was ordered to Fort Reno where it was placed on garrison duty, and he remained there till the summer of 1866, when he was transferred to Fort Kearney, Nebr. The term of his enlistment expiring that year he decided to settle in the West, and in September, 1866, he located on what is the present site of the town of Shelton, Buffalo county. The Union Pacific railroad had just been completed and trains were running through the county, but there were as yet no permanent settlements in the county beyond a few ranches scattered along Wood river, and possibly one or two in the vicinity of Elm creek. Prior to that, however, there had been a stage stand where Shelton now is and a sort of supply point to accommodate the overland travel to Utah and the Pacific coast. This was started in 1858 under the direction of Brigham Young, and it was designed especially to facilitate the travel of the Mormons in their journeyings to the country they were then fast peopling beyond the Rocky mountains. Joseph E. Johnston was the chief spirit in establishing this "ranch," as it was called. The place was known as Wood River Center, but with the exception of the little store in which were kept the general stock of supplies the place never amounted to anything more than a camping ground. Johnston published a paper there, which he called the Huntsman's Echo, and which it is said was instrumental in attracting the attention of travelers to that locality. But very few, however, who came remained. Like him they moved on with the great stream of restless fortune. seekers towards the setting sun - so that at the date Mr. Walsh settled there, the country was practically uninhabited. Good homesteads could be had anywhere. Mr. Walsh bought out the right of a man named Thomas Tague, who had squatted on the northwest quarter of section 1, township 9, range 13 west, and on this he filed a soldier's homestead claim. H e located and began his improvements, moving onto his homestead his family, which then consisted of a wife and five children. Others located about the same time, and the country gradually began to settle up. The county was then known as Buffalo county, but was unorganized, being attached to Hall county for judicial and revenue purposes. Matters moved on smoothly under this arrangement till 1870, when, being desirous of securing school facilities for his and his neighbors' children, Mr. Walsh set about to see what could be done in the way of organizing a school district. He found, on investigation, that it would he about as easy to organize a county as a school district, and knowing that this would soon follow, on account of the rapid increase in population, he decided to effect a county organization. Accordingly, in January, 1870, he, in connection with Sergeant Michael Coady, then of Fort Kearney, and Martin Slattery, sent a petition to Governor David Butler, asking for an organization of Buffalo county. The petition was granted, and in February following Governor Butler issued a proclamation, declaring the county organized, and fixing the temporary county seat at Wood River Center. He appointed Patrick Walsh probate judge, Henry Dugdale treasurer, Martin Slattery clerk, and John Oliver sheriff. The probate judge was vested by law with authority to appoint county commissioners, and he appointed Ed Oliver, of


Shelton; Thomas K. Wood, of Gibbon, and Charles Davis, of Elm Creek.
    Mr. Slattery not being able to act as clerk, appointed Mr. Walsh as his deputy, and turned over the affairs of his office to him. These officers served till the first regular election in October, 1870, when Patrick Walsh was elected probate judge, Henry Dugdale treasurer, Mr. McNamara clerk, John Oliver sheriff, and Thomas K. Wood, William Booth and Charles Davis commissioners.
    McNamara, who was elected clerk, failed to qualify, and Sergeant Michael Coady, of Fort Kearney, although a non-resident, was appointed in his place, and he appointed Mr. Walsh as his deputy.
    The treasurer-elect failed to qualify and the commissioners appointed Mr. Walsh to collect the taxes and perform the other duties of the treasurer's office. Mr. Walsh resigned his position as deputy clerk inasmuch as he could not well hold this office in connection with the treasurship, and gave his time and attention to the office of probate judge and treasurer. During the time that he acted as deputy clerk, for Slattery and Coady, he was by virtue of his office as clerk superintendent of public instruction, and discharged the duties of this office in connection with his other duties. The business of the county was as done successively at Wood River Center, Kearney Station (now Buda), and Gibbon before the permanent county seat was located at Kearney. Mr. Walsh served out his term of office in the positions above mentioned, faithfully accounted for every dollar of public money that came into his bands, and turned over the several records, bonds, etc., of which he was custodian to his successors, going out with clean hands and carrying with him the good will of all of his fellow-citizens for whom he had held trust. The next position which he held was that of county commissioner. He was elected to this position by the popular vote of the county in the fall of 1874. Politics had then begun to play some part in the elections, and he was chosen on the democratic ticket. The chief measure of local interest on which the election turned was the removal of the county seat, which for two years prior to that time had been at Gibbon. In order to hold it there permanently and provide for what seemed to be the coming importance of Kearney, a movement was set on foot to divide the county, running the west line near the present western limits of the city of Kearney, so as to throw Gibbon as near the geographical center as possible. Mr. Walsh went on record against this movement, although the removal of the county seat from Gibbon to Kearney meant an inconvenience to him and his people, and a prospective depreciation of real estate values, in which they were naturally much interested. But he was willing to forego all the advantages that the proximity of the county seat might bring rather than suffer a division of the county and the added cost of two county organizations.
    In this he was actuated by the same motives that characterized his entire public life. He labored always in the interest of economy, discouraging the people in putting inflated values on their property, and advising them to keep out of debt. His vote among the records will be found in keeping with his advice in this respect.


