Sharon township. He took a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres, filing on the southwest quarter of section 12, township 10, range 13 west. After a residence there of two or three years he purchased one hundred and sixty acres of railroad land in section 11, lying opposite his homestead, and went somewhat actively into farming. He lived on the farm for ten years engaged in agriculture and stock-raising, at which he was reasonably successful. In the spring of 1884 he moved into the town of Shelton and began at that date to handle agricultural implements, pumps and wind-mills. Two years later he added harness, since which time he has been doing a fairly prosperous business in these lines. Mr. Bailey retains most of his farming interests, being a considerable land-holder as well as one of the representative business men of Shelton. While he has never sought office, he has nevertheless been called upon to fill some places of trust in connection with the administration of the public affairs of his town and township. He has served on the county board as township supervisor two years and he is now justice of the peace for Shelton township. He is, however, a business man strictly, and his career has been that of the man of private affairs. The small offices he has filled he has been called to because of his recognized ability to handle the business part of them, and not to gratify any supposed personal pride he may have touching that ignis fatuus, public office.
    As this volume is designed to preserve something of the earlier history, ancestral and personal, of the old settlers of the county as well as an outline of their careers since locating here, some pertinent facts touching Mr. Bailey's origin and personal record, particularly his military life, may here be inserted.
    Charles S. Bailey was born in St. Lawrence county, N. Y., July 19, 1843. He came West in 1855 with his father, who settled in Tama county, Iowa, at that date. There Charles S. grew up. He enlisted in the army July 31, 1861, having just turned into his eighteenth year, entering Company C, Tenth Iowa volunteer infantry. His military record of course is merged in that of his regiment, as he served as a private. Let us therefore briefly review the history of the Iowa Tenth. The regiment was formed in September, 1861. It moved to Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis, Mo., was ordered thence to Cape Girardeau, that state, and went into winter quarters at Bird's Point, opposite Cairo. In the spring of 1862 it was placed under General Pope, was present in the movement against Island No. 10, and after the evacuation of that place was ordered to Osecola, Ark. Active movements having begun in the meantime in western Kentucky, Tennessee and northern Mississippi, it was ordered to join Grant's army, then preparing for the battle of Pittsburg Landing. It reached the latter place too late for the engagement there, but was placed in the army of the Tennessee, and after a few weeks' skirmishing around Memphis entered on the Vicksburg campaign. It served through all that campaign and sustained some heavy losses - notably at Champion's Hill. In the engagement at that place its casualties were thirty-six killed, and one hundred and sixty-six wounded and eight missing, being the largest list of casualties sustained by any regiment in that engagement. After


the evacuation of Vicksburg the Tenth was placed in Sherman's army and started towards what was afterwards the famous battlefield of Chickamauga, Lookout mountain and Missionary Ridge. Mr. Bailey's term of enlistment having expired about this time he re-enlisted along with most of his regiment, got his veteran furlough and went home, missing a few of the intermediate engagements. He rejoined his regiment at Kingston, Ga., soon after it had started on the Atlanta campaign, and was in the series of battles from there down to Atlanta. On the division of the Union forces at Atlanta the Tenth continued with Sherman to the sea and took part in the Carolina campaigns, being present at the surrender of Johnston's army April 26, 1865. It was at the grand review at Washington, ordered on special duty thence to Louisville, Ky., and afterwards to Little Rock, Ark., where it was mustered out, Mr. Bailey receiving his discharge at Davenport, Iowa, September 27, 1865. He returned to Toledo and was six years deputy sheriff of Tama county, or until the fall of 1873, then came to Nebraska as before stated.
    Mr. Bailey married at Toledo, Tama county, Iowa, in March, 1866, his wife bearing the maiden name of Margaret E. Fisher and being a native of Indiana. He has a family of children, some of whom are now grown, his oldest son, Fred A., being associated with him in business.
    Being an old soldier, Mr. Bailey naturally takes much interest in matters relating to the welfare of his comrades. He joined the G. A. R. association in Iowa before coming to this state. He helped organize Joe Hooker Post, G. A. R., the pioneer veteran association of Shelton, and has taken an active part in the affairs of the post. He is also a zealous member of the Masonic fraternity.
    In matters of general interest he takes the part which every good citizen is expected to take, and extends to all deserving enterprises a helping hand, aiding when necessary with his efforts and giving liberally in proportion to his means.

