A. K. HAYDEN is the fifth son of Elijah and Hulda (Scott) Hayden; the former, a native of Allegheny county, Pa., who, when eighteen, years of age, left the paternal roof to seek his fortune in distant lands. He traveled through most of the states north of the Mason and Dixon line, and for some time, also, was engaged in the lead mines of Illinois, and the gold mines of California, and was at different times engaged in farming, owning at one time two thousand acres of land in Cass and Adams counties, Iowa. Mr. Hayden was a great reader, and upon all the current topics of the times was a very well informed man. In polities he was at first a republican, but became a democrat before the war. He believed the war to be unnecessary and strongly advocated peace. He joined the Mormon church before his marriage.
    A murder was committed in Lee county, Iowa, and suspicion rested upon the Hodge brothers who were members of the Mormon church. Mr. Hayden was earnestly besought to swear that they did not enter the city that night, but, although that was the link of evidence which would release them he would not perjure himself in defense of the criminals or the church. Being convinced of the corruption which prevailed the Mormon church, of which he was a member, he separated himself from it. While in Nauvoo, he married Miss Hulda A. Scott, also a member of the Mormon church, but she left the church with her husband, and has since united with the Christian church. She was born in 1818 in Genesee county, N. Y. When at the age of fourteen she moved to Ohio, thence to Eel River Bottoms, Ind., and from there to Nauvoo, Ill. Mr. and Mrs. Hayden's marriage was blessed by seven children, viz.--Elijah, Byron, Leonard, Gila (deceased), Adrian K, Japhan and Huldah. Mr. Hayden, after an absence of fifty years from Allegheny county, Pa., returned to visit his hold home in 1883 and there died.
    A. K. Hayden, the subject of this memoir, is a native of Adams county, Iowa, and was born in 1855. In 1858 he moved to Cass county, and there engaged in farming and teaching. He came to Nebraska in 1883, continuing to teach and farm. Mr. Hayden inherited the inclination to read and inform himself on the topics of the day, and as a result is quite conversant on all subjects of public interest. He was a greenbacker until the dissolution of that party and has since been independent in politics. He was married in 1886, to Miss Mary Broat, a native of New York, who in 1879, came with her parents to Buffalo county, Nebraska. To them one child has been born--Amelia Mabel. Both Mr. and Mrs. Hayden have identified with the Christian church for several years.

WILLIAM E. KNOX. If Mr. Knox were stripped of all other virtues, his geniality alone is sufficient to cause him to be esteemed, but with it he can truly be said to be honest, frugal and industrious. He is a son of Ambrose and Mary (Reed) Knox, natives of Kentucky. The former was a generous-hearted man, much esteemed by those who knew him. In politics he was a republican, and for two years he served as assessor. He was married to a Miss Reed, who was a strict


member of the Christian church and she exemplified her procession by a christian life. Their family consisted of six girls and three boys, viz.--Amilda (deceased); Caroline (deceased); John, William E., Elizabeth, Taylor, Mary, Sarah, Georgean (deceased). The father and mother both departed this life in the same year, 1866.
    William E. Knox, the subject of this sketch, was born in Bath county, Ky., in 1834. In 1868, he moved to Montgomery county, Ind., there engaging in farming till 1879, when he came to Nebraska and settled on a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres in section 12, township 9, range 17. In 1862, Mr. Knox enlisted in the Fourteenth Kentucky cavalry at Mount Sterling. He was twice taken prisoner by Morgan, and once, when attempting to escape, on his road home he passed a church when the congregation was dispersing; two of them were his neighbor's boys, who were in the Confederate service; they at once captured him and he was marched all day in the rain, and was taken with the measles; as a result, his eyesight is very much impaired, which fact entitles him to a pension. Mr. Knox married, in 1867, Miss Emily Trimble, a native of Montgomery county, Ky. She is the daughter of D. F. and Narcissus (Fox) Trimble, both natives of Kentucky, and zealous members of the Christian church. Mr. Trimble was one of the home guards and in 1866 was killed by bushwhackers. To Mr. and Mrs. Knox have been born five children, viz.--Frank, Oscar, Homer, May and Georgie. Mr. Knox is a republican, but, favors a reduction of the tariff. Mr. and Mrs. Knox are quiet but faithful members of the Christian church.

