time. His is the oldest establishment of the kind in the place and he is in point of residence Gibbon's first merchant. He has seen all the changes which have marked the growth and development of the town and vicinity--has seen a country which twenty years ago was one unending stretch of prairie rapidly settled up with a thrifty class of citizens and become dotted over with peaceful and happy homes. He has seen the spot where the pioneers of Buffalo county first pitched their tents grow from a train of boxcars to a prosperous town of several hundred people, having all the conveniences and comforts of an eastern village, and he has seen many of the first settlers, whose earlier years on the plains were marked by a prolonged and arduous struggle for bread and butter, become well-to-do citizens, owning broad acres, well improved and furnished with commodious and elegant buildings. Thousands of dollars' worth of goods have been brought to Gibbon, sold and consumed, since Mr. LeBarre sold his first article of merchandise from a box car in 1871. Store buildings have been erected by the score and merchants have come and gone, many of whom are not now remembered. Through all the changing years and all the varying seasons, except only the grasshopper period, the subject of this sketch has remained practically on the spot where he built his first building and has continued to supply the local trade with whatever was wanted in his line.
Mr. LaBarre, although an old-timers not a type of the Western rustlers in business such as have passed into common fame and newspaper notoriety. He is destitute of the grasping, money-getting spirit characteristic of the average Westerner. The restlessness, scheming, worry
BIOGRAPHICAL SOUVENIR OF BUFFALO COUNTY
and annoyance that come of that spirit he is singularly exempt from. He believes to the fullest extent in the maxim. "Live and let live." He believes in accumulating by natural but not by artificial means. As a merchant he sells to supply demand, but does not seek to create a demand by clap-trap advertising, or other means, that he may supply it. For this spirit of fairness, his equanimity and settled habits, he is largely indebted to heredity. The people from whom he is descended were distinguished for their liberality, their largeness of thought and fairness in dealing; for their settled convictions, the evenness of their temper and the general serenity of their lives. Strongly religious and shockingly persecuted for religion's sake they learned to deal with others in a spirit of charity unequalled by any other sect. They exemplified in their daily lives in a truly admirable manner the wholesomeness of the maxim, "Live and let live."
It is hardly necessary to say that Mr. LaBarre has never mixed in politics. He has no taste for the wranglings of public life. He held the position of postmaster at Gibbon during Grant's administration --the only position of a public nature he has ever filled. He is a republican in politics and a strong believer in the teachings of his party. In the matter of religion, he adheres to the doctrines of his fathers, being a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
Mr. LaBarre has but one child, a daughter grown and married -- Mrs. Cora LaBarre White, wife of Alva White, of Gibbon.
Socially, Mr. LaBarre and his family are among the foremost of the community.
GEORGE H. SILVERNAIL is one of the old settlers of Gibbon township, Buffalo county, having come with the Soldiers' Homestead Colony in April, 1871. He is a native of Geauga county, Ohio, and was born in July, 1845. He comes of pioneer stock; his parents were born in New York, but settled early on the Ohio frontier. His father, Calvin Silvernail and his mother, Abigail Rathburn, are still living, being residents of Gibbon and now well advanced in years. Besides himself there were six children in the family to which the subject of this sketch belongs, the full fist being -- Elizabeth, George H, Eugenia R., John H., James, Eliza and Frederick.
The subject of this notice, George H., was reared in his native county to the age of sixteen, moving thence in 1861 to Wisconsin. There, in September, 1864~ at the age of nineteen, he enlisted in the Union army, entering Company K. Fifth Wisconsin, on its re-organization and serving with it until the surrender. He took part in all the battles in which his regiment participated, chief among them being those at Petersburg, Hatcher's run and Appomattox. He was mustered out in September, 1865, at Ballss Hill, Wis. The following six years he lived in Wisconsin and Michigan, coming to Nebraska, in April 1871. He was accompanied to this state by his brother John H, now of Kearney, and two others, Daniel R. Davis and Samuel Mattice. In the choice for homesteads these four cast their lots together and agreed to locate as near each other as possible, one man to draw, as was the arrangement, for the entire four. Mr. Silvernail drew for his comrades and himself, getting the twenty-eighth choice.
