ture, but his success in this line was frequently interrupted by ill-health. He suffered from frequent and serious attacks of a complicated nature and at one time he was confined to his room most of the time for four years. He finally disposed of his farm and moved to town, engaging in the livery business, but was sick so much of the time that he was unable to attend to his affairs in a satisfactory manner, so he finally disposed of his business and concluded to try his fortune further West. He set out for Nebraska, where he arrived in March, 1871, locating in Hall county, near Grand Island. He took a homestead, which he sold six years later and located in Buffalo county, where he took a tree claim in Cherry Creek township in August, 1877, but sold this in a few years and purchased a quarter section of railroad land in the same vicinity. He began breaking and otherwise improving until he made it one of the most attractive farms in the community. During these years he suffered from the usual annoyances incident to the early settlement of this part of the country. The crops were either entirely destroyed by the grasshoppers or were injured by hail or drouth. (sic) Mr. Farr, though sufering (sic) from ill health, was a man of remarkable courage and determination and was always of a jovial disposition and never appeared discouraged, although his patience was many a time put to a severe test.
    To Mr. and Mrs. Farr were born two sons - Earnest H., born February 6, 1857, now a prosperous young farmer, and Levi J., born August 22,1875. The last named has had poor health for some time, and the fond parents, thinking a change of climate would prove beneficial to the invalid youth, spent a year and a half in Tennessee, returning in the spring of 1887. Mr. Farr seemed to have gained renewed vitality as well as his son, and upon his return began his farm work. He was taken suddenly ill, however, and died on the fifteenth day of July, 1887. Mr. Farr was a man who never lacked for friends and who enjoyed the confidence and esteem of all who knew him. To his faithful wife, who bestowed her tender care and sympathy through all his years of sickness, he was ever grateful.

WILLIAM McLELLAN is a prosperous farmer living eight miles north of Kearney in Divide township. He was born November 18, 1837, at Washington C. H., Fayette county, Ohio, and is the sixth in a family of twelve children born to William S. and Margaret (Wright) McLellan, who were natives of New England; the former, a farmer by occupation, was born at Portland, Me., in 1795; the latter was born in 1810. The other members of the paternal family are as follows - Maria L., Mary J., Eliza, Alfred, Theodore, Joseph, Elizabeth E., Maggie, Horton H., Oscar W. and Frank. His paternal grandfather, Joseph McLellan, was of Scotch-Irish descent, and was born April 18, 1762. He was captain of a boat on the Atlantic ocean, and the chart which he used has been handed down and is now in the possession of our subject. William in his early days attended school in the country until a rudimentary education was obtained, after which he


attended the high school in Washington C. H. He engaged in farming until the war broke out, and on April 20,1861, he responded to his country's call, enlisting in the Twenty-second regiment, Ohio volunteers. He accompanied his regiment to Parkersburgh and Clarksburgh, Va., and was mustered out at the expiration of his time, August 19,1861,at Athens, Ohio. He returned home and remained two months and then re-enlisted October 19, as a musician, with the same regiment, playing first baritone. The first engagement of note under this enlistment was the battle of Shiloh, where, on account of many of the soldiers being sick, the band boys left their horns in their tents and took guns, participating throughout the fight. In pursuance of an order sent out from head-quarters to discharge all band men who desired to go, he was mustered out April 24, 1862. He returned home for a short time, but the old war fever was too strong within him for resistance, and he accordingly volunteered August 9, 1862, and continued in the service until the close of the war. He did guard duty at Washington city, was with Kilpatrick on his raid to Richmond, and in all participated in seventeen battles, including the battles of Gettysburg, Brandy station (at which battle he had his horse shot from under him) and many others of note. He was discharged June 13, 1865.
    Mr. McLellan was married August 26, 1862, just before returning to the war the third time, to Mary E. Saunders, which union has resulted in the birth of eleven children, as follows - William, born December 28, 1863; Nella, born August 5, 1865 ; Charles, January 28, 1867 ; Etta, January 31, 1869; Harry, March 13, 1871; Edwin, February 13, 1873; Alvora, January 19, 1875; Maggie, March 4, 1878; Horton, December 8, 1883; Oscar, September 13, 1885 ; and Grace, born September 18,1887.
    Mr. and Mrs. McLellan continued to reside in Fayette county, Ohio, until March, 1880, when they came West and located on their present farm in Divide township, which they have greatly improved, having built a neat frame dwelling and put one hundred and thirty acres of their quarter section under cultivation. They are both active members of the Methodist church, he having been one of the trustees of the first organization in their community. Mr. McLellan, politically, is a stanch republican, and is now serving as the clerk of his town.

