During the first few winters they experienced several severe storms and blizzards, when the snow would drift so that it would be impossible almost to get about. They frequently were compelled to burn hay and corn-stalks for fuel.
    Mrs. Tracy was born in Scotland county, Mo., July 3,1849, and was the daughter of Richard and Mary (Turner) Power. Both her parents were natives of Kentucky, and after marriage located in Rush county, Ind., where several years of their early life were spent. In the spring of 1838 they started West, stopping in Illinois, however, long enough to raise and dispose of a crop, then they pushed on to Missouri, where they resided the remainder of their lives. They had nine children - four sons and five daughters.
    Mr. Tracy is a pronounced religious man, although not at present a member of any church. Mrs. Tracy is an active member of the Methodist Episcopal church.

JOHN T. MALLALIEU, superintendent of the Nebraska State Industrial School, was born in Millington, Md., September 23,1852, and is a son of Thomas and Mary Mallalieu, natives of England. His education was received at the common schools, and his early business training was acquired in the office of his father, who was an extensive wool manufacturer. At twenty years of age he entered Dickinson College, at Carlisle, Pa., from which he graduated in June, 1876, and in the fall of the same year came to Nebraska. At Columbus he was elected principal of the Gibbon Academy, which position he held three years, and was then elected county superintendent, which office he filled in a most satisfactory manner for four years. In 1881 he was admitted to the bar, and in 1883 was elected regent of the University of Nebraska, which responsible office he filled for six years. In May, 1885, he was appointed superintendent of, the State Industrial School. This institution at that time found its needs fully supplied by the occupancy of one small building, but now nine large brick buildings are required to carryout the designs for which the institution was established and to accommodate the attending inmates, whose numbers have increased from ninety to two hundred and sixty.
    September 11, 1875, Mr. Mallalieu was united in marriage to Miss Alice Gotwald, a native of Indiana, and this felicitous union has been blessed by the birth of three children, viz. -- Thomas G., Mary M. and Bessie.

DR. GEORGE M. MILLS is the third of thirteen children and was born in Liberty, Adams county, Ill., December 17, 1812. He is a son of Franklin Mills, who was born October 17, 1822, in New Haven, Conn., and while a young man emigrated to Illinois, where he was by turns, farmer, mechanic, and merchant, following these pursuits for years. Dr. Mills' mother's maiden name was Mary Galbreath, and she was born in 1822. These are still living at Perry, Ill.
    At the age of three years the subject of this sketch was taken by his parents to


Brown county, Ill., where and in Pike county, that state, he was reared. He began the work at preparing himself for the duties of his profession in the fall of 1869 under the tutorship of Dr. Harvey Dunn, of Perry, Ill. He attended lectures at the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Keokuk, Iowa, graduating in 1878, and then at the Rush Medical College of Chicago, graduating in 1883, taking three full courses in the latter institution. He began the practice before he graduated, locating in 1871 at Birmingham, Schuyler county, Ill., where he continued to administer to the wants of the sick till the fall of 1876, when he removed to Ripley, Brown county, Ill. He lived at the latter place, continuing at his profession till May, 1885, when he removed to Nebraska, locating at Kearney, where he has since remained.
    He is a member of the Nebraska State Medical Society, ranking high in his profession and enjoying an extensive practice.
    Dr. Mills was married July 2, 1874, to Miss Eliza H. Burch, daughter of Preston H. Burch, of Springfield, Ill. It is rare that a husband finds in a wife traits and tastes congenial to his own, but in this instance Mrs. Mills is also a physician and is a companion, student and partner of her husband, in the art of healing.

DR. ELIZA B. MILLS is the youngest of six children, and was born in Springfield, Illinois. She is a daughter of Preston H. Burch, who was born in Harrisburg, Va., in 1809, and when a small boy moved with his parents to Kentucky, while that region in fact was the dark and bloody ground. In 1830 he emigrated to Illinois and located at Lincoln, where he continued to reside till his death. He was intimately acquainted with the illustrious man for whom his adopted town was named, and was an ardent admirer and warm supporter of "honest old Abe" in the embryonic stage of his political career; and when his fame as a statesman burst upon the dazed vision of the world, as the great war president, Mr. Burch was still a follower of the flag of the Union and Lincoln, determined to share their fortunes whatever they might be. At Port Hudson, La., while filling the responsible position of brigade quartermaster, he succumbed to the hardships and ravages of war. He died at his post of duty in the service of his country while his honored chief and friend was guiding the ship of state upon a tempestuous sea of a cruel and bloody civil war.
    The maiden name of the mother of the subject of this sketch was Elizabeth Suter. She was born in Charleston, S. C., "the beautiful city by the sea," and at an early age moved with her parents to Louisville, Ky., where she was educated. She died in 1864, at the age of forty-six. Mrs. Mills received her education at Eureka college in Woodford county, Ill., and began the study of medicine at the age of eighteen, of which she has been a student ever since.
    She was graduated an M. D. at the college of physicians and surgeons at Keokuk, Iowa, in 1881, and also took a course of lectures at the Woman's medical college of Chicago, Ill., during the session of 1882 and 1883.
    Since her graduation she has devoted