But while Mr. Walsh labored faithfully in behalf of the county at large, he was none the less active in the interest of his own locality. In 1874, when the population became large enough and the public convenience demanded it, he secured a postoffice with all necessary mail facilities for Word river Center, he himself being the first postmaster, holding the office till 1879. He now relates the fact with characteristic humor that he served the government faithfully the first year for $12 50, with a gradual rise each succeeding year, but that when the office got to be worth a little something, he was conveniently set aside for another whose political views better suited the administration than did his. But this was no embarrassment to him. He served the government as a matter of convenience to his people, and not for the money there was in the office. And here it may be as well to correct a mistake which has gone into print respecting the way the name of Wood River Center came to be changed to that of Shelton. The statement has been made that Mr. Walsh took it into his head to change the name of the postoffice, did so, and then wrote the postmaster general to take notice and govern himself accordingly. Mr. Walsh has all the Irish wit that it would take to prompt such an action, but at the same time he has the good sense to see the impropriety of it, and, as a matter of fact, he never did it. He was greatly annoyed in handling the mails, as was also the traveling and shipping public, on account of the frequent confusion of the names of Wood River Center, Buffalo county, with Wood River, Hall county, and in conversation one day with S. H. H. Clark, superintendent of the Union Pacific rail-road, he mentioned this trouble, and suggested the advisability of a change of name. Mr. Clark agreed with him, and, subsequently, had the name of the railway station changed to that of Shelton in honor of the cashier of the road, Nathan Shelton. When this was done, Mr. Walsh wrote to the postoffice department at Washington, advising them of this change and suggesting that the name of the post office be changed also, which was done, and the place has since borne the name of Shelton.
    In 1876 the town of Shelton first properly came into existence. It was laid off by Mr. Walsh, he surveying and platting for that purpose forty acres of his original homestead. The lots were sold off as rapidly as demanded for building purposes, and the town started on its career of prosperity. It has never had a boom, but has always enjoyed a good steady growth, and is now in point of size and commercial importance the second town in the county, having a population of about a thousand. The first building of any consequence put up in the town was the "Cottage House," erected by Delbert Livingston, and is still standing and is occupied as a hotel. The town now boasts a number of handsome brick business blocks, and some as neat and tasty residences as can be found in towns having twice the population that Shelton has. In the welfare of the town, in its government enterprises and interests Mr. Walsh has always taken an active part, doing more than his share of the work, and bearing more than his part of the expense of every undertaking set on foot for the benefit of his town and vicinity. He assisted