BIOGRAPHICAL SOUVENIR OF BUFFALO COUNTY
He and his friends took claims on the south side of Wood river, a short distance west of the town of Gibbon, but not liking the soil they gave up their claims there and selected others in section 10, just north of the river. There they located, and our subject, being the only old soldier in the crowd, got one hundred and sixty acres while the others took eighty each. He filed on the southwest quarter of the section, improved it and lived there till 1883, except one year he resided in Gibbon. Selling this he afterward moved to his present place of residence, four miles north of Gibbon, in Valley township. He has been steadily engaged in farming and has filled the usual number of local offices, having been the first precinct assessor (elected in the fall of 1871), one of the organizers of his school district and for several years a member of the school board and more recently clerk of Valley township.
Mr. Silvernail was a single man when he came to Buffalo county, but married in the fall of 1872, November 17th, taking for a companion a young lady who, like himself, braved the hardships and privations of frontier life at that date in search of a home -- Miss Marcia E. Howe, a native of Newport, N. H., her father, George W. Howe, and her mother, Sarah M. Carr, both being natives of Newport; the father died in the town of Marlow, that state, in 1884, at the age of seventy-three, but the mother is still residing there. Mrs. Silvernail is one of a family of six children, two of whom besides herself were among the early settlers of Buffalo county, Nebr.: these being Mrs. E. C. Griffin, now of Gibbon; and Mrs. Dr. Ira P. George, of Elkins, Colfax county, N. M. Mrs. Silvernail came to Buffalo county in the fall of 1871. Three children, all boys, have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Silvernail -- Merton L, Errol H. and Halbert G. Among the few remaining old settlers of Gibbon township, those who came early and in the arduous undertaking of subduing nature and planting the seeds of civilization, "bore the heat and burden of the day," none have been more faithful in the task imposed on them and none are more highly esteemed that George H. Silvernail and his estimable wife, whose memory and the part they took in the settlement of their adopted home are here commemorated.
DR. M. V. CHAPMAN. Veterinary surgeon and farmer, of Gibbon, Buffalo county, is a native of the town of Worcestor, Otsego county, N. Y., and was born June 16, 1834. He comes of York state parentage, his father and mother, Jonas and Polly B. Chapman, both having been born and reared in the "Empire State." The father was killed by the explosion of a steamboat boiler while returning from New Orleans, in 1840, and the mother died in Pennsylvania in 1870. There were six children born to these, all of whom reached maturity, and five of whom are now living, the full list being-- Leanora, now wife of Huron Daniels; Orcelia, deceased; Rosabella, wife of L. Close; Andrew Jackson; Stephen Mayne and Martin Van Buren.
The subject of this notice, the youngest of the above children, was reared to the age of twenty years in Otsega and Cayuga counties, N. Y., coming West at that
BIOGRAPHICAL SOUVENIR OF BUFFALO COUNTY
date, and settling in Steuben county, Ind. There, on the 20th of April, 1855, he married Miss Della McLouth, daughter of Rev. B. McLouth, of that county, and settled down to the pursuit of agriculture. In December, 1863, he entered the Union army, enlisting in Company F, Twenty-seventh Michigan volunteer infantry. His was one of the historic regiments of the Union army and did excellent service during the two years it was in the field. It took part in seventeen strongly contested engagements, and lost, in killed and wounded, over eight hundred men out of one thousand, four hundred and eighty-five. Those actually killed in battle were two hundred and twenty-five, being over fifteen per cent. Its heaviest losses occurred at the Wilder, Spottsylvania, Bethsaida church, and at Petersburg, it being in the assault, the mine explosion and the trenches at the last named place. Our subject was not with his regiment, however, during its entire term of service. During the latter part of the war he was on detached duty. After the surrender he was assigned to a place in the department of the Freedman's Bureau, being assistant superintendent and provost-marshal for Halifax county, Va. He quit the public service in October, 1865, and returned at that date to Steuben county, Ind., where he resumed farming and his other private pursuits. Being a great fancier of horse flesh, a man of close observation and studious habits, our subject began, when only a youth, to give his attention to veterinary matters, reading such books as fell into his hands and "doctoring" his own and neighbors' horses. With the increase of years, he gathered increased knowledge and experience, and discovered in himself a growing taste for the profession of a veterinary surgeon, until at last he made up his mind to perfect himself for this as a pursuit and did so, having followed it successfully for some years. He came to Nebraska in 1878 and purchased land north of Gibbon in Buffalo county, locating there and residing in that vicinity since. He has at different times been largely interested in Buffalo county real estate, but has recently closed out most of his interests of this nature. He is also interested in the state bank of Gibbon, being a stockholder therein. He has a pleasant home one mile north of the town of Gibbon, lying on the banks of Wood river. Having had the misfortune to lose his wife in 1871, Dr. Chapman married again in August, 1872, the lady whom he selected as a companion the second time being Miss Mary Stiles, of Sauk Center, Minn. He has had born to him a number of children: three surviving of his first marriage, and six of the second. In private intercourse, Dr. Chapman is pleasant and affable, being of a quiet, unobtrusive disposition and very thoughtful for the feelings and welfare of others. He is a man of good intelligence and possesses a large fund of general information. He has never aspired to public office, being content to pursue the even tenor of his way as a humble citizen of the community where he has lived. In politics he is independent, though he formerly affiliated with the republican party and still votes that ticket in national elections, but for local men and measure he follows his judgment, believing in the survival of the fittest, regardless of party affiliations or personal predilection.