herself exclusively and assiduously to the practice of her profession.
    Mrs. Mills has done much to allay the prejudices in localities where she has lived. In fact, if her large practice is any test, she has succeeded in turning the tide in favor of woman as man's equal and co-laborer in the professions as well as the manual trades.
    She was married, July 2, 1874, to Dr. George M. Mills, and in May, 1885, she came with her husband to Kearney, Nebr. She is a splendid type of western womanhood, imbibing the spirit of her surroundings, and is energetic and progressive; not only as a healer of the body is she so favorably known, but many a ragged and hungry family, unable to keep the wolf of want from the door, bless her for the good she does. The poor and sick of her adopted city are pensioners upon her bounty and skill. As a physician she ranks high; as a generous, kind hearted woman she is without a superior.

W. H. SALISBURY. Among the many representative farmers and stock-raisers of Buffalo county, Nebr., is that worthy and genial gentleman, W. H. Salisbury, an American by birth and certainly one by principle. His father, John Salisbury, was born in Madison county, New York, where he married Miss Lucinda Brown. After the marriage he moved to Lake county, Illinois, taking an active part in progressive farming. Giving this up, he moved to Chicago, engaging in mercantile pursuits, at which he acquired a splendid competence. While on a visit to his daughter at Dundee, Ill., being then past his seventy-seventh year, he was taken ill, and died January 9, 1877. His wife survived him eight years, then quietly passed away December 30, 1885, in her seventy-third year. Of this happy marriage there were born the following children - John C., Sarah, Emeline (now deceased), Leroy (also deceased), Annie, George (a hero of the late rebellion, who died at his post of duty), William H. and Bessie.
    William H. Salisbury, the seventh child, was born in Lake county, Ill., but was raised mainly in Elgin and Chicago, being educated to mercantile pursuits, which he followed until his health failed him, when he resolved to seek quarters where he could regain it, and finally settled upon Nebraska. Hither he came, settling in Buffalo county in 1876, on the northwestern quarter of section 3, township 8, range 15, which he purchased; later on, he bought the quarter east of this, thus making him the owner of the north half of section 3. This land is under cultivation, the newest and best methods having been used.
    Mr. Salisbury has turned his attention to fine horses, making a specialty of Clydesdales, and having five head of stallions. He also has a large, handsome stock, some of which are imported direct from Scotland, among which are some very fine brood mares. Mr. Salisbury hopes to revolutionize breeding methods, and his success so far entitles him to a great deal of credit among horsemen. His barns, pastures and groves are all in accord with his progressive nature, thus making his farm of the most attractive in the township.
    Mr. Salisbury is a veteran of the late


rebellion, having enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Forty-first Illinois volunteers, at the early age of fifteen. Owing to his youth he was appointed post-boy, carrying the mail for his regiment, serving mostly in Kentucky, and remaining with the troops until the surrender of Lee to Grant at Appomattox. He married, March 6,1873, Miss Addie M., daughter of Albert and D. M. Bessie, both natives of Onondaga county, N. Y., where Mrs. Salisbury also was born. Her worthy parents are at present residing at Kearney City, this state. To this union has been born a son, Frederick H.
    Owing to the great respect Mr. Salisbury has acquired from his fellow-citizens, he has been honored by election to the offices of treasurer of Centre township, road supervisor and school trustee, serving in each capacity with thorough capability. Progressiveness is his motto, geniality his characteristic quality, and thus he plods onward through life, beloved and honored by his fellow-citizens.