S. H. GRAVES. Connected with the banking interests of Buffalo county are a number of men who deserve more mention in this volume than the mere statement of their official positions. This is so because of the fact that the banks owe their origin and success in a great measure to these men, their history being in truth only a cross-section of the personal history of their founders and managers.
    A man falling within the scope of this statement is S. H. Graves, cashier of the Shelton Bank. The bank with which he is connected is the oldest one in the town of Shelton. Mr. Graves is not the founder of it, but he has been the principal stockholder in it for a term of years and has practically made it what it is. The bank was started as a private affair in June, 1882, by Coleman & Leachey. They were succeeded in about a year by Huggins & Leachey, and these in turn were succeeded in June, 1883, by H. J. Robbins and S. H. Graves, under the firm name of Robbins & Graves. For the first year Mr. Robbins carried on the business alone, Mr. Graves not taking up his residence in Shelton till


1884. For a year following the bank was under the joint management of Messrs. Robbins & Graves till June, 1885, when Mr. Graves purchased Mr. Robbins' interest and assumed exclusive control, conducting the bank still as a private affair till July, 1889. At this date it was organized under the state banking laws, retaining the name of the Shelton Bank and having an authorized capital of $50,000.00, half of which was paid in. The charter members were J. S. Hedges, D. P. Junk, George Mortimer, S. H. Graves and L. F. Stockwell. Mr. Mortimer was elected president, Mr. Junk vice-president and Mr. Graves cashier. By reason of his greater term of service and his official position, Mr. Graves was given, and continues to exercise, chief control over the bank's affairs. These, it is fair to say, are in a prosperous condition and have been at all times. It is also fair to say that the fact that they are so is due in no small measure to the judicious management of the cashier. Mr. Graves is not a born and bred banker, having had his first experience at banking in the present institution; but he is a thoroughly competent business man and has had a training as such that would enable him to take hold of any general enterprise with a reasonable hope of conducting it successfully. He is a hard worker, clear headed, systematic, painstaking and attentive. He knows the value of a dollar, as he has made what he has himself, and this knowledge of the labor value of money all the better qualifies him to jealously guard the earnings of wage-workers intrusted (sic) to his custody and management.
    Prior to coming to Nebraska, Mr. Graves was a commercial traveler for ten years, and he has, therefore, seen a great deal of the world and knows much of the ways of men. He started on the road at nineteen years of age for a New York drug house, Curtis & Brown, and during the term of his service with them he "made," in the parlance of the craft, all the towns in the province of Ontario, Canada, and those in six of the chief states and territories of the west in this country. He traveled three years in Canada, and for seven years he traveled in Dakota, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado and New Mexico. Mr. Graves has swung a sample case and "bached" in a grip over thousands of miles of territory; he has taken thousands of tradesmen by the hand and felt their pulse as to their commercial wants, and he has supplied those wants in instances without number and in a way which only the accomplished salesman knows how to do. What his success was, or whether above that of the average commercial man, need not be elaborated on here. But this much can be said: He did what not one traveling man in a hundred ever does--he quit the road with a good share of his earnings and settled down to a pleasant and remunerative business. The ordinary man of fixed habits and circumscribed views of living will hardly appreciate the amount of self-denial and rigid husbanding of resources that it takes to do this. Only the man who has once been "in the swim," as it were, and knows what life on the road is in all its phases, will be able to understand the self-imposed discipline under which Mr. Graves constantly kept himself.

"Ah, well for him whose will is strong: He suffers, but will not suffer long; He suffers, but can not suffer wrong"--