WILLIAM G. PATTERSON is one of the earliest settlers of Divide township, Buffalo county, having located here in the early seventies, when but twenty-one years of age. He was born in Wayne county, Pa., July 27, 1853. His father, Robert Patterson, was a native of Ireland, born in the year 1827. His mother, Jane (Henry) Patterson, was also a native of Ireland, and was born in 1830. When William was one and a half years old his parents moved to New York, where they resided for nine years, after which they returned to Leadsdale, Wayne county, Pa. Remaining there two years, they next moved to Lincoln county, Wis., where they resided for two years, during which time William attended the neighboring school. In 1869 he, in company with his parents, returned to Wayne county, Pa., where he served a three-


years' apprenticeship at the tinner's trade. In the spring of 1872 he went to Chicago, where, on account of the big fire the fall before, there was great demand for workmen at his trade, and there he was employed on the dome of the great exposition building and many other structures of note. He remained in Chicago, working at his trade, for two years, and in April, 1874, came West and located in Buffalo county, Nebr. He farmed and worked at his trade in Kearney the first year, and the following year devoted his time exclusively to farming, putting out a large crop of corn, oats and wheat, from which he harvested a fair crop. In 1876 he put out forty acres of wheat, ten acres of corn and seven acres of oats, which were entirely destroyed by the grasshoppers ; and he, like many others, was obliged to haul corn from Smith Centre, Kans., a distance of one hundred and twenty-five miles. When Mr. Patterson first came to this county deer and antelope were plentiful and some elk were still to be found. He hunted considerably in those days, and reports having killed both deer and elk. His well-improved farm, lying north of Kearney, in Divide township, speaks of itself of his prosperity since coming to this county.
    Mr. Patterson was married February 27, 1877, to Florence E. Cornell, who was born November 17, 1860, and is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George W. Cornell, whose biographical memoir appears elsewhere in this volume. The union of Mr. and Mrs. Patterson has resulted in the birth of two children - George H. born November 14, 1878, and Stella A., born January 23, 1880. In politics Mr. Patterson is independent.

AARON HEDGES is of the line of a thrifty Maryland family, who were pioneers of that state. His father was Moses Hedges, born in Maryland, in 1799, and in early childhood was taken by his parents to Virginia and remained there till 1864; thence he removed to Woodford county, Ill., and there remained till death, which occurred in 1872. He was a republican in politics. For a number of years Mr. Hedges was connected with the Methodist Episcopal church, of which he was an active memberand liberal supporter. He married Miss Nancy Jones, a native of Virginia, and to them were born eight children, namely - David (died in 1868); Mary Ann, lives in Dawson county, Nebr.; Aaron; Sarah, wife of Mr. Ward, a retired farmer, and M. T., in Kansas. Three died in infancy. The subject, Aaron Hedges, is a native of Virginia and was born in 1831. In 1864 he moved to Woodford county, Ill., and thence to Nebraska, in 1881, settling on section 20, township 9, range 18 west, Elm Creek township, Buffalo county.
    In 1851 Mr. Hedges began life for himself with only a strong body and willing hands. His first earnings were invested in cattle, which proved to be a good investment. He continued to be prosperous till 1873, being worth at that time $22,000, when a firm, in which he had implicit confidence, failed; leaving him a security to pay $16,000. He remarked "I have made it once and I can make it again." In 1873 he began a second time, and at present has 720 acres of land, fifty-three horses and 220 head of cattle, in company with his son.
    Mr. Hedges was married to Miss Linsey, a native of Virginia, born in 1831, and an


active member in the Methodist Episcopal church for a number of years. Their union was blessed with an only son, Joshua K. (born 1851, died October, 1889). After the death of his wife, Mr. Hedges, in 1873, married Miss Sarah Boyd, a native of Illinois, and a graduate of Eureka College, that state. Mr. and Mrs. Hedges are both members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Their union has been blessed with four children, namely - Charles (born 1874, died 1889); Brook Talmage (born 1875); Ula (born 1877); Ella (born 1880).