JAHUGH WINSLOW, one of the first settlers on the old Fort Kearney reservation and a prosperous farmer of Centre township, Buffalo county, was born March 4,1841; in Washington county, Ind. His father, Josiah Winslow, a farmer by occupation, was also a native of Indiana, born in the year 1819. The mother, Sarah (Shields) Winslow, was born 1821. There were twenty-one children in the father's family.
    Jahugh Winslow, the subject of this biography, in his early days attended the neighboring school and assisted his father about the home place. He worked with his father at the tanning business in Washington county until thirty years of age. He enlisted in the war, in response to a proclamation calling for more troops, in September, 1864. He was assigned to Company E, Fifty-third regiment Indiana volunteers, and served in Sherman's army, Seventeenth Corps. His company was sent from Indianapolis, via Louisville, Nashville and Chattanooga, near which last-named place they were deserted by their commander and for four days were without a mouthful of food, after which they procured some moldy bread which the men eagerly devoured. The regiment joined Sherman at Atlanta, and was with him on his famous campaign through Georgia, during which Mr. Winslow was taken with the measles and had to march thirty miles through the rain. Arriving at the rebel works at Savannah, he was put into an ambulance and sent to the hospital at Port Royal Island, where he remained from December to February, when he was transferred to Fort Schuyler, where a month later his folks came after him, procured a furlough and took him home. He remained at home two months and then joined his regiment at Louisville. He was discharged July 29, 1865.
    He continued to reside in Washington county until October, 1875, when on account of his health he decided to emigrate West. He accordingly came and located first in Kearney, where he resided until January 3, of the following year, when he homesteaded a quarter section in what is called the old Fort Kearney reservation, on which he still resides.
    In 1876, he broke out and put into crops a portion of his place. The crops


for a time flourished and gave promise of a rich harvest, but the grasshoppers came that year and destroyed everything, leaving the family with neither money nor food. That winter Mrs. W. plied her needle diligently, while Mr. W. trapped beaver and otter along the Platte river, the skins of which he tanned and made into gloves and mittens, for which he found a ready market. Mr. W. also shot prairie-chickens, which he shipped to Eastern markets. With the money they were able to earn in this manner, they managed to live. In 1877 Mr. W. took a load of flour in a train of provisions to the Black Hill country in western Dakota. He reports good crops ever since 1878, with the exception of 1887, when he had his crops destroyed by a severe hail storm.
    Mr. Winslow was married March 14, 1867, to Sally A. Jones, daughter of Benjamin and Elizabeth (Newby) Jones; the former a furniture-maker by trade, was born in 1819; the latter was born in 1817.They are both living and have been blessed with ten children. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Winslow has resulted in the birth of seven children, as follows - John, Lydia, Alelia, Cora, Elbert R. and Benjamin T., and one that died in infancy not named.
    In politics, Mr. Winslow adheres to the principles of the republican party.

CHARLES R. STIMPSON, a prominent farmer and cattle man of Buffalo county, is a native of Huron county, Ohio, and was born February 4, 1833. At the age of seventeen he left the home farm and went to Minnesota, where he grew to manhood and where he was married in 1861. In 1862 he enlisted in Company F, Sixth Minnesota volunteer infantry, and saw his first service in the Indian campaign at Fort Hudson. On his return home in 1864 he joined the Eleventh Minnesota infantry and was sent to Tennessee, where he was chiefly employed on garrison duty until the close of the war, when he again returned to Minnesota, and for a short time followed carpentering, also engaged in merchandising, and for a while worked for a railroad company. In June, 1872, he came to Nebraska. In August of the same year, Kearney city was platted and a hotel commenced, and for five years Mr. Stimpson followed his trade of a carpenter in the new town. When he came to the county Gibbon was the county seat and the land he now lives on in Center township was included in the Fort Kearney military reservation. After a residence of three years here he was the first to take a claim in this reservation, much to the surprise of his neighbors, but in a very few days afterwards the entire tract of ten square miles, on both sides of the river, was under "squatter" claims. The fall of the same year he built his house and moved in, being the first man to take that step. The land cost $1.25 per acre and is located in section 32, in the northwest quarter of the reserve. Mr. Stimpson was the prime mover in securing from the government the right of settlers to this piece of public territory, to the exclusion of railroad companies' claims, and no company has ever owned an acre in the square by congressional grant.
    Mr. Stimpson served for several years as marshal of Kearney, during the notori-