An excellent thought to which Mr. Graves has given point and practical force worthy of note.
    But this sketch must, in pursuance of the plan of the work, embody some other facts to which we now turn. These are a few facts in reference to the subject's birthplace, earlier years and ancestral history in which those of his name who come on in after years will feel most deeply interested.
    S. H. Graves was born in Chazy, Clinton county, N. Y., March 19, 1855. He is descended from two old New York families, tracing his ancestry back by family tradition for at least four generations, beginning with himself. His paternal great-grandfather, Seth Graves, was a pioneer settler in northeastern New York, going into Clinton county when that and all the surrounding country was a wilderness. He was in his life, habits and exploits a "path-finder," not strictly of the novelist's kind, but one of the practical sort. After locating in Clinton county he spent the remainder of his days there. He was succeeded among others by a son named Chauncy, who was the grandfather of the subject of this sketch. The latter was a miller by trade--a quiet, sober, earnest man, who devoted all his years to the industrious pursuit of his calling, and died, leaving a family, one of whom, Joel W., was the father of our subject. Mr. Graves' father is still living in Clinton county, where he was born and reared. He is a farmer, a man also of modest pretentions, a respectable and fairly well-to-do citizen.
    Mr. Graves' mother, who is yet also living, bore the maiden name of Louisa J. McCulloch. She is a native of Clinton county, N. Y., and a descendant of an ancient family of respectability in that state.
    Mr. Graves is the only representative of his father's family who has ever come West to live. The advantages of the West, and particularly of Nebraska, were brought to his attention during his travels over the state, and in fact, as already noted, he bought the interests which finally brought him as a resident to the state, while he was yet on the road. He still has interests, however, in his native county and his people living there; he has for years paid occasional visits to his old home and has kept up an acquaintance with the scenes of his childhood and the friends of his youth. These visits led to an attachment some years ago, which resulted, later, in his marrying a neighbor girl of Chazy, who, though not a native of that place, was mainly reared there, and, like Mr. Graves, is a descendant of an old Clinton county family. This lady was Miss Myra W. Fisk, daughter of Hiram C. Fisk. The marriage here referred to took place September 22, 1884. Mrs. Graves was born in Vermont, in which state her father lived for some years, although he was a native of Clinton county, N. Y., being reared there and dying there on the old Fisk homestead in the town of Chazy. Mrs. Graves' father was a man of note and above the ordinary run of men. He was distinguished for his persevering industry, his great energy and determination. He was a shrewd man of business, and in the course of his lifetime accumulated a considerable fortune. The one wish of his life was to become able to re-purchase the old family homestead


which, through misfortune, had passed into strangers' hands--a wish which he fully realized, buying this place as he did and spending his declining years there.
    It will hardly be necessary to add that the subject of this sketch has no political triumphs or defeats to record in this connection. Having set out with the fixed purpose of making of himself a man of business, he has had no time for politics. Even had he had the time and taste, his mode of life has precluded the possibility of gratifying any ambition in that direction. The extent of his public service has been his five years' term as treasurer of the Shelton public school fund, an office he has filled acceptably, handling the funds thereof with care and discretion; also as member of the board of trustees of Shelton. As a citizen, Mr. Graves naturally takes considerable interest in public questions and public enterprises, and he can usually be relied upon to perform his duty and bear his share of the expense in securing for his town and community any enterprise, institution or interest of a public nature. In ordinary social and business intercourse he is exceedingly approachable, and has for friend and stranger alike a cheerful word and a hearty grasp of the hand. Having spent a large part of his life among strangers and in a situation where the friction of business competition brings out all the unpleasantness of men's natures, along with some of the noblest qualities as well, he has learned to place a proper estimate on the value of those little social amenities which go far towards sweetening human intercourse and lessening the cynic's charge of "man's inhumanity to man." We use no honeyed words of doubtful import or propriety when we characterize him as a worthy citizen and a pleasant, affable gentlemen

JOHN S. HEDGES. This gentleman is a well known business man of the town of Shelton, Buffalo county. He came to Nebraska in July, 1883, and settled at that date in Shelton. He came from Iowa to Nebraska, but Iowa not being his native state, nor yet his native state the one where he was reared, it will be best for the purposes of this sketch to go back at once to the place and time of his birth and bring the record down in chronological order.
    John S. Hedges was born in Chemung county, N. Y., April 2, 1839. He comes of New York parentage, his father, Jeremiah Hedges, having been born and reared on Long Island, and his mother, whose maiden name was Martha R. Saunders, having been a native of Steuben county. His father went into western New York when a young man, settled at Elmira, married, and there lived for some years. As soon, however, as his family began to grow up he decided to move West, and in 1847 emigrated to Illinois and settled in Kane county. There he lived till 1864, when he moved to Fairfax, Linn county, Iowa, where he died the following year in the sixty-third year of his age. He was a farmer and led the plain, uneventful life common to his calling. Mr. Hedges' mother survived her husband