in the organization of the first town government, and he has served two terms in the town council, and later he served two terms as clerk of the town board. To his town Mr. Walsh has given the same advice he gave in earlier years to the county - that is, to avoid booms and keep out of debt - to grow and develop, get rich, if possible, in actual wealth, but to keep down valuations. Mr. Welsh owns considerable real estate in the vicinity of Shelton, retaining all of his original homestead except about twenty-five acres covered by the town site. He has, therefore, been particularly interested in public enterprises of a general nature and has been foremost in encouraging anything of this nature. Before the town was laid out, he advertised that he would grant the right of flowage on certain conditions as to toll and damage done by back water to any responsible parties who would erect a mill on Wood river on his place, and this offer was accepted by Jason R. and Ira P. George, with the result of a good mill which has been worth thousands of dollars to the people of that community.
    In short, as stated at the outset of this article, on every page of the early records of Buffalo county, and at every stage, especially in the development of his own locality, the searcher after historical information finds the name and evidences of the wisdom, activity and liberality of Patrick Walsh, and it is but simple justice to him to say that his long labors have met with the success deserved, and have elicited from his fellow-citizens the gratitude which is his due. He reckons his friends by the hundreds in and out of the county, and many of them are men of the highest official and social positions.
    Mr. Welsh has been as happy in his domestic relations as he has been fortunate in business and successful in his public career. He was married while a resident of Illinois, prior to his enlisting in the army - the lady whom he selected to share his life's fortunes being Miss Attie Welch, a native of Ireland. This union has been blessed with a family of nine children, as follows - James P., Mary, John T., Maggie, Patrick J., Anna A., Ella E., William E. and Rose. Most of them are now grown, some of them are married, settled off in life, and are now doing for themselves. The limits set to this sketch will not permit us making further mention of them. One, however, by reason of the fact that he bears his father's name and will thus perpetuate in his name the memory of Buffalo county's oldest and most honored citizen, and by reason of the further fact that he is the first child born in the town of Shelton, and has thereby become a subject of historic importance in the territory covered by this volume, may be appropriately referred to at a little length to round out this article. That one is Patrick J., now the efficient telegraph operator at the Union Pacific Depot at Kearney. He was born at the old homestead on the banks of Wood river, in what is now the corporate limits of Shelton, on August 8, 1867. He was reared in his native place and received a good common and high school education in the Shelton schools. Learning telegraphy while still in school, studying at night, on Saturdays, and at odd times, he began work for the Union Pacific as assistant agent and operator at Shelton in 1886, and has been in their employ since, serving them as bill clerk, night and day operator,


on relief and regular service and in several localities. January, 1889, he was given the position of day operator at Kearney, which he has since occupied, and the duties of which be discharges with credit to himself and satisfaction to the company. "Pat," as he is best known and familiarly called, is a worthy son of a worthy sire, and his career, so far as he has gone, has been distinguished by the same good sense, patient industry and sterling integrity, tempered with the same good will, genial disposition and self-sacrificing nature that has characterized his father in all his relations - political, business and social.

Photo of W. W. Patterson

WILLIAM WALLACE PATTERSON was born at Warsaw, Wyoming county, N. Y., on the eleventh day of February 1831. He is the son of the late Willlam Patterson of Warsaw (who died in 1838 while member of congress from the old Genesee district) and Lucinda Greeg, both natives of New Hampshire. Mr. Patterson was seven years old when his father died -- Mrs. Patterson surviving her husband but two weeks - thus leaving him an orphan in early life. He went to reside with his uncle, Judge Peter Patterson, in Perry, Wyoming county, where he remained for five years attending the common school. He then entered the Genesee Wesleyan seminary at Lima, N.Y. Continuing there about two years, he was invited to become a member of the family of his guardian and uncle, ex-Gov. Geo. W. Patterson, of Westfield, N. Y. He there attended the academy until he was fifteen years old, when he entered the academy at Wyoming, N. Y., where he remained until prepared to enter college. Concluding not to enter college, he was employed by his cousin, Hon. Augustus Frank, of Warsaw, N. Y., in his dry goods store, where he remained for several years. While in the employ of Mr. Frank, the Sixty-first regiment, New York State troops, was organized. Mr. Patterson received the appointment of quarter-master, was afterward promoted to major, and by the resignation of the colonel and lieutenant colonel became commander in 1855. Having a natural taste for military affairs, he made himself proficient in the different arms of the service, being for nearly five years under the instruction of Major Wright, afterward General Wright, who commanded the 6th corps during the war. He was thus prepared when the war of the rebellion commenced for effective service in the army.
    Mr. Patterson moved to Minnesota in the spring of 1856, locating at Minneapolis, then a small village. Having been instructed in practical engineering by Major Wright, he at once saw the grand possibilities of the waterpower at that point for manufacturing purposes. He so expressed himself to the people of that city, a large proportion of whom considered him wild and visionary. He engaged in the real estate business, but the financial crisis of 1857 so oppressed all manner of business that very little could be done in that line until after the war. When the war of the rebellion commenced Mr. Patterson assisted in raising the Second Minnesota regiment, but promises made to him not being fulfilled, he enlisted in the Twelfth U. S. infantry, under Capt. H. R.