ous cow-boy troubles. In those turbulent times these boys committed numerous depredations and perpetrated numerous murders, and quite a number of the desperadoes also met their death at the hands of the citizens in defense of their own lives. In those days, Indians were numerous and many citizens were killed by them, while others were killed by their fellow-citizens or straggling strangers, and the blame thrown upon the Indians. Many efforts were made by the ranchmen to oust the settlers from the reservation, as it was then an unorganized territory, but these efforts were in vain. Mitchell and Ketcham were among the ranchmen who took part in the nefarious scheme and shot down more than one man, trumped up charges of cattle stealing against others, but were themselves eventually lynched. The country was for a time in a lawless condition, and it required pluck and nerve on the part of the honest settler to keep his residence in it.
    Lovett Stimpson, the father of our subject, was a native of New York and was a veteran of the war of 1812. He married Miss Harriet Crane, also a native of New York and a daughter of Captain Crane, of the war of 1812. The Captain received for his services a land warrant, which he located near Little Rock, Ark. To Lovett Stimpson and wife were born twelve children, of whom the subject of this sketch is the youngest.
    The marriage of Charles E. Stimpson took place, as stated, in 1861, to Miss Arvilla Harrington, daughter of J. S. Harrington, of Ohio. Mr. Harrington has always been a very popular man and has held many offices of honor and trust, and is still living, at the age of seventy-five years, in Minnesota. The union of Mr. and Mrs. Stimpson has been blessed by the birth of five children, viz. - Adel, Byron, Leonard, Homer and Helen, all residents of Nebraska, excepting Adel, who is living in Los Angeles, Cal.
    Mr. Stimpson is one of the most enterprising citizens of Center township. Among other projects of an industrial character he assisted in organizing a stock company for the erection of a large four-story structure for the production of oatmeal, and is himself one of its largest stockholders. He and son own an extensive cattle ranch, located near Medicine lake, Nebr., and he is, besides, interested in several other branches of business. Mr. Stimpson is an Odd Fellow and is also a member of the Farmers' Alliance. In politics he is independent and casts his vote as best suits his judgment. Socially, he and family stand in the front rank.

HON. R. R. GREER. Among the early settlers of the city of Kearney, and a man who has been prominently identified with the best business interests of the Midway city, as well as those of his adopted county and state, is Hon. R. R. Greer, more generally and familiarly known as "Bob" Greer, a biographical notice of whom here follows. Mr. Greer is of Irish-American origin and in his make-up he presents a happy blending of the chief traits of the two people from whom he is descended. His father, James L. Greer, was a native of Ireland and was brought to this country by his parents when a child. He was reared mainly in Pittsburgh, Pa., where his parents


settled, immigrating West at the age of nineteen and locating in Schuyler county, Ill. There he met and married Miss Nancy Wilson, a Kentucky-born lady, whose parents, Elijah and Martha Wilson, had immigrated some years before from Kentucky into the Illinois territory when that country was thrown open to settlement and had cast their fortunes on the then frontier, in what is now Schuyler county. Settling down to the peaceful pursuits of agriculture in the county of their adoption, James L. and Nancy Greer are living, engrossed in their personal and domestic affairs. They are both zealous members of the Methodist church and take an active interest in all church work, being generous contributors also to all charitable purposes. They reared a family of six children, four boys and two girls, as follows - Emma, Robert R., George, Charles, Hattie and Moulton. The second of these and the eldest son, Robert R., the subject of this notice, was born and reared in Schuyler county, Ill., having been brought up on his father's farm and following agricultural pursuits during his earlier years. Quitting the farm on reaching his majority, he began life for himself as a clerk in a mercantile establishment at Rushville, Ill., following clerical pursuits there and in that vicinity for some years. Coming West then, he lived a while at Peru, Nebr., and afterwards in Holt county, Mo., and finally in the spring of 1873 he came to Buffalo county, this state, and located in Kearney, which was just starting, having hardly then reached the dignity of a cross roads village. Mr. Greer engaged at once in the mercantile business, becoming one of Kearney's first merchants, as he afterwards became one of the most successful ones. He was engaged in business for more than sixteen years, and it is no exaggeration to say that he sold, during that time, many a hundred thousand dollars' worth of goods, having a trade extending not only throughout all Buffalo county, but into the southwestern counties across the Platte river and into the northwestern counties among the ranchmen along several forks of the Loup and Dismal and beyond that. Of course he made money - with the early opportunities he enjoyed and his attentive business habits and methods, he could not do otherwise. Like a prudent man, he invested his means as they accumulated beyond his business acquirements, in real estate in Kearney and Buffalo county, and with the gradual improvement of the county and the consequent rise in values these investments brought him good returns. Closing out his mercantile affairs in July, 1889, he has since given his time and attention to his investments and to duties of a public nature, in connection with offices with which he has been honored. Mr. Greer has been identified with the growth and development of Kearney and Buffalo county since the day he cast his fortunes with them, and he has taken an active and, in some instances, a conspicuous, part in different enterprises which have been set on foot for the betterment of the material and social condition of his community. He has kept up his interest in agriculture and has been the able champion of the farmers' rights and privileges in this state.
    He is now president of the Nebraska State Fair Association and has done much valuable work for the agricultural, horticultural, live stock and dairying interests of the state. Mr. Greer visits other states,