238 BIOGRAPHICAL SOUVENIR OF BUFFALO COUNTY
A. EDDY, an old settler of Gibbon township, Buffalo county, a prominent and successful farmer, and as kind-hearted a christian gentleman as lives in the State of Nebraska, is A. Eddy, the subject of this short biography. Mr. Eddy bas been a resident of the locality where he lives since May, 1874, and he has been identified with the best material, social and moral interests of that locality since settling there. He is well known throughout the county, and those who know him never mention his name but to speak his praise.
Mr. Eddy is a native of Wyoming county, N. Y, and comes of two of the early settled families of western York state. His father, John Eddy, was born in Rhode Island, December 9, 1795, and was taken to western New York by his parents when a lad, settling in Genesee county, where, December 17, 1817, he married Caroline Ward, and there subsequently lived and died. He was a farmer, a man of plain tastes, settled habits and uneventful life. He died, February 14, 1881, after a long life of great activity and usefulness. His wife, mother of our subject, was born January 6, 1799, and died October 29, 1881, after a life of pious, christian endeavor.
In the family to which Mr. Eddy belongs there were eleven children, as follows -- Alfred, born November 9, 1818, married February 21, 1848, died October 2, 1887; Lydia, born May 20, 1820, married to Lewis W. Gill October 7. 1841; Laura, born February 1, 1822, married to George Nichols February 6, 1851; Asahel, subject of this sketch, born October 2, 1823, and married January 1, 1845; Parthena, born September 27, 1825, and married September 28, 1842, to Joseph Dickarson; Edwin, born March 30, 1829, and married March 10 1850; James, born May 30, 1832, and married February 19, 1857; Caroline, born June 13, 1834, and married, May 14, 1856, to Elliott Barber; John, Jr., born October 7, 1836, married March 28, 1859, and killed May 31, 1862, at the battle of Fair Oaks, Va.; Rachel, born January 22, 1840, and married, January 6, 1861, to Abram Thompson; and Spauldlng, born January 5, 1843, and died July 25, 1843.
The subject of this sketch was reared mainly in his native county, passing his maturer years in the county of Wyoming. He was brought up on his father's farm, receiving as good common-school training as could be had in the public schools of those days, and being brought up to the habits of industry and usefulness common to farm life. January 1, 1845, he married a neighbor girl, Sarah Cook, a daughter of Samuel and Chloe (Warner) Cook, early settlers in western New York. Mrs. Eddy, born August 10, 1825, is a native of Vermont, as were also her parents, but was reared in York state. Her father and mother died in Buffalo in 1831, during the great cholera scourge. Mr. Eddy settled down to the pursuit of agriculture after marriage, and followed it successfully a short time in Wyoming county, but moved West, without any family, and settled in McHenry county, Ill. He was residing there when the trouble came on that resulted in the great Civil war, and like the patriot he was, when the call was made for volunteers to defend the Union, he shouldered his musket and went to the front enlisting August, 1862, in Company
BIOGRAPHICAL SOUVENIR OF BUFFALO COUNTY
E, Ninety-fifth Illinois volunteer infantry. He served with the army in the West and took part in the Vicksburg campaign, being present at the engagements at and around Vicksburg, continuing actively on the front for one year, when, on account of failure of health, he was compelled to take a place as prison guard, in which capacity he served till the end of the war, at Rock Island, Ill.