JOHN B. NEAL, an enterprising farmer of Odessa township, Buffalo county, is the son of Henry and Elizabeth (Jerome) Neal, natives of Ohio, who were married in Richland county, Ohio, in 1830 and remained there till 1843, then moved to Waukegan, Lake county, Ill., and there remained till Mr. Neal's death. Politically Mr. Neal was a republican. Their union was blessed with twelve children, viz. --Caroline (deceased), Sarah Jane (deceased), Martin, Henry, Sylvester, John B., Charles J, Mary Elizabeth; Susan E., David Leroy, Theodore and Augustus.
    John B. Neal, the subject of this notice was born in Richland county, Ohio, in 1841. With his parents he went to Waukegan, Ill. and in 1863 enlisted in Company C, light artillery, Second Illinois regiment, and was in two engagements: Fort Donelson and what was called the Pine Bluff engagement. Mr. Neal, in company with an Irishman, Mr. Bartlet, was once surrounded by a band of sixty guerrillas, and they succeeded in killing eighteen of the latter and making their escape without receiving a wound. He was mustered out of service on the 5th of August, 1865 at Springfield, Ill. He then returned to his home in Waukegan, Ill., and there remained till he came to Nebraska in 1875, settling on section 32, township 9, range 17, Odessa township, Buffalo county. Mr. Neal has been a supporter of the republican platform but is now a strong alliance man. He has been justice of the peace of Odessa. He was married in 1862 to Miss Louise Cloes, a native of Lake Bluff, Ill., Rev. Little, of Waukegan, officiating. To Mr. and Mrs. Neal have been born nine children, viz. --Laura (deceased), Mintie,


Augusta, Benjamin Martin, Clifton Parkes, Henry Wilson, Kittie Elizabeth (deceased), Sadie Lulu, Evan John and Royal Elmer. If Mr. and Mrs. Neal possess one virtue in excess of others, it is hospitality; all, without distinction of persons, receive a cordial welcome. They were connected for some time with the Presbyterian church of Kearney, but for a number of years have been identified with the Seventh Day Adventists and are consistent adherents to that faith.

JEROME HATTEN. Men who begin life with no capital but hands and brains, and myriads to compete with in the struggle for a competency, and come out victorious, winning by honesty, frugality and industry, truly deserve to have perpetuated their life's record. Such a man is the subject of this biographical notice, who is the son of Robert and Rachel (Brown) Hatten. The former was a native of Pennsylvania, born in Easton in 1806, and was reared to farming. Politically, he was a democrat. He was an earnest and faithful worker in the Methodist Episcopal church for years, but his influence and work were by no means confined to the church; he was always ready to help the poor or do good in any way when opportunities presented themselves. He was married Miss Rachel Brown, who was born in Pennsylvania in 1808. She, like her husband, was a zealous worker in the Methodist Episcopal church, proving the sincerity of her profession in her daily walk and conversation. Mr. Hatten departed this life in 1873, followed by his wife in 1886. To them were born seven children, viz.--Theodore, John (deceased), Sarah Jane (deceased), Alfred, Morris, Mary and Jerome.
    Jerome, the subject of this sketch, was born in Wilkesbarre, Pa., in 1847. He remained at home till going to the war, enlisting in Company A, Eighty-eighth Pennsylvania volunteers, in 1864. He was in several skirmishes; was in the battle of Five Forks, and followed Lee till the time of his surrender; he then marched to Washington and was in the grand review. He was mustered out the tenth of June, 1865. He then located in Pennsylvania, and there remained till 1878, when he came to Nebraska, settling on section 2, township 9, range 17 west, in Odessa township, Buffalo county. Mr. Hatten first found employment, after coming to the state, with Mr. B. L. Cunningham, for whom he worked by the month for one year; he then took the homestead and timber claim which he now owns, the most of which is under cultivation and well improved. Mr. Hatten is not a man whose energies are slackened by unfavorable conditions of times, but, believing that honest labor judiciously directed will be rewarded, has practiced economy and given close attention to the details of his business, so that each year finds a balance in his favor. He is a republican in politics. Mr. Hatten has been an unpretentious but consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal church for years. In 1871, he was married to Miss Mary Ellen Harvey, born in Fairmont township, Luzerne county, Pa. She is the daughter of Lewis and Diana (Boston) Harvey, both natives of Pennsylvania, and the former a supporter of the republican ticket. Lewis Harvey was born July 12, 1816, and