some years, dying at her son's home in Nebraska, December 1, 1888, having attained her seventy-sixth year.
    The family to which the subject of this sketch belonged embraced eight children, who reached maturity. These were Laura B., Emma C., John S., Isaac S., Edmund Julius, Charles H., Mary K., and William G. These are all living but Isaac S., who died towards the close of the war from disease contracted in the army, and Edmund Julius, who died March 6, 1866, at the age of twenty-two. The eldest daughter is now Mrs. Laura B. Gibson, of Aurora, Ill.; the next is Mrs. Emma C. Goodell, of Ellsworth, Kans.; Charles H. is a resident of Los Angeles, Cal.; the youngest girl is Mrs. Mary K. Sargent, of Roscoe, Ill., and the last, William G., is a resident of Ainsworth, Nebr.
    John S., with whom this article is more immediately concerned, was, as the dates already given will show, only about eight years old when his parents immigrated to Illinois and settled in Kane county. He was reared mainly in the towns of Aurora and Batavia, in that county. The first event of importance in his life, as it was an event of much moment in the lives of thousands of other young men of his age, was his enlistment in the army. He offered himself as a volunteer to the Union army when the first call was made in April, 1861, but was not mustered into service till the August following. He entered Company I, which was made up mainly of volunteers from Kane county. His company reported at once to Chicago for duty, and was placed in the Forty-second regiment of Illinois infantry, then forming to go to the front. From that date his company's history of course became merged in the history of his regiment, a brief outline of which we will here give to preserve in its appropriate place the facts of Mr. Hedges' military career. On September 21, 1861, the Forty-second moved to St. Louis, Mo. It took part in various movements in Missouri till February, 1862, when it was ordered to Fort Holt, Ky.; was subsequently engaged in the operations at Island No. 10; joined Pope's army April 11; moved to Hamburg, Tenn., April 22; was engaged in the siege of Corinth, also the battle of Farmington, Miss., May 9, losing in the latter engagement two killed, twelve wounded and three missing; was ordered thence by forced marches into Tennessee; was present at the siege of Nashville, and was held in that vicinity for two months during the see-saw campaigns conducted by Buell and Bragg in Kentucky; was then attached to Sheridan's division; took part in the battle of Stone river, where it lost twenty-two men killed, one hundred and sixteen wounded and eighty-five prisoners; moving thence south it was in the engagement at Chickamauga, where its losses were twenty-eight killed, one hundred and twenty-eight wounded and twenty-eight prisoners. At Missionary Ridge it lost five killed and forty wounded, being on the skirmish line during the entire engagement. After pursuing the enemy to Chickamauga creek it returned and entered the east Tennessee campaign. January 1, 1864, it veteranized and was granted a thirty-day furlough. Returning it entered the Atlanta campaign and was engaged at Rocky Face creek, Resaca, Adairsville, New Hope church, Pine mountain, Kenesaw mountain, Peach Tree


creek, Atlanta, Jonesboro and Lovejoy station, losing in the campaign twenty killed, eighty-nine wounded and seven prisoners. Being then in the fourth corps it formed part of Thomas' army and was on the return campaign into Tennessee; took part in the battles at Spring Hill, Franklin and Nashville, losing in these engagements twenty-six killed, one hundred and six wounded and thirty prisoners. It followed Hood to Decatur, Ala., and was there till April, 1865, when it was ordered into east Tennessee to cut off an anticipated retreat of Lee into that locality, and it was there engaged in that mission when the surrender took place. Returning to Nashville, it was ordered by way of New Orleans to Texas, being stationed at Port Lavaca as an army of occupation until December, 1865, when it was mustered out, left Indianola, arrived at Camp Butler, Springfield, Ill., January 3, 1866, and on the twelfth received final payment and discharge.
    This record speaks for itself. Comment is not called for in this place. Mr. Hedges was with his regiment from the beginning to the end of its service, except the thirty days he was home on his veteran furlough, and twenty days when wounded. He participated in all the battles it fought, and helped to win for it the honorable position which it occupies in the annals of the war. He entered the service as a private, was promoted at once to corporal; in May, 1862, to sergeant; in October, 1864, to orderly sergeant; in November 1864, to first lieutenant, and in September 1865, to captain. At the battle of Chickamauga he was wounded by a gun-shot in the left leg below the knee, but was off duty only thirty days in consequence. This wound gave him trouble during all the following winter, not entirely healing till the next spring.
    A man with such a record would naturally continue to feel much interest in military matters, and so Mr. Hedges does. He joined the local post of the Grand Army of the Republic in 1883 and has been an active member since. Besides this he organized a Zouave company at Shelton in 1886, which was re-organized in June, 1887, and made Company A, Second regiment of the Nebraska national guards, of which he was elected captain. August 25, 1887, he was made brigade commissary of the first brigade on General L. W. Colby's staff, which position he now holds.
    Adverting to Mr. Hedges' business career it may be recorded that when the war was over he went to Fairfax, Linn county, Iowa, whither his people had moved during the war, and there settled, and in October, 1866, engaged in grain, lumber and coal business, which he followed successfully till coming to Nebraska. On locating in Shelton, this state, he embarked in the same line of business, forming a partnership with D.P. Junk, who came with him from Fairfax, Iowa. As this volume is not an advertising medium it will be sufficient to say that the firm of Hedges & Junk is one of the representative business firms of the town of Shelton and that they handle their share of the trade in their line. Mr. Hedges is also a stockholder in and a member of the board of directors of the First National Bank of Shelton, having helped to organize that bank about a year ago. He has never been an aspirant for public office of any kind and we there-