JAMES SMITH. A history of Buffalo county, containing biographical mention of her prosperous farmers would be incomplete without the name of James Smith. He is the son of Robert and Nancy (Crawford) Smith, both natives of Ireland, who came to America, in 1827, to make their future home. Robert Smith first located at Paterson, N. J., remaining ten years; thence he moved to York State, where he remained three years, and from there to Monroe county, Mich., in 1840, where he remained until his death, which occurred in 1865. Just previous to death he called his children to his bedside and his parting counsel was for all to live a Christian life. When he had finished speaking he gently and peacefully fell asleep. Mr. Smith was a consistent and much beloved member of the Congregational church and was strongly opposed to secret orders. In the community in which he lived he was always highly esteemed for his upright and honorable dealing, and his word was considered as good as his note. His occupation was farming, but in Paterson, N. J., he was engaged in weaving. He bore the reputation of being a good financier and was very prosperous in all his work. In politics he was a republican. Mrs. Nancy (Crawford) Smith was born in 1797, and was also an active member of the Congregational church for years. She was a kind and affectionate mother, with a heart full of sympathy for persons in poverty or distress. She survived her husband twenty-one years, and departed this life in 1886, well prepared to enter the "Heavenly Rest." She bore eight children, six of whom still live to mourn her loss - Jane (deceased), James, John, who lives in Los Angeles, Cal.; Robert, who lives on a homestead in Michigan; Thomas, Sarah (Mrs. Graham), Nancy (deceased), Martha (Mrs. Kimball), living on Indiana avenue, Chicago.
    James Smith, the subject, was born April 15, 1823, in New Jersey. He remained with his parents on the farm until twenty-one years of age. He then went to Toledo, Ohio, and in 1883 migrated to Nebraska, settling on section 19, township 9, range 18 west. He now owns five hundred and sixty acres of good land, due to industry, but his prosperity has not caused him to forget the "Giver of all good," and he stands an active member of the Methodist Episcopal church, ever ready to respond to the calls of charity. He has been blessed with two children to bring cheer to his declining years - Julia Augusta, a graduate of the Toledo high school and a teacher for several terms, but now at home with her father, and James Joshua, also at home.


JOHN TYLER. Prominent among the early pioneers of Buffalo county is the subject of this sketch. His father was Joseph Tyler, a native of France, born in 1801, and who came to America in 1829, settling in Buffalo, N. Y. There for awhile he followed his trade-weaving. From Buffalo he moved to Burlington, Racine county, Wis., where he continued at his trade and also engaged in farming to some extent. From Wisconsin he moved to Elm Creek, Nebr., where he died in 1884. He was a kind and generous man, and from childhood was a devoted member of the Catholic church. His marriage took place in France to a Miss Barbara Ring, born in 1804, and likewise a devoted member of the Catholic church from childhood. She was a woman dearly beloved by all who knew her, and departed this life. May 9, 1880, four years previous to her husband. To Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Tyler were born the following children-Barbara, deceased ; Joseph, who died in Andersonville prison, after a confinement of thirteen months; Jacob, living in Sterling, Nebr.; Catherine, now Mrs. Arendt; John, the subject of this sketch, and Josephine, who died in 1885. John Tyler was born in 1841, in Buffalo, N. Y. While in Wisconsin he began life for himself by engaging in the lumbering business. In 1873 he came to Elm Creek, Nebr., and engaged in mercantile business, in which he continued for ten or eleven years, and since then he has farmed. At one time he took a homestead along the Platte river but traded it for a spotted coach dog. He then settled on section 28, township 9, range 18, and also owns one-fourth of section 20, township 9, range 18. Mr. Tyler is a member of the Catholic church, as is also his wife - Mrs. Bridget (Rodgers) Tyler. She was born in New Brunswick in 1843, and when ten years old moved with her parents to Carlton, Kewaunee county, Wis., and there was married in 1865. To this union have been born seven children - Josephine (Mrs. Loible), living in Elm Creek; John, who died when eight years old ; Joseph, Charlie, Freddie, Georgie and Eddie at home.