Diana (Boston) Harvey July 8, 1821. They were married August 1 1840, and had born to them the following children --Almira P., Janaury 28, 1842; Mary E., January 9,1843; Harriet A., December 18, 1850. Lewis Harvey died September 14, 1881, but Diana Harvey still survives.
    Mr. and Mrs. Harvey were co-workers in the Methodist Episcopal church, with which church they were identified for years. Mrs. Hatten is also a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. To Mr. and Mrs. Hatten have been born seven children, viz.--Nellie, Maud, Eckford, Ralph, Boyd, Ida and Ora.

CONRAD B. BROWN, a highly respected farmer of Odessa township, Buffalo county, Nebr., is a native of Morgan county, Ind., born in 1857. He is the son of Jefferson Hezekiah and Lucy (Wellman) Brown, natives of Kentucky. The former, in early life, settled in Morgan county, Ind., and there followed farming. In 1862 he enlisted in the One Hundred Fifty-first Indiana volunteers, was taken to the hospital at Nashville, Tenn., and there died. Mr. Brown was connected with the Christian church for years and although quiet, he was an earnest christian man. He was married to Miss Lucy Wellman 1850. She also was a member of the Christian church. To them were born two children, viz.--Conard (sic) B, and Ella (Mrs. (Greeson) now living in Morgan county, Ind. Conard B. Brown, the subject of this biographical notice, migrated from Indiana in 1883, settling on section 4, township 8, range 17, in Odessa township, Buffalo county, Nebr., upon which he now resides. Mr. Brown was married to Miss Lurena Bourn, a native of Morgan county, Ind., in 1881, and to this union have been born three children, viz.--Daisy, born August 30, 1883, and died September 10, 1884; Clara May, born July 17, 1885, and Carl E., born May 18, 1887. In politics, Mr. Brown is a republican, and for three successive terms has served as township clerk. Mr. Brown well deserves the reputation which he bears for uprightness and geniality.

H. H. WINCHESTER. An old and honored citizen of Buffalo county and one of the first settlers of the locality where he lives is H. H. Winchester, of Platte township. Mr. Winchester moved into the county in May, 1879. He took a homestead shortly afterwards on the old Fort Kearney military reservation, which had been thrown open to settlement a short time previously, filing on lots in sections 5 and 32, his claim lying on Clark's island, in the Platte river. There he located and has since resided. He has a small, well-improved farm, desirably located and one that yields well. He has been actively and exclusively engaged in farming since settling in the county. Mr. Winchester had his first experience, however, at farming on his present place. Before moving West, he was for many years a manufacturer of carriages in Coleraine, Mass. Misfortune overtook him, as it has done thousands of others, and he came West to regain what