Returning to Illinois he resided there, engaged in farming, till the spring of 1874, when his mind once more turned towards the great West and he decided to take up his abode on the rich prairies west of the Missouri river. He landed at Gibbon, Buffalo county, May 1st, that year. He at once purchased a place, buying the historic tract of land known as "Boyd's Ranch," lying about a mile west of Gibbon on Wood river, and there located and has since resided there. Mr. Eddy has bought and sold several tracts of land since he made this purchase, owning now as much as four hundred acres in Buffalo county. He has been steadily engaged in farming and stock-raising, at which he has been successful far beyond the average old settler. His home place is one of the most desirable places in the famous Wood River valley, noted as that valley is for its many fine farms. He has his entire farm under cultivation and it yields him an abundance of Nebraska's sovereign products, corn and hay. It has an abundance of native timber, and, lying on the banks of Wood river, it is furnished with an ample sufficiency of flowing water. It is in as moral a community as there is in Buffalo County; being only one mile from the town of Gibbon it has all needful market, school, church and social advantages.
Mr. Eddy is the father of nine children, eight of whom, four boys and four girls, are living and married. These are Amanda C., born July 13, 1847, and married October 2, 1866, to A. Watenpaugh; Spaulding, born November 14, 1849, and, married August 9, 1871, to Amanda E. Norton; Henry A., born February 14, 1852, and married March 9, 1887, to Rebecca Peoples; Laura Belle, born June 17, 1854, and married July 2, 1873, to L S. Buck; Caroline E., born April 15, 1857, and married July 26, 1875, to E. B. Dunkin; George A., born August 2, 1859, and married November 21, 1881, to Martha Trout; Frank D., born December 2, 1861, married January 2, 1887, to Mary E. Hays; Mary R., born October 27, 1886, and married May 10, 1887, to Bailey E. Vesey. Mr. and Mrs. Eddy's first child, a son born February 1, 1846, died in infancy.
In politics Mr. Eddy was reared a democrat and voted the democratic ticket up to the war. He then affiliated with the republican party and for many years voted that ticket straight through on all national and state issues. Of late years, however, he has been an independent republican with decided convictions on the prohibition of the drink traffic. He possesses strong temperance views and is outspoken in his opinion on temperance issues. He is active in his efforts towards temperance reform, and now has enlisted in the great uprising of the farmers to free us from the corporate rule into which the old parties political have fallen and which legislate for the few at the expense of the many.
Mr. and Mrs. Eddy are both members of the Baptist church, having belonged to that church for many years and reared most of their family in that church.
240 BIOGRAPHICAL SOUVENIR OF BUFFALO COUNTY
C. C. HOLLOWAY. It must not be inferred from the great number of sketches of old settlers of Buffalo county, which appear in this volume, that all the positions of trust and emolument, and all the avenues of success, have been monopolized by the first settlers, and that they only have done things worthy of preservation in a memorial record like this. There are numbers of young men and new recruits, as it were, to the army of workers, who, for the length of their residence, and measured by their means and opportunities, have accomplished quite as much, since casting their lots in the county, as the majority of the old times. While yielding, therefore, to the pioneers the prominence which is due them, by reason of the greater length of their residence, and the hardships which fell to them in the earlier years, it is still in keeping with the character and purpose of this volume to give a fair share of space to the younger men and the new-comers, in order to tell something of their accomplishments here, and to preserve for those of heir name, who may in after years read this record, an account of their ancestral and personal history.