EDWARD FITZGERALD, one of Buffalo county's most prosperous farmers, is a son of Patrick and Kate Fitzgerald, natives of county Water- ford, Ireland. The father died in 1860, and was a man kindly thought of for his many good qualities. Both father and mother were devoted members of the Catholic church, and were the parents of eight children, viz. - Kate (deceased), Ellen and Lawrence (at home), Edward deceased), James (in Australia), Matthew, Edward and Mary (Mrs. Coffee).
    Edward Fitzgerald, the subject of this sketch, is also a native of county Waterford, Ireland. He came to America in 1875, first settling in Nebraska; he then moved to Colorado, where he remained for six years. In the year 1881, he returned to Nebraska, locating in Elm Creek township, Buffalo county, and settling on section 26, township 9, range 18 west, where he now resides. By economy and industry Mr. Fitzgerald has accumulated enough property to be called "well off" and he sustains an enviable reputation for honesty. He apparently


makes it a rule of life to "Owe no man anything." In 1881 he was married to Miss Kate Coffee, a native of county Waterford, Ireland, born in 1854. Mr. and Mrs. Fitzgerald are both members of the Catholic church. Politically, Mr. Fitzgerald is a democrat, and is now serving as school treasurer.

JOHN LUCE, a prosperous farmer in Gardner township, Buffalo county, was born in Wyoming county, Pa., November 20, 1831, and is the son of Abram and Amanda (Osier) Luce. The senior Luce was born in New Jersey, in 1804, and after marriage settled in Pennsylvania. He was a wagon-maker by trade, but devoted most of his time to farming. He died in 1869.
    John Luce, the subject of this sketch, was the youngest of a family of six children. His mother, who bore the maiden name of Amanda Osier, died when he was but six days old, and he was reared by his grandparents. His youthful ambition was to be a carpenter and he began serving an apprenticeship at sixteen. After an experience of four years he was obliged to quit work on account of trouble with his eyes, and for two years he was entirely blind.
    He regained his eyesight, however, in time to offer his services to the government before the war closed. He joined the Second Pennsylania heavy artillery, and saw some hard fighting in the battles of the Wilderness, Cold Harbor, Petersburg and Richmond. He helped tear up the Weldon railroad and was stationed at Petersburg for nine months after Lee's surrender. He was discharged January 29, 1866.
    In March, 1878, he emigrated from Pennsylvania to Buffalo county, Nebr., taking up a soldier's homestead in Gardner township. His was the fifth family to settle in the township, and it was some time before there was any settlement to speak of in his immediate locality. He came to this country with very limited means and was compelled to practice economy in every way possible. He built a sod house and began breaking the prairie preparatory to planting a small crop the following season. He paid $2.50 per acre to have fifteen acres of sod broke, and worked, himself, at sixty cents a day to pay for it. There were no regularly laid out roads in those days, and every traveler selected his own route. He made frequent trips to the Loup for fuel, and during the long and severe winter of 1880-81 he was obliged to burn hay and cornstalks for fuel.
    John Luce was united in marriage, October 17, 1858, to Miss Annie MaGee. She was born in Susquehannah county, Pa., October 5, 1838, and is the daughter of Ebenezer and Lucy (Root) MaGee, the former a native of New York and the latter of Connecticut. Her father died in February, 1876, and her mother in 1885. Mr. and Mrs. Luce have had six children - Riley W., Benny (deceased), Mary (deceased), Charley, George and Ella E. In April, 1885, Mr. Luce was instrumental in establishing the Luce postoffice, and has since been the postmaster. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and Farmers' Alliance, and is independent in politics. He is one of the leading farmers in the township, and enjoys the confidence and esteem of all who know him.