he could. Measured by his means and opportunities, he has succeeded reasonably well. It is no mean tribute to his pluck and energy that he has done as well as he has. He was considerably past middle life when the business which he had been engaged in for twenty-one years went to pieces. It would unquestionably, under the circumstances, take a strong resolution to make a man pull up, go to a new country and set out afresh in a business concerning which he knew nothing practically. The natural impulse of most men would be to remain among the friends and associates of their earlier years. But Mr. Winchester's pride and sense of duty to those dependent on him forbade him doing this. He came West, where, if he could not materially repair his own fortunes, he might at least put his children in a better way to make theirs than they could hope to do in the East.
    Mr. Winchester is a native of Marlboro, Vt., and was born in 1824. He was reared there till he reached maturity and went thence to Massachusetts, where he resided, mainly at Coleraine, till coming to Nebraska. He comes of old New England stock, his father, Martin Winchester, being a native of Marlboro, Vt., and his mother, who bore the maiden name of Clarissa Hillyard, a native of Stonington, Conn. These were reared in their native places, married in the latter state, and settled in Marlboro, where they subsequently lived and died. The father died in 1844, at the age of sixty-one; the mother in 1862, in her sixtieth year. They were plain, well-to-do people, spent their lives on the farm and were characterized for their industry and the economical management of their domestic affairs. They left a family of six children, only three of whom are now living. The full list is as follows -- Betsie, Cyrus, Horace H., Eliza, George and Hiram. The last three sons are the ones now living.
    Horace H., the subject of this sketch, and Mary Ann Felker were married in June, 1849, Mrs. Winchester being a native of New Durham, N. H. She is the eldest child of William and Susan (Holmes) Felker, her parents both being natives also of New Hampshire. Her father was born March 18, 1799, and died December 2, 1832. Her mother was born January 19, 1799, and died at the age of forty-two years. Their children were Mary Ann (Mrs. Winchester), who was born October 9, 1827; Hannah Abigail, who was born October 19, 1829; William, who was born January 19, 1832, and who died one day after; Deborah J., who was born December 23, 1832, and died May 17, 1839, making Mrs. Winchester and her sister, Hannah Abigail, the only survivors.
    Mr. and Mrs. Winchester are the parents of five children, all of whom are now living. These are--William, John, Clara, Ella and Charles. To these Mr. Winchester has given good educational training and they are all making their own way in the world in a creditable manner. Only two of them now remain at home, these being the two younger.
    Coming of New England stock Mr. Winchester retains many of the qualities of his people. His persevering industry, strong self-reliance, as well as his thrifty, economical habits, he owes to this source. Mellowed by age and softened by his experience with the world, his character has lost that metallic nature (if indeed he ever had it), which the New England character is popularly supposed to have and he presents the appearance of a man who has lived to a reasonably good age, soothed and sustained by a consciousness of having discharged his whole duty to those dependent upon him and to his fellowmen. He has never aspired to any public life, being content to follow the even tenor of his way as an humble citizen. He has not failed, however, to bear his full share of the burden of public and neighborhood duties of that unremunerative kind which fall to the lot of all.


Photo of John Barnd

JUDGE JOHN BARND is a native of the town of Finley, Hancock county, Ohio, and is the fifth of a family of eight born to Adna F. and Delemma (Whitelock) Barnd. On his paternal side, he is of German extraction; on his maternal, English. On both sides he is a descendant of two of the first settled families of Ohio. His father, Dr. Adna F. Barnd, was born in Pennsylvania, reared in Ohio, moved after his marriage to Illinois, and is now a resident of Pike county, that state. He was educated for the medical profession and has long followed the practice of physic, being now well advanced in years. A great lover of books, a close observer of men, and an interested spectator in all public matters, his speculations have taken a wider range and his sphere of activity extended beyond the limits usually allotted to a common medical practitioner. Judge Barnd's mother died when he was young.
    The subject of this sketch was born February 2, 1844, and was reared in McLean county, Ill. April 22, 1861, when he had just turned his seventeenth year, he enlisted in the Union army as a member of Company C, Twentieth Illinois infantry. This regiment enjoys the distinction of having been one of the three hundred fighting regiments of the Union army. It was organized in Lovejoy's old district, and composed of ten companies, one from each county, except Will, which furnished two. It was organized May 14, 1861, at Joliet, and mustered into service June 15. It left camp the following week for Alton, and July 6 it moved to Cape Girardeau, Mo., remaining there seven months, during which time it engaged in minor expeditions, including the battle at Frederickstown, Mo., against Jeff Thompson February 2, 1862; then, in W. H. L. Wallace's brigade, McClernand's division, the regiment started for Fort Donelson. It participated in the battle there, and lost eighteen men killed, one hundred and eight wounded, and six missing. Lieutenant-colonel William Ervin was killed there by a shot in the breast. Every man of the color guard was either killed or wounded. At Shiloh, the regiment's loss was twenty-two killed, one hundred and seven wounded and seven missing. In the Vicksburg campaign the Twentieth served in General Logan's division. At Raymond, it went into battle with two hundred and forty guns. It lost seventeen killed, sixty-eight wounded and one missing. It also engaged in Champion hills, Black river and siege of Vicksburg. It was stationed in the vicinity of Vicksburg from July, 1863, to February, 1864,and during the