fore have no political successes or defeats to record of him. His career has been that of a business man strictly. He takes such interest in public enterprises and matters of general concern as any good citizen might be expected to, working with his own hands when his efforts are needed and giving of his means in proportion to his ability. As evidence of the interest he takes in the welfare of his fellow-men and the practical and commendable turn his charitable impulses take, it may be mentioned that he is a member in good standing in the following fraternities--The Knights of Pythias, Ancient Order of United Workmen, Modern Woodmen of America and Iowa Legion of Honor.
    Mr. Hedges was married in March, 1864, the lady of his choice being a girl with whom he had been almost reared, Miss Lettie M. Hanvey, of Batavia, Ill. Mrs. Hedges was born in Wyoming county, N. Y., and moved to Kane county, Ill., with her uncle, N. Wolcott, when small.
    This volume is not a work of romance and we can not therefore give way to flights of fancy or indulge the tender feelings, yet the reader who peruses this sketch carefully and notes the fact from the dates above given that the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Hedges took place while he was home on his veteran furlough, carrying an ugly wound, will form for himself a mental picture, a wartime etching, which can not but be pleasing to the fancy, albeit the picture may take on something of a sober coloring when he remembers how cruelly short the honey-moon was and the long and weary months that passed before the mated ones were re-united again.

D. P. JUNK. Measured by the length of residence of the oldest settlers, the subject of this sketch may be considered a comparatively recent accession to the population of the town of Shelton, Buffalo county, where he settled in May, 1883. Mr. Junk came from Fairfax, Linn county, Iowa, to Nebraska; his native place, however, being Fayette county, Ohio. He is descended from pioneer ancestors, people of strong limbs and stout hearts. He is of Welsh and Scotch extraction, his paternal grandfather, Thomas Junk, being a native of Wales, who came to America when a lad and settled when a young man in Fayette county, Ohio, and his mother's people coming from Scotland to the Western states by way of Pennsylvania.
    Mr. Junk's father, whose christian name was Thomas, was born in Fayette county, Ohio, was reared and married there, and in after years moved to Bloomington, Ill, and then to Linn county, Iowa, where he subsequently lived and died. He lived till 1876, having reached his seventy-second year.
    Mr. Junk's mother, who bore the maiden name of Elizabeth Pinkerton, being a daughter of William Pinkerton, was born in Pennsylvania and came West at an early date with her parents, who settled in Fayette county, Ohio. There she was reared and married. She is still living.
    Thomas and Elizabeth Junk were the parents of five children, of whom the subject of this biographical notice is the third. The others are--Amelia, now wife of Thomas Springer, of Fairfax, Iowa; Emily, wife of Andrew D. Karr, of Dakota; Ada, wife of Calvin Harrow, of Des Moines,