    attends fairs and stock shows and gathers information, which he lays before the public, from time to time, in the shape of annual reports, and thus carries theory and practice along hand in hand and gets at the same time the benefit of the experience of others engaged by similar lines of endeavor. Mr. Greer is often called in consultation with Gov. Thayer.
    Personally, Mr. Greer is popular, being well and favorably known by all the old settlers with whom he had dealings in the early days. He is wide awake and progressive in his views, and welcomes all new-comes (sic) and encourages the bringing of capital and new industries. He is, in short, a thorough-going man of affairs. Polite, genial and affable - one whom it is a pleasure to meet either in business or social relation, and of whose personality even the casual acquaintance retains a distinct and happy remembrance.
    Mr. Greer was united in marriage to Miss Susie Peter in 1873, a very lovely lady of Rushville, Ill. Mrs. Greer is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.

EGAR H. ANDREWS is one of the most popular and best known young farmers in Buffalo county, and was born in Williamstown, Vt., Jan, 3, 1855. His father, David Andrews, was born in Cabot, Vt., August 1, 1821; was reared on a farm and upon arriving at the age of maturity chose farming as his occupation. He married Elizabeth House, daughter of Halsey House, a native of Vermont, who died about 1868.
    The senior Andrews came West about the close of the war, and resided at Black Hawk, Colo.,.for a short time; but, not being pleased with the appearance of the country in that region, he retraced his foot-steps, stopping at Grinnell, Iowa, where he purchased land and immediately engaged in farming. His experience in the field of agriculture at this point extended over a period of eight years. He was not satisfied, however, and, disposing of his chattels and realty, he moved to Buffalo county, Nebr., arriving here in the spring of 1873. After prospecting about for a short time he purchased a quarter section of land on the banks of the Wood river in Centre township, where the soil, for richness and fertility, can not be excelled in the county. He then and there decided to make this his permanent home, and seventeen years of marvelous development have proven the wisdom of his decision. He and his estimable wife are still living in the enjoyment of a ripe old age of almost three score years and ten.
    E. H. Andrews, the subject proper of this brief memoir, was only eighteen years old when he came with his father to Buffalo county, but he had faith in the great future development of the Platte valley and took advantage of the exceedingly low price of land by purchasing two hundred and eighty acres in the Wood River valley in Centre township. The country then was one vast desert of unbroken prairie, and farming, as one can well imagine, was not a very paying business for the first three or four years. The grasshopper plague in 1874-5-6, was one of the most vexatious and discouraging things with which the early settlers had to contend. Fields of waving corn which gave every promise of an abundant crop


    in the morning, would be stripped of every vestige of life by nightfall. The destruction was not so great the next year, but the third was simply a repetition of the first. Many, disheartened and on the very verge of starvation, returned to their former places of habitation, while others, some of whom did not have the means to get away with, remained. The next year a bountiful crop was harvested and the few remaining settlers renewed their courage and went forward, improving and developing the country, until now they know no such thing as a failure of crops. Young Andrews was one of the few who never lost faith in the future of the new country; but, instead, redoubled his energies in the midst of famine, and was prepared to welcome the new era of prosperity with a smile of serene confidence.
    E. H. Andrews was married September 14, 1880, to Miss Carrie Longstreet, who was born in Syracuse, N. Y., December 11,1858. She is the daughter of Cornelius and Esther Longstreet, both natives of New York, the former having been born October 11, 1833, and the latter December 27, 1830. Her father was a farmer and mechanic, and for three years was paymaster on board a ship. They were both strictly religious people and active members of the Methodist church. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Andrews has resulted in the birth of two children - Abbie, born July 15, 1883 (deceased), and Bessie, born September 5, 1885.
    Mr. Andrews has always exhibited a fondness for fine stock, and his efforts for several years have been directed toward the production of the very best horses, cattle and hogs. Besides being quite an extensive dealer in cattle and hogs, he makes a specialty of pure-bred horses. His stables contain several as fine specimens of imported Clydesdale and Norman stallions as the foreign markets afford. He also has a few imported brood-mares of the same pure blood, and takes great pains in raising their progeny. He believes the best is always the cheapest, and that it costs no more to raise a pure-bred horse than it does an inferior one. Mr. Andrews is a young man of good education, full of the vigor of life, and thoroughly posted on the leading issues of the day. He has several times been honored with the secretaryship of the Buffalo county agricultural society, and, in fact, is one of the rising young men of the county.