month of February, went with General Sherman on the Meridian expedition. After the Meridian expedition they left Sherman and returned to Big Black river, whence, after a furlough, they marched to Huntsville, Ala., and then to the front of Kenesaw mountain, where they again joined Sherman's army. June 8, 1864, it was assigned to duty in Force's brigade, Leggett's division, and took part in the Atlanta campaign; was in the famous March to the Sea, the campaign through the Carolinas and also took part in the grand review at Washington. The history of this regiment, so far as it can be applied to an individual soldier, constitutes the military record of the subject of this sketch. It is certainly an honorable one. A regiment that entered the service with a total enrollment of one thousand and ninety-two men, as did the Twentieth Illinois, and lost in killed and wounded five hundred and three, or nearly half, has given ample proof of the service it saw, and no words of praise could confer on it greater distinction than these cold figures. Judge Barnd bears the marks of his service, having received a wound in the hip at Fort Donelson, and one in the head at Raymond, Miss., where he had four bullet holes through his hat, and the top of his coat sleeve cut off. In the latter of these engagements, his regiment sustained the heaviest loss of the day. In July, 1865, after the close of the war, he returned to Illinois.
    Mr. Barnd married, May 5, 1865, Mary C, daughter of William and Susan Stevenson, of Lexington, McLean county, Ill. They have two children living, viz. --Ruth A. and Lizzie. Settling down to the less martial but no less exacting duties which the return of peace brought, be began to cast about for some calling, which, if it did not bring great honor, would, at least, bring that which was then of much more practical use, bread and butter. He began teaching, and in the meantime took up the study of law. He continued in the school-room and pursued his law studies several years; in fact, until his health became seriously impaired and he decided that a change of occupation and locality was necessary. He was examined before the supreme court at Springfield, and admitted to the bar January 9, 1874. Coming West in the following spring, he located in Kearney and immediately opened a law office, and in connection therewith a collecting and land agency. He followed this business continuously and successfully for fifteen years, relinquishing it only recently. In the meantime, he served his county two terms as county judge, having been elected first in November, 1879, and re-elected in November, 1881. He was nominated for attorney general of the state by the anti-monopoly party at the convention held at Hastings, and was an opposition candidate to Judge F. G. Hamer, but was defeated by a little over one hundred votes in Buffalo county. Subsequently he was nominated for the same office by the temperance party at Omaha.
    April 1, 1888, Judge Barnd, in connection with S. S. St. John and eastern parties, organized the Mutual Loan and Investment Company of Kearney, with an authorized capital of $250,000, he becoming vice-president and treasurer. August, 1889, he, in connection with Mr. St. John, bought of L. R. Robertson, the Commercial and Savings Bank of Kearney,


