Missionary work was done in Kearney as early as 1889 by Rev. Schabacker who came 40 miles from his station at Luce, in the northeast corner of Buffalo County. Pastor Baumhoefner of Trinity in Grand Island helped Rev. Schabacker contact persons of the Lutheran faith in Kearney, and arrangements were made for services to be held. Rev. Schabacker made the difficult trip every 3 weeks to hold services. In November 1911, the church called Rev. A C Baumann to be their first pastor. The church was formally organized in 1913, and joined Missouri Synod in 1921. Some of the very early records from Kearney may be found in the books of Immanuel, Amherst.
Early members were: Otto Wiederaenders, Herman Peterson, Erick Oslund, H. M. Kanzler, R. Nuttelman, and Herman Meyer, Edward Knielbaum, Walter Baumann and the Rev. A.C. Baumann.
The Christian Day School was begun in 1930. Their new and current church building was dedicated in 1951.