One of the men of this class deserving of mention in this connection, is C. C. Holloway, cashier of the State bank of Gibbon, Buffalo county. Mr. Holloway came to Gibbon in May, 1886. His father, Ira Holloway, had previously made investments in Gibbon, and it was to take charge of these investments that the subject of this sketch became a resident of the place. The interests here referred to, consisted mainly of stock in the State bank, of which Mr. Holloway's father was one of the founders. The State bank, one of the institutions of the town of Gibbon, was organized July 1, 1885, under the state banking laws, succeeding at that date, a private banking firm. It was organized with a capital of $50,000, the charter members being Ira Holloway, H. F. Flint, C. E. Woodruff, D. M. Fuhner, F. C Hitchcock and W. H. Morrow. Ira Holloway became president; H. F. Flint, vice-president, and F. C. Hitchcock, cashier. Several changes have since taken place in the official organization and working force of the bank. At present, C. E. Woodruff is president; C. M. Beck, vice-president, and C. C., Holloway, cashier; Mr. Holloway having the general supervision and practical management of the institution and its concerns. The bank was started with a view of meeting the demand for local banking facilities. Its business has increased with the general increase of business of the town of Gibbon and vicinity, and its affairs are now in a fairly prosperous condition. Being organized under the state banking law, it is founded on a sufficiently solid basis to insure its permanent existence, and being backed by men of recognized means and ability, its affairs are managed in accordance with the best business principles and methods. It has, for the past year or two, had to divide business with the First National Bank of Gibbon, which has been started since the State bank was organized, but it has nevertheless held its own, and has gone steadily forward in its career of prosperity.
Mr. Holloway is a banker somewhat by accident. He was not trained to the business, but took it up on locating in Gibbon. He was a teacher by profession prior to coming to Nebraska, having received a thorough education in his youth, graduat-
BIOGRAPHICAL SOUVENIR OF BUFFALO COUNTY
ing from the Normal School of Milan, Erie county, Ohio, and for a number of years being actively and successfully engaged in school room work. In many respects he is admirably qualified for the profession of teaching., being a good scholar, the first requisite. He has received the necessary training to enable him to impart his knowledge in a clear and concise way, is a hard worker, possesses executive ability above the average, and is painstaking and systemic in his methods. And he is, withal, an ardent advocate of thorough training for the young and warm sympathizer with youth in its struggles for the rudiments of knowledge. These qualities have also helped to make him a success in his present business and would go far towards helping him on to success in any business he might choose. They are not qualities necessarily peculiar to him, but are qualities held in common by the great mass of successful business men. In a general way they are qualities characteristic of the average American. It is the possession of these qualities that enables the general man of affairs to turn his hand with equal facility from one business to another and to prosecute all with a fair degree of success. Besides the excellent school advantages enjoyed by Mr. Holloway in his youth, he gained a good insight into the affairs of the world through his father, who was a highly successful business man. The elder Holloway was a native of New York state, but moved to Huron county, Ohio, when a lad, where he settled, married and subsequently lived until 1883, when he removed to Lenawee county, Mich., where he resided until his death, September 3, 1887, at the advanced age of seven -five years. He was variously engaged during his earlier years, but retired in ]ate life. He was distinguished for his industry and conscientious devotion to his own personal matters, and much of the success that crowned his life was due to the possession of these admirable qualities. He died about two years ago, somewhat advanced in age, but retaining up to the close of his life the full possession of all his faculties and exhibiting the same marked interest in his business matters and the success and welfare of his family that distinguished him in the more active years of his career.
Mr. Holloway's mother born the maiden name of Achsa Broughton. She is stil living. She was born in Lorain county, Ohio, of which her parents were among the first settlers.
Mr. Holloway himself is next to the youngest of a family of ten children, all of whom reached maturity and most of whom are now living. He was born in the town of Peru, Huron county, Ohio, and there raised. He lived there and in adjoining counties till coming to Nebraska four years ago, and, as already stated, was engaged in teaching. He was married in Lucas county, in September, 1880, the lady of his choice being Miss Ruth Smith, of that county.
If more of Mr. Holloway need be said, what he is and what he has done may be summarized in the statement that he is an honest, industrious, capable man of business; an enterprising, intelligent, useful citizen and a pleasant, genial gentleman -- a valuable acquisition to the community where he has cast his fortune, and one whom his follow-citizens rightly appreciate and willingly indorse what is here said of him.
PREVIOUS | NEXT
BACK to INDEX
Scans of original pages provided by Vicky Stephens
© Mona J Houser 1998, 1999, 2000 for NEGenWeb Project