a private bank, which they re organized under the state laws, with an authorized capital of $l00,000, forty per cent. of which is paid up. Judge Barnd became cashier and has since had the general management of the bank's affairs. It is one of the solid institutions of the city of Kearney and of Buffalo county, and is recognized as doing a safe, conservative business. It has interested in it some of the best business men in Kearney; men known for their honesty and discriminating judgment in financial matters. It has good backing, the stockholders owning large amounts of real estate and other securities.
    Judge Barnd has had absolute faith in the future of Kearney and Buffalo county from the beginning, and he is one of the few "old timers" who availed themselves of early opportunities. He came to Kearney poor. As he gradually accumulated he invested in acre and city property, and these investments have brought him handsome returns. He has large landed interests, not only in Buffalo county, but in other localities of the state. He is no longer known in the law, his banking and other interests now engrossing all his time and attention. He has been some-what active in politics and is occasionally heard from in local matters. Formerly he voted and worked with the democrats, but more recently he has affiliated with the prohibitionists. He is, as he says, sometimes known as a "kicker." He does not court popularity and cares but little for majorities. He fights for principles, and when once committed to a measure, believes in fighting it out without compromise, fear or favor. He is clear in judgment, prompt in action and steadfast in the faith by which he acts. Personally, he is popular and socially stands high. His feelings for the old soldiers are naturally warm and his relations with them intimate. He can not but help feel that every old soldier is, in some sense, his brother, and as such entitled to consideration at his hands that but few are, outside of the now fast-vanishing brotherhood. It is natural for him to feel so, for with them are associated memories of the most eventful years of his life. None but those who were actors in the scenes of l861-5 know what these memories are.

J. W. BLAIR, a prosperous farmer of Platte township, Buffalo county, is a native of New York and a descendant of York State parentage of Irish and English origin. His father, Charles Blair, and his mother, Delilah White, were both born, reared, always lived and died in York State. His mother having died when he was young, but little of her personal and family history has been preserved in his recollection and none in manuscript or other more enduring form. His father lived to a great age, dying January 9, 1870, having passed his ninety-ninth year. He was a man of remarkable vitality and great physical vigor. He led a very orderly, temperate life, and thus in a great measure husbanded his strength. He served in the war of 1812, but never occupied any civil positions of distinction, being a plain, industrious, useful farmer. He was three times married and was the father of twelve children, three by his second marriage and nine by the last. These were (by the second marriage)--Charles,


Mary and Katie; by the last--Julia A., Ann, Mary, Maggie, John Wallace (our subject), Ellza, Elizabeth, William and Melissa. He was of Irish ancestry, his father, whose christian name was also Charles, being a native of Ireland who came to this country when a lad sixteen years of age, as family tradition relates.
    John Wallace Blair, the subject of this notice, was born and reared in St. Lawrence county, N. Y., growing up on his father's farm, where he received the rudiments of an elementary education and was trained to the habits of industry and usefulness common to farm life. The first event of importance in his life was his enlistment in the service of his country at the opening of the Civil war. He entered the Union army in December, 1862, going into Company K, Sixtieth New York infantry. His regiment started from Ogdensburg, N. Y., but he joined it at Washington, D. C., where it rendezvoused. It saw its first service at the second Bull Run, and was soon afterwards transferred to the Western department, being part of the detachment that was sent to the relief of Burnside, at Knoxville, Tenn. It then entered the Atlanta campaign, and, beginning with the engagement at Lookout mountain, he was in all the fights down to Atlanta, chief among them being Resaca, Ringgold, Marietta, New Hope church, Peach Tree creek, Kenesaw mountain and the two days' fight at Atlanta. He was then with Sherman in his famous march to the sea, winding up with the campaigns through the Carolinas and surrender of Johnston's army at Goldsboro, N. C., participating in the grand review at Washington and being discharged at Ogdensburg, N. y., July 31, 1865. He served as a private and had the good fortune never to be captured or wounded. Returning to his native place at the close of the war he settled down to the peaceful pursuits of agriculture, which he followed as assidiously (sic) as he had fought to suppress the rebellion, and, measured by his means and strength, with as much success.
    He married in 1869, and sometime afterwards moved West and settled in Muscatine county, Iowa, where he resided till coming to Nebraska in July, 1884. On coming to this state he bought a relinquishment on a tract of land in Platte township, Buffalo county, being part of the old Fort Kearney military reservation. On this he filed a soldier's homestead claim, settled, and has since resided there. This tract comprises one hundred and fifty two acres and a fraction, and lying between the channels of the Platte river, is mostly hay-land. Mr. Blair has added to it by purchase a quarter section adjoining it, making a large tract, which he has well stocked and some of which is well improved. He is a farmer in the strictest sense of the word, and is a successful one. He believes in the diversification of farm interest and carries out in practice what so many teach only in theory. He has a good home and good improvements; every thing on his place gives evidence of the thrift, order and good management that prevail there.
    Losing his first wife after moving to Iowa, Mr. Blair married again in August, 1876, the lady whom he married being Miss Nancy E. Hallenbeck, then of Iowa City, Iowa, but a native of Pennsylvania. Seven children have been born to this union--Gertrude A., Isaac Herbern, May