ALBERT G. WELCH, one of the enterprising and well-to-do citizens of Gardner township, Buffalo county, was born in Vermont, March 10, 1854. His parents, George W. and Electa M. (Coney) Welch, were both natives of the Green Mountain State and moved to Illinois in the spring of 1856, when Albert was only two years old. The family settled in Henry county, where they remained for ten years. In 1866 they moved to Cass county, Iowa, where the father died in 1871. He was a farmer all his life, a zealous member of the Methodist church and a man respected and admired for his many good qualities.
    Albert G. was the eldest of a family of six children. His educational advantages were limited to the common district school, which he attended during the winter months while engaged in assisting his father on the home place. Being brought up on a farm his natural inclinations seemed to run along on that line, and when he arrived at his majority he concluded to adopt farming as his vocation through life.
    Mr. Welch, being of an ambitious nature, believed the West offered greater opportunities to a young man just starting in life than the older settled states. In 1878 he came to Buffalo county, Nebr., with the fixed determination of securing a home no matter what obstacles he might meet with. It was the last day in December, 1878, when he filed his papers on the northwest quarter of section 8, in Gardner township.
    He built a dug-out in a convenient place, and settled down for the winter. He brought two teams, some cattle and about $200 in money with him from Iowa. A few settlers were erecting houses in the neighborhood, but the settlers were few and far between. His claim was located on the very backbone of the divide between the Loup and Platte rivers, and he could stand on one spot and look over into four counties. When spring opened he went seven miles to find ground enough broke that he could rent to plant some potatoes and corn. The second year he purchased a riding plow and his good wife broke sod while he did the planting. She also helped him put up sixty tons of hay that fall. There was plenty of deer, antelope and other wild game roaming about the bluffs, and the settlers who cared to shoot them could keep themselves well supplied with fresh meats. The Welch ranch was headquarters for some time for cattlemen driving their herds from the south Loup country to Grand Island to market. It was the only place on the route where they could corral and get water, and they always made it a point to stop over night when passing through that country.
    The first two or three years in the new country tried the courage of the settler. Mr. Welch was no exception to the rule. He had come with limited means and had hard work to cope with the many disappointments and make both ends meet. In the fall of 1879 he procured employment in the mill race at Shelton and the money thus earned proved of great assistance. He often went sixty miles after timber with which to build sheds to shelter his stock.
    Mr. Welch was married July 2, 1874, the lady whom he selected as his companion through life being Miss Amy Ayelsworth. She was born in McHenry county, Ill., July 20, 1856. She was a daughter of William H. and Amanda (Gardner)


Ayelsworth, both of whom were natives of New York. They immigrated to Illinois in 1848, where her father died in 1870. He was a tailor by trade but followed farming the latter part of his life.
    Mr. and Mrs. Welch have had two children, viz. - Flora A., born September 7, 1877, died December 16,1887, and Theron Earl, born February 13, 1886.
    Mr. Welch has one hundred and sixty acres of choice land, which he has supplied with all modern improvements. He has taken great pains in raising fruit and has one of the finest young apple orchards in the county. It comprises over four hundred thrifty trees which are beginning to bear handsomely. He has a large variety of the smaller fruits growing and is recognized as one of the most successful fruit growers in the county. He also takes considerable pride in stock-raising and is just entering upon a successful career in that line.

Photo of A. H. Conner

GEN. ALEXANDER H. CONNOR. General Connor's father, William Connor, was of Irish extraction, was born in Pennsylvania and raised in Michigan and Indiana. In western Pennsylvania, while a lad, he was captured by the Indians and taken to Fort Detroit, Mich., where he was released and conducted by white settlers to the Northwest Territory, now southeast Indiana, where he finally located near the present town of Brookville, and where he was for many years a surveyor and Indian trader. Inured to the dangers and hazards of pioneer life, he was a typical frontiersman. He founded Connorsville, Ind., where he resided many years, afterwards moving to Hamilton county, that state, and then to Noblesville, where he died in 1855. He was a member of the Indiana legislature and held a number of minor positions in different localities where he lived. Like the early settlers of that period, he served in the Indian wars, and participated in the battle of Tippecanoe, the importance of which made the elder Harrison president of the United States. He rested at the ripe age of seventy-five.
    The maiden name of General Connor's mother was Elizabeth Chapman, and she was a native of New York. She is still living, having attained the great age of eighty-six.
    Alexander H. Connor was born in Hamilton county, Ind., in 1832. He was reared on his father's farm and received such an education as the common schools of that period afforded. He studied law under the tuition of Judge Earl S. Stone, afterward attending the New York law school, and was admitted to the bar at Noblesville in 1854, where he practiced till 1856, when he was elected a member of the state legislature. After serving his term in the legislature he located at Indianapolis, where he resided for a number of years, practicing his profession, taking an active part in the politics of the state, and being prominently connected with local interests in and around the capital city. In 1860 he was chosen chairman of the Indiana state republican central committee, and by his political sagacity and leadership the state threw its support to Lincoln. He was thus honored in 1862, 1866 and 1868. He was