GEORGE W. CORNELL was born in Warren county, near Dayton, Ohio, Oct. 18, 1835, and is the son of Sylvenus and Sara (Flora) Cornell. His father was born in New York in 1790, and served in the war of 1812. About 1810 he moved to Ohio, where he died in 1879. John Cornell, grandfather of our subject, was a Canadian by birth, but whose father came from England and is believed to have constructed and operated the first flouring mill in the Dominion of Canada.
    George W. Cornell began life as a farmer in Warren county, Ohio, at the age of twenty-four. He had, however, served an apprenticeship at saddle-making, but never followed the trade to any great extent. In 1852 he entered Delaware University, at Delaware, Ohio, where he remained for three years.


In 1859 he joined a company at Kansas City, comprising about seventy-five men and fifty yoke of oxen, and went on an expedition to Pike's Peak.
    He returned in a year or so, however, and engaged in farming, until 1868, when he moved to Dayton and engaged in the coal and wood business.
    In the fall of 1870 the Soldiers' and Sailors' Emigration Colony, of Dayton, Ohio, was organized, with Mr. Cornell as president. In 1871 several members, including the president, were sent to Buffalo county, Nebr., to inspect the country and report to the organization the result of their observations. The report sent back was highly satisfactory and in the following spring several more members came out and took claims. Mr. Cornell purchased 539 acres of railroad land just outside the present limits of the city of Kearney.
    Mr. Cornell was appointed distributing clerk for Buffalo county during the grasshopper times, when provision and clothing were sent from all over the East to the unfortunate settlers in this desert region. Many families were so destitute of the actual necessities of life that they were obliged to live on frozen potatoes, corn meal and boiled wheat. It was indeed a time of great suffering throughout the entire county, and many men came to Mr. Cornell in those days and told him they did not have a mouthful to eat in their houses. In 1877 an era of prosperity set in and since then there has been very little suffering among the people for want of food and clothing.
    Mr. Cornell was married January 25,1860, to Rebecca Davis, who was born near Xenia, Ohio, January 7, 1837, and is the daughter of Jonathan and     (space left blank). Six children were born of this union, namely - Florence, born November 17, 1860 (wife of William Paterson); Willis E., born July 31, 1862 (deceased); Carrie I., born September 8, 1863 (deceased); Mary A., born October 10, 1865 (wife of Wm. Bishop); Sarah A., born September 23, 1873. George S., born October 22, 1879. Mr. Cornell was deputy sheriff under Capt. Anderson in 1875.

R. W. FARR (deceased) was born in Ohio, July 23, 1832. His parents moved to Boone county, Ill., when he was seven years old, and there he was reared on a farm and had few opportunities for obtaining an education as the country was new and sparsely settled. He proved to be an industrious youth, however, and took advantage of every opportunity presented him for self-culture. In this way he managed to secure a fair business education, which proved a great boon to him in after life.
    In 1855 he was married to Miss Mary C. Mullen. She was a native of New York and born August 10,1838. She was a daughter of Philip and Rachael (Canty) Mullen, the former a native of New York and the latter of Wales. Her parents located in Illinois in 1852, and in 1871 they came to Nebraska, where her father died in 1884.
    Soon after marriage Mr. Farr concluded to immigrate to Iowa, then being rapidly settled by Eastern people. He finally located near Fayette, Fayette county, that state, where he purchased a farm and entered upon the quiet pursuits of agricul-


Scans of original pages provided by Vicky Stephens
© Mona J Houser 1998, 1999, 2000 for NEGenWeb Project