Ursula, William Wallace, George Robert, Maud Delilah and Schuyler Morton. For these, and because he is a public-spirited citizen, Mr. Blair has taken great interest in the educational interests of his township, having been a member of the school board ever since he has resided in it. He has never aspired to public life and has never filled any public position. He votes the straight republican ticket and is a stanch supporter of the principles and practices of his party.

H. S. TOWERS is one of the oldest settlers, and one of the best farmers and most intelligent and upright citizens of Platte township, Buffalo county. Mr. Towers is a New Englander by birth and comes of New England ancestry, of Scotch and English origin. His first ancestor in this country on his father's side was Robert Towers, his grandfather, who was born in Scotland, and emigrated to America when a lad, settling in one of the New England states, probably Vermont. The name of his first ancestor on his mother's side, who came to this country, is lost in the mists of the past. His father, Safford Towers, was born and reared in the town of Richmond, Vt., and there met and married Eunice Manwell, daughter of Stephen and Dulcina Manwell, of that place, where she also was born. From that point he set out in 1854 with his little family for the Pacific coast, with the intention of making his future home in California. This was a hope, however, never to be realized, for he died on the passage and his family remained on the coast only six months, returning thence to Vermont, where the two children--Henry Safford, the subject of this notice, and Frances, now wife of A. W. Edwards--grew up, and where the latter, with her mother, continues to reside.
    Henry Safford Towers was born in the town of Milburn, Mass., in 1847, but was reared mainly in Richmond, Chittenden county, Vt. He grew up mostly on the farm and received a good common-school education. The first event of importance in his life, as it was the supreme event in the lives of hundreds of young men who came on the stage of action about the time he did, was his enlistment in the army. He entered the service in December, 1864, enlisting in Company M, First Frontier cavalry, being part of the arm of the Union service that was organized by the States of New York and Vermont to guard the St. Lawrence river. He served till after the surrender, being discharged June 29, 1865, at Burlington, Vt.
    On December 2, 1867 Mr. Towers married Miss Marion Rogene Jewell, a daughter of Sawyer and Maria Jewell, she then being a resident of Richmond, Vt., where she was reared, but a native of Schuyler Falls, N. Y., her parents being natives of Vermont, her father still being a resident of the Green Mountain State, her mother dying in 1857. Settling down to the pursuit of agriculture, Mr. and Mrs. Towers resided in Vermont and Massachusetts, mostly in the latter state till 1878, when they came to Nebraska and settled in January of that year on a claim on the old Fort Kearney military reservation in Buffalo county, which had been thrown open to settlement just previous to that time. There they have since resided.


Scans of original pages provided by Vicky Stephens
© Mona J Houser 1998, 1999, 2000 for NEGenWeb Project