Iowa, and James C., of Fairfax, Iowa. These are all living.
    The third, David P., an outline of whose life is here proposed, was born in Fayette county, Ohio, April 4, 1844. He was reared mainly in Bloomington, Ill., whither his father moved when he was small, and was a young man when his father moved to Iowa. Entering the army early in the spring of 1862, when he had just turned into his eighteenth year, the next three years of his life were spent "where the roar of cannon and the rattle of musketry made the only music that greeted his ears," while the long, fatiguing marches and the privations and hardships of camp life contrasted forcibly with the peace and comforts of the home in which he had been reared. Mr. Junk enlisted in Company A, Fifteenth Iowa volunteer infantry, his regiment forming a part of the famous Iowa brigade, which, under the command of Colonel Crocker, did such noble execution, and an outline of its history is here worth mentioning, as showing in some measure the part Mr. Junk took as one of the countless thousands of brave men, now "to fortune and to fame unknown."
    The Fifteenth Iowa was organized at Keokuk, February 22, 1862, and mustered in on March 14th. It left the state, one thousand and thirty-eight strong, on March 19th, stopping at St. Louis, where it was armed and equipped, and on the morning of April 6th arrived at Pittsburg Landing, just as the battle of Shiloh was beginning. It had been previously assigned to Prentiss' division, but, unable to find that command, Colonel Reid ordered the regiment into line and it fought in McClernand's division; though entering the battle with so little preparation, it rendered efficient service and acquitted itself creditably. Its loss at Shiloh was twenty-one killed, one hundred and fifty-six wounded, and eight missing--a total of one hundred and eighty-five out of seven hundred and sixty engaged. Soon after this battle the famous Iowa brigade, composed of the Eleventh, Thirteenth, Fifteenth and Sixteenth, was formed and placed under command of Colonel Crocker, and in the battle of Corinth fought in McKean's division. The Fifteenth, Col. Wm. W. Belknap commanding, sustained the principal loss in the brigade, its casualties amounting to eleven killed, sixty-seven wounded and eight missing, out of about three hundred and fifty engaged. In the early spring of 1863, the regiment encamped near Lake Providence, La., and assisted in digging the military canal, connecting the lake with the Mississippi river, it was then placed in McArthur's division, seventeenth corps, and served through the Vicksburg campaign of that summer. The regiment re-enlisted, and, returning from its veteran furlough, joined Sherman's army, June 10, 1864, at Kenesaw, Ga., and served in the remainder of the Atlanta campaign. In the battle of Atlanta, July 21 and 22, the regiment lost one hundred and seventy-eight men, killed, wounded and missing, and captured the flags of two Confederate regiments. It was on the march to the sea and in the campaigns through the Carolinas. Mr. Junk's term of enlistment expired while the army was around Atlanta and he did not re-enlist. He was in all the engagements, however, up to that date. He served as private and later as sergeant. He returned home in the


summer of 1864 and went to farming. A few years afterwards he embarked in the mercantile business in Fairfax, Iowa, and remained there in that business till coming to Nebraska, in May, 1883.
    On locating in Shelton, his present place of residence, he entered into partnership with John S. Hedges, who came from Fairfax, Iowa, with him, forming the firm of Hedges & Junk, and began handling grain, lumber and coal. He has been so engaged since.
    In addition to this, Mr. Junk has an interest in the Shelton State Bank having helped to organize that institution, and is now vice-president of it. He is chairman of the board of the town council of Shelton, and chairman also of the board of trustees of the Shelton high school. He belongs to Joe Hooker Post, Grand Army of the Republic, at Shelton, and is a zealous member of the Knights of Pythias.
    Mr. Junk is a man of family, having married in Fairfax, Iowa, in October, 1867. His wife before marriage was Miss Anna McLaughlin, a daughter of Ira McLaughlin, a citizen then of Fairfax. Mrs. Junk was born and reared in Claremont, N. H., and comes of old New England stock. To this union have been born four children, three girls and one boy, the eldest two of whom are now dead, the others being--Bertha and Herbert L.
    Mr. Junk has been an almost life-long member of the Presbyterian church, inheriting his belief from an ancestry distinguished for their attachment to that faith.
    The Junk family are socially of very high standing in the community in which they live.

E. L. SMITH, M.D. The town of Shelton, Buffalo county, has a population of nearly a thousand souls. It has a scope of country tributary to it which, in density of population, is hardly exceeded in central Nebraska, yet in all that community there are but two physicians. The citizens give two explanations for this. The first is the remarkable healthfulness of the locality, and the second is that, as experiment has demonstrated, none but first-class physicians are needed or can prosper there. Each of these reasons seems reasonably satisfactory, and we dismiss the inquiry with them.
    One of the physicians of Shelton, a man of strictly first-class medical acquirements, is Dr. E. L. Smith, who located in Shelton, in May, 1884. He came direct from Chicago, where he obtained his medical education and where he was partly reared. He is a native of Cook county, Ill., having been born there November 24, 1847. He was reared at Palatine, that county, and in Chicago; selected medicine as a profession when a young man, and secured his training under Dr. S. P. Brown, of Elgin, Ill., and Dr. A. N. Shefner, of Palatine, reading with these gentlemen in all three years, and finishing at the Rush Medical College, of Chicago, taking in that institution, besides the regular curriculum, sixteen special courses. As these things constitute part of a physician's public record, and especially as they show his qualifications for his profession, they are things that the public are entitled to know, and it can therefore be deemed no bad taste on the part of the writer to state them explicitly in this article. Dr. Smith first attended the free



Scans of original pages provided by Vicky Stephens
© Mona J Houser 1998, 1999, 2000 for NEGenWeb Project