Putnam, although being offered a captaincy in the regular army by Hon. Wm. H. Seward, the old friend of his boyhood. He joined his regiment at Ft. Hamilton New York harbor, when it was being organized. His knowledge of military matters was soon ascertained, when he was appointed the first and ranking sergeant of the regiment, and was soon promoted to second lieutenant of Captain Putnam's company.
    The battle of Gettysburg, where he was wounded by a piece of shell in the knee and by a saber through the arm, made him a first lieutenant. General R.B. Ayres who commanded the division placed him upon his staff with the rank of captain. Gen. Sykes soon after appointed him commander of all the pioneers of the Fifth corps, with brevet rank of lieutenant-colonel. He held this command until Grant's campaign in the Wilderness commenced, when on the first day's light he was so severely injured in the ankle, that he was incapacitated for further military service. He was sent in an ambulance to Brandy station and from there by rail to Washington, when, after a confinement for six weeks, he resigned his command in the regular army and returned to his home in Minneapolis, Minn. For nearly a year he was too unwell for active business, but the next spring he entered the real estate firm of McFarlam, Burd & Co., as a junior partner. He remained there two years, when, his health failing, he withdrew from the firm and retired to his farm in Wright county. The next fall he was nominated for member of the legislature by the republicans of the Fifth district, and the democratic candidate withdrawing from the canvass, and advising the democrats to vote for Mr. Patterson, he was elected. He attended the legislative session of 1868 and 1869, when he returned to Minneapolis and commenced the sale of real estate once more. He compiled and issued thirty thousand circulars, which were sent all over the Union, advertising the great advantages of Minneapolis as a manufacturing city. These circulars made Minneapolis known. People began coming from the East, and in two years' time Minneapolis began crowding St. Paul for supremacy. Then the rivalry between these two young giants commenced and the future of both was secured. The ensuing fall, Mr. Patterson's health became so impaired by overwork, and the result of injuries received in the army, that his physician advised him to seek a milder climate. He moved to Corning, Iowa, and that winter, in the interest of the C. B. & Q. railway, he started the city of Creston, a division station upon that road, selling the lots, not only in Creston but in several other towns. The next year he came to Nebraska in the interest of the same company, laid out Lowell a few miles east of Fort Kearney, and also selecting the site for the present city of Kearney. Observing the vast amount of water running in the Platte river, he ran the levels up the river and determined the fact that here could be built up another Minneapolis. This was the beginning of the great canal and water-power that has since made Kearney so famous as a manufacturing point.
    Mr. Patterson married, August 29, 1879, Miss Pattie M. Giddings, of Lincoln, Nebr. They have seven children, four girls and three sons. The girls are Wenona, Lois L., Houri and Mary A. The sons are Wm. A. and Alfred W. twins, and


McClellan Custer, the last being named for the Colonel's two favorite generals. One son, Burd, died in infancy. Mr. Patterson has recently purchased, in connection with Mr. Britton of the Kearney Enterprise, six thousand acres of land in the famous Vermaho Park, in the Maxwell land grant in northern New Mexico, where he proposes to lay out and build up another city, provided his life and health are spared for a few years. He expects to make the city of Vermaho the future home of himself and family.

J. F. DANIELS, known to the citizens of Kearney, where e he resides and does business, as "Daniels, the Jeweler," is an Iowan by birth, a native of Muscatine, where he was not only born but reared and where he also learned the business, the name of which has almost become part of his own. His parents were for many years residents of Iowa, moving to Muscatine from St. Louis, Mo., some time early in the "fifties." The father, Julius Daniels, was a native of London, England, came to America about 1835 when a young man, and after drifting about through a number of the eastern states settled in St. Louis, where he met and married Laura J. Mahan, a native of that place and who afterwards bore him a wifely companionship till his death, which occurred in 1884 while in the sixty-seventh year of his age. The mother is still living. Of the children of this union the subject of this notice is the fourth in point of age, and the only representative of the family in this state. The oldest brother, James, is a journeyman printer, and, like the majority of his craft, a citizen of the world; George H is a jeweler, of Creston, Iowa; Lucy, the only daughter, remains with her mother at Creston, Iowa; Emanuel is a clerk at Creston, Iowa, and Randolph is a stenographer in the employ of the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad Company, at Sedalia, Missouri.
    The subject of this brief notice resided in his native place till after he had mastered his trade, and then, in 1878, went to Creston, Iowa, where he was employed by his brother George H. in the jewelry business and remained there for two years. In 1880 he struck for the further West, coming to Kearney. He was then single and working as a journeyman. He sought employment with J D Hawthorne and remained with him about a year and a half. Returning to Iowa, he settled at Council Bluffs and formed a partnership with M. J. Michaels and engaged in business in that place for another year and a half as Michaels & Daniels. Going again to Creston, he remained there two years, marrying in the meantime, and finally in 1886 came back to Kearney, engaged in business and has since remained here. The exact date of Mr. Daniel's marriage was October 16, 1884 and the lady whom he selected as a companion was Miss Jessie F. Battey, a daughter of S.W. Battey, then of Creston, Iowa, now of Hoxie, Kans.
    Kearney is a distinctively young man's town. The pluck, energy and superb business ability which have rendered it famous throughout the country as the great Midway City have been furnished mainly by the young men who have