appointed postmaster at Indianapolis in 1861 by President Lincoln in recognition of his valuable political services, and held this position till the tragic death of Lincoln made Andrew Johnson president; then he tendered his resignation in anticipation of being removed. From 1862 to 1871 he was interested in the Indianapolis Journal, then the leading party organ of the state, and now one of the representative papers of the West. His newspaper experience, while a success politically, was a failure financially, and to free it from the embarrassment of debt, General Connor gave up the hard earnings of a successful career and began life again almost penniless. As many others had done, he turned his face westward, and in September, 1872, he formed a partnership with F. G. Hamer in the practice of law, which continued till Judge Hamer went on the bench.
    General Connor possesses an aptitude for politics. He was a member of the constitutional convention in 1874, presidential elector in 1876, and has been elected to the senate three times, and is serving his third term at the present time. His sterling integrity gives him a hold upon the people that renders his political aspirations devoid of opposition.
    His chosen profession has been the ambition of his life, and success has attended his efforts in this direction. He is a logical thinker, eloquent speaker, ripe lawyer, able legislator, good citizen, beloved neighbor, earnest, liberal, progressive and charitable without stint. He seems to have inherited the world-famed patriotic eloquence of the sons of old Erin. Whether on the hustings, the rostrum, or in the forum, the pathos of his earnest appeals, the rhetoric of a silver tongue, and the logic of a well-drilled legal mind, carry his audiences away. As an orator, he has few equals in the state, and the secret of this dramatic power lies in his profound earnestness. He will live in the history of Nebraska, for he has helped to make it.

CARLTON B. CASS, editor, publisher and proprietor of the Ravenna News, is a native of Albany, N. Y., and was born June 9, 1867. He is a son of Horatio G. and Mary (Babcock) Cass, natives also of New York and descendants of old York State ancestors. His parents came West in 1875 and settled in in Aurora, Hamilton county, this state, where they now live, his father being superintendent of the water works.
    The subject of this sketch started out for himself at the age of thirteen, entering the office of the Hamilton county News, where he began to master the rudiments of the "art preservative." In 1886, then eighteen years old, he went to Ravenna, Buffalo county, and started the Ravenna Star, this being his first newspaper venture. After running this successfully for some time he sold it out and went then to Stratton, in Hitchcock county, this state, where he established the Stratton Democrat. He conducted this successfully for more than a year, when he sold it out and returned to Ravenna and bought the News, of which he is now editor, publisher and proprietor. Mr. Cass is a born and bred newspaper man. He has a strong liking


for the business, is a good rustler and a ready and forcible writer, and possesses decided convictions and is fearless and out-spoken in opinion. He has a taste for politics and has been somewhat active in political matters. He is a thorough hater of pretense and profession, and scourges vice and iniquity with a vigorous hand wherever he finds it. In politics he inclines towards the democratic faith, but conducts his paper as an independent organ. He is young, ambitious, and possesses the will to do and the soul to dare. He is a hard worker, and is attentive to business. Although active in politics he has never sought office for himself, being content to pursue his own business purposes. He is public-spirited, however, and has attended several conventions and associations of a political and social nature. He is pleasant and companionable in common intercourse and as kind and accommodating a gentleman as one could hope to meet.

L. J. BABCOCK is a representative business man of the town of Gibbon, Buffalo county. He is not an old timer, strictly speaking, and the record of his experiences does not, therefore, begin with the date of the settlement of the colony. He located in Gibbon, October 20, 1875, four years and a half after the colony was started. He struck the receding end of the grasshopper season and got a few breaths of hot air from the dry years. He saw something of the historic hard times. Still he is a man of more recent growth than the original old settlers. But he is, like them, almost a product of the soil. He came West, as most men do, with little or nothing. He started in, as the common saying goes, on the bottom round of the ladder. He is not yet either rich or famous, but he has secured a footing and, as appearances indicate, is in a fair way to get on in the world. The steps by which he has risen have necessarily been slow and tedious. His case at the outset of his career did not differ very widely from that of the average young man who comes West in pursuit of fortune. His methods and their results, however, have been decidedly different.
    But few young men come West with a settled determination to locate in one place and by hard and persistent effort build up a business and a character which will serve them in years to come. The race for wealth, the contest for glory, becomes too absorbing to admit of the tedious processes of growth. It is worthy of note (and the fact is here emphasized because of the rarity of its occurrence), that the subject of this sketch, when he decided to stay in the West, made up his mind to locate in one place and remain there. His purpose was to grow with the place. He began at once to gather a practical knowledge of his intended business, of his surroundings and of the people among whom he expected to live. Mr. Babcock served an apprenticeship to the tinner's trade in his youth and worked at it as a journeyman after growing up. He was master of the craft when he came to Nebraska. It was the chosen business of his life. On settling he at once secured a location and opened a shop. In connection therewith he opened


Scans of original pages provided by Vicky Stephens
© Mona J Houser 1998, 1999, 2000 for NEGenWeb Project