sought homes and fortune within its limits. Of these no one is more worthy of mention than J. F. Daniels. A thoroughly competent workman, a man of untiring industry, with an abundance of practical business sagacity, liberal in spirit and possessing that absolute confidence in the destiny of "the future Great" which all citizens of the Midway City hold in common, he has labored long and earnestly, late and early, freely and effectually in behalf of the home of his adoption, seeking its best interest by rationally attending to his own.

TONY CORNELIUS. The subject of this sketch is known everywhere as "'Tony' Cornelius, the champion hose-coupler of the world."  He is a son of Casper Cornelius, who was born in Westphalia, Prussia, November 2, 1822, immigrating to America in 1847, and settling in Platteville, Grant county, Wis. He then came to Kearney, this state, in 1878, and died here August 26, 1884. He was a miner in Germany and for many years a prominent and successful business man of Kearney - an industrious, useful citizen, a zealous member of the Catholic church, and a liberal contributor to charity. In politics he was a democrat and took an active part in the workings of his party.
    The subject of this biographical notice was born in Platteville, Grant county, Wis., January 2, 1866. He received a good common school education and began life for himself at the age of fifteen. He has followed various callings. At present he is engaged in the liquor business in Kearney, Nebr.
    October 26, 1884, he married Miss Ida Reynolds. One child has been born to this union, a daughter, Gladys.
    Mr. Cornelius is known everywhere throughout the country as the champion hose-coupler of the world. He has taken several prizes, never having been beaten at a tournament. He is a public-spirited citizen, and gives the city of his adoption not only the benefit of his best efforts as a fireman, but yields to it a fair share of the many honors he wins abroad in his contests.

JACOB MILLER is a representative farmer of Platte township, Buffalo county. He settled on his present homestead in March, 1878, his claim being part of the Fort Kearney military reservation, which was thrown open to settlement about that date. Mr. Miller came to Nebraska from Preston county, W. Va., but is a native of New York City. He is of French extraction, his parents both being natives of the town of Strausburg. His father, George Miller, came to America after his marriage and settled first in New York City and afterwards in Preston county, W. Va. He died in the latter place in 1852 in his fortieth year. He was an engineer, an industrious, hard working man, of studious habits and very strong domestic tastes. Mr. Miller's mother, whose maiden name was Margaret Long, survived her husband many years, dying also in Preston county, W. Va, in August, 1872, aged seventy-two. These


were the parents of three children, all of whom reached maturity and are now living. The eldest of these, Margaret, now wife of John Nine, and the youngest, George, both live in Preston county, W. Va. The second is the subject of this sketch, who was born in New York, March 9, 1839, and was quite a lad when his parents moved to West Virginia. He was apprenticed to the shoemaker's trade, learned it, and followed it till the war came on. He enlisted in the Union army in May, 1861, entering Company D, Sixth West Virginia cavalry, which regiment first formed the Third West Virginia infantry and was afterwards mounted. His company was commanded by Capt. A. J. Squires and was mustered into service at Newburg, Va., June 28, 1861. His regiment served with the Army of the Potomac and took part in the following engagements: Shaw's ridge, battle of McDowell, Franklin, Cross Keys, Cedar mountain, Rappahannock station, Waterloo Bridge, Sulphur Springs, second Bull Run, Warm Springs, Rocky gap, Mill Point, Droop mountains and other smaller ones. He was captured near New Creek. W. Va, in September, 1863, and was released on parole in February, 1864. During part of this time he was held at "Libby." When the war was over he continued in the regular service for more than a year, being on the frontier in the Indian service, ranging the plains and Rocky mountains, mostly along the stage lines. He was mustered out May 22, 1866, at Ft. Leavenworth, and returned to his old home in West Virginia, where he lived till coming to Nebraska in 1878.
    Mr. Miller has been twice married. He married first in December, 1868, his wife being Miss Mary Shaw, a daughter of Thomas A. Shaw, of Preston county, W. Va. To this union were born three children -William W., Marshall McCurdy and Thomas Clark, the last now deceased. Mr. Miller married the second time December 24, 1876 - the lady on whom his choice fell being Miss Helen Louisa Parsons, a daughter of James William and Catherine Parsons of Tucker county, W. Va. Mrs. Miller is a native of Tucker county, as were also her parents. Her father is still living there; her mother died in 1856, aged forty eight. Mrs. Miller is one of a family of eight children who reached maturity, namely - Jane Rebecca, Samson Ellion, Hannah, Agnes, Ann Melissa, Helen Louisa (Mrs. Miller), Diana Elizabeth and Solomon John.
    Being a public spirited citizen as well as a man of good business qualifications, Mr. Miller has naturally been called upon to fill some offices in connection with the administration of the public affairs of his township. He has been moderator of his school district, road supervisor, and is now serving as township supervisor. In politics he is a republican. He cast his first presidential vote for the Bell-Everett ticket, but soon afterwards, affiliating with the republican party, he has voted that ticket since. Mr. Miller is an intelligent, liberal-minded, progressive citizen, and well esteemed by his neighbors.

MAURICE O. KESLER (deceased). One of the first men to take a homestead on the Fort Kearney reservation after it was thrown open to settlement was Maurice


O. Kesler, who settled in 1879 on Elm Island, in what is now Platte township, Buffalo county. Buying a relinquishment at that date on the northeast quarter of section 3, township 8, range 13 west, on which he filed a soldier's homestead claim, made his improvement, and there lived till his death. Mr. Kesler was a Pennsylvanian by birth, and came direct from his native state to Nebraska. He was born in Union county, and came of old Pennsylvania stock, originally of German extraction. His father, William Kesler, who was a tanner, and his mother, Mary Swartz, lived and died in their native state, and were plain, industrious, useful citizens.
    Maurice O. Kesler was the youngest of a family of five children, all of whom reached maturity and all of whom except himself, are living. These are - Ellen J., now widow of Hugh McCullough, of Wilkesbarre; Lewis, of Warren, Jo Daviess county, Ill., Joseph, of New Berlin, Union county, Pa.; Agnes M, wife of William Loughridge, of Cass county, Nebr., and Maurice O., the subject of this notice.
    Maurice O. Kesler was born in New Berlin, Union county, Pa., December 18, l840, was reared in his native place and began the active duties of life as a boatman on the Pennsylvania canal. He was so engaged in 1862, when he entered the Union army, enlisting on July 31 of that year in Company F, One Hundred and Fourteenth Pennsylvania infantry, being a member of the "Collis Zouaves." He served with the Army of the Potomac and was in all the principal engagements in Virginia, Pennsylvania and Maryland, in which that army participated. Most of the time he was under "fighting Joe Hooker," and his regiment bore its full share in winning for its general that honorable soubriquet. At Chancellorsville, Mr. Kesler was wounded by a shot in the heel, from which he was disabled from service for some time. He was discharged .May 29, 1865, at Arlington. Va.
    Returning to his native place be resumed his position as a boatman on the canal and continued at this till 1878, when he moved West and settled first in Hall county, and afterwards in Buffalo county, this state. He was engaged in the active pursuit of agriculture from that time on till his death, being also prominently identified with the best interests of his township and vicinity. He was assessor of Platte township for five years, treasurer three years, and on the school board of his district for several years, and was a public-spirited, progressive citizen and discharged his duties as an official, citizen and neighbor with zeal and fidelity. He died March 27, 1889, surrounded by his family and friends - a genuine loss to his community and a sad bereavement to his family. In personal appearance Mr. Kesler was prepossessing, being nearly five feet and a half in height, of dark complexion, having keen blank eyes and a large, well developed head, which was covered with a profusion of jet black hair, inclined to curl, and an open, frank face, square jaw and thin lips, indicative of energy, firmness and strong individuality of character. He was a man of great kindness of heart and warmly attached to his family, lived chiefly for them, and at his death left them well provided for. The surviving members of this family are a widow and six children, of whom some


Scans of original pages provided by Vicky Stephens
© Mona J Houser 1998, 1999, 2000 for NEGenWeb Project